[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for a DIY Satellite Phone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: garmin_GPSmap_60CSx.jpg (33KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
garmin_GPSmap_60CSx.jpg
33KB, 500x345px
I'm looking for a way to maybe connect a Garmin GPS to a smartphone to then have some sort of satellite connection where there is no cell service or WiFi. I work in Northern Ontario for long periods of time and have no means of communication. I know there are sat phones you can buy, though they are very expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>1048517
I'd ask >>>/g/ but limiting factors will be who provides your satellite/carrier service

Can anyone provide me with employment opportunities within the goolging information for incapables market
>>
>>1048517
You clearly don't understand how GPS or satcom works at all. GPS is one way communication for all practical purposes, the only data that is sent up to GPS satellites is orbit data for increased accuracy.

Your garmin GPS can't send signals out, it can only receive. Sending signals from a small handheld unit into space is far more difficult than sending signals from space to earth using a 10 ton multi-million dollar military satellite. That is why sat phones cost money.

The absolutely cheapest alternative will be SPOT GEN3, but those are intended just to send pre-programmed "I'm alive" or "SOS" messages to you family and emergency services. They can be had for $150 or something like that with cheap-ish subscriptions.

Garmin makes satellite communicators (inreach) that start at around $400 and will communicate with your smartphone or work standalone. Garmin charges $50/month for unlimited text messages on annual plans and $25/month for 40 messages. $0.5 for messages after those 40.

Your other cheap option is ROM Communications Text Anywhere, which is like inreach (same device price) with a way shittier device that needs a smartphone to work (no standalone screen like inreach) but offers a cheaper subscription of 100 (100 total, both send and receive) messages each month for for $30. $0.27 for messages after those 100.

And then there are the proper sat phones that cost $1000 and up, but I take it you don't want one of those.
>>
>>1048607
After a bit of googling, seems you can find older (before Garmin bought DeLorne) inReach units at around $300, so that might be that best option. And to clarify, these units use iridium satellites to send shit, because GPS is only satellite to ground.
>>
File: How-gps-work.jpg (40KB, 560x414px) Image search: [Google]
How-gps-work.jpg
40KB, 560x414px
>>1048517
>>1048607
this guy is correct gps is basicly a time stamped signal with a satellite name.

after u get you signals it's simple math for triangulation. absolutely no difference between a modern phone and handheld gps in precision. the handheld might have a better decibel antenna ( you might get better reception in bad conditions like a closed canopy above) but the the phone might have a-gps data from the internet before you left the reception area.

this is a one way communication.

what you need is a satellite phone/ device running on iridium ( the service not the element) or any other service.

there are cheaper pagers or rentals. you can also buy land locked stuff cheaper. like only africa, but nothing else. last time i saw one was in extrem sport trip in nepal as a safeguard it was 1$ per minute and bit less for sms. 30 day rental ~100$ with 10 min/messages included. IIRC
>>
File: 1463900980303.jpg (30KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1463900980303.jpg
30KB, 600x800px
>>1048607
this
>>1048683
>iridium
is probably the best satcomm provider out there, but you're going to pay for any of them.

If you're looking for a basic "i fucked up and i'm about to die come get me", look into a PLB. Mine cost me under $200 shipped with rebates/free-shipping deals.

otherwise, inreach (which uses iridium), or spot (globalstar, shittier service imo but still functional).
>>
>>1048517
This isn't quite what you asked for but may be worth looking into.

https://www.gotenna.com
>goTenna Mesh enables text and GPS on your phone 100% off-grid
>>
>>1049824
interesting stuff but looks like it works on 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range (though they claim its using "long wave" in contrast my country this is called Ultra short wave, mainly used by handheld radio)

this would mean a reliable range of 10-20 km max under best conditions considering non harcore power output. (and no chance contact like sporadic E) Unless you can have repeaters near by, though 20km is enough for most applications i guess. but at that range Baofeng products are somewhat the "mora" of the radio world. as they are good for what the do and cheap as fuck.
>>
>>1048517

GPS recieves static data from satelites. It doesn't communicate or exchange any other data. So no, you can't.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.