[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bears and permanent camps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

File: thosbears.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
thosbears.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
Got this thing a group of people and I are working on as sort of a base camp so we can go way /out/ and play action man but still have an emergency place to stay, get food, water etc. What's your protocol for cooking? Do you have a separate location? In NH so really only blackbears.
>>
Foxes too but I could cockslap them to death
>>
>>1058852
If you are going to do this get an electric bear fence.

Here is a good video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6bThnA9Tvg

I would definitely fortify it in some way though anon. And I would cook in a different spot.
>>
>>1058867
>electric bear fence
that's what I was gonna say

however it would be no match for stupidly, take common sense measures
>>
>>1058852
Just make the food impossible to get, bro. You'll then see evidence of attempts at getting the food. At which point you can set traps.
>>
>>105885
>permanent camp
be there... bears don't go near people. if they do, eat them! that will teach the rest not to go near people.
>>
>>1058956
A miner was just killed on camp while working in alaska within the last month. If a mine and a mining camp isnt a permanent camp I dont know what is, stop spreading misinfo.
>>
>>1059071
>blackbears
>>
>>1059147
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/black-bear-attacks-human-wildlife-conflict-alaska/
Nigger, the miner was killed by a blackbear, as well as a runner by another blackbear, just in the last month.
>>
>>1059160
>alaska
>>
>>1059160
I'll have a gun don't worry darling
>>
>>1059160
people don't understand that black bear under 300kg and black bear above 300kg (and most likely male) is a totally different thing.

the first one is a huge pussy afraid of kittens and stern talk the second doesn't give no fucks it's a top predator and actually the most likely to predate on humans of all bears.
>>
>>1058852
Story behind the Pic?
>>
>>1059269
Guy was hiking and got attacked by a black bear. It kept coming even after getting bear maced. He fought it off and hiked two-three miles back out for cell service and then told people, "Fuck mace, use a gun," on Facebook Live or something.
>>
Ok so- It's on top of an incredibly steep hill that we would certainly hear something coming up, It's dug into the ground several feet, all of the roof bits are hammered deep into the ground, there are 2 exits, the food cache will be booby trapped, and we may haul out some corrugated aluminum roofing. What else? Spears?
>>
>>1059291
Wrong, he said the mace doesn't always work but it is better than nothing.

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK609rbSBLs

Here is the video:
>>
>>1059393
I mean, i wouldnt put any weight to what he says, he has changed his story about 4-5 times as time goes on, when that happened his story was that the bear was 80 meters away when it charged the first time, about 50 the second time, he dumped 2 cans of bear spray or teh same can twice, and he lost his pistol completely while not having time to use it, but most recently he claims the bear was 30 meters away the first time, practically on top of him the second, he only used bear spray once, and that he consciously chose not to use the .44 mag and walked out with it on his hip.

The only thing that hasent changed is he used bear spray and it didnt work, but even that has changed with the initial vid of "Bear spray dosent always work" to, "It definitely worked, id be dead if I didnt have it"

The whole story is just a shit fest with how much he changes his tune over the past year and a half.
>>
>>1059393
>Wrong, he said the mace doesn't always work
it works - as in stopping an attack - always if you use i on the bear. 1 in a million that it fails you. not enough bear encounters to be significant. the problem is if the bear wants to eat you it can keep coming back.
>>
>>1059400
80 feet is nearly 30 meters people keep mixing up these metrics all the time even on big news channels.
>>
>>1059700
except originally it was 80meters, then 80 meters before it went into the bushes and came out at 60 meters, then "about" 50 meters, now in the most recent interview on youtube its 30 meters straight up.
>>
>>1059147
I'm from NH just like op. Blackbears here are known to break into people's houses to get at food or birdseed (especially in spring), sometimes when people are at home. My neighbor had one break into his porch to get at birdseed while he was home. Another lady found one in her kitchen.

OP, just get a bear box like they have at some of the AT sites. Or weld one yourself if you or your friends are able. The steel boxes that many farmers keep grain in will work just fine too.
>>
>>1059320
Keep the food cache outside of the camp and make sure it's in a very sturdy metal box.
>>
File: 1496296928934.jpg (76KB, 288x402px) Image search: [Google]
1496296928934.jpg
76KB, 288x402px
Can you scare off a black bear with a .22?
>>
>>1060509

Can an sks(7.62 x39) take down any bear ??
>>
>>1059799
>>1059800
I have something that would work. I'll see if anyone has a game camera that I can set up.
>>
>>1060510
Probs. I'm just asking to know if I would be relatively safe lightpacking inawoods will a small caliber handgun.
>>
>>1060528
Why would you ever take a .22 handgun innawoods?

You're more likely to end up having to throw the thing at the bear when it inevitably jams
>>
STAWPAN POWAH discussions always make me laugh. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd google up that video of a lion being killed with a .223 revolver.

But about black bears : a sold steel box, fastened to the ground works.

Your other option is to hang the food in such a way the bear can't get it from the ground and can't climb up and get it. The way I've seen it done in parks is a tall steel arch that you throw a rope over and hoist your get up with.

Booby trapping your food cache is fucking stupid, not to mention illegal.
>>
>>1061812
Shut up faggot I mean with m80s or some other tomfoolery so as to reinforce a negative association. Maybe an aerosolization of capsaicin or ammonia.
>>
>>1060510
Yes and no

A perfect shot, yes of course. If it's less than perfect, will take multiple rounds.

It's too small of a caliber to reliably kill the largest bears with one shot.

Small bears it will drop easily.
>>
>>1060509
>>1060528
No, a 9mm is the bare minimum. Even a 9mm will have you saying a prayer.
>>
>amerifriends think Australia is this super dangerous place with killer wildlife and death around every corner

YOU GUYS HAVE 300 PLUS KG MONSTERS WALKING AROUND YOUR NATIONAL PARKS. WE CAN LITERALLY PUNCH A KANGAROO IN THE FACE. HOLY SHIT HOW CAN ANY OF YOU EVEN LEAVE YOUR HOUSE BEARS ARE FUCKING TERRIFYING WHAT THE HELL
>>
>>1061876
>MONSTERS
they are just curious and ill mannered tree dogs
>>
>>1061917
This. Just give um space and don't leave your shit lying around.
>>
>>1061917
I kek
>>
File: download (2).jpg (12KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
12KB, 275x183px
Here's your bear gun. Get the same caliber revolver to go with it.

https://youtu.be/1ZVGwty3Yas
>>
File: Beauty-1-SBR.jpg (839KB, 1200x813px) Image search: [Google]
Beauty-1-SBR.jpg
839KB, 1200x813px
>>1062125
Same poster. I know some guys that carry some short of short 12g NFA type shotgun ak12 like ,that holds like a box of magnum slugs. That will take care of anything in front of it.

Something like pic related but folding stock. Easy to carry anywhere
>>
File: 712244.jpg (102KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
712244.jpg
102KB, 880x660px
>>1062132
Use these slugs for shit that bites back.

Brenneke USA Black Magic Magnum Ammunition 12 Gauge 3" 1-3/8 oz Lead Rifled Slug Box of 5
>>
>>1062132
Poorfag so I was considering a mossberg mav 88 which is very versatile as well as affordable. Pump shotguns for bears?
>>
>>1059238
Jesus christ, where do black bears get that big? Biggest I've seen near me in central California is less than half that weight.
>>
>>1062125
>>1062132
I never go out in bear country without my .45-70 or an 870 with slugs, depends on what im doing, several night camping and hiking or whatever.
>>
File: ;;;;;.jpg (182KB, 1098x409px) Image search: [Google]
;;;;;.jpg
182KB, 1098x409px
>>1062219
Fugg forgot pic
>>
>>1062180
they are on average stay smaller but the ones that grow big develop an attitude. black bears can grow up to 350-400kg even.
>>
>>1062699
>The record is 880 pounds in Craven County, North Carolina, and a close second from northeastern Minnesota weighed 876 pounds on September 5, 1994. Wild females usually weigh between 90 and 300 pounds with the heaviest known female weighing 520 pounds in northeastern Minnesota on August 30, 1993.

Thats the max recorded weights, and thats in the North carolina, theoretically they could be even bigger but its not unheard of to get bears in excess of 300kg, anyone who dosent take something that weighs as 3 or more times as much as you is a fool.
>>
>>1061865
bear minimum XD
>>
>>1062708
the thing is the lean weight of bears would be more informative tho. a 300kg bear will tip the scales around 230kg when it comes out of hibernation. it's the same bear. so a lean 230kg bear is as dangerous as a fat 300kg one or even more since it's fucking hungry.
>>
>>1062791
So when the max recorded weight is 397.4kg, even if that is at its fattest its still at least 3 times my weight when thin, and longer on all fours at 76" or 6'3 from nose to butt as I am tall at 6'2
>>
>>1062803
their lean mass is still impressive yes, but what i'm getting about when you try to determine how dangerous a bear is ie how likely it develops a predatory attitude towards humans the lean weight is more informative than the "record" weight.

i generally use the rule of thumb if something weights twice as much as you you are in big fucking trouble if you get in a fight. humans can easily handle anything their own body weight. some tough motherfuckers can handle stuff up to twice their bodyweight. the human body is kind of amazing people forget we were apex predators way before we started making tools. but if it's bigger than that the strength difference is just too overwhelming.
>>
>>1062810
also you have to consider something when fighting a bear, they are surprisingly good at wrestling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjnuVFmiDfM
i have watched many videos the bear usually takes down a human roughly his size until it tires out. humans will eventually prevail because we can sustain wrestling way longer. better heat management better adapted muscles for endurance. more precise muscle control etc...

but of course the bear will just bite your face off if you try to tire him out.
>>
>>1062816
here is an other vid it's just playing but it shows how easily the bear can avoid a takedown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpAFPlFDVW4
>>
>>1062816
>>1062817
This is why if you end up having to hand fight a blackie, you shove an arm down his throat and stab his eyes, head and throat.
Bear Mace doesn't always work, and its hard to hit a charging bear in a spot that will drop it with a firearm. It will often take multiple shots, which you won't have time for. Best bet is to have bear bells on so you don't surprise them, plus food safety, and to have a buddy with you that you trust with your life, because they'll need to shoot the bear from the side through the lungs while you've got an arm down the gullet. If you have to fight a blackie, you're going to get fucked up, but you don't have to die.
Also, bring doggo innawoods.
>>
File: d4620ecd18cc5c26ca3911ebf0dc84f2.jpg (706KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
d4620ecd18cc5c26ca3911ebf0dc84f2.jpg
706KB, 2048x1536px
Get a couple of these guys to hang out with you.

Caucasian sheperds
>>
Or dis japanese protector desu

Akita
>>
>>1058867
i love varg now
>>
>>1059071
their mistake was not eating the bar that got comfy with humans.
>>
>>1061876
Can confirm as an Australian
>>
>>1062143
Mavs are fine. Make sure you buy one with a short barrel and a full stock if it's just for bear, long barrel if you're hunting small game too. Full stock is a must though, pistol grip seems hand and easier but is a pain in the butt for follow up shots
>>
>>1061820
Still stupid and still illegal.

I mean even rigging a little popup flag with "Boo!" written on it is illegal (for some reason).
>>
>>1064825
Stupid why?
>>
>>1058852
Montana here, that Orr guy lives near me, pretty sure I've met him more than once but can't remember.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.