[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homestead General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: montana.jpg (76KB, 620x418px) Image search: [Google]
montana.jpg
76KB, 620x418px
Let's talk about homesteading.
>>
My plan is to join the army for 5 years, save as much money as possible, work a little when I'm done to keep saving, learn as much about farming, survival, plants, etc. in my freetime, then buy some land and build a house.
>>
>>1045952
Finding a like minded qt will help a lot too.
>>
is that a neo faggot shack?
>>
As I understand it, it's extremely /comfy/ in theory, but in practice subsistence agriculture is so labor-intensive that most people who set out to do it give up eventually.
>>
>>1045958
Well, having the house and land would still be worth it and then just using welfare or an easy part time job for food.
>>
>>1045958
>this

You fall asleep from exhaustion and a hailstorm comes and beats all your corn to shreds, so you have to tell the wife and kids that won't be any corn this year because it is too late to replant, and they just stare at you like WTF.

Shit is physically horrific and emotionally draining. Watch Skillcult on youtube, that guy is going to put an axe between his eyes and end it any day now.
>>
>>1045952
>save while in the army
HA
>>
i'm always at a loss for words when it comes to survival on this level. i mean, we're told to have a diverse diet of vegetables, meat, dairy, etc...and people like this live off of...pigs and corn? where did people get broccoli in the 1800s? asparagus? rice? corn? etc?

the logistics of diet blow my mind.
>>
>>1045979
explain
>>
>>1045985
you can get a diverse enough diet off your own land
what do you think our ancestors did 150 years ago? They weren't eating rice, asparagus and peanuts unless they could grow it themselves.
My parents actually grew up in the rural areas of Yugoslavia until they were around 12 years old.
I remember my mum telling me that throughout her 12 years there, she ate a single orange. My grandmother went to the big city once, and brought back a single orange as a present for the kids.
>>
>>1045985
They had pretty severe health problems, my dude
>>
>>1045985
They didn't get any broccoli. People lived to like 35, in part because their diet was shit.
>>
>>1046003
Life expectancies from the medieval ages are misleading due to the high rates of childhood mortality.

If you lived long enough to see 12, you had a pretty good chance of seeing 50.

This being said, most people who lived in between the agricultural revolution and the industrial revolution were mildly to severely malnourished.

In fact, a lot of people still are. Infectious disease burden and malnutrition in poor countries drives down life expectancy and IQ.
>>
>>1045979

t. private who blew his basic money on a new mustang
>>
>>1045997
>>1046050
There's a cadence that comes to mind
>they pay a hundred dollars and take back 99

Besides that, you'll make like MAYBE 1.9k a month, minus your permanent living expenses like toiletries and sometimes uniform items. You can save money by ONLY eating mres and never leaving the barracks, but at that point, why not just get a fucking mcjob and be an incel?

You won't save money in the army unless you do 20 years and so a 401k, army isn't a magic eject button when you can't make it irl, it's just another job
>>
>>1045985
>have a passel of chickens for eggs and the occasional yardbirb fry
>have a goat for milk/cheese, they'll literally eat anything
>crop rotations were a thing, even if you only had a few acres you'd still have that divided between usually a tuber crop and a grain crop, plus your household-use garden with veggies, plus wild-picked fruits (usually berries unless you were lucky enough to live near apple trees).
>>
>>1046156
Okay and you have the potential to save like 1.7k of that 1.9k a month because your only mandatory expenses are your uniform, cell phone (some divisions make you have one, it's NOT optional), and toiletries. You don't have to have a car, you will live within usually a few hundred feet of your workplace and at most no further than half a mile from it. They provide your housing and utilities. They provide you 3 meals a day either through access to the DFAC or food while innafield.

Not to mention if you get deployed you get your hazardous duty pay, everything's tax free, and you have even less opportunity to spend money. And of course you get both time-in-service and promotion raises, so at the end of your second year in (assuming you weren't such a shitbag you kept getting demoted) you're an E4 your BASE PAY ALONE is $2200 a month. By the end of 5 years you should be at least an E5 and possibly an E6 and you're making $2670+ a month in base pay (plus BAH plus BAS plus a pittance of a uniform allowance plus the possibility of location pay plus any special skills pay).

I was in 9.8 years and banked over 100k as enlisted, while still taking vacations and having a nice (but not high-end luxury) car, internet in my barracks room, and booze in the fridge. Where people fuck up are buying new cars with no money down and a 35% interest rate from the first dealership right outside the gate, and going to the bars 3 nights a week at $100-250 per night because they absolutely have to get legit shitfaced off their $6 bottles of Bud Light or $20 mixed drinks that're mostly soda.
>>
File: 213213.png (243KB, 920x319px) Image search: [Google]
213213.png
243KB, 920x319px
>>1045951
>they call it "homesteading"
>I call it "normal farm life".

I never really understood this "fad" name. I mean all you do it buy some property, drill a well, install a septic system, build a house, start a vegetable garden, and raise animals. Preferably animal breeds that don't need high maintenance or large tracts of land. Though the latter is more dependent on how many animals you own and what type of feed you want to feed them (like grain crops). Grazing & foraging animals are best.

Maybe "homesteading" comes from all the apartment renters?
>>
>>1046162
I was planning on doing OCS after school and saving just like you desu
>>
>>1046166
The term "homesteading" comes from the fact that when you homestead you basically just go out to the middle of nowhere, and literally claim a random piece of land as your own.

However, in the U.S. the only place where homesteading is still legal is Alaska. MAYBE one or two other places depending on the exact state and county laws. But everywhere else it's illegal. You can build a house, put in a septic system, all of that. And the government still has every legal right to kick you off of their property.

And you had better pray to whatever god you believe in that you didn't homestead on the land of a fellow civilian who can take your ass to court and sue you for damages to their property.
>>
>>1046026
You can't drive down IQ, the average will always be 100.
>>
>>1045951
go to montana, 160 acres
best state
>>
>>1046216
>And the government still has every legal right to kick you off of their property.
Even if you own the land?
>>
>>1046166
goats are hardier than cows during winter. go with goats.
>>
I'm thinking of getting some cheap ass piece of land in Murmansk Oblast and build a dacha, is it difficult to buy land in Russia as a foreigner?
>>
>>1046858
In Africa the average us 70
>>
Go be a dairy farmer for 5 years, trust me your fantasies will fly out the window. Get a suburb house and a block of land to fuck about in. Also thr army is not going to save you much money, youre better off with a trade. I was infantry for 6 years, one of my biggest regret was joining the army.
>>
>>1049399
FUCK YEAH, TRADES!
Becoming a self-employed tradesman was the best decision I made in my life.
>>
>>1049399
Well I'm doing cyber security and already have education in the field. I'm not a fucking idiot who will be jobless when I'm out like you.
>>
>>1049450
Im already out, im a plasterer now. Living the easy life, and no Inwasnt a full retard back then I had jobs and skills before the army.
>>
>>1049416
How long have you been self employed? I'm an electrician and I'm branching out into HVAC and I'd like to start on my own in a couple of years.
>>
>>1049337
Farming is where you locate a nice piece of land, and legally purchase it from it's current owner. Regardless of who that owner is, a fellow civilian, a logging company, or the government.

Homesteading is walking out into the middle of nowhere, staking a claim on a piece of land you like, without paying anyone a single cent.

So no, if you paid the government for your property they can not kick you off because you have all of the legal documents to prove it is yours.

But if you are homesteading on someone elses property then it doesn't matter how damn good that cabin you built with your own two hands is. It's legally no different than kicking a hobbo out of someone's garage.
>>
Any good guides on how to do this? I have 3 other guys that could help me, I have 145 acres of land and plenty of trees. I'm not really planning on living in this, but more building it as a comfy place to stay innawoods for a few days at a time. I plan on buying a cabin shell to actually live in.
>>
>>1049334
What about bears? I don't have an FAL to defend myself and my wife's son.
>>
>>1050382
>myself and my wife's son
>my wife's son

>>1050359
The first thing you want to do is prevent forest fires. So go around and thin out the trees so they are not too crowded. Try your best to only chop down sickly trees, trees that have split trunks or are going to fall over during a strong storm, etc.

After that, chop down all branches close to the ground. These branches are the main reason why forest fires spread so hot and so fast. Because the flames climb from the lower branches up to the top of the tree where the wind spreads the embers. No branches low to the ground, no flames to spread.

After this, take all of the cut down trees and turn them into firewood. Then take all of the smaller trees and branches and burn them to make charcoal. You can do whatever you want with the charcoal, the point is not to leave the raw wood laying around to fuel forest fires.

Personally I would crush up the charcoal into small pieces, soak it for a couple of weeks in a mixture that is half water half animal manure, then use that to improve garden beds or the soil where you plan in planting fruit trees or whatnot. As long as you make sure to give the charcoal all the nitrogen it wants before you put it in the ground then it makes an excellent long lasting fertilizer. And I mean long lasting, like 70 to 80 years. But only if it's 10% or more charcoal.
>>
>>1050382
protip: bears are gay
true story
>>
>>1049767
>Homesteading is walking out into the middle of nowhere, staking a claim on a piece of land you like, without paying anyone a single cent.

I've always known that to be squatting. Homesteading rights are totally different tha squatters rights
>>
>>1046216
Where I live, in the USA, you can legally occupy a residence or property on someone else's property. The owner has to run you off. If they don't run you off after x amount of years, you legally own the property. Lots of farmers like to move their fencing over onto other people's property here without telling anyone about it. After a few years they claim the land as their own.

I had to remove 12 miles of fencing and install 12 miles of fencing to correct a property line specifically when I bought my property here. I caught the neighbor next door red handed. Had I not done anything, he'd have stolen about 730ish acres from me.

A friend of mine had someone move in a double wide, set up a septic system, electric, well, level the land on his back acreage, installed a road, and set up a mailbox. He didn't know about it until like 2 years later because his property is massive. He ended up having his farm hands pick up the guy and his family and burn the house and 2 outbuildings to the ground. He bulldozed everything into the septic pit, threw horse manure down the well, and bulldozed it over.

Now, my friend uses a helicopter to fly over both of our properties twice a month. He found 3 different pot farms. lol

>>1049337
Google, "Eminent Domain." you can fight them if you want. You can even use weapons if you want, but you'll have the full force of the government coming down on you. Most people tie it up in legal shit for years but nearly always lose.
>>
>>1050393
Not the guy you're responding to, but thanks for the information.
>>
>>1050574
cool
fucking poor people
>>
>>1050574
>friend of mine had someone move in a double wide, set up a septic system, electric, well, level the land on his back acreage, installed a road, and set up a mailbox. He didn't know about it until like 2 years later because his property is massive

Literally begging to be murdered.
>>
>>1045951
You cant homestead anymore.
>>
Join the military but take advantage of their system so you can get a TRADE while there. Having a good trade will make you enough money to pursue the lifestyle you want.
>>
had a nice garden, trying a big fuck you garden in august. not really much point unless shtf vegetables are dirt cheap.
>>
>>1045973
I hope he doesn't. His channel is so much more informative and comfy than wangerstar playing tractor with his logging helmet
>>
>>1049767
>So no, if you paid the government for your property they can not kick you off because you have all of the legal documents to prove it is yours.
Until the government wants it for whatever reason.

Oh, big multinational oil company wants to run a pipeline through it? Guess what? The government will seize the land without paying you anything, kick you off of it, and shoot you if you refuse to leave.

Oh, a big multinational tech/pharma firm wants to build an "eco friendly" office building on it so they can say they mow their grass with sheep? Guess what? The government will seize the land without paying you anything, kick you off of it, and shoot you if you refuse to leave.

Oh, a single endangered species decided to move in on that tree in your front yard? Guess what? The government will seize the land without paying you anything, kick you off of it, and shoot you if you refuse to leave.

Oh, you didn't pay some real or imagined tax regardless of whether it was intentional, an oversight, clerical error, computer fuckup, lost mail, or government corruption? Guess what? The government will seize the land without paying you anything, kick you off of it, and shoot you if you refuse to leave.
>>
>>1051188
If even a fraction of this is true then americans truly are the most cucked people on earth. So much for "muh freedoms"
>>
>>1045979
degenerate with no self control detected stop fucking sluts in countries you are stationed in and you can save heaps
>>
>>1051188
He doesn't have landmines set up on his property top pleb
>>
So I'm seeing a bit of bad stuff about outdoor growing, so why not either just grow like potatoes outdoors (they can survive in hail, no?) then grow other stuff in a green house or hoop house, maybe even a few potted plants around? Green houses are pretty difficult to aquire and maintain, but in theory, if a person stuck to it long enough, could he survive or even flourish without having to go out to get his food? He'd have to work a part time job at least to keep the greenhouse going, am I right? Or could he start a business selling the same lot of veggies and shit he grows, perhaps implementing aquaponic and the like for his plants? I'd imagine this would take years of intense dedication and heart break, but what do you guys think?
>>
>>1053194
Are you asking if it's possible to grow vegetables?
>>
>>1052478
The state can use eminent domain, but they must compensate the landowner for the land and any structures on the land. They can't take it without paying for it. This guy is retarded.
>>
File: 20150421__26rhkjw~1_500.jpg (24KB, 500x292px) Image search: [Google]
20150421__26rhkjw~1_500.jpg
24KB, 500x292px
>>1045951
Montana here, that shit looks like hell. Homesteaders where I'm at had access to all the rivers lakes and mountains you could desire. Then again I'm from Western Montana not Eastern.
>>
>>1053235
That picture is from Montana
>>
>>1053235
Montana Eastfag here.
Parents and grandparents were farmers, pioneers would just build houses and shacks in the middle of the plains and farm right outside of it. A lot of the old pictures spook me just how desolate they are
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.