[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Garberg or garbage?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5322.jpg (326KB, 1600x1015px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5322.jpg
326KB, 1600x1015px
Opinions on the Mora Garberg?
Whats up with the holes in the so called full tang?
Is the price to high?
>>
>>1057405
The holes are to prevent the blade coming off. They are full of molded plastic. Looks like a well engineered design to me.

The price is too high.
>>
>>1057407

Mora Companion $12

Mora Garberg $90

For me, it's not enough of an improvement to justify that much of a price increase for a small increase in tang material, and two pinholes and maybe a lanyard hole would be all it needs...but I can see why they put the holes away from the mid point of the blade, because that's where 90% of the torque that'll break a tang would be concentrated and rounding the transition would appear to make sense over a sharp sudden reduction.

Yeah it's tough but not $80 tougher.

cringey destruction test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVwrk88VFio
>>
>>1057566
>>1057407
>>1057405
About to click purchase on a mora companion, for a knife to keep in my truck toolbox and forget about. Would reccomend for that?
>>
The only Mora worth buying is the traditional model.
>>
>>1057579
Yep.
>>
>>1057579
>Would reccomend for that?
Certainly, the carbon steel version. Click it already. There's also a robust version with a thicker blade, but don't bother. It's just more difficult to sharpen.

Apply some (any) oil to the blade (preferably not to the plastic handle) before you put it in the toolbox. Carbon steel is superior to Sandvik stainless, but rusts easily.

>>1057590
not true, maybe for woodworking it is, as it has no guard.
>>
>Gar(((berg)))
>>
>>1057614
97% of Mora models do not have guards.
>>
>>1057637
Sorry I didn't mean a huge separate guard like in a bowie knife. I'd say both Garber and 2000 clearly have an upper and a lower guard while Companion only has a lower guard. A classic mora is the only one with no guard at all, but there are versions that have a huge steel guards - for children and for heavy construction work I believe.

I prefer small lower guard only.
>>
>>1057579

Absolutely.

>>1057614

An overnight dunk in some boiled vinegar will give it a matte patina that'll protect the blade from rust.

go to 9:00 to see difference between mustard patina and boiled vinegar.

https://youtu.be/w5mjzUp-QVA?t=9m00s

The grip on the companion has enough give to feel grippy even if you're stabbing zombies through the eye socket. The Garberg is a bit slippery.
>>
>>1057590
Classic no. 2 is one of my favorite knives that I own. Nothing comes close in making stakes.
>>
>>1057924
I have a laminated number whatever.

I tried to break it by batoning tip first into a knot, then putting weight on the handle.
It bent, but didn't break. Then I leaned on it from the other side.

It ended up shaped like a gentle S. Wouldn't even fit the sheath.
I put it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Months later it was straight as an arrow.
Swedish magic and shit.
>>
>>1057405
Mora is a meme, just get a Buck.
>>
>>1057405

I'd rather buy a Companion and a mid-range EDC folder for the same overall price or less; you won't lose anything, and you'll gain a backup with the EDC folder.

Companion
Cold Steel Finn Wolf
>>
>>1058114

The Bucklite Max fixed would probably be a good USA made replacement for a Mora Companion

Not much more. Full tang. Similar size. Similar steel quality.
>>
>>1057932
What the fuuuuuuck
>>
>>1058218
I know right. Spooky as fuck.

I had engineers and metallurgists at the Lahore University of Technology in Pakistan examine it in detail.
(Only cost like €16 including shipping both ways.)

They tested for the presence of "Viking Vodoo" as I requested, and also other sorts of Nordic magic or interference from supernatural beings.

They said it was a normal phenomenon.

I had a priest bless it. Not sure if it helped.
>>
>>1058166
The blade geometry and grind is a bit meh
>>
File: images.png (25KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
25KB, 289x174px
>>1057932
>>
>>1058271

I don't mind hollow grinds; they're stronger than the scandi and you can get them just as sharp with the same effort.

I'd consider the Bucklite a decent substitution to a Mora.
>>
>>1057622
Now you know why it costs $90 instead of $9.
>>
>people unironically pay this much for a disposable knife
Moras are the equivalent of home depot Milwaukee brand knives.
They are disposable hobby and tool knives
If you pay more than 15 dollars for one you are flat out retarded.
If you want to spend money on a knife, get a good one.
>>
>>1058712
>they're stronger than the scandi
what are you smoking? i want some!
>>
>>1058955
>hey! I want to be stupid too
>>
>>1057405
The design is good, exactly what the community waited for.
Instead of being based as usual, mora milks the community of that much money and calls 12c28n special secret steel. I was really disappointed.

>>1058945
I see the bushcraft black as the upper limit. It has really proven it's worth to me in the last years, super practical and comfy knife with good steel.
Only problem is the rust.
>>
>>1057932
Steel has a memory

The same thing can happen when a knife goes dull, if you leave it for a while the next time you pick it up it might feel sharper
>>
>>1058270
>>1057932
>>1059388
a faaaaar more likely explanation is that OP actually had two knives of the same type, forgot about the straight one in a drawer and binned the bent one
>>
This >>1059388 and this>>1059577
Or to me the most logical explanation Anons dad found it bent up in a drawer and thought to himself 'this is the little faggots favourite knife, did he stick it in concrete again? I know he loves it so Im gonna straighten it, even though I can never make my son straight'
>>
>>1058923
Lel
>>
>>1059608
>I know he loves it so Im gonna straighten it, even though I can never make my son straight'
rofl, that was a perfectly good explanation
>>
>>1059608
Seems mighty specific, especially the part about your father trying to straighten your dick.

I don't think that applies in my case though.

>>1059388
When I sharpen my knives and put them away, they seem to get duller the next time I use them.

Maybe I've accidentally overwritten part of the memory?

The official explanation in case anyone was wondering was that the unhardened outer layers had no spring in them and "set" at however you bent them.

But the middle layer, had some spring in it and wanted to return to straight again.

Eventually the middle layer will push the softer outer layers back into shape.
>>
>>1060038
>>1060169
>>>1059608 (You) #
Seems mighty specific, especially the part about your father trying to straighten your dick. I don't think that applies in my case though

It was a joke, anon, im sorry
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.