[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone got any good /out/ core novels or literature recommendations?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 33

File: IMG_5744.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5744.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Anyone got any good /out/ core novels or literature recommendations?
>>
>>
>>1048969
Anyone else get a good wilderness feel from Lord of the Rings?
>>
>>1049060
>beginning of the Fellowship when Frodo an the boys leave the shire for the first time
>out of shape, no proper gear, lost
>hike through brambles and swamps for days
>almost die
That's a really underrated part of the story. The Barrow-Downs was so cool. And fucking Bombadil. Tolkien must have been a backpacker as a young man
>>
File: The_man_who_walked_through_time.jpg (32KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
The_man_who_walked_through_time.jpg
32KB, 220x331px
Pic related is very good; very poetic & gives good historical perspective.

And desert solitaire, ofc.

Either the summer or the winter book by Tove Jansson; I forget which.

A lot of work by Gerald Durrell is fairly /out/; but also funny naturalism anecdotes (My Family & Other Animals).
>>
I read something a long time ago about a boy who ran away from home to the forest, lived in a hollowed-out tree, and raised a pet hawk to help him hunt. Can anyone help me with a title?
>>
>>1049712
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
>>
>>1049718
what a champ. Thanks man
>>
File: 1487107754029.jpg (1012KB, 1831x3200px) Image search: [Google]
1487107754029.jpg
1012KB, 1831x3200px
>>
>>1049786
That's more /trv/ than /out/, but there's some good reads in there.
>>
>>1049795
Yeah I posted it without having a decent look at it and it's a lot more travel than I remember. But like you said still a good collection of books.
>>
I like prisoner of war diaries, because there's usually an escape through the wilderness, and even when there isn't, just being in a wartime internment camp is a survival situation.
>Beasts, Men, and Gods by Ferdinand Ossendowski
LOTR-tier epic about escape from a gulag and flight across Siberia and Mongolia
>The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz
Same thing as above. Gulag escapees were prolific writers; I guess they all had good stories.
>Four Fifty Miles to Freedom by Maurice Johnston
A group of British WW1 officers escapes from an Ottoman prison camp and sneaks across Anatolia to the coast
>Outwitting the Hun by Patrick O'Brien
American RAF pilot gets shot down during WW1, escapes from prison and has to cross Luxembourg and Belgium without being seen. I've always thought it would be fun to re-create his route.
>The Andersonville Diary by John Ransom
My favorite of any of these. Mostly about surviving one of the worst concentration camps in history, but there are a few fun innawoodsy parts where he escapes and runs amok in the rebel south

All of the above are available on free audiobook on Librivox.
>>
Kinda normie teir but I enjoyed Treasure Island. I always fancied the going out to sea and exploring new lands idea
>>
File: 11_big.jpg (41KB, 500x329px) Image search: [Google]
11_big.jpg
41KB, 500x329px
>>1050366
Novels like that and Robinson Crusoe are fucking awesome. It must have been absolutely amazing to live in a time when entirely new continents were being explored and colonized, and (unlike with space exploration) random poor normies like us could become a shiphand and actually go.
>>
>>1050368
Or be a colonial American and go settle Appalachia...shit gives me a chub.
>>
>>1050801
>go settle Appalachia
You still can, you know.
>>
File: IMG_8067.jpg (30KB, 236x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8067.jpg
30KB, 236x400px
There's always pic related
>>
>>1048969
Anything written by Peter Capstick.

He was an African professional hunter (guide), and his books cover everything from the humors of day to day life in Africa (such as freaking out over a mamba in your composting toilet or the sheer beauty of the sunrises) to the actual hunting he did.

Quite a bit of humor, quite a bit of his raw appreciation of the continent, and of course the hunting stories for those that enjoy that.
>>
File: IMG_2546.png (901KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2546.png
901KB, 750x1334px
>>1049786
Damn this is great, thank you
>>
Sir Francis Galton
>>
>>1048969
Is Walden by Thoreau too obvious?
>>
just about anything by Jim Harrison
>>
>>1048969
I don't know about core but I really enjoyed this
>>
File: on_the_origin_of_species.jpg (293KB, 650x918px) Image search: [Google]
on_the_origin_of_species.jpg
293KB, 650x918px
>>
File: SandCounty.jpg (33KB, 304x500px) Image search: [Google]
SandCounty.jpg
33KB, 304x500px
>>1052055
>>
File: vorrh-cover-web.jpg (457KB, 1000x684px) Image search: [Google]
vorrh-cover-web.jpg
457KB, 1000x684px
>>1052056
>>
>>1052030
Great book. Takes me right back to my days as a college student fucking around in Europe
>>
>>1052163
I live in southern France not too far from the area, there's Stevenson trail there seeking to retrace his footsteps (the GR 70), I'll probably do it in the next couple years
>>
>>1049062
Tom Bombadil is the best character out of all of Tolkein's novels
>>
>>1052196
Are the Cevennes all that nice? The photos look sort of bland compared to other regions of France.
>>
>>1049062
>Tolkien must have been a backpacker as a young man
The British don't really have backpacking like we in NA do. They don't have huge tracks of untaimed wilderness, nor big mountains.

They do, however, go on walking tours.
>>
>>1052376
Tolkien spent a lot of time in the Scottish highlands and in Wales, which at the time were quite wild and fairly large.

He also travelled to a lot of the Norse countries, although he didn't spend a ton of time there.
>>
>>1052332
It's one of my favorite place out there to go /out/
Granted it's not the Pyrenees nor the Alps, we aren't talking about high mountains here.
But it's heavily forested, the climate is quite varied with clear Mediterranean influence in the south that fades the further north you go, it's one of the places here with the most biodiversity, it's sparsely populated and when it is it's always quaint old villages, and it may not be very high but there are some pretty challenging hike to do.
I think you must not think about the Cévennes like you'd think about the other French National Parks. The Alpine ones are nature/wildlife reserves, whereas the Cévennes is this and much more as it has a long history spanning over 2 millenias. There are no people living in most the other National Parks and has never been, whereas the Cévennes aims to protect not only the natural aspects but also the cultural and historical sides of this range. Which is why the Cévennes and some surrounding areas are UNESCO World Heritage sites, sure the mountains itself are pretty and all but it's even better if you enjoy history, traditions and old stones (which I agree is more a /trv/ thing than purely /out/)
And it's surrounded by other nice ranges, the Espinouse (pic related), Caroux, Montagne Noire, the Ardèche mountains and high altitudes plateaux such as the Aubrac and the Causses

To make it short I'd say yeah the Cévennes are really worth it but don't expect pure wilderness, the atmosphere of the place is partly due to the thousands of men who left their trace there before we were born.
There are more impressive places nature-wise but this one is comfy as fuck and feels really isolated despite the crowded Med seaside not that far.
Since I like a few castles and old towns on my hikes it's great
>>
stoic philosophy pairs beautifully with /out/
>>
File: adrian-233470.jpg (5MB, 3748x5622px) Image search: [Google]
adrian-233470.jpg
5MB, 3748x5622px
>>1051058
Even if it is obvious, it's worth mentioning. I think a lot of /out/ists will relate to the philosophy he lays out in the beginning and uses as a rationale for setting out -- simple living, not being tied down by material possessions, independence and self-reliance, disconnect from society or rather dealing with it on your own terms, assuming you are solitary and introspective. Then there are the breathtaking descriptions of his spot, the trees and the pond, animals and their noises, his moments of satisfaction and peace by a candle in his cabin, his encounters with visitors...

I want to recommend Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. It's mostly about traveling through Southern France and Spain to make it to the running of the bulls, but there's a spectacular chapter where the self-insert goes fishing with a buddy that really captures the feeling of being out.
>>
>>1053405
Thanks for this write up.
>>
File: grenouille chasseuse.jpg (154KB, 755x768px) Image search: [Google]
grenouille chasseuse.jpg
154KB, 755x768px
>>1053452
A pleasure
>>
File: 41h7rkNjOhL.jpg (21KB, 321x500px) Image search: [Google]
41h7rkNjOhL.jpg
21KB, 321x500px
>>
Any and all Cormac McCarthy. Especially Blood Meridian.
>>
>>1050864
That is true. I've been kicking around moving back to WV once my finances are in order since my job will let me live anywhere. My big fear is that DC is preparing to colonize the state (They already have at Lewisburg & White sulfur Springs.) If they legalize the mary jane DC will take over for sure. Backup plan is the Ozarks, is Arkansas cool?
>>
>>1053405
Sounds a lot like a French Appalachia.
>>
>>1056455
I never had any interest in the desert until I read McCarthy's descriptions of the landscapes. They are as much a character in Meridian as the people
>>
>>1052056
This is one of the most important books ever written for naturalism in America. it is required reading for my Wildlife Biology program, shit is basically the bible for naturalists in the West
>>
>>1052056
Leopold makes me feel inadequate
>>
File: Earth_Abides_1949_small.jpg (30KB, 259x384px) Image search: [Google]
Earth_Abides_1949_small.jpg
30KB, 259x384px
Always like reading fables and folklore while out.

Also dying earth, robinsonades, and milesian tales.
>>
>>1048969
The Big Sky by A. B. Guthrie
>>
Yama no Susume :3
>>
>>1052213
you spelled Treebeard wrong
>>
>>1056900
Yes, the Ozarks are fantastic. Mountains, forests, lakes, and rivers. And a fuck the government attitude.
>>
File: butcherscrossing.jpg (31KB, 313x499px) Image search: [Google]
butcherscrossing.jpg
31KB, 313x499px
>>
Edward Abbey - A voice crying in the Wilderness, or anything by him really.

Ted Leeson - Jerusalem Creek, The Habits of Rivers

John Gierach - Trout Bum

Thomas McGuane - The Longest Silence

Jim Harrison - In search of small Gods, and all the rest of his stuff.

Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

Burton L. Spiller - A drummer in the woods

H.G. Tapply - The Sportsman notebook and Tap's tips (old school hunting and fishing advice).

Isak Dinesen - Out of Africa

John Muir - anything

Thoreau - anything

Ralph Waldo Emerson - anything

Alexandra David-Neel - My Journey to Lhasa

Thor Heyerdahl - Kon Tiki

Norman Mclean - A river runs through it, and young men and fire

Peter Mathiessen - The Snow Leopard

Jose Ortega y Gasset - Meditations on Hunting

Ted Kerasote - Blood Ties

David James Duncan - The River Why

Peter Capstick - Death in the Long Grass

Richard Proenekke - One Mans Wilderness

Ernest Hemingway - Green HIlls of Africa, and many others
>>
File: pipebreak.jpg (12KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
pipebreak.jpg
12KB, 280x180px
>>1059183
Interestingly enough, an anon from /k/ has offered to let me winter at his primitive cabin on a mountain in the Oklahoma Ozarks. Not sure if he's planning to murder me, but I always wanted to spend a winter longline trapping, reading, writing, and splitting wood innahills.
>>
File: 71jJxbcCFBL.jpg (212KB, 1100x1650px) Image search: [Google]
71jJxbcCFBL.jpg
212KB, 1100x1650px
Win Blevins- "Give Your Heart to the Hawks"
>>
>>1059205
How does this compare to Stoner?
>>
File: 133518.jpg (64KB, 311x475px) Image search: [Google]
133518.jpg
64KB, 311x475px
>>
File: IMG_5207.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5207.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1056455
>>1056904
OP here. Absolutely. McCarthy has been my favorite author for years. Blood Meridian is insane and The Border Trilogy is probably my go to for /out/ cowboy novels, I wouldn't be who I am and I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't for reading All The Pretty Horses
>>
>>1058907
How does the manga compare to the anime?
>>
What are some good outdoor poets, specifically?
Mary Oliver is great.
>>
>>1059594
I'll vouch for McCarthy also. Suttree is one of my absolute favorite books; I intimately relate to the isolated man running away from his past in favor of simple living, day to day, with no overarching plot or goal. McCarthy prose is dense and at times challenging, and so cinematic and rewarding.
This guy has catalogued a few photos from locations around Knoxville described in the book; they are all nearly exactly as I pictured them in my mind's eye.
http://web.utk.edu/~wmorgan/Suttree/suttree.htm
>>
Hemingway wrote some /out/ stuff.
For Whom the Bell Tolls and some of his short stories, especially the Nick Adams stories
>>
>>1059594
I am right there with you man, McCarthy changed my whole life; whether for good or bad, I cannot say. There is an instant kinship I have found between myself and others who have been similarly affected. Currently chewing my way through all of Edward Abbey's novels and loving every page of them.
>>
>>1059936
This is an awesome link, thank you!
>>
>>1048969
Robert Service.
>>
File: 1472407443651.jpg (35KB, 343x500px) Image search: [Google]
1472407443651.jpg
35KB, 343x500px
>>1060078
Great to recite around a campfire with youngins.
>>
>>1050874
Anything by Jack London
>>
Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices- George Leonard Herter
>Ever wondered how to cook a snappin turtle? >Ever wonder what Hitler's favorite omelette was?
>>
File: IMG_5966.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5966.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1059936
That link is the coolest thing I have been shown on the internet in a good amount of time, thank you for sharing. I totally understand as well, been living in Los Angeles originally from Pennsylvania doing simple work and my living situation isn't working out so I think I'm going to opt for living in my truck and taking it day by day. Camping and hiking and reading on my free time, why the hell not
>>
American Serengeti
The Naturalist
A Sand County Almanac
American Buffalo
Trout Bum
>>
>>1060247
Good a time and place as any to pick up some Abbey, in this anon's opinion.
>>
Find a book about the history of the area that you are going.
>>
>>1060247
I'm in a similar situation north of the border. The disconnect is tempting but I'm doubting my guts. Doubting if this is just an escapist reaction to built-up stress, and even if it is maybe it's a good one.
You'll probably relate to Five Easy Pieces, if you haven't seen it. Similar themes to Suttree. Plus Jack Nicholson.

Have a good one, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
>>
>>1049001
my nigga
>>
File: Marley Fowat.jpg (8KB, 182x276px) Image search: [Google]
Marley Fowat.jpg
8KB, 182x276px
>/out/ literature thread
>no Farley Mowat
I'm almost taken aback. Pic related is my favorite while /out/ besides the Bible
>>
File: IMG_20150705_163238.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150705_163238.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1048969
Where did you take this picture, OP? Northwest California by any chance?
>>
File: IMG_6060.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6060.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1061008
You too brother. Safe journeys and keep your head up as cliche as that sounds
>>
File: IMG_6023.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6023.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1061175
Outside of Whittier, CA. I wish I was in the northwest
>>
>>1056900
I live in Arkansas, it is FANTASTIC. There are parks and lakes everywhere there's tall mountains, deep rivers, wide lakes, and ok people. You can still travel somewhere no one else has been before, and none of the cops give a shit what you're doing. There's hundreds of nice small towns to move to as well.
>>
File: arkansas-flag-hog-card.jpg (790KB, 1410x1118px) Image search: [Google]
arkansas-flag-hog-card.jpg
790KB, 1410x1118px
>>1061476
Sounds like my kind of place. The region seems too isolated and "backward" to be undergoing any "progress" soon (invasion by rich liberal assholes), so it sounds like a safer investment in the longer term. Thanks anon, I'll start investigating.
Based state bird btw
>>
>>1059594
Wanderer above the sea of fog
>>
>>1056356
The book that ruined Montana
>>
File: IMG_20170718_130938.jpg (3MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_130938.jpg
3MB, 2160x3840px
>>1061635
>>1061476
>>1059183
Ozarks are great, especially the Ouachita and Ozark-St.Francis Nat'l Forests. There's also the Ozark Highlands Trail. If you already live here, I HIGHLY recommend that you consider joining the OHTA, and I hope to be joining soon (pic related)

I've lived in Eureka and currently live in Fayetteville; both are strikingly gorgeous. I'm surprised the Ozarks don't get as much credit as they're worth
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.