[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cowboy camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

is it a good/bad idea?
how would one go about doing it most efficiently?
>>
>>1054422
You're going to need a horse to lug around all that shit, maybe a pack mule. If you've got that, definitely go for it, it's comfy as fuck to actually have real cookware instead of some cuckstove.
>>
>>1054426
This.
>bad idea?
I think it is a good idea to try old ways and see if one can learn anything from them.
I think that's how magnesium fire starters got rediscovered, among other things.
>>
>>>/cgl/
>>
>>1054422
Isn't cowboy camping just camping w/out tent? I do it all the time. Sleeping bag and bedroll sometimes hammock. Definitely not the most sustainable or long term way to camp but it's easy for overnights.
>>
>>1054485
Booty blasted ultralighter has entered the AO
>>
>>1054426
>4wd
But "car camping" is looked down upon.
We all know the cowboys would have used land cruisers if they had them.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1054707
I wouldn't call myself a cowboy but I spend my days mustering and chasing bulls. We have 3 land cruisers. When a job is this hard you embrace any little thing that can make your life easier.

But yeah, camping with a camp oven, sleeping in swags and drinking from a billy is awesome. But it's heavy.
>>
This past weeks I was also thinking about camping like a cowboy.

The conclusion I ended with is
>You better get a Horse, or do it with modern, lightweight items.

I know that using modern stuff kind of kills the hole point, but if an old timer cowboy lived in this year, he would use the best he can get.
>>
>>1054707
there are cowboys today that still use horses, especially in canyon country. That being said, I feel like most desert dwellers just car camp and bring along the same shit.
>>
>>1054422
Muleskinners still LARP as cowboys
They run fat, lazy, assholes and their gear into the mountains via mule
I think because the rich assholes are paying for a "rustic" experience the muleskinners are forced to cosplay cowboys
They always look miserable

And the West was won on the backs of mules, not horses
>>
>>1054935
The temptations there, I used to be a little faggit back in the day when I did dairy and dry stock. I used to wear my bush hat and oilskin, instead of a rain jacket.
>>
>>1054943
I mean, all rain jackets look fucking queer
>>
>>1054970
Yea, but at the same time caring about how you look is fucking queer. Jackets are just lighter and easier to pack, and can be bright colours.
>>
>>1054422
I'd probably car camp with a truck, or at least use an ATV, 4x4, or similar. Unless you actually have a horse or some other animal that could take the weight. Then you could use that.
>>
>>1054981
New Zealand fag here, Quad camping is pretty allright. Camping from a 2 wheeler is a fucking nightmare though, difficult as fuck to manuever and lean with a pack, dont even mention having 60 kilos of deer on aswell.
Its like trying to drive through mud with no steering and no matter how much you try you can never ballance shit so youre constantly falling off when you slow down or turn.
>>
>>1054984
>2 wheeler
As in a motorcycle? I have to ask because using one for camping strikes me as absolutely idiotic.
>>
>>1054993
I would imagine its fine if you are going fast and light, however they suck at mud so they aren't compatible with most of my /out/ destinations.

4 Wheeler,snowmobile,or foot for wherever the truck won't go.
>>
>>1054993
Yea I know, I dont own a quad though, and I do rabbit control up the beach every weekend. Its fucking awful to camp with, but at the same time it takes me to places I couodnt get overwise, and for the most of the time is a fuck ton faster and easier then walking.

I dont need a quad or a 2 wheeler, its pretty much just my beach toy.
>>
>>1054978
I gave up on synthetics entirely, I'd wear out a rain jacket a year, my oil cloth coat has lasted me almost 8. I switched to wool instead of whatever bright petroleum based shit the kids are wearing in the winter these days. Something tears, I stitch it, water gets in, I re-oil/ lanolin. Added bonus that it looks bad ass too (agree to disagree with you on that point).
>>
>>1054993
>>2 wheeler
>As in a motorcycle?

Nah, a Segway. Like I said, it's hell.
>>
>>1054707
I'd prefer a vehicle because I'd be far too sad when my horse died
>>
>>1054422
go motorcycle camping
same shit, modern day. more fun. you can still hike
>>
>>1054984
have a deer from hunting and camping seem like to seperate things that OP didnt even ask about.
>>
>>1055342
Youll know true sadness when your 100km from civilization and you hear your cv snap.
>>
>>1055417
I wouldn't be very sad about that. More angry than anything. 100 km would only be two or three days of walking unless you're a fatass or something.
>>
>>1054593

Yep. Just more evidence this board knows jack shit. Anyone who's spent a little time in the backpacking community would know that cowboy camping is camping "under the stars" without a shelter.
>>
>>1055431
You are my hero
>>
>>1055431
AFAIK
It wasn't a term in the 70s
It wasn't a term in the 80s
It wasn't a term in the 90s
And I have enjoyed sleeping without a tent during all those times, weather permitting
It sounds like the "cowboys" were using a tarp/bivy system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_bedroll
>>
>>1055221
Sure. It also weighs 5 times as much as synthetic gear.
>>
>>1054426
Could just get a dual sport motorcycle, basically a modern horse
>>
>>1055538
I don't really give a damn about weight.
>>
>>1055431
Well that would hardly be thread- worthy. Now it's a fun thread about larping as a cowboy, deal with it.
Also, this "backpacking community" is cancer, it's the source of exactly one half of the shitfits that get thrown here (the "bushcrafting community" being the source of the other)
>>
File: IMG_3108.jpg (98KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3108.jpg
98KB, 550x412px
>>1055657
You know what this board needs more of? Fly fishing and hunting, I just cant relate with these "walking for no purpose" retards on here.
>>
>>1055710
Fuck you, fly fishing elitist. There's a reason no one wants to talk about fly fishing here, that community is even more cancerous than the backpacking/ bushcrafting ones. I catch my trout on a $40 spin rod/reel combo and $2.50 dressed Aglias all day and laugh at you.
Hunting ok though. (Well not durr hunting, but that's a whole separate autistic rant)
>>
File: 1492705655845.jpg (19KB, 178x255px) Image search: [Google]
1492705655845.jpg
19KB, 178x255px
>>1055721
>mfw my fly setup cost less than $200
>I like bugs so I like fly fishing more than boring sit and wait fishing

I'm actually going fishing later today!
>>
>>1055721
No im only semi autist, I swears it. I do spinning as well, the waters near me are just an absolute cunt to spin in.
>>
>>1055710
You can always make your own thread about what you want to talk about, like the rest of us do.
But it seems you'd rather just be a faggot instead.
>>
>>1055725
I wade and move with my spin rod, I only hit each hole once or twice and then move on.
>>
>>1055726
Why is the water bad for it, big rocks or something?
>>
File: IMG_3217.jpg (182KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3217.jpg
182KB, 1280x720px
>>1055731
Your average New Zealand river. Shit washes boulders into the ocean.
>>
>>1055734
I can see how that would be a problem.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.