[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kayaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

File: KAYAKING.jpg (482KB, 2000x1102px) Image search: [Google]
KAYAKING.jpg
482KB, 2000x1102px
Hey /out/, I am about to go kayaking for the first time tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous to be completely honest. I'm nervous about flipping over and not being able to get back up, and, should I have to get out of the kayak underwater, not being able to get back in the damn thing. The river I'm going down is supposed to be calm, so I'm not worried about rapids or anything.
1. How easy is it to flip a kayak upright when underwater?
2. How easy is it to get out of the thing if you have to?
3. I'm overweight (working on that problem). Is kayaking a bad idea for overweight people, barring the event that they don't have a big enough kayak?
I'm kind of pessimistic by nature, and was just wondering about it.
Also, general kayaking thread, I guess.
>>
>>1060179
>>1060179
You have to be either really fat or really uncoordinated to flip one. If you are neither of those things you will be fine after the first minute or two you are in it. Majority of the people I've seen flip and it's very few, have flipped right after getting in it. In that case you're right next to the bank so it's no big deal
>>
>>1060188
I am pretty big. I stand at 6'3" tall, and weigh somewhere on the upper end of 300 (this brings me much shame). I have a big frame, so the weight is pretty distributed throughout. In other words, I'm fat, but I'm not a blimp. Will this cause problems?
>>
>>1060179
How many inches wide is this kayak?
Also, wear a PFD.
>>
Used to go kayaking every other day for about 3 months while working at a resort. Saw all kinds of people do it, most for the first time ever and never had a single accident, none that I know had ever tried to purposely flip one over but I don't think it would be easy or possible at all, they're just made that way.

Going back up if you happen to fall down shouldn't be impossible but it will be hard and not everyone will be able to do it even with help, so don't get off the kayak unless you're on the ground or you won't get back on it.
>>
>>1060212
If you happen to flip it, but you're not out of it, is it pretty easy to flip it back upright if you just throw your weight back and forth?
>>
>>1060199
I have no idea how wide it is. You pay for it when you get there
>>
>>1060221
the kayak that you get will be a cheap sit on top kayak and if you flip it it doesnt have anywhere to get filled with water, so you put your big boy panta on and pull yourself back on top, its easy as fuck. the kayak in the op pic would be more difficult because it fills up with water sometimes, but if you flip it quick it wont fill up and id you dont fall out its possible with proper technique to do the "Eskimo roll" and flip it up whilr inside. easier on some kayaks more than others
>>
>>1060188
>>1060199
>>1060212
>>1060228
Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated
>>
File: IMG_1432.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1432.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>easy answer. Inwas once worried two

Took it to a flat lake, close to boat launch ramp
& tried rolling, getting back in.
Just get confortable.

Now only have 3 worries
>sea lions, snagging on trees, big ocean waves
>>
>>1060417
Well I shouldn't have to worry about sea lions and ocean waves, at least, because it's a river that I've been told is pretty calm.
>>
>>1060179
>>1060220
I am pretty new to kayaking, I have roughly 150 hours on the water. Regardless hopefully I can answer your questions. Also I am assuming you doing this by yourself in a single kayak.

1. How easy is it to flip a kayak upright when underwater?
Pretty difficult. It's one of those things that takes a lot more skill then you might imagine. It's less brute force and more technique. It took me multiple days with a friend who new what she was doing to even get me to be halfway decent. It takes a lot to build up to a successful roll.

2. How easy is it to get out of the thing if you have to?
This is pretty easy. It's something I learned on my first day of kayaking. Once you flip just for chill for a second, hold your breath and relax. Pull the strap for your spray skirt and just get out. It's easy. There are a few ways to get back in a single kayak. The easiest is just to get to the stern of the boat, pull yourself onto the stern of the kayak (so that it's in between your legs - and this point you should be facing the bow of the boat) and just scoot forward to the cockpit. I would recommend this only in calm water. The other way involves you using a (sorry I forget what this is called exactly) inflatable counter balance that you put at the end of one of your paddles which then goes in the water, the other end of the paddle gets secured in the webbing of the kayak. This makes it easier to hoist yourself back into the kayak without flipping again.

3. Being over weight and kayaking
Can't really answer this, sorry, I don't have any expirence kayaking with someone who is overweight.
>>
>>1060587
Seconding theese answers. I have kayaked quite a bit myself
>>
>>1060179
>Is kayaking a bad idea for overweight people,
Mine is rated to 300 pounds, I'm not quite that fat, so I haven't had any problems. I suppose a skinny high performance kayak might be too narrow for my fat ass but a wide recreational boat is fine.
>>
>>1060197
Don't be ashamed, buddy, just try to do something about it for your own benefit. It will be so much better for your health and you'll feel better and be happier with more energy. When I lost weight, I found that looking better was 10% of the reward; I assumed it would be the main plus of dropping weight but I was amazed at how much more comfortable I felt in my clothes, how much more comfortable moving around was, how great it is not to have a large mass (my gut) hindering my bending down and getting squashed up when I sit down. It's the best, anon, and we'll worth it. Make sure you do it sensibly, take your time and learn new healthy habits (you'll start to enjoy healthy food over junk food after time, it just takes a while for things to change).
And good luck with the kayaking.
>>
File: onward to adventure.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
onward to adventure.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>1060179
>Also, general kayaking thread, I guess.
Going to take this opportunity to blog instead of making a new thread.

We went down Cedar Creek in Ocean County, NJ on Sunday for my brother's birthday and had a great time. The trip usually takes 5 or 6 hours, but we flew down the creek and finished at just over 3 and a half hours. My brother had a kayak seat that was not intended for his kayak and so the straps dug into his back the whole time - but our trip (mine and my dog Jake's) was nice albeit shorter than we expected.
>>
File: does this thing go faster.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
does this thing go faster.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>1062347
We had also invited one of my co-workers along - he had fun too but I get the feeling he was annoyed at how quickly we rushed down the river. Oh well, next time my brother likely won't be going since it's a lot of effort to get our schedules to line up and I won't have to rush my co-worker.
>>
File: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Here's a Greenland style paddle I'm in the process of making (with a whole lot of help, hah). Once it's balanced and sanded down I plan on hitting it with varnish, and then putting some epoxy and fiberglass on the tips of the paddles. Should turn out sweet.
>>
>>1062347
What breed is your dog
>>
Anybody here whitewater kayak or raft? Gibs me some stories.
>>
File: 285f088.png (94KB, 646x222px) Image search: [Google]
285f088.png
94KB, 646x222px
>>1060179
What's the verdict on these foldable kayaks they sell at REI? My office is right on the water, so I like of being able to paddle to work, fold up the kayak, and then paddle home at the end of the day.
>>
>>1064379
They seem to have good reviews, but I'd probably get a skin on frame folder before I got one of those (takes longer to set up though which might get boring day in and day out).

A decent inflatable might work too.
>>
>>1063986
He's a mix - Miniature Pincer + Miniature Poodle.

They call it "Min-Pin-Poo" but I just call him Jake.
>>
>>1064379
>>1064416
Why can't you use a regular wood or plastic kayak, an appropriate caddie, and a bicycle chain?
>>
>>1064576
he seems like a good boy
>>
>>1064628
He is, now. He was a little terror until he started going out on the boat - he's really mellowed out since becoming a salty dog.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhLmrcOR1ss

guy covers it all
>>
do you think a pelican catch 120nxt will be able to keep up with canoes on a portaging trip?
>>
File: 2017-07-25 13.40.43.jpg (421KB, 1062x1887px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-25 13.40.43.jpg
421KB, 1062x1887px
Paddle guy here, finished shaping/sanding and applied the first coat of varnish. It's got three coats left to apply then I'll be applying the fiberglass to the tips.
>>
File: 2017-07-25 13.46.15.jpg (1MB, 1884x1060px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-25 13.46.15.jpg
1MB, 1884x1060px
>>1067936
All the edges have been radiused as well. Can't wait to take it out for a spin.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.