[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fly/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 300px-Cessna172-CatalinaTakeOff.jpg (12KB, 300x218px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Cessna172-CatalinaTakeOff.jpg
12KB, 300x218px
Hey /out/, maybe this is more of an /o/ thread, but I was wondering if any of you have experience flying? Anyone do any bush pilot work, or do hobby flying at remote corners?

Topics for this would be
>Preferred aircraft
>Memorable flights you've flown/been on
>Cheap aircraft or airlines to go /out/
>Air photography
>Aircraft hunting
>etc.
>>
>>1060780
I just have a few hours logged in a 152. Hoping to land a UPT slot and become a military pilot.
But yeah, this thread kinda belongs in /n/.
>>
>>1060780
When I was a kid my Boy Scout troop went to an event by the Young Eagles where we all got a chance to fly a plane. Flying the plane was great and makes me wish I had the time /money to get a pilot's license.
>>
>>1060787
I suppose /n/, /o/, or /trv/ even would be good places for this, but I thought if we could focus on the more /out/ aspects of flying we could have some fun.

When you started learning to fly, how much did it run you for the first couple classes? I'm looking at maybe getting at least single prop licensing after college. I don't know if I could afford to make it a hobby but it seems like an enjoyable career decision.

Also, good luck with getting a UPT slot. The wait list is something to the tune of a year from what I've been told. I do know that you can get licensed on AC130s and some of the less sexy aircraft if you join the Air Force just in general, but that's more at the discretion of your unit.
>>
>>1060796
Getting a CPL is VERY expensive if you're looking at it. 250 logged minimum. $55kish.
Wet rentals for single prop can range significantly depending on gas costs, area, etc. $150 an hour isn't insane to pay, $40-75 an hour for an instructor. If you can manage under $180/hr, you're probably getting a decent deal, at least given my regional costs. Some flight schools may have introductory offers for the first few hours which are cheaper. If you're in a high-paying major a sport pilot license should be well within your means once you graduate. If you're a freshman or sophomore in college, consider AFROTC or NROTC if you want to fly - lots of work, though.
>I do know that you can get licensed on AC130s and some of the less sexy aircraft if you join the Air Force just in general
Never heard anything like that. You are probably thinking of the ANG. In the AF, if you are passed up by the board, you're more of less SOL until your contract time runs out and you can apply to ANG units. Also, most of the planes the AF flies are very sexy, hahaha.
>>
>>1060804
I was a bit off on my recollection of pricing, J-3s can be had at under $100 an hour.
>>
>>1060804
Yeah, I'm a senior this year (chemistry, pay is meh if you don't go for PhD). We have an aero club on campus that pretty much replaced our campus' flight program [spoiler]because the university couldn't afford it[/spoiler]. I guess they get a pretty good deal through the local airport, since I'm taking a light load this fall I may actually devote time into getting some flight instruction.
>Never heard anything like that. You are probably thinking of the ANG. In the AF, if you are passed up by the board, you're more of less SOL until your contract time runs out and you can apply to ANG units.
I just heard this through my old roommate, he said that his unit sent some of their guys to get trained on C-130s, even though they weren't commissioned or anything, they just needed dudes to fly.
>Also, most of the planes the AF flies are very sexy, hahaha.
This is true, lol.
>>
File: 0964594.jpg (215KB, 1024x711px) Image search: [Google]
0964594.jpg
215KB, 1024x711px
>>1060807
I do know of some NCOs who were selected to complete RPA training - NCO c-130 drivers I'm not sure about though hahaha.
Go for it if you're looking for flight instruction if you have the extra cash - probably won't evolve past a hobby though. I truly wish flying was an affordable hobby, sucks that costs are so high and will almost definitely remain so. Who knows, maybe I'll become a richfag and get to buy myself an L-29. You can buy one now for $50k!
>>
File: IMG_8213.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8213.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>
File: 1414603469434.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1414603469434.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
>>1061874
Extreme jealousy.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.