[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gear Thread #3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

File: otzireconst.jpg (179KB, 1217x2256px) Image search: [Google]
otzireconst.jpg
179KB, 1217x2256px
Let's go again
>>
File: norse nurse.jpg (54KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
norse nurse.jpg
54KB, 600x399px
>>1047196
i wonder what his cardiologist thinks about his distal perfusion
>>
File: Lite-5__08157.1494532734.jpg (792KB, 986x986px) Image search: [Google]
Lite-5__08157.1494532734.jpg
792KB, 986x986px
Can we discuss the benefits of the biolite stove over the solo stove with no fan?
I am trying to figure out which one I need for van camping
>>
File: 1467903530281.png (92KB, 295x229px) Image search: [Google]
1467903530281.png
92KB, 295x229px
>>1047196
>tfw you will never go /out/ like this
>>
>>1047203
The latest biolite can charge a phone at least, but it will fail eventually and you'll be left with a solo stove.

If you are going to be van camping, does bulkiness and weight matter all that much? You could use a full size rocket stove.
>>
>>1047243
weight does not matter at all.
Do you have a link to the rocket stove you describe?
Arent these all rocket stoves?
I guess.... what is a rocket stove exactly...?
>>
File: hobo stove.png (40KB, 892x896px) Image search: [Google]
hobo stove.png
40KB, 892x896px
>>1047246
>what is a rocket stove exactly...?

The name is so misused that most people don't know what it is anymore. You can thank the internet for that. A rocket stove is much like an "L" shaped stove that has an insulated flue. The bottom of the "L" shape is for the air intake and fuel. The flames of a rocket stove are not supposed to touch the bottom of your cooking vessel. That means they flue will be rather tall in comparison to what most people think of as a rocket stove. When designed and used properly, there won't be any smoke and the bottom of the cooking vessel shouldn't be blackened with soot.

•White smoke = wet fuel and inefficient burn (common when first lighting the stove and getting the flue up to temperature.)
•Black smoke = not enough air flow (too much fuel/hot coals blocking the air intake, usually associated with flames that are too high and touching the cooking vessel)
•Clear hot air = everything is proper.

>Do you have a link to the rocket stove you describe?

No, they are usually DIY. All the ones I've seen for sale are either not insulated, too short, or both.

>Arent these all rocket stoves?

No. They are hybrids. Somewhere between hobo stove and rocket stove, but better than a hobo stove at least.
>>
>>1047246
>what is a rocket stove exactly...?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

>A rocket stove is an efficient and hot burning[1] stove using small-diameter wood fuel.[2] Fuel is burned in a simple combustion chamber containing an insulated vertical chimney, which ensures almost complete combustion prior to the flames' reaching the cooking surface. It uses the same principle as the Dakota fire pit. Rocket stove designs are most often used for portable stoves for cooking but the design is also used to make rocket mass heaters for heating.[3]

>Like the beverage-can stove, it is made from found materials, but generally uses wood rather than alcohol.

>In field tests in India, rocket stoves used 18 to 35 per cent less fuel compared to the traditional stoves and reduced fuel used 39-47 per cent compared to the three-stone fire, as well as a large reduction in emissions.[4]

>A precursor of the rocket stove was the Argand lamp. The idea has been commercialized as the Kelly Kettle and the InStove.
>>
File: gear.jpg (579KB, 808x1640px) Image search: [Google]
gear.jpg
579KB, 808x1640px
>>1047196
Looking good, no homo.
>>
>>1047777
>Hairy slenderman
>7777
What does this mean?
>>
File: 20170628_162214.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_162214.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
I recently purchased an "outdoor vest," which arrived at my door today.

I just noticed that the breast pocket has two flaps. The one on the top obviously keeps the pocket covered, but the smaller directly below doesn't cover any openings.

Does this flap actually serve any purpose, or is it just Chinese manufacturers being silly again? I thought I'd ask /out/ on the off-chance they know something about it.
>>
>>1047777
Otzi was a homo though...
>>
>finally buy some gaiters
>carry em on every hike
>half a dozen hikes later
>still haven't gotten to use them
Any other gearqueers have similar experiences with things?
>>
Why the fuck are wool pants so much more difficult to get than wool shirts, underwear, coats etc.?
>>
>>1048389
Varusteleka has some, or else you can find WW2 repros on Chinese sites.
>>
Anyone has experience with Halti backpacks? I was thinking about getting this one, it's 60L

https://www.xxl.fi/halti-halti-manaus-60-rinkka/p/1098651_1_style
>>
>>1048389
Big Bill and Johnson Woolen Mills both make great wool pants.
>>
>>1048500
Varmasti OK mutta kokeile selkään ensin. Kiinassa tehtyä todennäköisesti eli saatat löytää samannäköisen repun eri brändiltä.
>>
File: DSCN3949b.jpg (2MB, 3072x4600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3949b.jpg
2MB, 3072x4600px
>>1047246
Here's mine.
>>
Anyone have any machete recommendations?
>>
>>1048543
It felt good but it's gonna Be My first real Rinka so no idea what to really lool for. Been using a miltec 45L bag until now.
>>
>>1048647
If it felt good on your back it will be good. The details you will see later, like getting water and digging out your stuff.

Do you have experience from the army backpacks?
>>
>>1048665
yes, decent enough, i just want something bigger and this is cheap if nothing else.

Whats the deal with there being a lower compartment in the backpack that opens up also from the inside forming a tube trough the whole backpack? is it for sleepingbag or tent packing help or?
>>
>>1048717
Yeah tent or whatever you want to have at the bottom for faster access. Stove and fuel, tarp, tent, wet suit, laser ranger, claymores, grenades, six pack of beer, whatever.
>>
if I wear metal framed sunglasses to work on a fire crew, will I burn my temples?
>>
File: IMG_3137.jpg (40KB, 331x444px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3137.jpg
40KB, 331x444px
>>1047196
This picture always annoys me, the dude had a copper axe. He would have been dressed like a fucking baller.
>>
>>1048622
I reccomend getting an axe.
>>
>>1048896
Maybe Oetzi was the Bill Gates of his day. No matter how rich he was, he dressed poor.
>>
>>1048140
You can hang things from it.
>>
>>1048929
Yeah, you can never really tell much from a single individual about a larger society and vice versa. Especially outliers.
>>
>>1048949
I keep on thinking about how weird it's gonna be when archaeologists dig up remnants of our culture. All they're gonna find is probably some anime body pillows and DVDs of "My strange addiction" or something.
>>
>>1048958
Here's that exact thing:

>8mins long, but starts at 1:15
https://vimeo.com/138751785
>>
>>1048994
Screw you for making me watch anime, but thank you for showing me that. This is definitely gonna happen.
>>
>>1049270
Anime is just a medium. It can be really fucking shitty or good, just like any other medium.
>>
>>1049285
I agree with you, but the anime stigma is fun to play into. Kinda ironic given this is an anime website tho.
>>
>>1048931
Is that an actual intended feature, or is it your own personal suggestion?

Whatever I choose to hang, it better be fucking light.
>>
>>1048896
man where can i cop these bronze age threads tho
niggas got style
>>
File: burgergear.png (219KB, 600x411px) Image search: [Google]
burgergear.png
219KB, 600x411px
>>1047196
Guys, check this shit out, the best overall gear kit on the market that I've found. For 160 bucks (shipping free to USA) you get a camping tent, a sleeping bag and hiking bag

https://vikingoutfitter.com/collections/exclusive-summer-savings/products/viking-warrior-lightweight-naturehike-expedition-kit-save-40-off

It's pretty sweet if you ask me. Best thing I ever did was buy one of these babies
>>
File: historian intensifies.jpg (343KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
historian intensifies.jpg
343KB, 1920x1080px
>>1050718
SSSSHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.
You sir, are a shill. Begone with thee!
>>
>>1047196
From the thumbnail I thought this was the new penis gourd thread.
>>
>>1050755
Someone posting a link isn't shilling you retard
>>
>>1051709
It is, if it is obvious it is an advertisement, you retard.
>>
>>1047203
The biolite stoves are garbage products that barely pull off the features they boast about and will fail on you after a year. They are heavy, break easily and the only reason you've ever heard about them is because they spent millions on marketing instead of coming up with a decent product. Don't fucking buy one.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.