[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homemade gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: bivy-bag-1.jpg (74KB, 1280x489px) Image search: [Google]
bivy-bag-1.jpg
74KB, 1280x489px
Does /out/ make any of its own gear? Thinking about doing something similar to pic related.
>>
No they don't. Even the retards here know it costs twice as much for something inferior
>>
>>1044836
>corporate shill
>>
>>1044850

Did I hurt your feefees? Grow up kiddo
>>
>>1044856
>nothing personal, kid
kys
>>
I often take a self-made A-frame tent that packs into an 18" cardboard tube.

It's made from waterproofed tarp and collapsible aluminum rods.
>>
>>1044859
>>1044856
>>1044850
>>1044836
Fucking stop are you both ten
Do you have sewing experience or what OP
>>
>>1044811
A basic (flat) bug bivy is easy to make. Just cut a piece of bug netting and a piece of waterproof nylon to size and sew up around the perimeter with a zipper wherever you like.
It's difficult to make a shaped mini tent like in your picture unless you have access to something suitable to use as a cross pole and a little patience to make it work with your creation, but best of luck in the venture.

>>1044836
>>1044856
Unless you are counting the cost of re-making a piece of gear several times before perfecting your skills, no, it does not cost more, and if OP has the patience to put up with faggots on 4chan, he has the patience to learn sewing.
>>
>>1044811
This is something I've recently got into myself. I really enjoy modding bags and bits and bobs for suiting my individual needs or cutting useless weight.
A tent is my next project actually, might post up the progress if you're interested.
>>
>>1044912
Did you teach yourself to sew? I have a machine but no knowledge
>>
>>1044925
Not him, but I've made some gear myself, and I learned to sew in half a semester of Home Ec class way back in middle school. It's not a huge hurdle to get yourself up to speed to the point where you can start making gear, but it might help if you had someone to show you how to use a sewing machine. They are not straightforward devices, IMO. Do you have a mother or aunt who regularly wears a dress, cooks for her family, knows how to clean, or has any other seemingly feminine traits? It might not hurt to ask them to show you the ropes.
>>
>>1044811
I've made a few simple things. A gathered-end hammock, a rectangular rainfly for it, and a pack cover.

I've got a hand-me-down Singer sewing machine from the late 50's and have been doing basic clothing repair since I was like 10 because I grew up poor and rural and had to, so I'm actually pretty decent with it.
>>
I've made own hammock and aframe, but it's fair weather camping deal.
>>1044899
Not to mention sewing is a useful skill that every outdoorsman regardless, at least to the extent to repair your own gear.
>>
>>1044811
I tried to start a MYOG thread some time back, but it seems to be something that would be accepted better on /diy/.
>>
>>1045356
Indeed, if you can sew then you can do emergency repairs whilst on the trail and don't have to worry. A small sewing kit is an essential item imo
>>
Would it be hard to make a raincover for your backpack out of silnylon? Seems like something easy to do to save expenses on.
>>
>>1045555
It can range from "sew 1 line total" to quite easy depending on style.
>>
>>1045555
just use a garbage bag
>>
File: IMG_20170626_071741648.jpg (2MB, 1664x936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170626_071741648.jpg
2MB, 1664x936px
>>1044811
I've slowly been imagining my perfect tarp. Slept out in a Stealth 1 a lot this summer and it's great but there are a few changes I would like. Going to try and sketch is out this week. I know I can just mod my bug net but will need to make the tarp from scratch.

MYOG is awesome as everyone looks for something a little different from gear.
>>
>>1044811
No, because I can't compete with chinese child labor
>>
>>1044811
I am trying to make a tent for a hike in the arctic, but I think I have given up. I leave in two days, and the original tent was ruined by my cat, the second concept tent is too small, and I don't know if I have it in me to make a third tent tomorrow. I don't know how to sew, I started sewing for the first time in my life two weeks ago. I taught myself, and I am not good at it. but try it, it is WAY cheaper, kinda fun, and you can get stuff that is WAY lighter than what you can buy. But that bug shelter in your pic costs $40 ish bucks, not a bad deal.
let me give you some words of wisdom:
>silnylon makes a good rainfly
>Don't use silnylon for the tent floor, it is too frail. my cat walked across it and the silnylon was full of holes.
> I recommend that you buy the bug bivy and then sew a rainfly for it out of silnylon.
> ripstopbytheroll . com is where I got all my fabric and stuff
>>
>>1047271
you can patch the holes with a patch of silnylon glued with silicone caulk diluted with a bit of ethanol. it'll get the job done for your trip.
>>
>>1047271

>it is WAY cheaper

You have wasted $100 and still don't have a tent. At least you kinda had fun tho
>>
>>1047271
>my cat walked across it and the silnylon was full of holes
Don't cats normally retract their claws when they're walking? Your cat was being a dick on purpose.
>>
File: African_Jansport.jpg (46KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
African_Jansport.jpg
46KB, 500x375px
>>1046183
>>
>>1044870
Mind posting pictures of the Aframe? Does it have bug nets? Also where did you get the collapsible rods?
>>
>>1044899
a bug bivy is useless if the net lies on your face. itll keep a snake out of your sack (not like they move at night) but mosquitoes will still bite you
>>
>>1047947

>where did you get the collapsible rods?

From a tent
>>
>>1047271
Cool
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.