[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

High end /out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: image_6128.jpg (117KB, 495x495px) Image search: [Google]
image_6128.jpg
117KB, 495x495px
Is frost river worth the price? Also high quality out general
>>
Rain will destroy this overweight crap
>>
Canvas maymay bag, sold to people who idealise living like a mowntan man, or caw boy.
>>
Expensive =/= good

All this canvas meme shit needs to fuck off. Very few companies even have any real pride in craftsmanship any more. Even fjallraven is made by chinks.
>>
>>1062765
>high quality out
Merrell. Osprey. Klean Kanteen. Aeropress.
>>
>>1062800
I noticed that...that's why I'm trying to find something quality built. Idc if I have to pay extra I don't want throw away Walmart shit
>>
>>1062801
What about for tents?
>>
>>1062804
Get an osprey pack. Go to an actual brick and mortar store for finding and fitting the right pack to your body, then buy online from a reputable site to save some dosh.
>>
>>1062808
Can't speak for tents, as I'm a hammock sleeper. Regarding hammocks, just don't buy an eno; everyone says they're too short. I've heard good things about Dutchware, but I made my own including straps and suspension.
>>
>>1062809
>Go to an actual brick and mortar store for finding and fitting the right pack to your body, then buy online from a reputable site to save some dosh.
yes
>Get an osprey pack.
or a gregory. or deuter. or whatever other reputable brand fits you, is comfortable, and has the size and features you want. getting hung up on a specific namebrand is counterproductive. between me, my wife and my kid we have 2 ospreys, 2 gregorys, 2 deuters, and 2 rei packs.
>>
>>1062800
I thought that was the point of this thread. Hipster buzzwords aside, at least you can head to the address in Duluth, MN where Frost River makes their shit, and they'll show you around. Transparency is pretty rare in outdoor gear. Make of that what you will.
>>
I have an /out/ sweater. Knit in Ireland from undyed black sheep wool. It's heavy and bulky and the lanolin makes me smell like a sheep, but it's warm and comfy and it reminds me of my family. I don't care about catching the biggest fish, climbing the highest mountains, walking the longest distances or having the most technical gear which gets replaced every year. I'm going /out/ to find peace and quiet.
>>
>>1062765
>>>/cgl/
>>
>>1062933
See that's kinda what I feel when I hear people suggest this type of gear....so it's just for hipster city faggots?
>>
>>1062829
Not sure what your getting at anon
I'm just trying to figure out the best bang for buck, save me the most in the long run
>>
>>1062966
Yeah, Frost River is a terrible choice then. You're paying for aesthetics. Look at modern plastic packs instead. They'll be cheaper, lighter, and more comfortable than what you posted, and will last nearly as long as heavy canvas. If you really want the durability and ease of upkeep, you can get it for a lot less with a milsurp bag.
>>
>>1062986
Judging by your post u don't carry anything?
>>
>>1062994
Actually I don't go outside at all, I just shitpost about gear.
>>
Stuff looks heavy. Why do you want a bag that's going to weigh 5 pounds or more empty?
>>
>>1062994
it doesnt make him wrong
there's good reasons why we dont use canvas for bags anymore.
it's heavy as shit with no comfort. if you really want, or at least equate, weight=durability, then go milsurp. they're not good for much else than being treated like shit
>>
File: baltoro.jpg (27KB, 333x440px) Image search: [Google]
baltoro.jpg
27KB, 333x440px
>>1063008
because it has a kickass suspension that'll eat 60+ lbs of gear for multiday backcountry climbing trips
>>
>>1062800
Indeed it is. Most of my gear is made by Fjallraven and it's good but too fucking expensive for what it is. Thank God that I can find shit on 30-50% off which is about what it's worth.
>>
Ok /out/ - last time you had a pack wear out, where did it fail? Do you replace gear that still works just to have newer shit?
>>
>>1062765
Really, what's the appeal?
>>
>>1063027
I havent used packs in years, I use my tarp like a sack.
>>
>>1063011
and looking at OPs website, I see nothing that does that.
>>
Mystery Ranch backpacks plebs...
>>
>>1063032
More detail pls

Do you use paracord to strap it onto your body?
>>
>>1063027
i upgraded a cheap (but surprisngly durable) costco 45l for >>1063011

>>1063041
of course not. that's why i posted a pic of a pack that weighs more than 5 lbs and does all those things.
>>
>>1063011
Just bought one of those, can't wait to use it. Pretty sure it weighs less than 5 lbs too. Oh, and it has an included rain cover.
>>
>>1063117
you get a 65 or 75? 75 is 5 lb 5 oz, iirc. it's what i have. i love it. like i said it eats up heavy loads without a complaint, it's suspension feels very tight and secure to me, and all it's pockets are in just the right places. and yes it comes with a raincover, plus a lightweight daypack.

fwiw with a heavy load it's a lot more comfortable for me with the extra lumbar pillow pulled out. if it ever feels weird you might try that.
>>
>>1062765
desu if I want heavy canvas with minimal to no frame, I can get an equally functional milsurp pack from dudes like Varusteleka for no more $60 (and that's a high figure, for something nice like a Bundeswehr rucksack or similar Cold War northern European, unissued)

like, I am pretty sure all of Frost River's stock is just reverse-engineered milsurp packs, with a few tweaks like decent straps. that's not the worst idea ever for a company, but I do think their Bushcraft bags are selling for about twice what they're worth - their pricing is more expensive for what you get than even contemporary Made In USA design brands like Timbuk2 or Tom Bihn, which is a tall fucking order considering Bihn in particular uses shit like Cordura, Dyneema, and the nicest goddamn zippers I've ever seen on a pack
>>
ITT faggots pretending that a hard-frame hip rider isn't 10x better than this overpriced nonsense.

You know what you don't see on men wearing $300 backpacks? Scars or balls.

I suppose that's not entirely fair. If I'm hauling <25 lbs I'll roll with my internal. But when I see dipshits sacking 50lbs it's like watching a child play soldier.

Internal frames are for light loads, period. The noobfag response is "but muh top loading sack". Yes, snowflake you can put that on a hip-riding frame. " But muh mobility". You ain't Bear Grylls, bitch - Bear Grylls ain't even Bear Grylls. Any frame, internal or external, can be cinched tight for jumps.

I triple-dog promise you that if your brains weren't hardwired to associate price and fashion with quality, you'd ditch that ripoff garbage for a $80 pack from Wal-Mart.

Enjoy your back pain, retards.

I have a couple canvas packs, two internals, couple sacks, a couple frames, and I grew up poor as fuck itw where I learned to evaluate gear on merit.

This heavy internal bullshit is like the cadre of morons who still argue that Festool makes amazing tools, despite several evaluations and product dissections showing that a $80 Skil saw is a higher quality tool than a $600 Festool.

Recalibrate your brains, fuckers. Stop thinking "why doesn't this feel as good as the pack that costs 60% less and looks goofy". Focus on the fact that it doesn't.

Remember - they don't have blind wine tastings anymore because when they did, almost invariably, the "connoisseurs" ended up picking a $30 bottle as the best.

You're hardwired like that too. That bullshit is NOT comfortable. Not even half as comfy as an ugly external with a thick AF hip strap. The $300 you spent is making you think that. Fight the brainwash.
>>
>>1063212
is literally anyone other than the OP supporting this company? get fucked, projectimus maximus
>>
File: cl.png (108KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108KB, 228x221px
>>1063212
>every sentence needs to be it's own paragraph
>mfw
>>
>>1063175
75, I have the small (5' 9") so it's under 5 lbs.
>>
>>1063212
>reddit spacing
>snowflakes
>this mad
New copypasta
>>
>>1063257
>4 lbs 14 oz
i stand corrected. and mine's actually only 5 lb 2 oz. not that ±3 oz matters to me with most of the loads i carry.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.