[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Climbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: tree-climbing-goats.jpg (373KB, 989x663px) Image search: [Google]
tree-climbing-goats.jpg
373KB, 989x663px
Been tree climbing a few times over the past few months SRT. We don't have mountains nearby but I would like to try sometime in the future.

I can already ascend with prussick, changeover to repel on a figure 8 or munter, ascend with just my feet. What are some things I could practice when low to the ground for emergencies?
>>
>pic

The floor is Muslims?
>>
>>1060367
Oh (you)
>>
>>1060369
Y-(You) too
>>
I am trying to get into this as well
I actually just ordered a harness, rope, an 8, one inch tubing, and cordage.
Are there any good books on the subject?
>>
>>1060315
>>1060390
I climb trees for a living. Admittedly to cut them down.

When we were training we used to play a game. The first climber goes up, gets a high anchor point then ties a ribbon or rag in a hard to reach place. The next climber then goes up and tried to get the ribbon or rag and re-ties it in a harder to reach place. It's good fun.

Lots of jobs require you to reach the near tips of all the branches so this game helped build your confidence in branch walking, redirecting etc.

Feel free to ask any questions.
>>
File: 1496110587934.jpg (251KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1496110587934.jpg
251KB, 1200x1200px
>>1060456
In rock climbing we use redundant anchors for security, from my understanding this is not practiced often in arborist trades.
From what I have seen there are two types of anchoring ideas, base anchors and canopy anchors.
Could you explain some of the differences, what type of knots or gear to use for either of these anchors?
>>
>>1060459
So the vast majority of the time I work off of double rope technique, someone is bound to have an issue with that term but stuff them.

DRT is where your main line runs up and over a limb and is connected to your harness with a knot or spliced eye and a friction cord or mechanical device. I use a rope with a spliced eye so don't need a knot to connect it to my harness, but most people a taught to use a bowline. However you can use anything really. I have seen some guys use double fisherman's, anchor hitches, something called a double dragon, etc. All them work. For my friction knot I know use a hitch climber system which I will explain in a second. In DRT your anchor is basically your rope being over the highest limb you can get to. The higher your anchor the easier it is to access the extremities of the crown.

SRT or single rope technique has gained a lot of popularity in tree surgery as both pure access and a work system. SRT is a little more wild west than DRT as there are a variety of semi home-brewed techniques being used. You can have your anchor in the crown or at the base of the tree, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't actually have much experience with SRT as I have yet to invest in the gear and DRT hasn't held me back in anyway.

The big difference between tree climbing, at least in the context of arboriculture, and rock climbing is that you climb your ropes more than the tree. The harnesses are designed to be sat back in so that the ropes take your weight. This allows you to branch walk on limbs that would never support your weight.

Excuse the crap stock photo but it was the best I could find that shows a DRT system with the anchor point. You can see the rope running over the limb, connecting to the harness and the friction knot.
>>
>>1060459
>>1060474
>For my friction knot I know use a hitch climber system which I will explain in a second.

A hitch climber is a fancy but affordable friction device usually consisting of a distel or Valdotain, a small pully and two crabs. The biggest advantages of this system for me are the fact it's much easier to tend, ie manage the slack, and can be manipulated with one hand easier than a prusik, this makes moving around the crown simpler.
>>
>>1060474
>>1060474
Forgot the stock picture.
>Excuse the crap stock photo but it was the best I could find that shows a DRT system with the anchor point. You can see the rope running over the limb, connecting to the harness and the friction knot.
>>
>>1060474
>>1060476
>>1060479
Thanks!
I was actually looking into SRT mostly and did not actually understand how a DRT would even work until you explained that hitch climber
>>
>>1060487
>>1060487
Yeah DRT is way simpler and would cost less to get into. Just a heads up, you need two ropes to actually ascend a tree. You chuck the first rope over a limb, climb up to it, then you have to chuck your second line to the next point and transfer your weight onto it and switch lines. Hope that makes some sense.
>>
>>1060547
Yes it does make sense, that picture helps also.
Though that method seems a bit damaging to the rope yeah?
The rope would be dragging across the tree crotch, correct?
>>
I went rock climbing for the first time recently. I had no idea that the harnesses were so good for making women look thicc as hell
10/10 had a good time
>>
File: fly-firefly-core-shot_1.jpg (60KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
fly-firefly-core-shot_1.jpg
60KB, 1200x1200px
>>1060554
Yeah, but if you get a decent arborist's line then you'll never wear it out rec-climbing. The lines last long enough when you are climbing 5 days a week.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.