[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GET ME /OUT/ OF THIS SHITHOLE My mother and father never wanted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: Smiley Smile.jpg (340KB, 953x953px) Image search: [Google]
Smiley Smile.jpg
340KB, 953x953px
GET ME /OUT/ OF THIS SHITHOLE

My mother and father never wanted me to go /out/side as a kid. Never did sports, camped, hunted, etc. because THEY never approved of it. For the past year I've been very interested in /out/ and doing outdoors activities. Sadly, I'm over 18 and can't do boy scouts to jump start my /out/ lifestyle. Now, are there any boy scout like programs for adults or am I going to have to read and research all by myself? I can't seem to find one in the midwest but I'm betting there is something somewhere out there...

pic not related but it has a good /out/ album cover
>>
as an adult you can do all the camping, hunting, fishing you want. don't know of any official programs. but they got schools.

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/wilderness-certification.html?
>>
>>1053433
>Waaaa! Life is hard
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>1053486
I guess the 'get me out of this shithole' was a bit much. I'm challenging myself not getting more /cozy/
>>
File: Assault Innertube.jpg (126KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Assault Innertube.jpg
126KB, 540x960px
>>1053433
Hey OP, former basement dwelling autist here. I have over 5000 hours in Dota2 and my next 3 most played games total over 3k. 4 years ago when I was 18 I wouldnt leave my house for anything, and I never really got into sports or the outdoors as a teen. I now work as a raft guide/paddling instructor in the summer and work at a ski resort in the winter. There is hope for people like us.

1) The easiest way to get /out/ is to..... go /out/. You want to get out and do a cool hike? Go out and do a cool hike. Learn to love the nature for the nature first and then the people you meet from it second. Google best hikes/swimspots/camping spots in [your area] and make it a goal to do one from every list you find. Start with the easier/more popular hikes first and branch out from there. Same thing with camping. Go car camping somewhere cool and work your way up to backpacking if thats something you want to do.

This not only makes you more used to being out but through trial and error you'll how to pack smart, what to avoid, and good /out/ habits. It also builds up interesting experiences. No one really cares about that sick vidya play you had, more people are interested in hearing about your solo camping trips or that you hiked 14 miles on saturday.

2)Pick up an activity. Fishing, snowboarding, mountain biking, the one I picked up was WW kayaking. Try to find an intro class on something your interested in, drop a little cash, and ask your instructor at the end where to go from there. For stuff like fishing youll learn some stuff already from your fishing liscence class (at least in my area) and then from there just ask people you meet on the river. Activities/ outdoor sports are the best because your /out/ doing cool shit and meet cool people also doing cool shit. Then they introduce you to other cool shit. Some of my best friends ive met through the whitewater community, and through them I learned how to snowboard. I prob would of never done that otherwise.
>>
>>1053433
>I going to have to read and research all by myself?
You're an adult, aren't you? Besides, it ain't rocket science. Go /out/ there, start frugal, know your limits, rack up experience and gradually expand your boundaries.
>>
File: boats.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
boats.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>1053433
>>1053532
3) Meet Up groups. Primarily through Facebook and Meetup.com. Typically these are outdoor sport/activity focused but through them you could probably find what youre looking for.

Also prepare to spend some money! Getting into activities and making sure you have proper /out/ gear will cost some dosh but the right gear will provide you with better experiences.

But I cant stress enough, if you want to do something, GO DO IT. Dont wait for someone else to show you the path. I would HIGHLY reccomend getting into something like fishing/backpacking/kayaking first and going from there, its way easier meeting people if you share common interests.

New rule, OP. Dont make another thread on this board unless you've gone for a hike first.

Pic related: My 3 kayaks, snowboard, and my roomates kayak. 4 years ago I wouldnt of thought I would get into those sports at all. People change.

Good luck!
>>
>>1053538
I'm a young adult with very little money, but I am saving money up for the best gear for as little money as possible. And some of it comes off as rocket science. Some guys have been gradually doing this stuff for years unlike me so that shit ton of research IS intimidating.
Thanks though!
>>
>>1053549
thanks so much for the tips. I have gone on hikes, but very mild ones.
>>
File: MAL stats.png (20KB, 403x456px) Image search: [Google]
MAL stats.png
20KB, 403x456px
>>1053433
Echoing
>>1053532
>>1053549
Pic related is my total viewing/reading stats from myanimelist (weeb anime/manga progress tracking site) from before I quit about 4 years ago. I had seen enough to watch anime for almost 200 days solid, 24/7, without seeing the same thing twice.
If I was able to get /out/ after locking myself in my room for 6 years watching anime and playing vidya, fucking anyone can. I'm Minnesotan, so picking up fishing was a no-brainer and most of my anime/vidya time is now fishing and kayaking. Play to the strengths of your area. Got trails? Hike. Rocky areas? Try bouldering. 10,000 lakes? Fish. Look into county and state parks in the area and throw up a cheap tent in a designated camping spot overnight. You just have to make yourself do it.
>>
>>1053433
Where do you live faggot.
>>
>>1053655
If this guy can do it, anyone can do it.

I was never a shut-in but joining a Conservation Corps is a great way to get /out/ with some really cool /out/ists. I joined a program that drops me in a location for 8 days with a small team. It's all camping and tough, manual labor in national parks. That's followed by 6 days off--days in which I can go with my /out/ friends to various spots throughout the southwest. I live in a small house with 40 other /out/ists. You have no privacy, but you're always doing shit outside.

Try looking for something like this; it's changed my life. i can now surf/climb/fly fish/cave (all of which I had never, ever done).
>>
>>1053549
Awesome advice and inspiring. I'm 26 trying to get into /out/ and this is helping for sure!
>>
You know, it's easy to learn how to go /out/ if you have help. It's also easier to get help if people know where the hell you are. Even if you don't trust a random autist to go camping with you or similar, that same autist can probably point you to a group you can join.
>>
>>1053551
If you save up you'll never actually go /out/. Some of the best gear costs a lot of money. I had the same mentality.
Buy decent gear you can afford now, not necessarily top of the line stuff, and then upgrade as you go. For ex. there's no reason for you to drop hundreds of $$ on a really nice tent if you've never been camping. You can get a good 2-person Coleman tent on Amazon for under $50. Get that, go camping, see if you like it. If you like camping great, go camping more, see what features you prioritize and get a tent that has those and fits your budget.
For all you know you might not like the activity.

Or just rent stuff for your first time and go from there.

I've acumulated a bunch of extra gear this way, through eventually upgrading everything. The plus side is that now I can try and get my friends to go /out/ with me and can provide gear for them. Got a bunch of people to go camping for the first time ever in their life that way.
>>
>>1053532
/lit/ here. w-why is this thread so helpful? Where are the pretentious fucks??? Shit I'm gonna have to go outside.
>>
>>1054232
Fuck off back to pol you pretentious roastie
>>
>>1054232
don't tell your friends
>>
>>1053433
Ok OP. You gotta report back now.

Have you gone /out/ yet?
>>
File: Written by max brooks.jpg (32KB, 302x450px) Image search: [Google]
Written by max brooks.jpg
32KB, 302x450px
>>1053433
Dont worry OP, I've found the perfect outdoor survival guide for you.
>>
>>1053551
>saving money up for the best gear
What kind of gear do you mean? You can go out with almost no special gear at all.

Some things need to be bought, like
-compass
-mora companion knife
-sharpening stone, preferably a diamond stone
-bic lighter

>shit ton of research
>intimidating
Start with survival skills. It's a fun hobby and you get to call yourself a survivalist. Urban survival is also a thing. btw survivals skills are mostly skills that all people used to have before cities and modern civilization. when you get the hang of it it will help you with choosing right gear and right challenges. just don't watch any 'survival shows' on tv.

one more tip. Before using any axe, make sure you know how to use it safely.
>>
>>1054232
*sneers in old English*
>>
>>1056995
>don't watch any 'survival shows' on tv.
Hey, Survivorman is pretty cool. Les Stroud is a cool homeboy. Though I don't think it airs anymore...
>>
File: 1443846748547.png (172KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
1443846748547.png
172KB, 396x385px
>>1053433
SO HOW WAS THE HIKE OP???
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.