[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion about aluminum canoes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: s-l1000.jpg (126KB, 800x601px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
126KB, 800x601px
What is your opinion about aluminum canoes?
>>
They're great if you have to store it outside.
>>
I have one from the 60s and its still solid they're great. Pretty heavy but I am 5'6 and can lift it on and load it on top of my car alone so its not too bad. Any healthy person should be able to carry it by themselves for 100 meters or more easily.
>>
fibreglass is more durable tho
>>
>>1045970
They serve their purpose but I'd rather have a kayak.
>>
>>1045982
Wouldn't a canoe be more comfortable for fishing/moving things?
>>
>>1046005
Moving things yes, their much greater capacity (both weight and bulk) is their big benefit over kayaks.

Fishing I don't think so, since you're either fully seated or fully standing when fishing in a kayak instead of kneeling. I hate kneeling in canoes, and they don't always have seats and never have the stability to actually fish well from the seat if they do have them.
>>
>>1046014
You can stand in a canoe easily, and poling up rivers is fucking GOAT compared to kayaks.
>>
>>1045977
Not really.
>>
>>1046343
Agreed on the ability to stand, but disagreed on the ability to both stand and fight a fish while standing. I've tried it, most of the people I know have tried it. Even the little 12-15" hammer-handle pike up in the Boundary Waters are enough to seriously rock a 17' canoe with 1 person standing and fishing and 2 people kneeling.
>>1045977
Fiberglass is slightly more impact resistant at the cost of being degraded by UV light and being significantly more prone to abrasion. They're also generally heavier. They won't last as long under routine usage, but they're a viable option for some people.
>>
File: kanoflåde.jpg (717KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
kanoflåde.jpg
717KB, 2048x1152px
makes neat rafts, not very comfy sleeping under the bars with a swimming vest on, should have brought thicker sleeping mat.

we anchored it out in the middle of that river
>>
>>1046358
and this is how the canoes were fastened together
>>
File: kanoflåde konstruktion.jpg (962KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
kanoflåde konstruktion.jpg
962KB, 2048x1152px
>>1046362
>>
>>1046363
awesome
>>
I took one on an 80 mile trip when I was in the scouts, we got flipped out on a snag but the canoe was heavy enough that it righted itself.
>>
File: op.jpg (70KB, 638x473px) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
70KB, 638x473px
>>1046343
you again?
>>
>>1046445
>>1046471
Put more weight low in your canoe and it will become more stable. The plumb stem and stern means that the only thing more mass does is make paddling easier because you have inertia to keep you going.

You seriously need way more weight in your canoes. Of course it will be tippy when the only weight in it is 30lbs of cooler and 300lbs of retards sitting on the benches.
>>
>>1046751
(cont) and because you're probably idiots don't use lead weights. Use your gear or water ballast (jugs of water, coolers of water, whatever). Next time you go canoe fishing bring 3 full size coolers, fill one with ice for your fish, the other with ice for your drinks and the last with water ballast. You'll notice a difference from when it was just 2-3 retards with a tackle box and poles.
>>
>>1046358
>>1046363
Det ser sgu hyggeligt ud ;)
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.