[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best /out/ clothing brand? And why is it Eddie Bauer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

File: eddiebauer.jpg (11KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
eddiebauer.jpg
11KB, 299x168px
What is the best /out/ clothing brand?

And why is it Eddie Bauer?
>>
>>1046041
>And why is it Eddie Bauer?

If you've already got your mind made up, then why are you bothering to make a thread about it?
>>
Eddie Bauer: The most trusted brand for hipster lumberjacks
>>
>>1046041
Carhartt man, gotta be Carhartt
>>
>>1046041
Eddie Bauer is the go to brand for soccer moms. Maybe they are onto something anon.
>>1046082
Carhartt would be nice if they didnt tailor their clothes for overweight people in the Midwest.
>>
ITT: Suburban/ out/ists
>>
>>1046090
Have to agree on that aspect of Carhartt. Feel like a gluttonous fuck in the things.
>>
File: cmm_bloghomepage-300x297.jpg (31KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
cmm_bloghomepage-300x297.jpg
31KB, 300x297px
>>1046090
>>1046108
Same with L.L.Bean †bh. All their stuff is like wearing a wide rectangle of clothing. I'm always swimming horizontal space and half the time the sleeves are too short
>>
File: Ck_CesNXIAAc5Az.jpg (153KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Ck_CesNXIAAc5Az.jpg
153KB, 1200x800px
I do like the fact Eddie Bauer has Tall-Long size shirts, but I wear those daily in the winter(flannel)

I do have some nylon travel pants with mesh pockets I wear when its wet or hot and I want to keep skeeters and ticks off. also when fishing
>>
>>1046119
>>1046108
>>1046090

t. Millennials with stick arms and legs
>>
>>1046125
Too bad they don't make clothing for people with more than sedentary-lifestyle levels of muscle.

Also their endorsement of on-paved-roads-only luxury SUV's like the Escalade™ Eddie Bauer Edition™
>rwd only, like all escalades
>actually LOWERED
>borderline shag carpet and no floormats
>heated/cooled perforated leather and memory foam seats
>only double the base MSRP of an Escalade, so *only* $130,000
>>
I'm gonna get roasted but Patagonia is pretty good. Best? No, because each brand has a specialty and there's not really a blanket "best"
>>
File: IMG_3086.jpg (279KB, 620x557px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3086.jpg
279KB, 620x557px
>>1046041
That's not how you spell swanndri.
>>
File: IMG_3087.jpg (30KB, 559x263px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3087.jpg
30KB, 559x263px
>>1046101
This, clothings not fucking difficult. Just wear wool and oilskin shit that cost more then $5.
t. Hunter and Dairyfarmer/fencer
>>
>>1046185
Fjällräven
>>
File: 300px-Peacock_Plumage.jpg (28KB, 300x184px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Peacock_Plumage.jpg
28KB, 300x184px
>>1046188
You know it's possible to have functional clothing that doesn't have copious amounts of excess fabric and also doesn't immediately scare-off potential mates. One must be shrewd.
>>
>>1046190
I don't speak gook!
>>
>>1046193
One must be a faggit who doesn't spend much time outside. Kathmandu of whatever the fuck you kids wear these day sure packs up nice but it's shit compared to actual natural materials, not to mention you faggits pay out the arse for it.
>>
>>1046126
Cody Lundin pls go
>>
>>1046041

Rab
Montane
Icebreaker
Arc'teryx
Buffalo
Fjallraven
Swanndri
>>
>>1046193
Not everyone is a faggot like you hounding after diseased whores
>>
>>1046232
>fjallraven
Yes, because every piece of apparel weighing 2-3kg for no apparent reason is such a good thing.
>>
>>1046232
Cintamani
66 North
Fjällräven
Marmot

> fjallraven weight
Stop being such a pencil-neck geek. Their winter expedition stuff is great.
>>
>>1046041

I used to shill Eddie Bauer a ton, hell, I still like their clothing for everyday wear; comfortable, decent quality and they always have sales going on.

But when it comes to /out/ I've been let down by their clothing several times. Most recently I was hiking through a thunderstorm with their Cloud Cap jacket, which is supposed to be waterproof. I'd definitely say it's more on the water resistant side of things. Their Guide Pro pants are pretty much the only thing I'd still recommend as being functional, they feel sorta brittle but I've had them come up against sharp twigs / rocks where I thought they'd rip but held up. They also make good flannels.

Lately I've been trying out Kühl, their pants are pretty loaded. Fjallraven is good but heavy, and they are starting to get pretty memey with their packs. Carhartt makes great stuff for cold weather, but as stated before it only looks goods on amerifats. I'd love to try out Arc'Teryx but it's hard justifying $400 on a jacket with my finances at the moment.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (432KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
432KB, 600x800px
>>1046309
forgot picture. Don't buy Eddie Bauer for anything but suburban wear.
>>
>>1046309
I'd argue against Carhartt being good in cold weather. It's okay in cool weather when you need extreme levels of abrasion resistance, but their BEST insulation is still no-name, hobby-sew-shop tier polyfill in a through-sewn quilted configuration. Their warmest coat is still insufficient below freezing without substantial insulating layers on under it.

Also they have bomber-jacket-cut coats that literally weigh 35 pounds. How the fuck. We sell them at work and they break wood hangers and bend metal hangers on a regular basis.
>>
>>1046292
teeshirts weigh 2kg
trousers weigh 2kg

somehow I don't think so...
>>
>>1046041
I really like their fleece and flannel lined jeans and pants for working out in the cold and their basic T-shirts and flannel shirts are nice. Everything else is just kinda meh.
>>
>>1046126
t. Fat fuck
>>
>>1046090
I feel that way about Columbia too. Everything just doesn't fit right on me.
>>
>>1046041
Lord no. They opened a store up in Bristol and I went in last week. I never seen so many yuppies in my whole entire life. All the clothing looked like extras from a lame instagram faux outdoor hipster page. I didn't see anything that I would actually trust out in the woods. I'll stick to arcteryx, Patagonia, marmot, crye, fjallraven, and milsurp. Hell, even Columbia would be better than that rubbish imo.
>>
>>1046351
Yeah the T-shirts don't. Some of their pants legitimately do though.
>>
I'm not sure about clothing but Eddie Bauer makes the single worst tent I've ever used
>>
File: F82429-550_0.jpg (54KB, 522x704px) Image search: [Google]
F82429-550_0.jpg
54KB, 522x704px
>>1046351
I hate Merino wool shirts so their 139grams tencel Abisko Trail T-shirt is the best thing that ever happened to me. I will admit most of their gear is very overpriced though, I mean it's great gear but still overpriced.
>>
File: 1488769836290.jpg (145KB, 670x424px) Image search: [Google]
1488769836290.jpg
145KB, 670x424px
>>1046393
Oh yeah I have flannel lined cargo pants and jeans, and fleece lined carpenter type jeans, these are my most comfy winter go-to's, get 'em on sale tho
>>
>>1046041
"/out/" means different things to different people. Some people just care about putting off that "lumbersexual vibe" when hanging out with their college friends at the local vegan deli. Other people want something that actually holds up to repeated use and abuse, maybe while working in the outdoors. Other people want something that will perform well at keeping them dry while active in a variety of climates, with less regard to looking good. There's no particular brand of clothing that does it all.

Eddie Bauer is mostly in the first category, being mostly just about looks. Last time I was in an Eddie Bauer store, I saw some "waterproof" down sweaters on the racks being marketed as rain jackets and I just turned around 360 degrees and moonwalked out of the store.

The brands I think are g2g for high performance outdoor clothing (all I really care about) are:
>Patagonia
>Arc'teryx
----power gap between these two and all the others-----
>Outdoor Research
>Rab
>Icebreaker
>Mountain Hardwear
>Cloudveil
>Columbia

There are some others which are pretty good too and others that I don't have experience with, but I've owned multiple garments from each of these companies and never had an issue with clothing made by any of them from quality of construction or quality of materials.
>>
>>1046082
carhartt shorts chafe against my thigh and don't breathe very well, would never wear hiking ever again.
>>
Who makes no nonsense pant+short zip thingys that are hard wearing and have zips?
>>
>>1046655
prana Zion convertibles are the best.
>>
Redpill me on Arcteryx shells. Best model? Best time to grab on sale?
>>
>>1046664
>redpill me on the most expensive brand of outer shells when you can get 95% of the quality / utility from something 70% the price

Well if you insist, the Beta AR is your best bet for all-round use, and just put a puffy on underneath for an insulating midlayer if you need. Best time to grab on sale is when REI has either a garage sale (and good luck competing with everyone else rabidly trying to get one) or when a good REI coupon comes out. Occasionally Steepandcheap has something, and REI's online clearance site "garage" has the occasional sale. Still, you're going to be paying $380+ for anything legitimate.
>>
>>1046157
>Escalade™ Eddie Bauer Edition™
They used to have Eddie edition Ford Explorers, but I had no idea they were doing Cadillacs these days.
>>
>>1046527
>I hate Merino wool shirts
How come? I've never worn them, but I've heard they're breathable, don't stink, etc.
>>
>>1046676
They're high maintenance compared to your standard poly wicking ones. Can't just throw them in the washer/dryer on whichever cycle then throw them in a drawer.

That and they're comparatively expensive, with the cheapest T-shirt style ones being no lower than $35 that I've seen, vs. as low as $4 new for a wicking poly.

I still have several because they really are god-tier for moisture and odor control.
>>
>>1046061
>Hi, I just got here
>>
>>1046676
A lot of with this guys said >>1046686
But also I really can't stand clingy t-shirts, and I have yet to find a merino shirt that doesn't stick to my skin like glue. And the one time I did get a merino t-shirt it was a 70 euro Icebreaker shirt and it ripped after using it twice. Tencel is infinitely better for durability and comfort, at least for me it is.
>>
>>1046041
>What is the best /out/ clothing brand?

I don't know but the best /out/ clothing brand for poor anons is probably Decathlon/Quechua.
>>
>>1046686
Where are you getting polyester shirts for $4?
>>
>>1047031
Dick's. They just came out, pretty basic long-sleeve tee shirt.

That's after my 25% employee discount though. I think they're on sale currently for $7.98. Lemme check.
>>
>>1047033
>>1047031
Okay I was off by $2. They're $9.98 on sale right now.
>https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/reel-tech-mens-tech-long-sleeve-shirt-17xvtmmnstchlngslapt/17xvtmmnstchlngslapt
>>
Duluth or gtfo
>>
>>1046125
post more of her
>>
>>1046674
Yeah. Ford's moved on to Harley Davidson™ Edition™ since Eddie Bauer turned into hipster nigger shit.
>>
>>1046527
>>1046676
>>1046686
>>1046914

Icebreaker makes some good, loose-fitting merino wool outdoor shirts. I'm not a fan of the ones made to fit like spandex, but if you get a properly sized one, then they're nice. I happen to like the material because it breathes, can either be warm when layered or can keep your temperature regulated when it's hot outside, and it doesn't get stinky as quickly as most synthetics; however, it is not nearly as durable as synthetics. You will get holes, that's just part of owning wool shirts. As of yet, though, my two Icebreaker shirts which I've had for about 10 years and both of which have a couple small holes each, are still perfectly wearable and even presentable when clean.

As for cleaning, it's true that you're supposed to delicate cycle them and let them dry on a flat surface, but I just throw them in with other colors on cold and tumble them dry on low heat, and, again, I'm going on 10 years of these being my main outdoor shirts and wearing them around town pretty regularly, and both my shirts have survived just fine. If you want, I can post pictures. Neither shirt has many holes at all.
>>
>>1047112
I have yet to find a loose fitting merino shirt, I even tried one on that was 2 sizes bigger than my regular size and it was still skin tight. Like I said my (very expensive) Icebreaker shirt tore up after using it twice on a hiking trip, the back just ripped up when I was taking it off. If you can point me to a merino shirt that is loose fitting I'd be very happy to give it another go but for now merino is my least favorite textile for /out/ing.
>>
>>1046309
I'll shill for kuhl. Revolvr rogue is pretty great for all around dicking around
>>
>>1047117
These, for example, are going to be more loose fitting, as long as you're not really fat:
http://www.icebreaker.com/en/midlayers/aero-long-sleeve-half-zip/102064_WS.html?dwvar_102064__WS_color=003
http://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens/oasis-long-sleeve-half-zip/100477_WS.html?dwvar_100477__WS_color=G67
I don't know why yours ripped, sounds like user error to me. There's nothing inherently weaker about merino than cotton, for example, so if you rip merino shirts just taking them off, I would think that you might rip cotton shirts often too.
>>
>>1047117
Weird. I've got several smartwool shirts that I've worn intensively for 2 years now with no problems.
>>
File: IMG_20170325_180139.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_180139.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1046157
I really like mine, why are you so mean, anon?
>>
File: Vidda-Pro.jpg (123KB, 507x800px) Image search: [Google]
Vidda-Pro.jpg
123KB, 507x800px
>>1046190
I own around $600 worth of Fjallraven. It's quality but stupidly overpriced.
>>
>>1047352
Hey, Missourian. I'm going to be moving to the St. Louis area in a couple months. Is there any public land in the entire state (even if I have to drive 4 hours) where it's legal to set up steel plates or soda bottles wherever you like, basically making your own dispersed range, and shoot without any supervision or range rules? I know about Reifsnider, but they only allow paper targets now, and it seems like it's always pretty busy, no matter the time of year. Do you pretty much need to own private land if you want to shoot like this, or are there public spots in the state?
>>
>>1047354
$600 ? so you own a pair of pants.
>>
File: hi_five_meh.png (20KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
hi_five_meh.png
20KB, 493x402px
>>1047457
spot on, spot on
>>
>>1047440
Unfortunately, no. You aren't allowed to shoot on MCD land.
You could probably get away with it in bigger areas like Mark Twain.
The public ranges I've been to kinda suck too (crowded, no rapid fire).

Really, I'd recommend making friends with someone who has land.
>>
>>1047467
Know of any gun clubs that are pretty chill about just hanging out to shoot steel plates or setting up your own soda bottles for fun?
>>
>>1047468
I go to Outdoor Addicts around Joplin, but I don't know anything around St. Louis. Sorry.
>>
>>1047474
Joplin is pretty far. I will say that I know one range in the St. Louis area that allows rapid fire, but it's an indoor range, and it's $18 per person to shoot there (although +$5 for a second person on the same lane seems like a good deal for the area, if you are going with two people).
>>
File: IMG_3109.jpg (273KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3109.jpg
273KB, 800x600px
It's another "suburban outist greatly overspend on gear" thread.
>>
You people are over thinking things. Last time I went /out/, I wore/took
>cheap merino t-shirt (they sell them as thermals but Fuck you I do what I want) from Postie Plus
>North Face shorts from Op Shop
>Mountain Hardwear polar fleece from Op Shop
>Hunting & Fishing fleece that doesn't fit dad anymore
>Icebreaker woolen long johns from Op Shop
>woolen beanie from... Op Shop
>Smartwool socks from Op Shop
>Sprayway goretex jacket from clearance rack
>outdoor research gloves from clearance
>Asolo 535 boots (only thing I paid close to retail for)
>British army surplus Goretex OD Gaiters

I fucking love Op shops.

>>1047523
Looks like it's a bit of a kiwi thread now. It's funny to see all the Swanndri posters calling other people "yuppies" because I see so many fucking people who would meet the definition of "yuppies" wearing Swanndri shit around town. Swanndri is heavy, expensive, less warm than synthetics, awkward to clean and not even water repellent anymore. I own two Swanndri coats and I hardly ever wear them. There's better shit out there now and people need to move on.
>>
File: IMG_3110.jpg (38KB, 468x314px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3110.jpg
38KB, 468x314px
>>1047529
Yea I've noticed a fuck ton of my dairy farming mates buy into the swanndri hype, they're bush shirts are good for light hunting in the bush. But it's not a rain jacket and it's most certainly not a work shirt. The only reason they're iconic is because rain jackets used to rustle up until a couple of years ago.

Good bush hunting shirt but fuck useless for other stuff, especially walking through hills in a downpour. I don't you'd think this stuff would be common sense if you think about it for more then a couple seconds.
>>
File: 1496788317874.jpg (12KB, 294x273px) Image search: [Google]
1496788317874.jpg
12KB, 294x273px
>>1047457
>>1047458
Lol'd, not going to lie. Backpack, one coat, vidda and keb pants, belt. Definitely regret not going Osprey for the pack, but at least it doesn't look like a kindergarten toy so there's that. Complete bullshit that they're made in China. Bunch of lying swefags
>>
>>1047440
No, there isn't.

Around the STL area even public ranges are kinda thin. You've got Jay Henges, which is always busy, and supposedly the range at Busch should be re-opening this fall (it got closed for renovations in 2014 and was only supposed to be closed a year). Nowhere in the area is both open to the public and allows steel targets, you're gonna have to join either Arnold Gun Club or BRRC up in Wright City.

However, if you're a shotgun fag this place is awesome. STL Skeet and Trap offers literally every discipline of clays (trap, skeet, 5 stand, SC, bunker trap, Oly trap, Oly skeet, wobble trap, doubles trap, doubles wobble trap, international skeet), Henges has a really cheap trap range that's never busy, and Arnold Gun Club's trap range is open to the public and not too expensive. Then you have the World Shooting Complex over in Sparta.
>>
Aesthetic and Affordable > Affordable >>>>>>>>>>>>> Aesthetic
>>
>>1046671
>Still, you're going to be paying $380+ for anything legitimate.

No, not really.

Their Squamish jacket is pretty legitimate and it can be had for less than a hundred. I have one and it is going on nearly four years of climbing service (with minor wear and tear, sure)

Their atom lt is fantastic for high activity sports in really cold weather and that too can be had for less than $200

The only things that are over three hundred are their goretex shells with all the bells and whistles.

Hell their alpha sl and beta sl can be had for less than three hundred and they're legit as heck.

Not to mention if you try a little, you can typically score any dead bird item for 30% off.

But yeah good luck beating others to it.
>>
>Mammut
>Patagonia
>Craghoppers
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.