[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would be the best hammock for long term/consistent use.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

What would be the best hammock for long term/consistent use. I need something durable and light at the same time. Also should I get a two person or two one person hammocks for me and gf? Any suggestions?
>>
A tent
>>
>>1063130
There is no such thing as a 2 person hammock.

Go ahead and try to sleep 2 people in a hammock, at first it's not bad.

A few hours later, time and gravity have pushed you both together at the lowest point of the hammock into ine sweaty lump of human meat. It's awful.

Your question is way too open ended. Where are you going? What temps are expected? What tarp are you using, what are you using for insulation, how tall are you, do you need bug protection, do you side sleep or on your back?

Or just buy an ENO like I'm sure someone will reccomend, because spending twice as much on an inferior product sounds like fun.
>>
>>1063130
I use a Grand Trunk UL, but that isn't for everyone. If you need a setup all in one, the Hennessy Hammock is apparently pretty great

Also like >>1063173 said two people in a hammock is not that fun and ENO is pretty bad imo because of price. Why spend that much when you can do it for cheaper AND have better product?
>>
Buy a single person hammock from honest outfitters for 20 bucks on Amazon. It comes with straps. The garuntee is that if you don't like it you keep the hammock and get a refund. Basically a free hammock
>>
>>1063173
>>1063195

I'm glad you guys mentioned ENO as I like the idea of getting a hammock like this for more casual use. What do you think about the other brands that are literally half the price? I'm talking about Winner Outfitters, Newdora or Honest Outfitters.

They look like the same product only they cost much less. Any experience with them?
>>
>>1063201
I have no experience with those brands, so I have to plug the Grand Trunk UL.
Literally $20 for the hammock and maybe $15 for a DIY Whoopie Sling Suspension.
An ENO Single is $60 WITHOUT suspension. Add straps, you're talking another $30.

$90 or $35: you choose
>>
>>1063173
Thanks for the advice, a two person hammock was mentioned by a friend but I'll steer clear. I'll be camping in places from Georgia to the upper parts of New York, my plan is to camp in each state in the eastern America spanning the next 10 to 20 years or so. I'll also try to camp locally where I live (Pennsylvania) To get used to camping for longer times. As for my height im about 5.8 and I definitely need bug protection. For insulation I have an coghlans emergancy blanket, it's not much, I'll take suggestions for a good insulator. I sleep on my side mostly but I also sleep on my back as well.
>>
>>1063209
Money isn't a big concern, rather durability is. I'm looking at an ENO sub7, I'll see how that feels and then I'll check out the Grand Trunk UL. I'd like to have the sub 7 be triple stitched like the GT UL but I suppose I could do it at home anyway. I would like the GT UL to be made of nylon tho so I think I'll go for the sub 7. I think I'll get a tarp and net separately to go with it but I don't know what to get. Is it possible to use my JTENG rain poncho as a possible big net/rain protection for my hammock?
>>
>>1063312
If you really want, you COULD make your own hammock, but your plan sounds better. I would absolutely test the sub7 out before you buy. You may end up really enjoying it and not having a problem with the price. I don't know. Really hammocking is all about what feels comfortable for you.

About that poncho, that's beyond my knowledge. If you really insist on it, try making a tarp Ridgeline and hang your poncho up, or just ask the folks over at hammockforums.net and they may be able to help ya

tl;dr I don't know about that poncho, but it's worth a try. Get your butt in a sling.
>>
>>1063314
Thank anon
>>
>>1063173
Heads at same end or opposite? We are experimenting with opp.
>>
File: 1453333508413.jpg (646KB, 3120x3436px) Image search: [Google]
1453333508413.jpg
646KB, 3120x3436px
>>1063312
Skip the sub7. The only reason it's so light is because it's super small. It's not that good of a hammock.

>>1063209
I have a Grand Trunk UL as well, was my 1st hammock. I now have 8 hammocks and the Grand Trunk us my least favorite. It's just too small to be comfortable. Not bad for the price, but just too small.

>>1063299
PA sc/out/ here as well. Been hammock camping exclusively for a few years.

You're going to need a hammock, tarp, suspension, and insulation. You need insulation under you, a bivy won't work. You can use a pad in a hammock but an underquilt is the best way. Dozens of options, that's a whole 'nother post though.

If you need bug protection, you can get a hammock with an integrated net, or get a separate "fronkey style" net. Woot has a twisted root design hammock with a built in net for $30, I have 2 of them and for the price they are awesome. Top of the line would be a Dutchware Chameleon or a Dream Hammock in my opinion.
>>
>>1063430
Out of those 8 hammocks, which would you recommend? I do agree that the UL is a bit small, but I've been managing, even at 6'2".
>>
>>1063433

Please elaborate women you say "managing". I'm 6'3" so length is important to me. That's what I liked about some of the brands I mentioned in >>106320

They seemed to be long enough for proper comfort. Is the UL good enough or is it on the verge of being too short?
>>
>>1063458
Id argue the UL is too short. You'll think it's alright until you try a longer hammock and then you'll be happy you have a longer one.

>>1063433
My dutchware 11ft is my favorite. The twisted root design big mozzi hammock is also good since it has an integrated net.

I also have a Grand Trunk Onemade double hammock. It's too wide. My Yukon double is a little too wide as well, and too short. My Yukon freedom v2 is a little heavy, but nice.
>>
Thinking of giving my ENO doublenest to someone and getting a Dutchware. Is this the move? Should I get 2 layers?
>>
>>1063463
Double layer of you want to use a pad since you can slide it between the layers.

Also, double layer will be firmer, so get that if you like a stiffer feel.

Otherwise a single layer is better IMO.
>>
>>1063461

Thanks for the info, brother. Have you found a length that works best for you?

I'm looking at some that are 78" wide and 118" long.
>>
>>1063458
The GTUL is similar to the sub7 in that it's length is why it's so light.
Managing was probably not the right word to use, because I have found it quite comfortable, but I will admit it is a bit smaller than I would like

>>1063461
You're probably right. I chose the GTUL because a good friend recommended it, and I even came here to ask about it. The only complaint was length. It's probably worth mentioning that I haven't gone anywhere above a 35 mile trip with it, since I'm pretty new to all of this

Also, has anyone in thread tried the Warbonnet Blackbird? I've heard that's a pretty great hammock
>>
>>1063512
118" is a very short hammock. The absolute shortest I'd ever consider is 10ft (120") but my ideal is 11ft (132").
>>
>>1063695

How wide should it be? I'm looking at the ridge unlimited on Amazon and it's 11 feet by 8 feet wide!
>>
>>1064201
58" to about 70" is a good width.

58" is about a standard hammock length, where 70" would be a wide width.

Any more than 70" (5 ft 10in) is just too wide. I have a 78" (6ft 6in) hammock and the extra width just ends up being excess material that flaps in your face.
>>
>>1064321
Correction, should say
>58" is about a standard hammock WIDTH
>>
File: 1475384715184.png (30KB, 747x491px) Image search: [Google]
1475384715184.png
30KB, 747x491px
This is absolutely nothing /k/ can help me with but I have a military peice of gear called a "woobie"

The army says it can take you down to 50 F but I need something for -20 F as that is the lowest it has ever been here.

Can it be done with the corresponding poncho made into a low profile tent with a small twig fire in between my crotch?

Of course the fire pit is dug I to the earth.

Pic unrelated
>>
File: diynosewPLUQ.jpg (106KB, 612x872px) Image search: [Google]
diynosewPLUQ.jpg
106KB, 612x872px
>>1064361
>tent
This is the wrong thread to ask that, bud. However...
If you own a hammock, making a Poncho Liner Under Quilt isn't terribly difficult.
>Pic related

If you still want to make a tent, just go to the QTDDTOT thread
>>
>>1064321

Yeah I was thinking that the width they listed was way too much. What brand has one long enough but is also not too wide?
>>
>>1065012
Dutchware is my favorite.

Their wide model gives you extra room without being too wide.

I have the standard width and it's not bad either.

As a general rule, if the hammock has 3 separate panels of fabric that are sewn together, it's prob too wide. A hammock with a single panel of fabric is usually better.
>>
>>1064361
No man won't work. Buy a painters tarp, and a Mylar blanket, and build a super shelter.
>>
>>1064361
-20F is serious weather. Anything below 10 degrees and it gets hard to stay warm without proper
gear.

A poncho liner won't get you anywhere near -20F.

5 poncho liners won't even get you there.
>>
File: 48130.jpg (76KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
48130.jpg
76KB, 1000x1000px
I never hammocked before but I sleep in my tent often. can I use a Therma rest neo air as sleeping pad for insulation from below? Obviously sleeping bag for top insulation
>>
>>1067298
Using any kind of pad is a pretty good option. I use some walmart CCF, but I'm looking to upgrade to Thermarest Ridgerest
>>
a fucking TARP
>>
>>1067500
>>1067298
No
There was a 1 hour long vid on youtube of this great bushcrafter who tried that SAME pad and he absolutely hated it.
Check it out.
>https://www.youtube (do) com/watch?v=Sm6bdSKR5XA
>>
>>1067298
You want to just lay on the hammock. Get something called an under quilt. It creates a pocket of warm air underneath you so the wind doesnt freeze your back overnight.
>>
>>1068861
I stand corrected. Still looking into that Thermarest RidgeRest though, since it's a CCF pad
>>
>6'7
>260 pounds

Can't find any hammocks that would fit me that aren't super expensive or yard ornaments like pic related.

Any suggestions? Ideally in the 400+ pound range, my dog is 90 pounds and likes to hop on my lap and sleep with me.
>>
>>1069673

Forgot pic.
>>
File: dick is diamonds.jpg (106KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
dick is diamonds.jpg
106KB, 500x750px
>>1063173
>A few hours later, time and gravity have pushed you both together at the lowest point of the hammock into ine sweaty lump of human meat.

Lewd
>>
>>1069673
The Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter has a 400 lb rating and a bugnet. It is a tad heavy, though.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.