[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does moisture wicking clothing actually work for any of you?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (44KB, 235x268px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 235x268px
Does moisture wicking clothing actually work for any of you? I've tried using it or wearing long sleeve shirts that are supposed to help keep me cooler underneath my Columbia fishing button down and honestly it just makes me feel hotter and stuffier. Any advice?
>>
>>1045058
Absolutely works for socks and shirts but not in the way you stated. It just prevents me from feeling sweaty and having clothing stick to me when it's hot and humid out. I don't think it does much for actual temperature as evaporating sweat is how we cool ourselves, if the moisture is wicked away then that evaporation isn't cooling you as much.

It's more about the comfort in the heat and lack of blisters for socks.
>>
I've never used it in long sleeves or layered between things because that's not what I wear when it's hot. But I can tell you from working construction in unfinished houses in the South Carolina summmer, they do keep you considerbly cooler, but that may just be because you don't have shirt stuck to you. they dramatically cut down on sweat, and feels alot nicer and more comfortable when you sweat. Although you will feel more grimy and dirty underneath, but its worth it. And they usually don't tarnish and rag up like normal cotten, and when you take them off and sling them in the hamper they don't stink like a old sweaty tee.
With that said, when I'm /out/ I go for a tee or a button up. I deal with the sweat, and enjoy being warmer at night. But I wouldn't say moister wicking would be a bad idea.
I mean they help, it's comfyer, but it's not a life changer or anything.
>>
It absolutely does. The difference between a plain cotton t and a merino t is night and day in terms of staying cool.
>>
>>1045058
cotton is the best wicking stuff that keeps you cool at summer.
>>
>>1045058
Nope, shit products, just wear natural fibers and fewer layers. Adding more layers increases the amount of time your sweat takes to reach open air to evaporate and cool you. For best evaporative cooling, bare skin is best. Places with high humidity will help prevent sweat from evaporating and cooling you properly, regardless of what you are wearing or not wearing.

If you must wear something and don't want to feel icky, use merino wool products. They are usually ultra thin (base layer stuff) and don't get funky. Stay away from synthetics at all costs.

>>1045391
Merino is just wool. I think OP is talking about stuff like,

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/moisture-wicking-fabrics/

Sad fact is, all porous fiber fabrics wick moisture away. That's the very nature of fiber. The term "moisture wicking" is just a gimmick marketing term intended to make their clothing "super special!" so they can nab your money.
>>
>>1045058
Think about what you're wearing it under.
>>
If you want feel cooler, get light colored cotton or wool (blends). There are some newer synthetic fabrics that work like Polartec Delta but it is fragile as fuck.

It doesn't hurt to try different materials and decide for our self which makes you feel the coolest.
>>
>>1045058
>Does moisture wicking clothing actually work for any of you? I've tried using it or wearing long sleeve shirts that are supposed to help keep me cooler underneath my Columbia fishing button down and honestly it just makes me feel hotter and stuffier. Any advice?

Skin tight spandex-like gear like you're describing is really intended for high-calorie-burning activities only. Running, bicycling, playing sports. If you aren't sweating, for example if you're just standing around fishing, then that kind of stuff won't do anything.
>>
>>1045058
Merino wool is moisture wicking and fucking amazing. There are no synthetics that actually work like this, some of it is very quick drying but only natural materials will actually do what you expect from something calling itself moisture wicking. Merino is the very best and beats cotton by far, but costs more and is less durable. Linen is also nice, and can be found at a much lower price point than merino.
>>
Nah...just get a cooling towel or bandanna and wet it with melting ice or cold water from your ice chest or cooler. Put it on the back of your neck round the shoulders. Works great.
>>
>>1048590
Alpaca is great if you know someone who knits. More durable than merino but just as light and just as effective. Also so much cheaper.
>>
>>1045058
so you covered the evaporation layer under a shell, and expected it to work? think about this.

the short answer is yes, they work far better at keeping you dry than cotton or linen, which absorb water at a molecular level and require significant amounts of energy to dry out.

http://besthiking.net/comparison-of-base-layer-materials/
>>
File: IMG_6007.jpg (56KB, 361x255px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6007.jpg
56KB, 361x255px
>>1045058
Just dress like the Egyptians in the desert. Seems to work well for them
>>
>>1048605
i love linen, fuck off
>>
I dont bother with it outside of winter. I use cotton every other season, never had any issue. You just need to understand that you'll be warmer in the rain with no shirt, than you would with a cotton shirt. People overstate its danger.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.