[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homestead Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Jackson-Land-Cattle-Ranch-4.jpg (473KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
Jackson-Land-Cattle-Ranch-4.jpg
473KB, 1600x1067px
Not sure if this is the right board, but here goes.
I am currently in college and have been thinking about what I want to do and after a lot of thought, decided that I want to buy some land and live the dream.

>The question is where!
I am already pretty set on Texas and was thinking somewhere between Austin and San Antonio. (outside city limits obviously and closer to Austin.)
I want at somewhere around 10-25 acres to have a backyard shooting range (Will obviously set up a thick backstop), space to keep some animals (Few horses, some goats, chickens, and maybe some cows), have a fish/duck pond, and maybe grow a carnivorous plant garden. (in that order. first two are mandatory and last ones are maybes.) I also need it to be near a medical center or at least somewhere where I can get a job. (Sonography) I also would like it to be at least within 1 day driving distance to a forested area for going innawoods, but can't be too close as I will be moving my parents into my new home with me and they are scared suburbanites that don't want to live "Where things will attack you."

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as I too am a suburbanite!
>>
>>1049917
That's not really a homestead, it sounds more like having a house with goats in the back yard.

People typically start small and work there way up. You buy a house/land, plant a small garden(a real one that grows food), add to the garden over several seasons, get some chickens if you feel up to it, etc.

And if you work full time there's only so much "homesteading" you can do, it will be limited to what is basically advanced gardening. I'm the same age as you with similar plans, but the progression I'm going into allows for self employment. Btw, if you're in the medical field consider the Dallas area.
>>
>>1049930
Yeah I figured that wasn't the right word, but the image search had pretty pics so I just went with it. Mostly I just wanted a nice house with enough land that I could do whatever I eventually wanted to do, but keep it small enough that it won't really be too difficult to take care of. I am not familiar with the Dallas area. Are there many good places to go fishing or hunting? I don't want to be too close to Dallas honestly. I have heard that it has a pretty high crime rate. What about Temple or Waco? I really liked Marble Falls, but it looks like it would be expensive as hell.
>>
How much money should I save in order to make the property livable? (House built, power, water, mostly cleared, etc.)
Like could I have say 12 acres of land outside the city limits of Temple Texas and have a house built with utilities, have it cleared enough to build other things later, and maybe have a fence around the property for say $375,000-400,000?

I want the house to be pretty big or at the very least have it be done in a way that I could easily expand it later. I want it to end up with six rooms and 2.5 bathrooms. (One room will be an awesome indoor cat area that instead of walls will have mesh/wire so that my cats can feel like outside cats, but not actually go out and start killing birds and other wild animals.) Is it better to just build a house the way I want it from the start or to build a smaller house and expand it as I get more money? Like obviously the cat room could wait till later.
>>
The word homestead means nothing nowadays. What youre refering too is a lifestyle block.
>>
>>1050322
Oh so there is a word for it. Cool now I know what to look for.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.