[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

$79 Out, can I do better than this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 21

File: cocobolololololololol.jpg (158KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
cocobolololololololol.jpg
158KB, 800x530px
Genuinely curious if anyone has experience with this knife or if there is a better bushcraft knife for near/less than stated price point. *a sheath/handle thats not total bs... "*not plastic"
>>
Mora Bushcraft will be 1/2 of that and do pretty much everything you want for bushcraft (sans baton chop suey, but don't be one of those fags).
>>
>>1054577
I have a condor basic bushcraft that I dig so far, I re-profiled the edge and sanded off the powder coating on it but you don't really have to do either of those things. I thinks it's like 50 USD. sheaths a solid leather affair. nothing fancy but it does the job and looks nice.
>>
>>1054657
Plastic handle and sheath......... thanks anon.....

>>1054661
cool. thanks for the info!
>>
>>1054702
What are you talking about, plastics a fucking wonder material. You can fucking wash it when it gets covered in blood.
>>
>>1054705

true. not trying to argue the merits of plastic. I just don't fucking like it.
>>
>>1054710
>leather
>swells and falls apart once it is waterlogged
>>
I bet you already have a knife so just use that one.
>>
>>1054727
Someone says he doesn't like cucumbers, don't start defending cucumbers. Give the man a carrot and move on. Nobody here needs plastic explained.
>>
>>1054702

The Mora Bushcraft handle is the best I've ever felt. It's amazing. Seriously, I've never felt a better handle.

The belt sheathe is decent enough; you get good locking retention when you snap the knife in.

The Buck Selkirk is cheaper than 80 and decent if you must have something other than plastic. It comes with fire steel too, which is a plus. Nylon sheathe. USA made.
>>
File: IMG_5285.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5285.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>1054834
The Selkirk has a low quality tang, so the hammering and batoning reccomended by Buck is kind of ill-advised. Of course Buck offers unlimited warranty for their knives, but good luck with the warranty if you dont live in the USA/ordered the knife online
>>
>>1054846
>t. Anon that wanted the Selkirk but decided for a handmade cheap pakistani spring steel batoning knife and is quite satisfied with price/quality ratio
>>
>>1054705
>>1054727
Learn how to take care of your tools, kid.
>>
File: Batonny Chop Chop Babby.jpg (3MB, 3132x2744px) Image search: [Google]
Batonny Chop Chop Babby.jpg
3MB, 3132x2744px
>mentions batonny chop chop
>>
>>1054869
Actual outist here, all these could have been avoided if they didnt baton on the end grain, instead doing it on the corner.
>>
I like a lot that Cudeman. Good blade shape and handle, only weakness is the hole in the blade is a stress-point.

Won't hurt in normal use, but with harsh batoning on hard or knotted wood it can be damaged, but so can every knife.
On this one, you know already where the damage will occur if you are abusive.

If you are of Spanish, try Nieto, Muela, Joker, etc.
They have similar knives with leather sheaths too.

My opinion?
If you like the Cudeman, get the Cudeman.

>>1054661
Condor are too thick.
Sheaths are great though.
>>
>>1054577
DESU, leather can cause you a lot of trouble. Think about what would happen if it got wet. Don't be so quick to write plastic off.
>>
>>1054890
>Condor are too thick.

yeah that's definitely one of my main gripes with it. makes it good for batoning tho. I always carry a smaller thinner knife as well anyways.
>>
>>1054727

FYI if you oil your leathers they'll be supple and waterproof and will last much longer.

>>1054710

Not liking plastic is perfectly valid, it's going to be your knife, nobody else has to like it.

>>1054577

I'd buy a knife more for the steel/cutting geometry but hey looking nice is definite plus. How do you feel about G10 handles and D2 steel? I love D2 and if I didn't already have a pretty sweet knife I'd be very tempted to get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/GCS-Handmade-Micarta-Bushcraft-Knives/dp/B01M25EWTJ/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M25EWTJ&pd_rd_r=6XMSFJFDKYG2CRE1Y2KV&pd_rd_w=NaIjI&pd_rd_wg=48ZUD&psc=1&refRID=6XMSFJFDKYG2CRE1Y2KV
>>
>>1054890
>weakness is the hole in the blade is a stress-point.

Yeah that's def. the part of the design I don't care for. They could have used the handle for spear holes. I agree that def create a weak point. I watched some guy baton with it so nice to know its possible but makes you wonder his well that was thought out.

Supposed lifetime guarantee but shipping to Spain from us, dunno.
>>
>>1054940

>I'd buy a knife more for the steel/cutting geometry but hey looking nice is definite plus. How do you feel about G10 handles and D2 steel?

That knife looks great also. Are they made somewhere non-china-ish? Thats a really good price.
>>
>>1054915
>Don't be so quick to write off plastic.

I guess I should have clarified by saying "basic" plastic. I think I triggered a bit with that statement. I'm not opposed to high test/ treated varieties of plastic, if its still considered plastic once glass or other things added for hardening, just dont want to carry around a cheap plastic knife. cheap plastic as in quality, not price.
>>
>>1054960
Get your head out of your ass, I was a freezing worker for 4 years, not once have I had a pvc sheath or plastic handle on a $10 victorinox fail on me.
Plastic is durable as all fuck nowadays, you will never use a knife to the point where the handles brake, unless its rubber coated or some shit.
>>
>>1054946

They're listed as made in the UK but the YouTuber WeAllJuggleKnives seems to think they may in part be made in Pakistan but because of the quality of the steel and the price he's OK with that.

Another solid choice would be the RealSteel D2 bushcraft knife. The sheath isn't leather but think of it as a D2 Mora.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQmsAEPHYg
>>
>>1054974

Thanks anon. That one looks good also! Can I ask what do you carry to sharpen?
>>
File: 20170708_100716[1].jpg (360KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_100716[1].jpg
360KB, 2048x1152px
>>1054983

If I need to sharpen at home I use the Gatco diamond hone jig, when i'm out I carry my DMT fine/ultra fine diamond hone, there really is nothing better for D2. Most of the time though D2 knives almost never need resharpening. If they need a touch-up a few strops on the leather with some green compound gets them hair popping sharp again, or if i'm out just the leather belt or a piece of cardboard will do to strop on. Stropping will keep your knives sharp. Sharpening is for when you mess up the edge.

My D2 Knives of Alaska Bush Camp knife. Wicked sharp, does food prep skinning and camp tasks really well. I modded mine for a flatter grind and it carves like a dream. For comparison it's $89 on Amazon , but it's American made with a lifetime warranty, though I probably voided mine changing the grind and adding the jimping. I'm not worried about it. I've blasted it through seasoned mesquite with no problems. I leave that to the Brown bear cleaver now, but it can do it.
>>
File: IMAG0279.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0279.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>1055028

A Pretty cheap way to go is using a DMT mini sharp in the Fine (red) it by itself will get a knife razor sharp, you can by using even lighter strokes get the effect of an Ultra Fine, and then just strop. I carry my mini with me ALL THE TIME, with my EDC pocket knife and leatherman wave, Those three things are with me all the all the time unless I have to fly, then they go in the checked baggage with the other knives. A mini sharp will run you less than $10 bucks at the local hardware store and you can use it wet or dry and you just wipe it off to clean it, easy. I've sharpened everything from scissors to swords with it, it's super handy to have.
>>
>>1054834
Buck Selkirk is chink made garbage, the Buck Compadre camp knife is the same price, made in the USA and is 5160 spring steel.
>>
File: bushlore_spines.jpg (237KB, 2940x621px) Image search: [Google]
bushlore_spines.jpg
237KB, 2940x621px
>>1054890
>>1054917
The new version of the bushlore was slimmed down alot. Are you guys rocking the old model? I feel like the new one is just about the perfect thickness, it is definitely one of my go to blades. The 1075 is a little softer, but it gets shaving sharp with just a few passes on a the ceramic hone.
>>
>>1055028

>>1055102

Thanks guys. I think I'm all set. Really appreciate all the help!
>>
>>1055129
That changes everything. It might actually be a decent knife now.
>>
>>1054983
Not him, but I carry a Fine Carborundum and a Hard Arkansas pocket stones.

For D2, Diamond sharpeners make the job a lot easier.

You can accomplish the same thing with a Fallkniven DC4 or a dozen other sharpening tools.
It used to be an EzeLap 250/600 butterfly type, but I never got used to the feedback of Diamond stones.
>>
>>1054748
you're a wise anon
>>
File: 1486680040374.jpg (369KB, 979x717px) Image search: [Google]
1486680040374.jpg
369KB, 979x717px
>>1054577
>bushcraft knife
They will all break when you baton with them, so you might as well stick to the $10 Walmart specials.
>>
>>1054846
>hammering and batoning

Don't do that with any knife unless you absolutely have to.
>>
>>1054960
I think I can see what you're getting at now. It's easy to associate plastic with cheapness and the American throw-away culture to an unfair extent. I can see how you might conclude that the thinnish plastic of a Mora's sheath is too flimsy. Just be careful of low quality in other materials. Just because it's leather didn't mean it's good leather, you know?
>>
>>1055311

Wedges FTW.

D2 is tits though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUYXyJQpNU
>>
>>1055311
>>1055344

Dubs of truth.
>>
File: 20170708_202019[1].jpg (553KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170708_202019[1].jpg
553KB, 2048x1152px
>>1055305

D2 fanboi here, I'm sure if I try hard enough I could break it, but the shit's pretty robust man.

As for Walmart specials, the coleman camp knife or the winchester camp knife are both sturdy for the money, in both cases the sheaths are nylon with a plastic insert, the nylon is shit, you have to hit the edges with a lighter asap or it'll fray. The coleman is lighter but the proud tang and over aggressive jimping can be annoying. The winchester is HEAVY.

They both have a hollow grind with a secondary bevel and cut decently and can maintain a working toothy edge, they will not hold a razor edge very long but it's not hard to get them there by stropping. Use and strop and you'll be fine.

Expendable loaner knives that will still get the job done. For less than $20 they'll do. I had both, the coleman got loaned and never returned...but that cheap I really don't care. I've gotten good use out of it and learned how to use a knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CskWykIQDkE
>>
File: 134834_xl.jpg (69KB, 920x920px) Image search: [Google]
134834_xl.jpg
69KB, 920x920px
$15
>>
>>1055515
Solid.
>>
>>1054661
This
When you're looking for functionality, a good price and old aesthetics Condor is the best adress.

Else, a Puuko of some sort could be something you like.
>>
File: stfu.jpg (10KB, 250x217px) Image search: [Google]
stfu.jpg
10KB, 250x217px
>>1054846
>hammering and batoning
oh boy here we go
>>
File: IMG_5250.jpg (80KB, 640x562px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5250.jpg
80KB, 640x562px
>>1055311
>>1055678
You dumbasses, at least five websites and almost all Ebay descripions of the knife describe the butt as 'perfect for batonning and hammering'. I'm not event making this crap up, but as soon as you read 'battoning' a shitstorm starts brewin'.
>>
>>1055311
There's no reasonable situation in which you have to baton.
>>1055716
They're only using it as a marketing plot because suburban ninjas keep doing it, thinking that it's a cool looking, viable method.
Idiots are a viable market, but I wouldn't trust any sort of product aimed at them.
>>
>>1055779
>There's no reasonable situation in which you have to baton.
Autism was a mistake.
>>
>>1055716
This post is how all us oldfags know you are not only a newfag, but a newfag at outdoormenship. You should probably go be a babby bushkekker somewhere else.
>>
>>1055794
I'm not a newfag, I've been here all summer.
>>
If you do decide to get the MT-5, could you give us your opinion of it once you try it out?
>>
>>1055129
I have the basic bushcraft model, thickness appears to be a touch more than the new bushlore pictured there
>>
File: camillus bushcrafter.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
camillus bushcrafter.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
Anyone have one of these? I kind of want to pick one up, but they are right around 70bucks...probably gonna wait til they go on sale somewhere.
>>
Looking around a bit, heres a unique option: The LT Wright Bushcrafter HC is right at $75 without sheath, $105 with JRE leather sheath, and there was a limited edition 3" Bushbaby that some websites still have in stock with a similar JRE sheath for $85. Scandi grind, 4", micarta scales. I've seen their similar $210 bushcraft knives in person (local shop carries 'em sometimes) but never the budget ones. I kinda dig the patina on these.
>>
>>1056073
Not that anon but I'm literally *this* close to ordering it. Seriously turned on by the Bohler N695 steel and full tang
>>
How about just a simple Old Hickory Butcher?

You can mod the handle and blade to a shape that suits you rather easily.
Or use it as it comes.
>>
>>1057971

>Old Hickory Butcher Knife

•1095 High carbon steel
•Full tang
•Inexpensive
•Made in the USA

FUCK YEAH.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=old+hickory+knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXmW0mwzp6c
>>
>>1058146
>made in the USA

Thats not good enough of a reason for anyone outside USA to buy that knife. Cudeman is made in Spain from German stainless steel and is maybe $15 more expensive than the old hickory, which makes it great bang for buck.
>>
File: IMG_7649.jpg (99KB, 640x1055px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7649.jpg
99KB, 640x1055px
>>1058216
Old Hickory is less than $10.*
12" USPS International Flat Rate Envelope is $12.99*

*Prices may not be accurate.

Amazon.es has the Hop/Cabbage knives for €15 + 9 shipping to Spain.

It's actually sold by Amazon.de (shipping to Germany is free)
But Amazon.de doesn't ship to Spain.

Hop/Canbage are same stock as regular Ol Hickry, but flat instead of saber. ground.

The paring knife also makes a good food prep/wood carving blade if you put on a larger handle.

I convex mine from the bevel down. Cuts better than an Opinel.
>>
>>1058146
Grind?

Looks good but made in USA is rather irrelevant imo.
>>
>>1058261
The regular ones are saber ground - like the Ka-Bar, etc.
Thin stock like a Mora, but rigid enough not to bend.

You can sharpen just the edge, or the whole bevel. They respond well to a convex grind.

The Hop/Cabbage series are completely flat ground if thats what you prefer.
>>
File: Buy my shit yo!.jpg (225KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Buy my shit yo!.jpg
225KB, 1280x960px
>>1058261

If there's a choice between two products and the quality is near the same I'll always choose American made, but being elsewhere you're totally free to buy other stuff, even if it's gay.
>>
>>1054748
I like this, I'm stealing this
>>
>>1058335
>be European
>have option to either order cheap knife with high shipping cost from the USA + pay VAT (25% of package + shipping worth)
>lets say its $50 (knife, shipping and leather sheathe because I'm not a savage) + 25% = about $65
>$65 for a $15 knife if bought in the USA
OR
>be European
>decide to buy a $75 knife and pay $4 shipping and absolutely no taxes because shipping in EU

I'm gonna dish out for the Cudeman.
>>
>>1054748
>>1055272
>>1058342
The important thing to remember is that both are phallic.
>>
>>1058411
Do they really make you pay VAT on low value imports? (€100 or less)
>>
i have a nice Winchester box set. cost about half that.
>>
>>1058426
Yep. Anything above 45€ is subject to EU customs and maybe if they're having a bad day, a single-digit customs percentage of your own country. Which amounts to almost a third of the price, which kinda makes it pointless. Not only because EU has strict customs laws but also because the faggots in Brussels and the faggots in Washington decided that <every> package coming in from the USA is subject to customs. Ordered a lot of shit from China/Russia and no customs.
>>
>>1058449
>cost about half that
Prolly also about half quality
>>
>>1054869

Not only were they batoning, there's branches visible in several pictures.

If you've ever chopped wood, you know that branched wood is harder to cut, even with an axe.
>>
>>1058455
Some of the knives clearly broke because of manufacturing defects.
>>
>>1058490
>buck, ontario rat, kabar esee
Clearly a lot of made in 'wooohooo Murrica!' quality knives in the pic as well. Of course you shouldnt baton with any knife, but nevertheless.
>>
File: cxccc.jpg (5KB, 295x152px) Image search: [Google]
cxccc.jpg
5KB, 295x152px
Newbie here.
Considering that I am not able to afford a good quality knife, right now, Is this model any good?

I already have a small magnum boker, that works well in small task.
>>
>>1058557
It's pretty good. For that price, I'd recommend a Mora for general /out/ stuff, though.
>>
>>1058557
It's a piece of sharpened spring steel whose defining feature is toughness.

It does the job, but not really an /out/ knife. I hate the Tanto tip.

The Bushman is a better knife for the same price.

For $20 more you can get the SRK. It's worth the upgrade.
>>
>>1058557
You might get more use out of some thing with a drop point, clip point or even a spear point that have a curved tip for better slicing, but if stabbing zombies through the temple is your thing, then sure a tanto will do nicely.
>>
>>1058576
I thought it could be useful in debarking branches and chunks of wood
>>
>>1058599
Sounds like you need a hatchet.
>>
>>1058557
How much can you spend right now on a knife? If you give a price, I guarantee that people here will be able to recommend something that is quality. There are quality blades in all price ranges.
>>
I know fixed blade knives seem to be the popular choice for going /out/ but this is my edc, Benchmade 51, D2 blade with G10 handles. I'm spending money on other camping gear right now and wonder how well it'll fare for now. When I'm using it for actual knife purposes I usually just do a simple opening flip to get it ready. I save the fun twirling for occupying bored time and wouldn't try anything crazy new so I don't cut my hands up when /out/. Never really learned to sharpen knives right, looking into it now so I can bring it back to the edge it had when I got it years ago where a flipping mistake would draw blood. It's still functionally sharp and I use it daily, just needs to be brought back before I use it for srs stuff.
>>
Figure I'll ask here since.

What's the deal with "pine cone" scales? Are they just colorful plastic, or is there something more to them?
>>
>>1059420
isn't that made with epoxy?
>>
>>1059379
Unless the blade edge is chipped or damaged in other ways or you want to change the angle, all you really need to do is hit it with a hone to bring it back. I am no expert by any means, but when I first started sharpening I was always doing way more work than I needed to...now 98% of the time I just hit my knives with my ceramic hone and then finish them on the leather strop and they are shaving sharp again.
>>
>>1059379
Get one of those ching chong "Apex" style sharpeners for like $20.
They're the easiest way for a beginner to get a good edge on a small blade.
>>
File: IMG_20170714_221758.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170714_221758.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>1056073
>>1056419

Do it. Couldn't be happier with my decision. Decent sheath. feels lovely in the hand. Fits on a 1.5" thick leather gun belt no prob.
>>
File: IMG_20170714_221906.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170714_221906.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
Knife comes pretty sharp from the factory. I believe could be made sharper though. basic tests ran smooth like butter, Ive seen enough online that I will abuse it if/when needed without worrying.
>>
File: IMG_5360.png (670KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5360.png
670KB, 640x1136px
>>1060414
>>1060421
You're all invited to my unboxing thread when it arrives in a week or two (ordered it yesterday because paycheck was late, prolly will be shipped on monday)
>>
>>1058411
If you don't want to import Old Hickory.
Pallares Solsona make two styles of /out/ suitable "kitchen" knives from carbon steel that cost less than €15 each.
>>
>>1060490
I don't want to import <anything> from the USA as long as there's the retarded agreement between USA & EU to tax every incoming package over $45 (including shipping). If I were to order a $25 knife and pay the first class shipping $21 (as many many Ebay sellers only offer 1st class shipping) I would be liable for 25% VAT. Also, if you take in account that almost all Buck, Schrade and similar knives are made in China and sold from the USA as American made knives, it really makes no sense in investing in any American goods.
>>
>>1060157
>>>1059379
>Get one of those ching chong "Apex" style sharpeners for like $20.
>They're the easiest way for a beginner to get a good edge on a small blade.

Do you buy supplemental stones and chuck the chink ones? Really interested in one of these
>>
>>1060582
The chink ones work fine. Probably no different than the "real" ones.
>>
>>1060630
>>>1060582 (You)
>The chink ones work fine. Probably no different than the "real" ones.

Noice. Thanks anon!
>>
always buy local if feasible
>>
>>1060546
In my country you only get hit if total value is above €100.
The shipping is what hurts most of the time.

The rest, I understand what you mean because I have suffered through myself.

I bought 8x 4" paring knives, 4x 7" Butcher and 4x 8" Butcher.
They were seconds from the factory and cost around $60 total. It was years ago though.

>>1061150
Lots of choices in Spain.
>>
>>1054869
Somebody tried batoning with an Opinel?!?!
>>
>>1061226
Yep, the 'buy American' meme only works for a certain niche of patriotic people that actually care about it or dont want anything made in chinkland, which is OK by me, but perpetuating the meme and saying that anybody in EU should buy American gear, as if we dont have good enough brands here...
>>
>>1061236
Yes. The Opinel's lock design makes it the best folder to baton.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.