[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the chances I have naegleria fowleri?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

So I was biking along a trail when I got a flat 10 miles away. Started walking back to my car and got really thirsty. I drank some creek water but the way I drank it, my nose was slightly submerged for a few seconds. Just the tip, where you'd stick your finger.

6 hours later I start getting a headache I wrote off to dehydration. 24 hours later I still have a headache and slight nausea.

How fucked am I? I'm in Ohio and we've never had a case of this, but apparently Indiana has.
>>
>>1054656
anon why would you do this

this is so stupid I can't believe it
>>
you're probably just sick from shitty unfiltered water tho I wouldn't worry too too much about brain eating amoebas specifically
>>
File: 1495500800394.jpg (2MB, 1546x2909px) Image search: [Google]
1495500800394.jpg
2MB, 1546x2909px
>>1054663
The water was mostly clear and moving, and it was convenient. But it's like a 1 in a billion chance right? Its way more likely to be dehydration right?
>>
>>1054665
I hope so, I've had Giardia once before and it wasn't all that bad. If it is that amoeba at least I'll make the news
>>
>>1054656
The chance is probably very little but mention it to a doctor when you go to the ER like you should have done instead of posting here you fucking retard.
>>
>>1054666
>the water was mostly clear and moving

this means literally nothing, you never know whats upstream of you
>>
>>1054666
>The water was mostly clear and moving
And it was also ohio creek water you fucking retard. Hope you die, you deserve it.
>>
>>1054683
>pay 100s of dollars for an ER visit so I can be told it's nothing and given general antibiotics by some fucker with a 2 million dollar house

I'd rather let my brain get eaten
>>
>>1054666
Or, an ordinary but still unpleasant sinus infection. See a doctor.

Also, your brain-eating amoebae prefer water that's 90 degrees Fahrenheit. If the water was cold, your headache is most probably something else. In fact, if you'd be the first confirmed case in the state, it's probably something else.

But there are other shitty things out could be. It might even be leaches.
>>
>>1054715
I make $14 an hour bud
>>
>>1054742
What's your point? I'm just saying a trip to the ER is expensive for something that could go away in a couple days.
>>
>>1054715
>pay 100s of dollars for an ER visit
Yet the US has the best health system in the word.
>>
>>1054760
Well if it is he amoeba there's a 100% chance you will die so why bother going to hospital lol.
>>
>>1054715
>>pay 100s of dollars for an ER visit
Try over $1000
And that's without an ambulance ride
>>
>>1054683
This. Also bring a fucking spare tube and a pump next time, dumbass.
>>
>>1054656
Euro anon here. No experience from US /out but if you have these micro organisms there why not carry some form of water purification??

Just boil it

Or extra a w
>>
>>1054786
Thats a really good point. And somewhat comforting. Thanks anon.
>>
>>1054803
Or just practice minimal preparedness for your outing (in this case pump, spare tube, water bottle) so you don't get into a stupid situation like that.
>>
>>1054792
yeah about 2400
my mum had a cyst a few months back. that was just the testing and shit.
also had an 800 ambulance ride, not including in that above total
>>
>>1054825
If numbing medication was otc, I could have taken care of that cyst for $10
>>
>>1054825
Who the fuck takes an ambulance for a cyst?
>>
>>1054765
I think only a select few people say that, even in the U.S.
>>
>>1054656
submerssion in water is a requisite for getting naegleria it is also lethal if not treated in 48 hours be aware of acanthamoeba too
>>
can you choke to death on oatmeal cookies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyL7TG6SzDU

anyway, go to the doc, why not.
>>
Youre probably fine, it wasn't tepid stagnant pond water... you also briefly dipped your nose, the water wasn't forced up to the mucus membrane by diving in or anything

On the off-chance it is amoeba then nothing can be done
>>
More likely to be leptospyrosis
>>
Leptospyrosis is highly endemic in northwest ohio and thrives in riverbanks, symptoms include primarily headaches, muscle pain and fever
>>
>>1054786
rofl. true tho
>>1054666
they can be found in moving waters and at 25C temperature already active in the infectious phase. they don't need especially hot water, they just love it more.
>>
>>1054665
>I wouldn't worry

Found the amoeba.
>>
>>1054656
See a doctor.
>>
>>1054715
>I'd rather let my brain get eaten

That's fine, seems there's not much to eat anyway.
>>
File: hermes.jpg (74KB, 500x393px) Image search: [Google]
hermes.jpg
74KB, 500x393px
pic related is real
>>
>>1054825
I took an ambulane for a dislocated shoulder before (I lived alone). I figured I'd call 911 because they could pop it in place or give me some pain meds. Nothing. It was just a taxi (painful) ride to the hopsital. $800 before insurance. $80 after insurance, which still sucked. I should have gotten an Uber for $12
>>
>>1056884
>>1056884
remember if its viral, they won't do/be able to get it tested for cheap, most of their tests will be for bacteria/cultures, only STD's and certain viral diseases have cheapish tests they can run

go back to the place you drank that water from, take a sample, and take it to be tested for water quality, trying to filter your filthy blood out for all the other parasites that occur in humans will take FOREVER, weeks-months to identify/prove.
>>
i'm afraid your a gonner, the best thing is to commit supaku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XRY3LW7SoY
>>
File: 79.jpg (32KB, 539x899px) Image search: [Google]
79.jpg
32KB, 539x899px
>>1054765
Yeah only faggots pay for services rendered by professionals.
>>
>>1057453
>white guy in the main protagonist in a movie that takes place in asia with asian actors in every other role
This is the cringiest shit
If you can't stand having a asian actor be the main role in a movie why are you even watching such a film
>>
>>1057410
what?
>>
>>1054656
it's my understanding most victims have water forced up their nose from large amounts of splashing, jet skiing etc.
>>
So what happened to OP, is he okay? And how could we tell if the amoeba had taken over his brain, and now it's the one typing?
>>
>>1058219
they get in through the nose, so protect nose. knowing is half the battle.
>>
>>1058220
they can get in through your dickhole too.
>>
>>1056803
lol

Cases of fowleri infections are very rare but I would definitely get myself checked out if the headache gets worse. In my Bio 3 class I did a presentation on amoebas a year ago and N. fowleri was one that got me to always think twice before getting into any body of water now.
>>
>>1057410
Amoebas aren't viruses, you fucking mongoloid.
>>
Hey dudes I have a problem that requires a trip to the doctor
>go to the doctor
No fuck you

I hope you do have it
>>
>>1054656
>I'm in Ohio and we've never had a case of this, but apparently Indiana has.

How deep was the water? I've heard this thing tends to stay on the bed of a pond or lake. Usually needs something to stir it up from the bottom and it's a stickler for water temperature.

Worth a check-up, it's not exactly terminal. There's a good chance that many people get this thing and survive just fine without medical attention, skewing mortality numbers. However, most things involving brain degradation lead to some of the most painful deaths you can imagine. If it is and you don't get treated, you'll be in the worse pain of your life right up until the moment you die.
>>
just curious, can other animals get this?
>>
>>1058338
That's not how it works
>>
File: IMG_5122.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5122.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1054964
Thank Jebus for Obamacare!

Seriously tho, fuck that. Made my deductibles and premiums go up. But at least I will always get treatment first because good docs don't want to deal with people on gov't healthcare

>>1054656
It's like skinwalkers. Probably, but I wouldn't worry about it since you will be dead anyway and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>1060569
United can suck my dick
>>
>>1054765
You are assuming the care given is affected by the price. I'd say we definitely have the best medicine in the world. But the way we have to pay for it blows.
>>
>>1060569
Respect the name of Jesus, man.
>>
>>1060574
I had Blue Cross for a few years but then when Osamacare started, they switched everything.

It's all so fucked tho. I'm a 27 year old guy who is rarely at the doc or hospital and I think when I did my taxes last year it was something near $6000 for insurance. Dental and vision is dirt cheap, but health care is so fucked up and even worse because of all that bullshit.
>>
>>1054825
800 for an ambulance ride? That was a fucking steal.
>>
>>1054666
texasanon here.

doubt you have the brain bug. that shit hits hard and fast. you probably swallowed some racoon poop bug from the water that is fucking with you.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.