[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Green building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1.jpg (201KB, 1000x661px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
201KB, 1000x661px
Anyone here interested in green building/passivhaus/biophilia? My job is semi-related to this area and it's made me realise just how much I'd love to buy a plot of land and build my own fully sustainable house one day, but I don't have any background in architecture. Interested to hear from anyone with a bit more experience on how easy it is to build this sort of property
>>
I am interested in them minorly, but I think your best chances might be communication with local forestry/woodproducing and architecture unis.
>>
>>1052172
Schools with environmental engineering programs are good too.
>>
>>1051408
Is pic related Thorncrown Chapel? I live near that
>>
What do you anon?
>>
File: sustainability_clip_image002.png (50KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
sustainability_clip_image002.png
50KB, 640x626px
Why do you want to do this?
What do you mean when you say sustainable?

Building a new single family house on a plot of land is almost impossible to do.
>>
>>1051408
Look into Earthships maybe?
>>
>>1051408
It's really really fucking hard to do.

First off, if you want it to be pleasantly comfortable indoors you pretty much can't have windows, because the only natural materials that both insulate well and last more than a few years aren't really compatible with them. Which means you're gonna blow through a lot of electricity either with HVAC or lighting. Which means you're looking at a very complex, large, and expensive alt-energy system if you want it to be "sustainable" such as multiple wind turbines or a giant solar array.

Second off, they need to be quite small to reduce energy consumption and to make up for the lack of insulation. As in 500-700 square feet. To give an idea, most 1-room efficiency apartments are ~400 square feet and most 1-bedroom apartments are 500-650 square feet. Most people find such a small home uncomfortably crowded.

As a result, finding a designer that can create one out of sustainable materials that has little or no ongoing impact on the environment is very difficult, as it requires a great deal more skill and specialized knowledge to do than a standard stick-built house
>>
>>1052722
10 bulbs running 24/7 would only use about $5 of electric or year. Is that expensive to you?
>>
>>1052731
Lolno.

10, 5 watt/60w equivalent LED bulbs running 6 hours a day is 300 watt hours per day or approximately 110 kilowatt hours a year. At its cheapest in the US electicity is around 12 cents per kilowatt hour. Which is $13+.

That's also on the extremely conservative side on number of bulbs and hours run, since with ZERO natural light you're gonna want at least some of the bulbs going during all waking hours, which for most people is 14-16 hours per day, and 10 60w equivalent bulbs dont put out all that much light.
>>
>>1052753
>lights on in house during all waking hours
Do you ever leave the house?

$13/an is not expensive by any stretch anyways.

I'm not saying this task is anything short of impossible if you really dig into every part that goes into constructing a house, but the power for lighting isn't a big problem since LED's became affordable. The problem is the transport and construction. It also lays in the fundamental premise of building a single family home on a plot of land.
>>
>>1052774
Single family homes have less of a total environmental impact than apartment buildings.
>>
>>1052722
>natural materials
Who said anything about natural materials?
>>
>>1052941
Firstly, it would depend on the construction. But on average an apartment building will have less impact per resident.
>>
Suburbs are the enemy. I dream of a world covered in nothing but dense city, farmland/proper small-town, and /out/. The normies who wanted all the benefits of city life would be contained in small areas, but could still come and enjoy all the /out/ as they saw fit, while the rest of us could surround ourselves with true nature. Instead, urban sprawl will continue to burn away any remaining wild, and as advancements in infrastructure extend the distance from which commuters can reach urban centers every morning, the plague that is suburbia will fragment and degrade our land. There will be no more standing on a hilltop and surveying unbroken forest as far as the horizon. There will be no more hiking through the brush for miles without encountering the sign of another man. We'll have nothing but little manicured cells of land because every jackass wants to own a house regardless of its quality as a structure or as an investment. It happened to Europe, and we're next. How do we stop it?
>>
>>1053018
You would like Sweden, anon
>>
>>1052955
It's kind of the #1 core tenet of "green" building--the building itself needs to be made from sustainable materials, and the only sustainable materials are natural.
>>
>>1053059
Let me ctrl+F "insulation" here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_building
>designers specify high-performance windows and extra insulation in walls, ceilings, and floors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_house
>Passivhaus buildings employ superinsulation to significantly reduce the heat transfer through the walls, roof and floor compared to conventional buildings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_architecture
>passive solar building designs incorporate materials with high thermal mass that retain heat effectively and strong insulation that works to prevent heat escape.
>sustainable building materials include blown-in fiber glass insulation
"Natural" can get pretty arbitrary. Linoleum is a heavily engineered, high-performance product but it's biodegradable and made from linseed oil, canvas, wood dust, etc.
>>
>>1053088
>fiberglass
>sustainable
I wasn't aware something that took 50,000 years to decompose and required extensive processing to even exist was considered sustainable.
>>
Made this thread and then forgot all about it, whoops

>>1052264
Yes that's it, seen as one of the best examples of biophilic architecture

>>1052471
Workplace consultancy (bit of a meme field that only exists in big cities), where the big thing at the moment is biophilia - bringing more plants and water features into stale corporate environments.

>>1052492
Ideally I'd love to build a house that creates more energy than it assumes, but still looks like a traditional build (cabin style) out in the countryside somewhere. I don't know if that's possible, but I see all sorts of incredible green inventions being talked about, so I was just curious.
>>
>>1052722
The energy side is what I need to learn a lot more about. What about solar panelled walls and/or roof? Would just a few wind turbines suffice, and could they be built aesthetically into the design? I need to work out what's fantasy and what's achievable.
>>
>>1053574
Keep in mind that solar panels are much, much more efficient if they can track the sun to maintain perpendicularity. Yeah, it's aesthetic as fuck to have a solar roof, but for the money you'll get a lot more energy from freestanding, tracking panels
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.