[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ first aids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 14

File: 211884.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
211884.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
pills, bandages and others

are antibiotics necessary? or just a good bottle of iodine tincture is enough?
>>
Depends how long you're /out/ and where

/thread
>>
>ibuprofen
>a few bandaids
>athletic tape
>duct tape
>ace bandage
maybe an anti-diarrheal, otherwise that's all you need (barring special cases like personally prescribed epipens, inhalers, etc.).

>inb4 quickclot shills show up
direct pressure and elevation will be just fine.
>>
>>1061851
Asshole, it's bad form to /thread your own post.
>>
>>1061850
how long? for a day hike you don't need anything aside a basic vehicle fak. same goes for if rescue is available because you go bars and a spare battery.

if you go on an expedition and get out of contact for weeks you gonna need a small suitcase worth of things as the team medic. but where the fuck do you plan to fall of the grid exactly nowadays?
>>
>>1061878
was just about to say
>>
>>1061872
none of those items belong in a first aid kit except maybe bandaids but i personally like to separate first aid from treating tiny nicks and boo boos.
>>
>>1061850
>Are antibiotics necessary?
You talking topical? It's not going to hurt to have some triple antibiotic/steroid topical, but at the end of the day it's pretty much useless if the wound is something that actually needs antibiotics.
If you're talking systemic antibiotics then fuck the fuck right off, dumb motherfuckers are always throwing random antibiotics at unknown infections, it's a bad decision. If you think you need systemics, then you need to see a doctor.
>>
>>1061850
My standard first aid kit for day hikes to multi week hikes contains:
>ibup pills and gel
>paracetamol
>mixture of plasters for small cuts
>micropore tape
>alcohol wipes
>blister stuff
>sun cream
>lemsip sachet(it's powdered drink for colds/the flu)
>Dioralyte sachet (powdered diarrhoera stuff but it's just good for emergency dehydration in general)
That's it.

>are antibiotics necessary?
Only if your doc has prescribed them.
>>
>>1061901
you forgot your lip balm, electronic massage appliance, scented candles, aromatic massage oils, make up kit, body lotion, ipod full of meditation tracks, eye mask and inflatable mattress and pillow from your """fak"""
>>
File: eye_mask.jpg (6KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
eye_mask.jpg
6KB, 205x246px
>>1062805
>eye mask
Shit. I actually do pack one of these.
>>
Best thing is to have a good head on your shoulders.

Know where you're going and the dangers associated with it. Don't take stupid risks.

The most I've ever needed on a backpacking trip was a band aid.

I barely take anything with me these days; anything I don't have I can improvise.
>>
File: 1445984800932.jpg (67KB, 614x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1445984800932.jpg
67KB, 614x1024px
>>1061898
i can package nearly any degree of cut, sprain, or break with that kit, and if i can't you're going to die from your injury before a helicopter gets to you regardless of what i had packed.
>>
My FAK for kayaking and landscaping:
>1 roll waterproof medical tape
>3x nonstick gauze pads
>3x knee-size fabric bandages
>6x regular fabric bandages
>4oz 70% isopropyl
>10x store-brand OTC allergy tablets
>6x 600mg Kratom Red Vein capsules
>1 tube triple antibiotic ointment
Had to use it only twice so far, both times landscaping.
1. My brother cut his finger with a hedge trimmer (bandages, antibiotic ointment, and Kratom) so I dressed his wound and gave him Kratom for pain before driving him to the emergency room
2. Just a few days later a co-worker had a steel door from a dump truck fall on him (Kratom) so I gave him Kratom for pain before the foreman drove him to the ER.
>>
>>1063001
sprains and small cuts sure the rest is only in your head. a proper fak can treat large lacerations, deep and multiple cuts. duck tape is really a last resort kind of thing it shouldn't be your to go solution for bandages.
>>
>>1063039
finally something looking like an actual fak. i would add some p-iodine tho. better for wounds than alcohol which damages tissues quiet a bit.
>>
How often am I supposed to FAK myself?
>>
>>1063385
Some say everyday is fine others reckon you leave a day between fak-ing yourself to let you natural supplies replenish.
>>
>>1061878
New fag here. What is /thread
>>
>>1063424
Sometimes someone might reply to a post saying "/thread", showing that the thread should be closed as the reply has been informative enough that nothing else will add to the discussion. Adding it to your own post is akin to saying your point then screaming over everyone else's idea.
>>
>>1063365
lrn2improvise. if it's a real emergency i'll sacrifice my thermals or a clean pair of socks, and i can find something to make a splint out of. and the athletic tape and ace bandage are the biggies, duct tape is really there just to provide a low friction layer over bandaids on foot blisters.
>>
>>1063488
two most important things all first aid kit must have:
1) rolls and pads of sterile gauze. which allow you to practically dress any wound or fix limbs.
2) disinfectant preferably p-iodine because it's non toxic in wounds and on mucous membranes but effective and has multiple uses.

the rest is maybe useful but not that important including shears, gloves, adhesive tape that make work with aforementioned cleaner and faster. but you can work around them.

painkillers and blister pads and sunscreen is fucking convenience items.
>>
File: smug dog is smug.jpg (92KB, 640x580px) Image search: [Google]
smug dog is smug.jpg
92KB, 640x580px
>>1063684
>sterile gauze
>to wrap a filthy puncture wound that still has foreign material embedded
>mfw
direct pressure with a tshirt will be just fine.
>>
>>1061850
All you need is a bottle of whiskey.
>>
>>1061878
I love how newfags still say this after fucking 10+ years of this shit.
>>
>>1063868
that is what the p-iodine is for you can directly apply into the wound if you have to it will not cause serious issues.
>>
>>1063436
I appreciate the wholesome
>>
Can medical staple guns be bought off Amazon? Seems like they'd be useful for deep cuts
>>
>>1063873
>>
>>1063873
>Jack
Faggot. Go get some goddamn Jameson. Or ditch whiskey altogether, buy the cheapest vodka you can find and use the leftover money on a Soviet surplus gas mask and a harmonica. Mosin Nagant optional.
>>
>>1064117
ah yes, i forgot that iodine washes out deeply embedded chunks of sticks and dirt and can disinfect surfaces it can't reach.

retard.
>>
>>1062999
The biggest threat to me while /out/ is other people being stupid. Which is something I can't control besides simply avoiding them, and that's only semi-effective because of guns and cars and other scenarios where nothing I can do will put me out of range of weaponized stupidity. I've had too many injuries and close calls from other people being idiots to not account for it, including 2 that nearly killed me.

As a result I carry a tourniquet, quikclot gauze, and a good purpose-made pressure dressing (israeli bandage).

I have a layered first-aid system. I've got a comprehensive car kit capable of treating traumatic injuries on up to 5 people simultaneously plus an assortment of SAM splints, a roll of duct tape, and OTC meds like aspirin, Imodium, Prilosec, ibuprofen, and benadryl. Then I have my backpack kit, which is my boo-boo/sustainment kit. Various bandaids, an ace bandage, some vetwrap, moleskin, duct tape, small quantity of imodium and benadryl, and some butterfly bandages. And lastly is my "always on me" kit, which is a CAT-T tourniquet, an Israeli bandage, and a packet of quikclot gauze. It's in a small zippered pouch I can wear on my belt, slightly bigger than a cellphone holster.
>>
>>1064756
nerd
>>
>>1062805
everything in his list is practical you fucking weekender
>>
>>1064760
explain
>>
>>1064773
>"mixture of plasters for small cuts"
>what's basically yuropoor theraflu
>practical
Not really, no. For small cuts a tube of antibiotic ointment containing an analgesic (bacitracin, neosporin, etc) and his regular bandaids or medical tape would do better than "a mixture of plasters" for both wound disinfectant and wound protection while weighing less and taking up less room.

Why the fuck would you need theraflu innawoods, when you're already carrying the main ingredient of it (acetaminophen/paracetamol) in pill form?
>>
I usually carry:

>Israeli dressing
>Tourniquet
>quick clot
>Various bandaids; I want to upgrade the the long strip 'sport' bandaids, they fkin rock
>Rolled gauze
>4x4s
>Coban
>Moleskin
>Assorted meds; Benadryl, apap, zyrtec, ibuprofen
>Vionex scrubs

I should add a couple of iodine swabs or a small bottle of liquid.

I'll split this up depending on what I'm doing and honestly I'm pretty poorly organized with it especially considering I actually work in EMS. A lot of it is just heaped in a plastic bag, with my CAT living in my chest pack for quick access. If I'm MTBing I basically only take the bleeding control stuff.

The only real medical problem I've had backpacking was really just a nagging issue: I got a fuckin blister on my heel. I was pissed at myself for a day and a half for not packing moleskin and not having duct tape. I literally thought about moleskin before leaving but then I was like, "Nah, it's cool anon, you never get blisters". Lesson: Always have fucking moleskin because blisters are irritating.

I will probably add a SAM splint at some point just because they're so adaptable and expedient, but I'm pretty lazy and I have ways to improvise splints so I just haven't yet.
>>
>>1064787
I think 'plasters' is European for 'Bandaids'. At least that's what I've gathered from a couple of these first aid threads.
>>
>>1064790
Okay then. Doesn't make a bit of sense, but neither does anything else in their assorted languages.
>>
>>1061895
>out of contact for week
>a small suitcase worth of things as the team medic
Yeah, no. I go out for months at a time, you know what I carry? A bandana, some vodka, some codiene and some benadryl. Everything else is just a security blanket and doesn't do anything except make you feel more prepared than you are.
>>
>>1064793
where exactly you go where the nearest human settlement or available rescue is a week away not half an hour?
>>
>>1064773
practical for a dayhike? maybe. necessary to save a life? absolutely fucking not! do you have some confusion about the meaning of "first aid"?

altho i have to say i usually go without those "practical" items and never needed them so far.
>>
>>1064720
you wash out the wound with it yes use sterile gauze and p-iodine to clean it from debris. altho your blood and immune system does a pretty decent job of removing debris from intact tissue contact. have you ever actually taken a first aid course?
>step 1: clean wound as much as possible with sterile things.
>step 2: dress with sterile gauze so you do not introduce further contaminants.
it's simple.
>>
Guys, pack a few SAM splints, they're very compact and fantastic if you need to immobilise a sprained finger or something.
>>
>>1063039
Where can I get kratom?
>>
>>1064916
>practical for a dayhike? maybe. necessary to save a life? absolutely fucking not!

Its basic first aid items without going all out and carrying a proper FAK you damn fool. Not everyone is going to carry a fucking surgical kit in their daypack you silly person.

>i have to say i usually go without those "practical" items and never needed them so far.
>never needed them so far.

Oh boy
>>
>>1065093
>Its basic first aid items
there is nothing first aid in it first aid is all about saving lives until emts arrive. that means stop bleeding not headaches or allergies or tiny boo boos you can spit on and forget.

call it fanny pack for casual wandering on gravel roads in parks and i don't care just don't call it fak.
>>
File: croft's fak.jpg (1MB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
croft's fak.jpg
1MB, 1152x648px
>>1064917
>have you ever actually taken a first aid course?
nope. as a medic i never felt the need.

coincidentally, i bought peter croft's high sierra guide today. reading it i came across his first aid kit. pic related. or for those of you too lazy or in denial to expand the pic
>For first aid, I bring a roll of hand tape [athletic tape] and a handful of aspirin.
sooo, yeah. i'm good with what i bring.
>>
>>1064788
pretty much the same, with an Oales bandage, and an ACE
>>
>>1064914
There's a lot of places where getting out would take a week or more if you were injured. But typically I like to camp in places where trails don't exist, let alone roads. You'd have to do your own googling though, the reason I like these places is because no one else goes there.

>>1065390
So then I'm not as crazy as most people tell me I am? >>1064793
>>
>>1065303
EMTs and medics don't exactly do much to save lives either; we just get you to a hospital.

I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again:

The most important part of your equipment, FAK and everything else- is knowledge and sound decision making. A vast majority of problems can be avoided by smart planning and not making risky decisions.
>>
>>1065494
If you're the guy carrying

>A bandana, some vodka, some codiene and some benadryl.

I see nothing wrong there. As long as you know what you're doing and keep your nose out of trouble. If you're out there alone and get injured you've got bigger problems than wondering if you should have packed a SAM splint or not.
>>
File: IMG_20170722_101708745.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_101708745.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Didn't read the thread.

All the pills were turned into dust after a year, it was :
- Doliprane 1000 (paracetamol)
- Bi Profenid 100mg
- Dalagan 500mg
- Tigreat (Frovantriptan)
-Spasfon
- Ebastine
- Prednisolone Sandoz
>>
>>1065496
>EMTs and medics don't exactly do much to save lives either;
except treat shock control bleeding put in some ivs to keep circulation from crashing keep respiration going give epi if needed... not much everyone could do that i guess. oh wait we are not qualified or equipped.
>>
>>1065497
Yup. I figure anything so severe that I can't fix with those few simple items will also be so severe that I'll need to call in a medevac anyway.

There's really no point in carrying a bunch of extra medical gear, when most hiking injuries are caused by carrying too much weight in the first place.
>>
>>1064958
Smokeshops
>>
>>1063684
Sunscreen is convenient for not getting skin cancer
>>
>>1065507
Stop being stupid. Just get out of babbies first wfr class? You're overselling what we do and you know it.

>don't do much
See that word? "Much"
It's a qualifier

90+ % of 911 calls are non-emergent. The rest require definitive care by a phyisician. Of those; maybe 5% actually rely on immediate ALS intervention for a positive outcome. Aside from that there is no discernible difference and ALS time on scene may be more detrimental than BLS load and go. Look at the god damn statistics.

We don't do much.

You don't rucking the back country with a LP5 and bags of saline. If you run into a fuckup where long term nursing level ALS care is needed before extrication to the front country you failed in your decision making as an expedition leader.

The most common wilderness injuries are easily avoided and treated with simple BLS care.
>>
>>1064958
I buy mine online from here:
http://www.phytoextractum.com/buy-kratom-capsules-online
OG Red Vein is best for dealing with pain.
>>
>>1065511
yeah i always apply it when i go to ski or the beach. otherwise never needed it. especially not in the woods. but sure enough carry sunscreen just please stop calling it first aid! it's not you can treat mild sunburn with sunscreen serious burns however treating which qualify as first aid do not welcome it. best thing to do with burns is to cool the tissue under 18C as long as you can. you can usually do that by evaporation. for example if you have alcoholic hand-wash or you can wet some cloth or paper tissue regularly. i have used both method.
>>
>>1065521
>You're overselling what we do and you know it.
i don't actually know what you do. i just hope as fuark that if some day i need it these emts will be able to save my life and i know for a fact the equipment and training is miles better in an als car than what i could carry in my backpack. so i'm counting on that when i pick a fak for myself i say "well it can take half an hour for the emts to get here" that means i need something to control bleeding that long, keep up respiration maybe keep the poor sod alive by cpr for that long. maybe relive pain by fixing/positioning limbs or cool burns. that's the extent i think in terms of first aid. i'm not going to medicate some guy i have no idea what his allergies are or how the meds will interfere with his anesthesia... i will let the emts take care of any drug administration.

the second tier when you don't actually have to call an ambulance because self rescue is possible is most likely properly cleaning and covering wounds stopping small bleeding or fixing limbs should also be in the capability range of a fak.

nothing else really. all the rest just goes in the backpack sunscreen, allergy meds, anti-diarrhea meds, bug spray, band-aids whatever the fuck you want for convenience.
>>
>>1065607
oh i left out hypothermia or heat-stroke sorry, yes you need a mylar blanket in the fak too very light very small can save lives also.
>>
>>1064792
>calling generic items by a specific brand name
Go dab your tears away with a Kleenex(tm) you corporate drone.
>>
>>1065390
>taking a free soloer's advice on safety
>>
>>1065390
>For first aid, I bring a roll of hand tape [athletic tape] and a handful of aspirin.
that's a fucking joke right? please tell me it's a joke!
>>
>>1065791
>he's too poor to afford brand names
>he's too stupid to know the alt-code for the trademark symbol
>>
>>1065875
>it's a joke!
Nope. Just because you were raised to believe that every little papercut requires a $30,000 medical visit doesn't mean that other people aren't capable of taking care of their boo-boos themselves.
>>
>>1065607
Brotip: in the US EMT-B textbooks (and paramedic) are written to an 8th grade reading comprehension level. The basic curriculum is so simple it could be taught to high school freshmen in 1 month. It's possible to go from zero to paramedic in 5-8months if you sign up for the right fast track courses. We have the worst EMS training in the developed world.

But anyways
BLS >>> ALS when it comes to saving lives. There's very little different between what a medic does and what a Basic does for a Gun Shot, or a Stabbing, or a broken limb. Think of ALS as the icing on a cookie cake; without it you still have a giant cookie- when it's there it tastes that much better. The calls where ALS will save your
life over BLS are the ones where you're already dead in the back country. (Cardiac dysrythmias, severe prolonged anaphylaxis, HAPE / HACE and you don't descend for whatever reason...)

Do yourself a favor and take a WFR course if you're so worried about backcountry injuries.

We won't save your life- only delay death until a doctor puts your body in a position to heal and recover. So get educated, pack right, act smart, and plan accordingly.

I don't have any issues with your gear list; I just want to make sure people have realistic expectations.
>>
>>1065615
>>1065607
I keep saying this ITT: many wilderness injuries can be avoided with proper planning and avoiding risks.

>heat stroke & hypothermia
Don't let it get to that point. Monitor your activity level; stay hydrated, stay warm / dry / in the shade.

But yea; a space blanket can help save a life. Let's say your buddy gets drenched in a flash flood- you find him an hour later downstream (keep it simple- uninjured) soaking wet and freezing. Get the wet clothes off; dry him off; get him in a sleeping bag; wrap that in your mylar, wrap that in a tarp. Burrito your buddy up.

Also: as a lay responder it's not advised to keep an AED, BVM, Airways in your car; and you're darn silly if you carry that into the wilderness. If you're working a code for 30min by yourself without: an AED with early shock / O2 / high quality compressions; they're going to die before we get there.
>>
File: kneegrow.jpg (86KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
kneegrow.jpg
86KB, 500x375px
>>1061850
>be fat ass
>Ride bike
>grove in the street
>fall off bike
>get on bike
>another grove
>fall off again

My knee is all fucked up now, worse than pic related. I used Iodine and put a bandaid on it, but now it's hot to the touch and red around the edges.

Should I just scrub this shit and pour alcohol on it?
>>
File: 1501005061636635822880.jpg (5MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
1501005061636635822880.jpg
5MB, 3456x4608px
>>1067943
Sounds infected. Scrub it with soap but don't use alcohol, you'll just damage growing skin. You can use diluted peroxide or neosporin and it won't be as harsh to the wound. Definitely clean it with some soap and water though. You can get this shit for cheap in the baby is at Kroger and it will do well for helping the wound heal.
>>
>>1067943
>>grove in the street
*groove, I'm fucking retarded.

>>1067944
I have it covered in neosporin now, I'll look for that stuff. I am fat as fuck, but I'm pretty active. I've been First Aid to bring with me just in case I get busted up.
>>
>>1067943
i hope you did not use iodine tincture on an open wound! you can die from that shit it's toxic.
p-iodine is reasonably safe non-toxic tho.
>>
>>1067954
Oh shit, I'm gonna die. Why the fuck was this in an old first aid kit under my sink?
>>
>>1066007
i have seen many news stories where people kept someone alive and going for 30-50 minutes doing cpr while the emts were on the way after a heart attack or drowning.
>>
>>1067958
did it sting real bad, did it smell like alcohol?
>>
>>1067958
you won't die most likely not from such small amount, but it would be best to check with a health professional to be sure. it's hard to find any info on toxicity aside from swallowing, but i remember my first aid curse where they said it's bad business.
>>
>>1067974
btw sideffects include:
>Blistering, Crusting, Irritation, Itching, or Reddening of skin
and in poisoning:
>Abdominal pain (if swallowed), Coughing, Delirium, Diarrhea, sometimes bloody (if swallowed), Fever, Gum and tooth soreness, Loss of appetite, Metallic taste in mouth, Mouth and throat pain and burning, No urine output, Rash, Salivation (producing saliva), Seizures, Shock, Shortness of breath, Stupor (decreased level of alertness), Thirst, Vomiting
>>
>>1067962
Yep, stung pretty bad. I remember it stinging when I was a kid and scraped a knee.

>>1067974
I think I'll be fine, I don't have any of the below side effects.
>>
>>1065987
no faggot i am completely able to treat boo boos on my own. anything that doesn't require stitches i can usually solve but a roll of athletic tape and a few aspirins is as far from a first aid kit as possible without going full retard with blister pads and sunscreen.

i think a proper fak sets you back less than $10. i bought this motorbike fak i carry hiking because it's small, light and pretty complete for $5.
>>
>>1067978
the important point before you put iodine on a wound or mucous membrane like mouth wounds or even your dick, is to make sure it contains no atomic iodine. cause that shit is toxic and can be absorbed to the body.

betadine is my primary go-to iodine altho it's not perfect for treating water it has a worse aftertaste and you have to use more of it, but it's pretty fucking safe to work with.
>>
>>1066004
>BLS >>> ALS when it comes to saving lives. There's very little different between what a medic does and what a Basic does
lol. salty lifer emts are always so cute
>>
>>1067960
Cool anecdote brah; got a large scale, quantitative study to back that up? How about a follow up that shows discharge outcomes? Cause I got plenty that show the longer a code goes on the worse the outcome will be.

High quality CPR + Adequate ventilation long term isn't enough to have the pt survive with good neurological outcomes if they make it at all.

We work arrests anywhere from 20-60min depending on what we see on the cardiac montitor and expired CO2 levels. It's incredibly rare that after the 40-60min mark the pt survives; let alone without brain damag, even in circumstances where responders make the scene in < 6 min.

If you're in the back country and someone arrests; if you can't get them back after 30min of excellent CPR (make sure you're rotating with people! CPR quality drops off drastically after just one minute) and ventilations they're probably not going to make it at all.

Though just going off typical outdoors demographics the odds of such an event happening are ridiculously low.
>>
>>1067989
>implying I'm not a 911 medic with over9000 confirmed GSWs. Even as we speak I'm contacting my network of dispatchers; you're fucking held over, Ricky.

Evidenced based medicine dumbass: plug the holes, manage shock and get them to a trauma surgeon. Your NS / LR bolus is not a substitute for whole blood and long term fluid pumping will cause a severe electrolyte imbalance in addition to hypoxia.

Even fancy shit like TXA is a luxury item.

I don't know of any places that have authorized prehospital permissive hypotension yet; but we're not exactly equipped for such monitoring anyways.
>>
>>1068013
>thinking you're helping your case
how much does your hardon throb when your medic turfs a bls call to you and you get to ride in the back with the patient?
>>
not hiking with 4 quarts of blood just in case.
>>
>>1063488

He's saying that improvising isn't your first resort, which is the point of having a FAK in the first place. Tape is small and light. You can afford to have some.
>>
>>1064709

Go rant about the second amendment to your racist militia, asshole. This is a first aid thread.
>>
File: 1397620752561.png (27KB, 113x126px) Image search: [Google]
1397620752561.png
27KB, 113x126px
>>1066004
>Brotip: in the US EMT-B textbooks (and paramedic) are written to an 8th grade reading comprehension level. The basic curriculum is so simple it could be taught to high school freshmen in 1 month. It's possible to go from zero to paramedic in 5-8months if you sign up for the right fast track courses. We have the worst EMS training in the developed world.

>MFW my EMR course was basically word-for-word from an American curriculum
>>
>>1068554
not getting hurt is my first resort. having the knowledge and experience to improvise is my backup. education is even lighter. you can afford to have some.
>>
File: 1454289564389.jpg (130KB, 1005x566px) Image search: [Google]
1454289564389.jpg
130KB, 1005x566px
>>1066004
>>1068759
>written to an 8th grade reading comprehension level.
>writing level has any relevance to the material being taught
protip: it doesn't. writing level is immaterial in this context, because the goal is to teach the techniques, theories, protocols, and algorithms, not to hone up on your language skills or abstract thinking. why muddy something that can be written as a flowchart with unnecessarily complicated vocabulary or grammar, just to artificially inflate "muh reading level"? it would be counterproductive.
>>
>>1068768

My EMR instructor was a retired combat medic with 20+ years experience, real salt-of-the-earth type who loathed having to use the latin terms for the medical conditions he talked about. Still, he filled the class with lots of useful info you wouldn't find in the textbook, like how to restrain and defend yourself from violent druggies
>>
>>1068772
lecture from experienced people and practical with experienced proctors are the best, imo. i don't think i even unshrinkwrapped my textbooks in medic school. i wouldn't have even bought them if they hadn't been included in the tuition.
>>
>>1068554
yeah the purpose of the fak is so you don't have to spend time improvising, but can use familiar and sterile devices to affect practiced first aid quickly and confidently.
>>1068762
>not getting hurt is my first resort
show me someone who got hurt out there and didn't think the very same before!
>experience to improvise
oh boy, sure that's a good thing but it has nothing at all to do with first aid kits.
>>
>>1068759
It's an intro level course that teaches the bare minimum to function; and even then when you get a job you still have a lot more learning to do to be effective.

EMR (canada) is roughly equivalent of US EMTB. From my knowledge, EMRs are rarely professionally utilized in Canada; unlike the EMTB in the US.

The point about the textbooks "comprehension" level is a reflection on how entry level the knowledge base is. The course itself is less than 200hrs of class (of which only 16-24 is clinical.)

Compare that to other professional standards like police- or hair dressers; who are required to have over 2000hrs before licensure.

Another point about the comprehension level is that you do not have to be among the best to pass the course. It's a low entry bar; so unfortunately there's a lot of providers who aren't that good at doing the job- but the course failed to weed them out.
>>
>>1068933
>Compare that to other professional standards like police- or hair dressers; who are required to have over 2000hrs before licensure.
lol. my sister-in-law was in cosmotology school (hair) at the same time i was in medic school. i had legally mandated 1600 hours of school (classroom+er clinical+field internship TOTAL), she had 2400. so next time you're getting a hack job at supercuts remember they have more school than what you get when you call an ambulance.
>>
>>1068933
in my country it's a 1000 hours course if you go the shortest possible path.
>>
>>1061850
If you're serious about treating trauma, I guess a compression bandage, styptic, and some steri-strips, and a mylar blanket could go a long way.

If you don't think you're Rambo, all you need is band-aids, moleskin, light gauze pads, small amount of medical tape, and any medications you take.

Iodine has the added benefit of being a water purifier.

>>1064793
This guy has the right of it. You can improvise a lot of things from clothing.
>>
>>1061850
I'm a bit extreme with my FAK, but I keep multiple styles of gauze; H bandages, quikclot gauze, plain compressed gauze, burn dressing, and trauma dressing. I also have SAM splints, tourniquets, gloves, iodine, alcohol, suture kit, bandaids, leatherman shears, medical tape, and duct tape.

I essentially based it off of the CLS bag I used to carry, some of which is literally from that bag. There might be some things I missed, but that's basically it. The things I consider necessary are the compressed gauze, iodine, splint, and tourniquet for emergency.
>>
>>1069256
>This guy has the right of it.
i guess you both fail to comprehend the concept of fak. i don't care much, but flaunting your ignorance is not nearly as cool as you think it is.
>>
>>1069310
>SAM splints
are they really that useful? i always thought you can easily improvise splints from branches, but i guess they wouldn't fit nearly as well and it's assuming you have branches around.
>>
>>1069423
They are. You covered a couple of reasons why it's good to have one in your response. The SAM splint is easy to use, molds well around the break to immobilize, and protect while being as comfortable as possible. Just a couple tips if you ever do need to splint a limb, don't ever try to reset the break in the splint, don't tie the splint directly over where the break is only above and below, and don't over tighten the splint.
>>
>>1069418
or maybe your definition of first aid kit isn't as universal as you think it should be.

carry what makes you happy, but i;m confident that with my minimalist kit >>1061872 i can handle anything i could handle with whatever bloated bag full of expired specialty trinkets that you carry.
>>
>>1069418
It isn't ignorance, it's the knowledge that I don't need something and therefore, am not taking it. I'm not going to war and don't need a full trauma kit to treat 10 people.

My ideal FAK would include an Isreali compression bandage, styptic, a mylar blanket, a few light gauze pads, a small amount of medical tape, steri-strips, a few band-aids, moleskin, iodine, excedrin, a swiss army knife, and antihistamine tablets.

This would take care of all of my needs and my group's needs. I'm primarily concerned with deep cuts and bleeding since my group uses sharp shit to process firewood. Buying time until rescue services arrives and treating minor shit is all I need to do. I'm not going anywhere that rescue services can't access.

If you want to carry more shit, be my guest. You don't have to take my risks and I don't have to carry your load.
>>
>>1069449
>or maybe your definition of first aid kit isn't as universal as you think it should be.
no it's pretty well defined look it up!
>>
>>1069454
>My ideal FAK would include an Isreali compression bandage, styptic, a mylar blanket, a few light gauze pads, a small amount of medical tape, steri-strips, a few band-aids, moleskin, iodine, excedrin, a swiss army knife, and antihistamine tablets.
yeah that does sound like a fak. i never said carry more shit generally but this is pretty basic. all i said you _only_ need more for longer expeditions where you are out of contact or reach of rescue as say a medic for a team.
>>
I'm surprised there's so much EMTs on this Ethiopian meerkat breeding forum. I'm an EMR which is pretty much driver only tier and won't win any dickwaving contests. My humble advice for first aid is prevention. Always wear long sleeve shirts and pants, and gloves. That will save you from nearly every minor injury in the woods.

Actively thinking, and thinking carefully about what you're doing will prevent most major injuries as well.

As for the actual first aid kit, I just have a couple pairs of nitrile gloves, gauze bandage roll, a couple spongebob bandaids, antibiotic spray and an abdominal pad.
>>
File: 81ggGj+wCxL._SY679_.jpg (65KB, 368x679px) Image search: [Google]
81ggGj+wCxL._SY679_.jpg
65KB, 368x679px
>the lack of sunscreen in this thread
No wonder skin cancer rates are so high.
>>
>>1069775
fuck off! apply sunscreen before you leave home, it's pretty much a hygiene / convenience item like soap lip balm and fresh wipes.

yeah i once forgot lip balm when i went to ski... i don't usually use it most days of the year but high altitude high uv cold and windy makes it a necessity.
>>
File: grant.jpg (30KB, 592x459px) Image search: [Google]
grant.jpg
30KB, 592x459px
>>1069777
>apply sunscreen before you leave home
>sunscreen only lasts a few hours
>>
>>1069782
You walking around the woods half naked?
>>
>>1065390

I smell a dermatologist in here. Or an amerifat medic.

ALWAYS USE STERILE EQUIPMENT, FUCKHEAD
>>
>>1069782
>sunscreen only lasts a few hours
where did you get that stupid shit?
>>
>>1069792
You walking around with all your skin covered?

>>1069815
How long do you thing it fucking lasts. It stars to lose effectiveness after 2 hours.
>>
>>1069815
okay so here is what you have to do to have a lasting sun protection (and this does not apply to beach where you get in a lot of water and rub yourself dry with a towel and the uv exposure is insane, there you have to reapply sunscreen a few times)

take a shower or make sure your skin is wet, apply super high factor sunscreen as evenly as possible on all exposed areas, wait for it to dry, and then go out into the sun so it really glistens and soaks in. make sure nothing is wiping it off. it only takes an hour for sunscreen to set in and get water and rub resistance. you can accelerate it with heat like standing in the sun.

then you can go. get clothes on and hike all days no worries.

my skin is very sensitive to the sun but never had the slightest problem if i did this.
>>
>>1069817
>It stars to lose effectiveness after 2 hours.
it doesn't lose effectiveness, but sun exposure builds up if you use low factor sunscreen eventually you get burned. same goes for if you rub it off.
>>
>>1061850
Off duty FAK:
4x4 s, ibuprofen, tape, bandaids, TQ, neosporin pocket spray......combat cloth bandage.....chemical hand warmers & cold packs at times....

On Duty IFAK:

Chest seals, TQ, 4x4, israeli badange, combat cloths....triangle bandages...hemostatic agents, nasal airway, decompression needle, .....bandaids, Ibuprofen, scissors.

You can go overboard...everyone must manage what they are willing to put up with

Things I want to get: SAM splints & butterfly closures.....

check these websites:

Northamericanrescue.com chinookmedical.com

tacticalmedicalsolutions.com those are good if you don't mind spending some money....

If your a poorfag: wall mart camping section....academy sports or dick's sporting good if in the US........
also stuff marketed to hunter & hikers are usually cheaper than that marketed to SWAT and tactical medics....
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.