[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Field dressing deer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: FOODFACTS-062.jpg (40KB, 460x402px) Image search: [Google]
FOODFACTS-062.jpg
40KB, 460x402px
How physically strong do I need to be to do this?
Any first time experiences you want to share?
What does it smell like after you cut it open?
>>
>>1057228
>How physically strong do I need to be to do this?
11 year old girl strong.

>What does it smell like after you cut it open?
Warm. It feels and smells warm.

Do the blood drinking ritual first.
It gets you in the right state of mind, and used to the smell and warmth.
>>
Baton bones to get to the marrow.
>>
>>1057236
>Do the blood drinking ritual first.
Won't he get parasites or some disease?
>>
>>1057228
Where I live, you only need the head and cowl of the skin to check in the deer. That's just the head and some of the hide from the shoulders.

When I'm out hunting, I carry a duffle bag and frame back pack. Those plus a knife, bonesaw, and rifle allow me to take 2 deer home. I can attach the heads to the frame pack and stuff the meat into the pack and bag.

For field dressing, I lay the deer down on one side the cut the hide from the top of the back and skin it down to the ankles on that side. I remove the backstraps, shoulders, and rump then wrap them in plastic. Then I flip the deer over and repeat on the other side. I never need to gut the deer. I can then cut the head off, if I want. I don't eat organ meat/offal so I don't gut.

Doing it this way takes far less time than dragging the dear home or even to a trail where an ATV awaits (which I don't use). Even using a game cart isn't good here, so I always hike out. Anyway, this is much easier for me in terms of time, manual power, and there's no need to smell innards since I don't even see them in the first place.

>smell

Smells like blood and "animal". If you gut shot it or puncture a gut while dressing it out then it is gagging horrific.

>feel

Frustratingly slippery. Getting a solid grip on the hide can be a problem sometimes. There's actually a tool to help grip the hide and pull, for people who hang and strip the hide down. I've no clue what that is called, but I don't use one. A properly sharp knife and gentle pull is all you need when the kill is fresh and not stiff.
>>
I also need more info on this topic...

If one chooses to gut it etc, how brutal is it? I have filleted, gutted and boned countless fish in my life, large sharks too, stingrays etc. I'm fine with these but feel a furry creature might be a bit different... Either way, I'm sure I will get over it.

Thanks.
>>
>>1057397
Aquatic life like fish and such smell nothing like mammals. You'll have an instant gag reflex if you accidentally puncture a gut and get a whiff of the odor. It is just an evolutionary response really. If you do gut shoot or puncture the gut, do your best to keep the mess off the meat. Any meat with that shit on it shouldn't be eaten. Trim it off. The same goes for bruised/bloody meat that is turning a dark color. Trim it off.

If you gut puncture while field dressing, fully clean your knife before continuing. You should have two kits. 1 for first aid in case you cut yourself and 1 for cleaning your knife/tools. If you cut yourself, stop everything and deal with it. Only start back up when you are bandaged up properly. Once you are done, change the bandage again to make sure it doesn't have stuff on it. For the knife/tools, you will need something to sterilize it. You'll need soap, water (soapy spray bottle is good for this) then alcohol or even bleach. You can use a lighter to heat it, but don't ruin the temper of the knife edge by getting it visibly hot (glowing.)
>>
>>1057334
No. Bloodbourne diseases (north of Virginia / Oregon, anyway) cannot survive in the acidity of your stomach. Unless you have a bunch of cuts on your lip, oesophagus, fingers, etc., you cannot contract the same diseases.

Eat the still-beating heart.
>>
>>1057228
go watch into the wild and reconsider winging your butchery
>>
Any techniques to avoid contaminating the meat with brain/spinal matter, in case of chronic wasting disease? I don't want my brain turned to swiss cheese by prions.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/wisconsin/2017/07/07/can-chronic-wasting-disease-jump-humans-concerns-keep-rising/453371001/
>>
>>1057856
>Any techniques to avoid contaminating the meat with brain/spinal matter

- Don't open the skull cavity
- Cut around the spine, not into it.
- Ignore "news" about diseases, viruses, ailments and anything related to them.
>>
>>1057228
don't puncture the stomach.
>>
>>1057866
But if you do, just be aware that it will smell like a balloon of warmed up fermented old people farts
>>
>>1057862
Good advice, but I've also read articles about deer with CWD urinating or defecating on the ground, and prions in that waste are taken up by plants. That implies that more than the brain and spine are potentially dangerous. Although at this point it doesn't seem there's a strong link between CWD and CJD so maybe it's not that big a deal.

But, infectious prions can stay undetected in a person's body for years before making their presence known, so it's hard to say.
>>
File: wat.gif (324KB, 400x378px) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
324KB, 400x378px
>>1057802
Yes, this sounds like something to test out.
>>
>>1057228
>be me 14 years old second time deer hunting
>nort woods wisconsin cold as fuck
>squirrels obnixious as fuck, about to dial 555-COME-ON-NOW
>manage to pass out for an hour or so, wake up to crunch, crunch, crunch
>8 point buckarooney steps through a thicket, beautiful spread even if it aint a trophy
>14 just want to shoot something and cum in my sleep.
>aim, POW
Hit it right behind the shoulder blades with a 12 gauge sabot knocked it dead.
>try to call dad real quiet like on walkie talkie
>hear people footsteps
He was already on the move to me after he had heard the gunshot.
Grabs my knife out the fanny pack hands it to me. Instructs how to clean it as i go.
To this day its the only time he said hes proud of me, I remember it very vividly.

ANYWHO, cleaning a durr is easy. But you must be both firm and gentle with the innards. Use some caution with your blade to not go too deep. make sure you cut deep enough around the groin and anus so things come out easy and you dont soil the innards. if you manage to get a bit of pee on the inside of the carcass its not a huge deal just try to minimize it asap. Flush things with the hose anyways when you get home to make sure you carcass is as clean as you can get it. Set to skinning and choppin them leggs with a sawzall like bonesaw mcgraw. I always hated dismembering durr but thats the way it goes when you process them.
DO'NT FORGET TO EXPRESS YOUR GRATEFULLNESS THE DEAD DEER OR THE SKINWALKERS WILL GET YOU NEXT TIME!
>>
>>1058142
Sounds like a good time. Wish I'd had a father around who might've taught me things like hunting.
>>
>>1057385
Total novice here, so this may be a dumb question. Are the parts you named the only worthwhile meat? What do you do about the legs?
>>
Get a pulley and rope and hang it at home, no use dressing it in the field. Only thing you do in the field is gut it and section it if you have a fuck ton of walking to do.
And please for the love of god, just get yourself a $10 boning knife and a $10 used steel. Its real fucking cringey when I take people hunting and they try to section shit with their bear grylls pocket knife.
>>
>>1060466
Get as much shit as you can, anything you dont use can be given to the dogs. If its a long walk back then take more then you think you should, you can always just take the legs and backsteaks halfway through if its too much to handle.
>>
>>1058142
>I always hated dismembering

That's the best part.

Nothing more satisfying than taking an amimal apart at the joints with a knife.
>>
>>1060475
You dont know satisfying until you get a butchers saw.
>>
>>1060466
Shoulder and rump are the meat and "legs". Everything lower on the leg is just bone, skin, and sinew. The rest of the meat like ribs and neck really are not worth it. Especially, the ribs.
>>
>>1060481
Depends, if its normally within 5km and I have the daylight then I'll pack out the whole deer. Call me wierd, but the ribs are more valuable to me then the rump, I just use that shit for stews. Im not much of a steak guy.
>>
>>1060485
I only use the tenderlion/backstrap for steaks. Everything else gets pressure canned into stew. I'm a farmer so in addition to the 10 deer I can take legally each year (using various weapons when in season), I can take another 10 for farm defence purposes. Thus, I can get all the steak I want that's ultra tender. Though, only 1 season did I actually kill 20 deer. Holy shit, that was a lot of work.
>>
>>1060504
The rules in yankland always confuse me, I always thought you guys had deer for fucking days. Anyways, most I'll go through in a year is around 5 good sized fallow, and the occasional trophy red during the roar.
Anways, what ya farming. Im keen to have a chat if its dairy or drystock.
>>
>>1057872
Thanks I was assuming it smelt like this... or straight up vomit.
>>
>>1060608
Farts and yard trimmings.
>>
>>1058214
Me too, I had to learn everything the hard way. At least my mom bought me a .410.
>>
>>1057228

This guy's videos are great, here is a deer one:

https://youtu.be/dgl260zjHls

And a pig one for more education and general interest:

https://youtu.be/5Kutf5BEW4k

The rest of his videos (of his hunts and stuff) are great to. I don't know why he doesn't have more views honestly, some of the best and most respectful hunting videos out there.
>>
>>1061125
Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>1060507
Laws vary between states. In most places you have seasonal hunting for deer, except for farmers who have a permit for taking nuisance animals. I only farm poultry and veggies now. See, >>1055900
>>
>>1061385
Scott Rea, hes about 3 days away from a heart attack so I suggest you subscribe sooner rather then later.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.