[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scotland

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: scotland.jpg (11KB, 270x186px) Image search: [Google]
scotland.jpg
11KB, 270x186px
there was an interesting UK thread recently >>>1040126 and it seems that scotland has the same rules on camping as scandinavia (i.e. you can pitch a tent more or less whereever you want to).

I'm going to be in London and the souroundings for a while in September (work…) and I have some holiday left over, so I figure while I'm on that weird Island, I might as well spent some time out of office there.

Is it worth it to take my tent with me, grab a rental and drive to scotland and just walk whereever? Just having had a quick look around, it seems like there are a lot of marked walks and paths, so (assuming no fog) navigation is not a big issue. Also, no dangerous animals. Can I simply drive somewhere, buy a map and start walking and pitch my tent wherever I like?

What kind of weather do I have to expect in september?

And any reccomended areas the scot /out/ists would reccomend when I'm interested in climbing/mountaineering (might have a belay slave with me), the sea (might be a bit cold for extended swimming) and pic related?
>>
>>1055608
>Just having had a quick look around, it seems like there are a lot of marked walks and paths, so (assuming no fog) navigation is not a big issue. Also, no dangerous animals. Can I simply drive somewhere, buy a map and start walking and pitch my tent wherever I like?
And of course this is a bit of an oversimplification, or rather, it sounds a bit like McCandless, so what I'm trying to ask/say, is:
>Can someone with average central european /out/ skills and average gear spend a few days wandering scotland without too much preparation?
>>
>>1055609
Yes. You can't camp too near any infrastructure though.

The only thing to consider is that it can be insanely windy in Scotland so make sure your tent is up to that.
>>
File: tent.jpg (440KB, 1560x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tent.jpg
440KB, 1560x1200px
>>1055621
>make sure your tent is up to that.
define "insane"
This thing has so far survived an extended trip through the norwegian highlands, and according to the manufacturer it has a high-winds optimised design, but it certainly is not a gale proof 5 season monster.
>>
>>1055625
Should be fine then anon. By winds, places like the Cairngorms are mostly tundra and don't provide a lot of protection from the elements. We're talking 70-100mph but I read a record of almost 200mph once (dunno though).

Friend of mine visited from Scandanavia and said he thought Scotland would be tamer but found himself hiding behind a rock for hours because he was caught up in high winds.

September is comfy peak time by the way, the nights are still long enough to get in a good day hike and the summer has passed by so you won't get raped by midges.

Either go to the Cairngorms or the west isles. Walkhighlands website has plenty of guides varying from novice to hiker
>>
>>1055652
>Friend of mine visited from Scandanavia and said he thought Scotland would be tamer but found himself hiding behind a rock for hours because he was caught up in high winds.
Sounds like a fun night.
But I guess Scotland is mostly populated enough that you can suck it up for a night and simply give up the next day and have an uncomfortable hike back into civilazation.
>>
File: IMG_20160823_133416962.jpg (507KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160823_133416962.jpg
507KB, 2592x1456px
>>1055652
During summer time 40 to 50mph is the max to be expected though in winter 100mph is pretty normal.

>>1056386
>But I guess Scotland is mostly populated enough that you can suck it up for a night and simply give up the next day and have an uncomfortable hike back into civilazation.

Pretty much but if on the open moor without any point of reference it is easy to get lost, I thought walking in circles was just a saying until it happened to me. This is to say nothing of spooks and specteres which are roumered to be out there.
>>
>>1056643
>Pretty much but if on the open moor without any point of reference it is easy to get lost, I thought walking in circles was just a saying until it happened to me.
I guess a compass seems like a good idea then.
Personally, I'd prefer the seaside and the mountains.
>>
>>1055608
If you are doing a whistle stop tour you will be limited to just marked paths and the gentrified out areas. To get to the properly out locations you’d have to stay in an area for a while to get the feel of it or find a local to talk to.

Another thing which disturbs visitors is that they sometimes never meet any Scottish people, most of the Scottish countryside has been colonised by Anglo retirees.
>>
>>1057286
>If you are doing a whistle stop tour you will be limited to just marked paths and the gentrified out areas
What's a whistle stop tour?
And, being used to Austria and Germany, I'm probably fine with gentrified areas (though I'm certainly not opposed to "real" wilderness). On most of my home paths you meet some folks every 10 to 45 minutes…
>>
>>1057322
Whistle stop tour is a saying refering to a trip were you go to a place, stay for a little while to look around before moving on to do the same somewhere else.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.