[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

extreme distance walking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

Im planning on walking from the southernmost point to the northernmost point of the north island.
i intend to do this solo and with no assistance from settlements apart from resupplying food if needed.
i will take a bow(no open carry firearms allowed) and a fishing rod with me
what skills and equipment will i need
>>
You will die
Gain actual hiking and wilderness experience before setting unrealistic goals
>>
>>1061171
thats why im asking what i need to learn
>>
This thread again? It feels like there's 1 or 2 anons just trying to get actual hikers' jimmies rustled by posting 'LE XD I AM GONNA WALK FROM USA TO RUSSIA' type threads
>>
>>1061174
this is my first thread on /out/ i have done hiking before but always to cabins. i have the fitness to walk the distance its the surviving without buildings
>>
>>1061180
Okay.. I will entertain your thread as if it was not a troll until it inevitably blows up

I don't know anything about NZ but I say ditch the bow and fishing rod - you are not tom sawyering across the country, you are trail hiking. If there is a good trail that spans the island use that. If not, follow roads. Pack light - good shelter, fire kit, water filter. Buy food in towns. Sleep in campsites when you can. Schedule out your hiking beforehand - how many miles you should hike per day. If you have bears or oversized kiwi birds or whatever, bring appropriate defense. Enjoy your blistered feet and general hell all around, and when you come back here we will recommend you a good weekend camp spot.
>>
>>1061173
A lot more than I can easily type out in a 4chan post.
Start with the basics, learning systems.
Shelter, food, water, navigation.
Everyone uses different systems at set ups because experience tells them what works for them. Learn how to use your gear
Is there a transcountry trail?
Is there sectional routes one can hop back and forth between?
Have you looked at local forums about NZ hiking?
Is there guide books to any trails?
Can you acquire maps?
Do you know how to use maps?
You say with no assistance from settlements, but do you understand what that actually entails?
A bow, a fishing rod?
Gonna catch 2500 calories minimum a day of food while trying to make mileage?
Where are you going to get water?
I pack heavy and I can only carry 5 days of food (rationing at that) and a day worth of water at any one time.
Your goal is unreasonable for your experience level.
Try shorter, unsupported hikes.
Try week long trips
Then try a few week trips
By this point you will understand what the needs of a trail are
>>
>>1061182
>>1061184
there are no predators in nz. was thinking 10 km off trail per day which means i should make in in 120 days. the bow is for deer and goat which are plentiful and legal to hunt year round
there are topographic maps for the entire country.
there are rivers literally everywhere
i want to make the journey as my family that was every /out/ and took me camping all the time has gotten old and no longer want to go out. and seeing as i am in my prime theres no better time to attempt it
>>
>>1061165
Well good luck mate.
https://www.teararoa.org.nz
Probably wouldnt reccomend taking the bow.
Just know youre going to need a couple grand before you go through with this.
>>
>>1061190
>>off trail
even with map, I strongly advocate against this
>>no predators, rivers everywhere
actually sounds pretty comfy, how are land prices?
>>
>>1061194
pretty variable.
it ranges from 150k nzd for 20 hectares to 4 million nzd for 20 hectares
>>
>>1061165
This is a well known route. http://www.newzealand.com/in/feature/te-araroa-trail/
http://www.tramplite.com/2014/06/te-araroa-trip-report.html#more

People will hate but it might be a good idea to invest in light gear. Are you entirely set on the whole 'avoiding assistance' thing? It's a nice aim but could potentially ruin a very cool trip very quickly. I'd definitely take a rod and fish some but leave the bow at home. Unless you are a wilderness guru you will be stopping to buy food. Even Granny bought Vienna sausage when walking the AT.

Other than that just spend as much as you can on the big three (shelter, bag, and sleeping bag) get a water filter, good boots and have fun. Don't get bent out of shape trying to hike it in a set way, your plans will change once you start walking. Be flexible.
>>
>>1061246
the avoiding assistance is a big thing. i want to lose my reliance on this degenerate society and become strong and smart as i do so. if maori and aboriginals can do it i sure can
>>
>>1061253
Oh man, I was all up for you having a cool trip but if that's your attitude you are either underage or dumb. Either way you are going to fail. Just hike the trail. Grow up and drop all that 'degenerate society' bullshit. Running away isn't going to change anything. You'll just get hungry and have to go home. There is no way you are going to walk >1000km unsupported without _decades_, if not a life time, of experience.
>>
>>1061256
whats so impossible about being unsupported. humans all over the planet did it for centuries
>>
>>1061261
Because they did not do it alone you facktard
>>
>>1061265
tell that to the abos that go walkabout and the bush maoris
>>
>>1061261
>humans all over the planet did it for centuries
Correct if I am wrong. But. You're. Not. One. Of. Them. Stop fantasizing about """"""losing your reliance on society"""""". You can't. Buy some nice camping gear. Hike the trail. Catch some fish if you want, that would be fun. Or just accept you aren't going to do it unsupported and stay at home.
Also see >>1061265 There is a reason humans have tended to group together.
>>
>>1061165
I come into these threads every now and then. Since May22nd I have been walking the 3,000 miles from Phoenix, AZ to New York City.

OP you're gonna need to build a couple years of experience before doing this. You sound like you've never done an overnight hike before, so start with that before trying to conquer the world. I told myself I would do this when I was 18, and it took me until now (24) to get the skills and mindset to be able to do it. Also AMA, OP.
>>
>>1061261
Mate if you want to "go bush" then Te Araroas not the way to do that. Spend the money elsewhere, I reccomend getting into hunting. It seems like a cool idea but trust me, youll be fucking sick of walking after a couple days.
>>
>>1061165
You know op, I'm a native American and when I was a kid we would go into the woods for a few days. Usually start with nothing but a knife and learn how to make shelter, weapons, set snares and generally stay alive. This is mostly because we didn't have any money for cool stuff. It would take me a day or two to remember, but I could feasibly pull it off.

I recommend trying for a few days at a time to get your feet wet. Gain some familiarity with your climate and the wildlife. It's good to say there's lots of deer and goats. There's lots of rabbits in Canada, but finding and catching them isn't quite so simple.

How are your bow skills? Can you repair one in the field or build your own? Can identify local trees suitable for bows and arrows? Edible plants, berries and availability. I would plan to be waylaid for a day while hunting until you get good.

Also learning first aid and having a way out in case of emergency would be a good idea. A sprained ankle in the middle of nowhere will severely inhibit your progress.
>>
>muh degenerate society
OP, if you're in such a rut, leaving your life behind to go on an adventure is a great idea, but mostly because it gives you a chance to meet people. Out in the bush you can leave society behind, you can level the field if you're a fuck up, you can forget who you are and just be on an adventure, and that's it, that's you. You have this point of connection with anyone, self worth from doing something difficult, the ability to walk away from anyone whenever you want (and therefor you won't want to so much) and an open mind from switching shit up.

You can't live life alone.
>>
>>1061301
>OP "adventuring" on a farm up the wanganui river
>Quadbike comes screaming across the paddock
BOOOM!!!!!!!!
>GET THE FUCK OFF MY PROPERTY!!!!!!!!
BARK!!!! BARK BARK!!!!

OP no longer wants to be an adventure, and realises he cosy neet life aint so bad after all
>>
>>1061300
Not OP just wanna say the best shit in New Zealand for bows (thats actually going to be found) is probably lancewood, mahoe makes alright shafts. And dont ever use flax for a bowstring, its way to rigid and strong with no flex, meaning it will litterally cut your veins open. Try to use nettle or macrocarpa bark.
>>
>>1061300
t. Elizabeth Warren
>>
>>1061325
Edible Shit:
>Flax
>Supplejack
>Cabbage Tree
>Kawakawa
>Karamu
>Fiddlefern
>Some mushrooms I dont know the name of
>NZ pasionfruit
>Blackberries
>Bush onion
>Cabbage tree root
>Kumara (real fucking hard to find in the bush)
>Dandelions and clover (in small ammounts)
>Pigeonwood

Construction Shit:
>Nikau prongs
>Punga prongs
>Flax (obviously)
>Lancewood
>Cabbage trees
>Bracken (insulstion and bed)
>Cutty grass (be fucking careful)
>Mahoe
>Manuka
>Macrocarpa bark
>Pine trees

Fire Shit:
>Horse shoe fungus
>Cramp ball fungus
>Dead supplejack
>Pine trees
>Mahoe (use this for firebows, lancewood works decent for the shaft)
>Raupo
>Macrocarpa (use the bark for tinder)
>Old mans beard
>Flax (the brown dead shit on the edge of the leaf)
>>
>>1061329
Shit to Avoid:
>Karaka
>Rhodedendron
>Onga onga
>Deadly nightshade
>Thistles
>Cutty grass
>Thistles
>Hemlock
>Agapanthas
>Fox glove
>Lily flowers

Living Shit to Avoid:
>Wasp
>Bees
>Katipos (also avoid those black bastards that look like them)
>Redbacks
>White tails
>Blue bottles
>Kina
>Water spiders (not posionous they just hurt like all fuck)
>Tunnelwebs
>Wood spider, the big cunts (Again not poisonous they just hurt like all fuck)
>Earwigs
>Angry cows
>Sharks
>Wetas (jesus fuck those bastards hurt)
>Huhu grubs (watch where you sleep else theyll eat you alive)
>Stags in the roar
>Pigs (by far the most dangerous animal in New Zealand)

Shit I Forgot to Mention:
>Cats tails (edible and useful for shit)
>Mint (Chuck some around your camp and the mossys will leave you alone)
>Moss
>>
>>1061338
I cant stress enough how dangerous pigs and wasp are. Theyll fuck you up beyond repair, Ive had a few close run ins, really dont mess with pigs or wasp without a gun or bee suit.
>>
OP here.
NewZealander gave me some good things to research and become familliar with thanks.
im 18 at the moment and my reason for wanting to do this is all my friends went to university and every time i meet them they are more degenerate and hedonistic. i cant see that path leading to happiness so im going in the opposite direction
my bow skills are good. with sporting bows atleast hitting near the center at 70m with almost every shot. dont know much about making them though
i have a relative the owns a farm ill see what i can do about going to stay with him and starting to spend days out alone
>>
>>1061253
>. i want to lose my reliance on this degenerate society and become strong and smart as i do so

>"I told the new me to meet me at thw bus station and hold a sign that read, 'today is the start of the rest of your life.' The old me met me with a sign that said 'welcome back.' Who you are is not a function of where you are."

t. Some irish dude.
>>
>>1061281
what method did you use to learn.
reading? from someone else? trial and error?
>>
File: giphy.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>1061620
>>
bro you could absolutely walk that distance with nothing but a tarp and a water filter

fuck these pussies you dont even need to est consider yourself lucky if you hit a squirrel on day 90

prepare to be transformed forever, it's gonna suuuuck
>>
>>1061681
This anons partially right, Its only a 2 month walk, theres tougher walks out there. But still youre going to regret everything after the third day. Normies will never understand the agony of actually long walks on the beach.
>>
>>1061165
hey mate how you going?
You can walk the Te Aroha trail, but it will be relatively hard to get all your food from hunting and fishing. Unfortunately you have to take a lot of roads/ state highways.
https://www.teararoa.org.nz
>>1061325
>Lacewood
Too flexible, no real strength, wouldn't use for a bow.
Manuka / Kanuka
Tough durable, used for axe handles, springy can be used for a bow, but avoid pieces with too many knots
>>
File: xuq3qZO.jpg (218KB, 1242x1532px) Image search: [Google]
xuq3qZO.jpg
218KB, 1242x1532px
>>1061681
No one is denying it's possible. I just don't think OP could do it. Just like I couldn't do it. And most the people who visit this site. And most people in general. I was just saying that if he wants to 'get away from it all' then he should just hike the trail. If things are going well he could slowly start to cut his ties with support, like I said, he should bring a rod and fish. But starting out like this is more than likely going to end in disappointment.
>>
>>1061786
Yea, but im meaning for a bow that will last you a couple of weeks and is easy to make, a survival bow of you will.
>>
>>1061631
I took a 3-day survival class, read a couple books, and just went on a bunch of hikes and camps, using as little equipment as possible over the years. Now, if you dedicated all your free time and energy into training for this, you could be ready in about 6 months. But that's training every day and weekend, so be prepared for that.

Also I'm walking on roads and highways, not trails and country roads, so my adventure is different than the one you want to do. I pull a handcart behind me and have 4 days of food and water on hand at all times, in addition to shelter and tools. However, when you're doing something like this, given the length, you can actually never be fully ready, because in order to prepare your body to walk 24 miles a day, every day, you have to already be doing that. So your real training begins when you take your first step out your door.

I thought what I'm doing right now was impossible until I did it, so keep your chin up and keep your eye on the prize. You'll be fine.
>>
>>1062241
>>1061165
Also, OP, your goals are entirely unrealistic, but that's not a bad thing. You want to live off the land with hunting, fishing, gathering etc. This takes YEARS of experience, and you will give up and go home if your goal is to live entirely off the land. So don't make it your goal.

Bring food and water, buy as much as you want from stores, but also try your best to hunt and fish along the way, honing your skills as you go. It won't be the ultimate survival adventure you dreamed of, but guess what? Your next adventure will be closer to that reality, and then the next one even closer. Just walking across North Island is a feat that you will remember forever.
>>
>>1061194
Fuck off, we're not full and I like it that way
>>
>>1061165
I don't see why you couldn't do this provided you have:
- Adequate clothing/shelter system.
- Ability to resupply water
- Ability to resupply food

What's not viable is becoming a woodsman who lives off the land while crossing from one side to the other.

You should read up on through-hiking. The backpacking light forums are a better place to start than 4chan.

You should also start researching gear and have an understanding of modern technical materials e.g. down vs synthetics, silnylon, cuben fibre, layering systems.
https://sectionhiker.com/
http://www.zpacks.com/
>>
>>1062356
>What's not viable is becoming a woodsman who lives off the land while crossing from one side to the other.
This point had been made. He could hike it and have an awesome experience. But he doesn't want to. Also, I know zpacks make cool tents but they are way overpriced and definitely not necessary. I decent silnylon tarp setup would be a lot of cost effective.
>>
>>1061190
Theres no deer in the north island you dumb cunt and farmers would fucking kill u for shooting a goat, they're not wild..
Mate tons of people walk across nz some of the best hike in the world are here.
Theyre just not man children who think theyre fucking Aragorn. North island is also very populated, you'll be walking along the side of the road. Just calm down and do a bit of research. Go to Australia and try to cross that instead so you can starve in the desert instead. Fuck off.
>>
>>1062570
>Theres no deer in the North Island
>Farmers would fucking kill you for shooting a goat, theyre not wild
Speak for yourself Aucklandfag.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.