[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do I into surfing? I honestly have no clue where to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Dog-Wearing-Sunglasses-Surfing.jpg (210KB, 2174x1418px) Image search: [Google]
Dog-Wearing-Sunglasses-Surfing.jpg
210KB, 2174x1418px
how do I into surfing? I honestly have no clue where to start

all I know is:
>there's a beach near me that has decent waves, according to locals
>I'm supposed to pick a board based on my height/weight. not sure how to go about that
>I've also been told that the best time to go out and surf is at the asscrack of dawn, not sure why though

any help would be appreciated
>>
>>1054554
See if there's a place nearby that rents boards and gives lessons.

>I've also been told that the best time to go out and surf is at the asscrack of dawn, not sure why though
Less wind and chop to mess up the swell, so better breaks.
>>
File: IMG_0905.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0905.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1054554
Scrub it barnie
>>
>>1055413
80 series Toyota? What size boards?
>>
>>1054554
Buy a board.
Bigger boards are easier to stand up and
balance on. Recommended for beginners.

Catch waves.
Paddle paddle paddle, then pop up and stay low to balance.
Start off catching smaller waves, obviously. Dont be embarrassed to start off catching the white water if you have to, but watch your fins don't hit the sand and break.

Practice holding your breath for more confidence/less fear in the ocean.

Good luck, have fun, welcome to the sport, respect the locals

Oh yeah dawn usually has good winds which shapes the waves nicely
>>
>>1054569
>>1057314
thanks for the advice y'all

another thing I was wondering: what times during the year are best for surfing? I live in florida and it's super stormy and horrible right now (which I'm told is good) and I've also been told that fall/winter is the optimum time of year
>>
>>1054554
educate yourself on the specifics of your local environment
http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/florida_2086/map/
>>
>>1054554
I learned from some really good YouTube lessons. Highly recommended.

https://youtu.be/pBfVgF9hwH0
>>
I'm qualified to give you advice, been surfing and bodyboarding from birth, and am now in my thirties.

I HIGHLY recommend this book. It's AWESOME. I've bought copies for all my friends. https://www.amazon.com/Surfing-Illustrated-Visual-International-Marine-RMP-ebook/dp/B003O86F4A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1500361035&sr=8-6&keywords=learn+to+surf

Surfing is REALLY FUCKING HARD TO BEGIN, and if you don't know somebody who is a decent surfer, you won't pick up on the idiosyncrasies.

First, start by body surfing. Learn to catch a wave. Wear fins.

Contrary to what ALL BEGINNERS THINK, catching a wave is WAY HARDER than standing. One of the GAYEST things you can do is catch whitewater and fumble standing up ad infinitum.

Somebody said get a big board. This is good advice. Get a nice big, wide, thick board...I would head to a surf shop, tell them you don't know shit about surfing, and pray they give you good advice. Walden makes a board called the "Magic Model" great for beginners.

Find a place where nice old men surf small waves. They like to talk and make friends, and making some buddies will boost your confidence SIGNIFICANTLY.

Don't get caught up in gear. You need a board, a wetsuit (maybe, I'm in CA so only rarely just in trunks) a leash, wax. and sunscreen, maybe light board bag. Stickers, sun goggles, water hats, booties, and thick ass insulated board bags are all for kooks.

Don't worry about standing for a few months. Just learn to paddle right, how to spot waves, how to sit on and turn the board from a seated position, and how to catch a wave before it breaks WITHOUT STANDING. Surfing is not about standing, it's about catching a wave. If this means you stay on your belly the whole time, then fine. But if you try to stand up and fall off three seconds later, you're getting up WAAAAY TOOO EARLY. JUST CATCH THE FUCKING WAVE AND BELLY RIDE TO SHORE. I'm telling you, its REALLY FUN.

Patience! It's the best sport in the world.
>>
>>1054554
Get a lesson then go form there. This is one of the few things i would recommend looking at on reddit. r/surfing is actually pretty good.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.