[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reenacting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: Militia Training.png (988KB, 785x506px) Image search: [Google]
Militia Training.png
988KB, 785x506px
I am wanting to get into reenacting. I am from the Midwest, and the majority of events within a 2 hour drive are Revolution/War of 1812. Anyone have a starter kit on a budget for this time era, or know any reenactment groups that go to the Vincennes Rendezvous? All help is appreciated.
>>
>>1052395
Vietnam is more fun
also >>/k/
>>
>>1052401
That or
>>>/his/
>>
>>1052401
>>1052856
Dunno about /his/ but ive seen a few reenactment threads on /k/
>>
>>1052859
Not op, but we have reenactment threads here every day full of bushcrafters, survivalists, and tacticool spergs
/out/ has as much cosplay as /cgl/ and more LARPers than /tg/
>>
>>1052873
It's sad because it's true.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1499300034368.jpg (195KB, 1394x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1499300034368.jpg
195KB, 1394x960px
>>1052395
Professional and hobby reenactor here, multiple time periods.

Because of the plethora of information and material culture for the 18thC, as well as general public embracing the history (whereas we have no medieval history as Europe does, and the Civil war is a minefield of social-political bullshit), fidelity of presentation and equipment costs tend to be on the high end of cost. New people are given some leeway and there are some off the shelf options (some better than others), but constantly updating and improving your presentation is paramount.

>Anyone have a starter kit on a budget for this time era
You need to be much more specific about your exact timeframe, culture (French, Brit, American etc) and presentation (Soldier, trapper, trader, preacher etc)

>know any reenactment groups that go to the Vincennes Rendezvous?
Why not try the Spirit of Vincennes website or facebook for local groups? They look farby as hell though.

Pic related. I am one of the guys in blue at the front, firing a three pounder.
>>
>>1054435
What do you mean "professional reenactor"? I call bullshit.
>>
File: 1493170340498.jpg (76KB, 700x481px) Image search: [Google]
1493170340498.jpg
76KB, 700x481px
>>1054667
I work in mackinaw, yes there is such a thing
Not that other guy btw that shit is boring
NAM IS WHERE ITS AT!
>>
>>1054667
Not that guy either, but I thought those people at Colonial Williamsbug and shit like that got paid
>>
File: surgical table.jpg (69KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
surgical table.jpg
69KB, 960x540px
>>1054667
Like >>1054712 and >>1054729 say, I am a historian focused on historic medicine and military science, with a living history background who gets paid to be an 18thC soldier and surgeon's mate, as my day job.

>>1054712
>I work in mackinaw
No shit? Do you know Nial?

>>1054729
We do. I also have worked at Jamestown Settlement doing 17thC, and a few other smaller 18thC museums. Pic is my surgical kit at work. Not as complete as I'd like, but we are working on it.
>>
>>1054741
nah m8 I just work at one of the tourist traps.
I might pick up older reenacting when I finish college and get more money. The only reason I can do vietnam reenactments is because I already had all the gear from my dad and uncle.
Neat job though 10/10 would work there.
>>
>>1054747
May I request that you sink or scuttle the pirate ferry?
>>
>>1054712
Ever meet David Fuller? I'd imagine he's retired by now, but I was one of his students from his day job as a high school teacher way back when.
>>
>>1054435
>
Because of the plethora of information and material culture for the 18thC, as well as general public embracing the history (whereas we have no medieval history as Europe does, and the Civil war is a minefield of social-political bullshit), fidelity of presentation and equipment costs tend to be on the high end of cost. New people are given some leeway and there are some off the shelf options (some better than others), but constantly updating and improving your presentation is paramount.

THIS. We have the info, and trying to fake it makes you look like a halloween costume or larper.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.