[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vandwelling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

((Mr. Supertramp unrelated))
I'm going to be living in a van for the next year doing consultant work, and I have a very limited budget. What, in your opinion, are the most essential items someone new to "vanlife" would most likely never think of? Keep in mind I'll be in mostly warmer climates.

Here's a list of what I've considered already, feel free to lmk if any of them are nonessential:
-Cooler
-Van repair manual
-Electric kettle
-Hotplate
-Wifi system (antenna, booster, etc)
-Solar system (2 100W panels, 2 cheap batteries, remote)
-Thermos
-Sleeping bag
-Basic medical supplies
-Car jack
-Spare tire
-Reflectix
-12 volt fan
-Carbon monoxide alarm
-Fire extinguisher
-Tent (just in case)
-Coleman solar shower
-Thule box and/or roof rack for extra storage
etc...

I didn't include monthly/weekly expenses because I don't want to make this post too long. However if you have any ideas of expenses I might have forgotten abt feel free to tell me.
>>
Tent is not optional nor for emergencies only. If you plan to live IN your can you have already lost, you must find ways to live OUT of your can.

I vandwelled for half a year and even with autistic hygiene and a cooler climates, the... smell of living in a can became permanent until I started sleeping outside as much as possible and airing my shit out. You fart so much during sleeping that that alone can stink shit up. Try and cook outside to
>>
Good list but you left out the fucking van genius.
>>
Get a job you fucking hippy!
>>
-electric kettles will drain your battery in minutes. Same goes for hotplates.
-Don't bother with a wifi kit. Go to starbucks, public libraries etc.
-Monoxide alarm? Wtf?
-if you're planning on cooking in your van (I don't advise it) be sure to buy a battery powered fan to ease air circulation
-solar shower. Just use public facilities. You'll learn soon enough how to rub the morning grease off with paper towel from washrooms
-thule box. Dead give away, you don't need that much junk
-solar is a MEME. You either aren't getting enough light to make it worthwhile, or your capacity is too low, AND you stick out l ike a sore thumb. I do not advise, public libraries have good electrical outlets for charging laptops which is the only need for electrical you'll ever have
-coolers are useless.Nothing stays cold in a van, not in summer

my food principle was to buy 1.5 hrs labour to cover the day after work. Typically this was something like 1 carrot, bananas (lunch food), potato mojo's (cheap at grocer delis I found), 1L vegetable juice, beans, a small milk, and a meat product. Sometimes bagels if they're on sale. You don't want to store any of this stuff because it won't keep for long- even bananas will boil into sap on your dashboard in a single day if you let them.

also van life makes you horribly depressed
>>
ditch the hotplate , thermos and kettle for pic related
solar is good but make sure you have enough amp hours to match your needs.
If its hot you need ice every two days in a cooler and it becomes a huge pain in the ass.
Splurge on a nice freezer/fridge
Maxxair roof fan is a must
I have nearly a year all told of vanlife and I have never had lingering smells from cooking or farting.
>>
File: cuckstove.jpg (16KB, 355x236px) Image search: [Google]
cuckstove.jpg
16KB, 355x236px
>>1060103
forgot the damn pic
>>
>>1060098
>coolers are useless.Nothing stays cold in a van, not in summer
This is no exaggeration. Even a real fridge has a hard time keeping up in summer.
>>
Where can I buy this guy's boots? They look pretty comfy
>>
>>1060098
>>1060103
These guys are right. I've been full time in a van for over a year and a half now. Get a propane stove and cook outside or just make sure you vent well. Also everything those guys said is accurate. What area of the country will you be in?
>>
>>1060055
>>1059922
>((Mr. Supertramp unrelated))
>I'm going to be living in a van for the next year doing consultant work,
>>
>>1060103
>I have never had lingering smells from cooking or farting.
Do you think old people know their house smells like soup?
Do you think immigrants know how strong the smell of cheap cologne is?

They don't. Because they become accustomed to it.

You need really good cross ventilation to get habitation smells out.

Helps to have your doors open as much as you can.

In winter the smell of smoke will cover up almost anything - if you have a woodstove that is.
>>
>>1060348
>Helps to have your doors open as much as you can.
I always have at least the slider open when I cook.
I also run the roof fan all the time and keep the ven open 24hrs a day in summer.
Never had any smells .
I also run with other van dwellers and rvers and no has really complained about smells
>>
>>1060104
I used one of those. You'll never get good enough venting in a van (I HAD a roof vent guys) to avoid getting poisoned. But it's okay if you don't mind cooking in parks
>>
What about an fan system with an air filter? Would that help the smell?
>>
>>1061471
did your vent have a fan? I cant imagine that not working out just fine since I never had any problems at all
>>
>>1059922

I lived in my car for a year and I will tell you to carry as little as possible. Pile the stuff you want to take and reduce it further. Bring a week or two of clothing, a couple blankets, make your own first aid kit (dont buy one), fire extinguisher, baby wipes are good for keeping yourself clean if you cant use your shower, get a small tote for medication and hygiene, get a small tote for food, garbage bag dirty clothes, and I personally recommend propane appliances, get a converter, skip the roof rack, they cost to much for the limited space and they are thief magnets, dont bother with the cooler, I recommend getting a 1gal water container like (pic related) you can fill them up at the tap/water fountain and the last thing I can think of...can of bug spray. You will get spiders and roaches in your vehicle especially if you eat in it and you will eat in it.

PROTIPS:
A lot of people that live in their vehicles do so because they are fukt in the head. Not all, but a lot. Alcoholics or drug addicts can usually afford cars but not all of them can afford apartments/homes. These people are always looking for other people that share their hobby. Not to mention the people that specifically target homeless people. Be extremely leery of anyone that sees you in your van and approaches you.

When you park for the night dont do anything else. Dont cook, dont sit and watch youtube all night if the front seat. Park, jump in the back, be quiet and sleep.
If you get told to fuck off out of a parking lot or from parking on a street, say ok and fuck off.

Cops in my experience are pretty chill with vehicle dwellers as long as you look clean and dont have criminal history.

Do vehicle maintenance and keep a repair budget.

Last but not least, get out of your van as much as possible. Go walk in a park or mall. Sit in a library for A/C, wifi, electricity. Public wifi is not secure, dont do anything on it that requires sensitive info.
>>
File: 796515877878-5.jpg (66KB, 500x608px) Image search: [Google]
796515877878-5.jpg
66KB, 500x608px
>>1062103
>muh pic

Dont get one of those coleman coolers with the flip top spigot. They will make your water taste nasty after a day or two. Dont get one with a valve because they will leak when the water sloshes around as you drive. Screw cap only.
>>
>>1062021
oh, I didn't. I had a battery fan but it wasn't sufficient. Even with the side door wide open, I'd still feel lightheaded. If it worked for you anyways, congrats champ.

>>1062103
you have any cool break in stories? I'm curious about what you mean by "people who target homeless people" and the like.
>>
>>1062396
>you have any cool break in stories?
Nah no one fucked with me like that. I have had two separate occasions where someone (both were living in pickup trucks) approached me, but I just told them to fuck off.

>I'm curious about what you mean by "people who target homeless people" and the like.
It means what it means. There are thieves that will break into a car or carjack a car/van dweller because they know that person has all their valuables in the vehicle. Then of course you have psychos that kill street people cause no one will notice if they are gone, but they dont usually fuck with car dwellers.
>>
>>1062396
You lightheadedness did not come from the stove
>>
>>1060098
van life makes you depressed? if you have depression and don't take pills then yeah... but van life is much better than apartment life especially if your options are shitty to okay apartments
>>
>>1063495
explain. Because I'm telling you right now, I'd get lightheaded from the smell of gas coming off that burner. Which coincidentally, tells you to use it in a space of good ventilation...

>>1063500
I took pills, literally did not help whatsoever. You don't have any idea what you're talking about. It's far more stressful to be in a heated, hardly private arts nest with few amenities compared to an apartment with all of that. Van life is hard on a person unless they have a bunch of money to make it comfy/are tourists
>>
>>1059973
Not to mention your farts will set off your sensors.
>>
>>1063651
>I'd get lightheaded from the smell of gas coming off that burner

I have never smelled any gas from mine.
I have gone through 7 cansisters of butane so far.
Are you chemically sensitive ?
>>
You guys are such pussies. A van and a few grand is easy living
>>
>>1059922
Hey OP what kind of van are you getting? I want to know because I'm looking for a budget van too
>>
>>1065463
get an express 1500
>>
>>1065710
Do you know anything about Astros? I've been between an Express or an Astro for awhile. But I've heard transmissions go out on Astros more often
>>
>>1066147
Same transmission in both vans and it gets great mileage but cant tow worth beans.
Tow with it and you will be buying a new one for about 2 grand in repairs.
The AWD is great on both but they get similar fuel economy and the express is way bigger.
I see no advantage to the astro except its a bit more comfortable to drive.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.