[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best way to take care of carbon steel knives when /out/? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: rusting-carbon-steel-mora.jpg (123KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
rusting-carbon-steel-mora.jpg
123KB, 800x535px
Best way to take care of carbon steel knives when /out/? I have experience taking care of carbon steel kitchenware, just lightly coat the surface in cooking oil after using, but how do you properly take care of a knife?
>>
let it get a patina and keep it (cutting up fruits like apples and nanas seems to work) . always wipe it dry when it gets whett, cooking oil helps as well.
>>
File: 20161125_091321.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161125_091321.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
>Best way to take care of carbon steel knives when /out/?

Patina
Wipe dry if wet
Don't go diving in the dead sea with it

That's how I do it
>>
So once it develops a patina, it wont rust anymore? Also how about forced patinas, do those work the same way? I just saw those online, boiling vinegar and dunking the blade in for some time
>>
>>1046923
Just use the knife

If you are unwilling to use the knife
Stick it in an orange for 30min-ish or until patina develops

It won't "stop" rusting. But it will give it a nice protective coating
>>
>>1046925
>>1046911
So basically:

>Let it get develop a patina
>Wipe it dry if wet
And this way it won't just rust when in normal, everyday use

Also
>Cooking oil coating if I'm gonna store it for some time
>>
>>1046934
the only caveats to the cooking oil thing are that 1. if the blade's at all whett before applying the oil it'll can prevent the moisture from drying quickly
2. cooking oil goes rancid over time so be sure to wipe it off real güd before eating off the blade when it's been in storage awhile
>>
Carbon steel is going to oxidize unless you leave it at home. If you're out in the bush there's going to be moisture.

My advice, just don't use it for food prep and it won't matter.

Patina's are also oxides. They're a slightly different form of oxide, but they're an oxide. They offer limited protection to rust.

There are ceramic coatings that are very tough but will wear eventually.

I do all my wood prep with my hatchet. My knife is typically stainless and pretty much only gets used for food prep, rope, etc...

I have a really good knife I made from O1 that gets some usage too, mostly for whittling and debarking willow and whatnot.
>>
Just use it and wipe it dry before putting away.

Rust is a myth.
>>
>>1047009
No, the clitoris is a myth. Rust is a way of life.
>>
>>1046917

>Esee 6
My kneegrow
>>
>>1046907

If it's not coated:

Just wipe it dry after you use it.

Rust develops from water/sweat. Remove that, and it won't rust.

WD40 sprayed in your sheathe will keep it good.
>>
>>1046907
>cooking oil

never use cooking oil for anything else, that's why it's called cooking oil

unless you'd be away for an extended period of time or are a lazy slob, it probably won't rust....sand it clean with high grit wet/dry paper and then cover with mustard for a while to force patina

heat up some mineral oil and beeswax, about 3:1 or 4:1, pour into altoids tin, rub onto blade after cleaning
>>
>>1048944
probably should have said vinegar instead of mustard, no need to waste good condiments

just soak paper towel in it and wrap around blade
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.