[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 50

File: 1498209260711.jpg (106KB, 600x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1498209260711.jpg
106KB, 600x1078px
#170-"Who?" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>1041773

Thinking about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
I'm downsizing and have a lot of bass tackle to get rid of.

Any suggestions? Anybody want?
>>
Holy drat she a qt
>>
>>1044098
I'll take it off your hands
>>
>>1044109
Ok, it's a lot of random stuff. How can we get in contact and you pay shipping?
>>
>>1044113
Got a paypal?
>>
>>1044117
Email me here: [email protected]
>>
>>1044117
Yes

Gimme a bit and I'll take a pic of everything to see if you want it before paying. Doing a little house work right now...
>>
>>1044119
>>1044122
Email sent, no problem :D
>>
>>1044124
Not op
>>
I saw a video clip where a guy was kayak fishing, and when he started reeling the fish in his kayak was being pulled by the fish. Do people not anchor kayaks?
>>
>>1044098
yes i would love some crankbaits if u got those am poor rn :)|
>>
>>1044127
Not always. If it's calm there's really no need to.

Getting towed around by fish can be fun as well.
>>
File: IMG_20170623_133538306.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170623_133538306.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1044119
>>
>>1044164
Looks good mang. Should all fit in a small USPS flat-rate mailer.

Hit me up at my response email with some way to pay you :D
>>
>>1044127
I think I know what video you're talking about, didn't he hook a sailfish or something?
>>
>>1044181
I sent an email to

[email protected]
>>
>>1044127
A lot of people uses the mobile but stealthy aspect of kayak for moving around for trolling. Also, the kayak pull works as secondary drag for big fish and also shorten the fight as the fish doesn't take as much lines out compared to relying on drag alone. It gives fishes less time to recover again.
>>
>>1044127
>I saw a video clip where a guy was kayak fishing, and when he started reeling the fish in his kayak was being pulled by the fish. Do people not anchor kayaks?

It depends...

1) Drifting over structure with lines in the water is a very effective way of locating fish. This require you to not be anchored.

2) If you have a big fish on and they're pulling drag, it's very much advisable to unhook your anchor and let the fish pull you around so you don't break/run out of line and also tire the fish out faster.

3) Pulling up your anchor after hooking a fish can be time consuming and result in a lost fish. Most people have a float on their line so that they can locate and recover their anchor after they've detached it.
>>
>>1044127
>kayak was being pulled by the fish
That's known as a Nantucket sleigh ride
>>
What companies are you guys investing in?
>>
>>1044227

Shimano.
>>
>>1044227

Zebco.
>>
if im catfishing using a circlehook should my drag be set?

or do i want the fish to run with the bait then set my drag then reel ect
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1044227
>the only correct answer

Also Shimano wouldn't be bad since they're so diverse
>>
>>1044227
Pfizer
>has paid dividends for 105 years straight
Guess people really like their boner pills.
>>
>>1044239
Keep your drag set. The way circle hooks work, as long as you keep tension in the line the hook will set itself when the fish hits.
>>
>>1044239

I personally leave my drag low or spool open as a catfish will often bite the bait and take off with it without actually getting the actual hook in it's mouth.

That's because when putting bait on a circle hook, you always want to leave as much of the actual hook exposed as possible (pic related). That means that unless the fish just totally inhales the bait at once, it might not have the hook far enough in its mouth where simply moving away will result in a proper hook set. It may have to swim for a couple seconds to work the bait down further in its mouth.

You also want to ensure the fishing is moving away from you, because if it's headed towards you, reeling in with a circle hook will more often than not simply pull the hook out of the fish's mouth without a hookset. Or it can just be investigating it and not committed to eating it yet and when you reel in, you're taking the bait away from it.

When I see a fish is starting to run with the bait, I give it a couple seconds to close bail/set drag, and determine direction, THEN start reeling.
>>
>>1044227
Altria and RJ Reynolds
>those hefty dividend checks
>>
I see people put bobber stops on texas rigged worms and craws, but would this logic work with lizards or should the weight be free to move?
>>
>>1044349
Pinned weights are best for flipping into cover. If you're just covering water let it be free.
>>
>>1044356
Alright thanks, man.
>>
File: 1498159423570.jpg (296KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1498159423570.jpg
296KB, 768x1024px
Yesterdays catch
>>
my friggin fenwick eagle snapped 6 inches above the spot you put the pieces together...

luckily i got a credit for what i paid and 20% off my next rod

got a st croix 7 ft rod to replace it
>>
File: broke my rod.jpg (527KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
broke my rod.jpg
527KB, 1080x1920px
>>1044418
here's the bass that broke it

really disappointed since i really liked that rod
>>
p dead itt...
>>
>>1044094
I WOULD SPREAD HER OUT LIKE A BLANKET AND LAY IN TO HER LIKE A JOHN DEERE TRACTOR IN A IOWA CORNFIELD
>>
>>1044432
I actually went fishing for like an hour, at one of the impossible lakes to catch shit at unless you hit the perfect pressure front. Super clear water with that rocky dropoff. Didn't even have any hits from Mayans on some smaller jerkbaits. But today was the first day with no rain and sun throughout in a couple weeks so I'm sure the pressure is super high or something shitty.

It was mostly an excuse to stop for a coffee once it got later.
>>
>>1044456
Yeah that there's a next level fishfu
>>
>>1044457
Shoulda used the Mepps.
>>
mepps suck ass

my best lure is honestly a $1.99 white spinnerbait with a colorado blade on it

I've bought at least 4 of them so far
>>
>>1044472
Maybe a smaller one for some reaction strikes, but they aren't exactly the best in super clear water.

>>1044485
This anon is clearly retarded
>>
>>1044499
you need at least a dozen mepps to catch even a single fish

a simple spinnerbait will catch multiple species
>>
>>1044501
>I have no idea what I'm talking about and just trying to get people riled up, the post.
>>
>>1044511
>implying im wrong
>>
>>1044514
Inline spinners catch more species than regular wire-arm spinnerbaits.

Mepps is one of if not the best of the inline spinners.

You wrong m8.
>>
>>1044529
sure it catches more species if you've got a large selection but for freshwater you can catch a good sized pike/walleye/bass on a white spinner
>>
>>1044539
And you can catch pike, pickerel, muskie, smb, lmb, rock bass/warmouth, kentucky bass, white bass, striped bass, yellow bass, snakehead, bowfin, longnose gar, alligator gar, walleye, sauger, saugeye, yellow perch, white perch, crappie, bluegill, redears, green sunfish, shellcrackers, pumpkinseeds, mayans, common carp, asian carp, every species of trout on the globe, and most inshore/surf saltwater fish on a #2 Aglia.

They literally don't even come close to comparing.
>>
>>1044540
i mean i could list off more species that a white spinner can catch but basically for the price and simplicity of use it's a better buy
>>
File: bigsturgeon.png (531KB, 640x655px) Image search: [Google]
bigsturgeon.png
531KB, 640x655px
>>
>>1044577
fkin mexicans
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>1044514
Ok, let me say it outright: you're wrong.

You're completely and utterly wrong, and to such a ridiculous exten that everybody now thinks you're a blithering idiot talking out of your ass. It's so comically wrong that nobody's going to take seriously anything else you have to say for the rest of the thread.

That's how wrong you are.

Better?
>>
>>1044349
I just use a split shot. Normally the less weight the better but weightless is just too slow. Bigger sinkers put them on the bottom too fast imo. (Fishing rivers)
>>
>>1044227
Only the freshest of memes on /biz/
>>
>>1044227
Why would you I invest in a fishing company?
Do you see them becoming bigger in the future?
>>
File: trout.jpg (30KB, 440x660px) Image search: [Google]
trout.jpg
30KB, 440x660px
So apparently in the early 90's there was a special stocking of trout in NJ. Can anyone speak to the trout situation in NJ?
>>
>>1044712
I was wondering why you wanted to know that until I saw the picture. I could ask around maybe,im a new angler so don't know much about the history.

It could be about lake trout in RV or Merrill creek.
>>
>>1044712
NJ stocks trout in most of their rivers every year.

Here's how much they stocked where this year
http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/trt_allocation17_dates.htm?prompt=0
>>
>>1044711
Kek
Do you understand how big is the fishing business? Specially the one dedicated to bass fishing.
>>
>>1044418
Have you fished the St. Croix yet? If so, how is it? I've always heard good things.
I've got a couple of Denalis right now, I have an older abu that I'm looking to replace.
>>
>>1044107
>>1044456
>>1044471

Charlotte Kemp Muhl

Image search... Waifu detected... dammit I'm not supposed to be tapping when I come to /out/
>>
>>1044736
Not him, but I've pretty much settled on St Croix and Fenwick. I've had zero complaints of any I've owned. My 7ft medium/fast St Croix managed to pull in a huge cat once that had the tip of the rod touching the side of my boat a couple times, all while being very sensitive too.
>>
>>1044740
I think the St. Croix is going to be my next purchase. I need a new spinning rod. I'll be getting it either today, or tomorrow. I'm planting my ass at the lake for the next week. The in-laws just bought a brand new Ranger, so I'm going to help them christen it.
>>
>>1044736
it's pretty nice

not quite as sensitive as my fenwick but still really good
>>
>>1044418
Which St. Croix?
>>
>>1044747
http://www.tackledirect.com/st-croix-trs70mf2-triumph-spinning-rod.html
>>
>>1044735
I do understand how big it is but I'm not knowledgeable about investing. I figure that it's peaked and companies that are well known are just going to dominate, not any new companies. I'm wrong in that case I guess
>>
What makes meme rods fade away?
When I first got into fishing every store carried like 100 Carrot Stix, then the meme rod was Skeet Reese, now it appears to be Duckett Ghosts.
>>
>>1044761
Carrot stix got bought out and became trash (may be better now), new skeet Reese stuff is meh, and the duckett rods are super decent for the price.
>>
>>1044766
Have you ever used H2O Express or All Star rods? I've only ever seen them at Academy and was wondering if they out perform similarly priced rods.
>>
>>1044754
>I figure that it's peaked and companies that are well known are just going to dominate, not any new companies. I'm wrong in that case I gues

There's always some new fad in fishing that people jump on. Like most any hobby.
>>
>>1044770
It's Academys store brand. I haven't used any of the rods, but they look decent enough. The h2o hooks aren't half bad besides being thicc as hell and I like their tungsten bullet weights.

Iirc academy has a really good return policy on rods, so if you don't like it you can take it back and exchange it.
>>
>>1044770
The higher end All-Star stuff is solid. H2O is basically rebranded Shimano. I worked for Academy for a few years while I finished my degree. I hate their corporate policies, and all, but they do have very solid store brand products.
>>
>>1044791
Are their reels also rebranded Shimano?
>>
>>1044735
It's pretty big, but it's also VERY fragmented and competitive. Unless you're Rapala, Pure Fishing or the parent company of Rebel/Bomber/Arbogast/ Yum baits/Etc, most of the nationally and internationally famous lure companies aren't very big. It doesn't take much expensive technology to pour lead jigheads or injection mold worms.
I grew up in South Florida close to DOA Lures, and right after the local paper announced that their shrimp lure had been picked up by Walmart and distributed nationwide, I decided to drive by their hq. It was the size of a two-bay auto repair shop.
>>
>>1044818
Most people grossly overestimate how big manufacturing facilities are.

For example, Hornady produced 7 BILLION loaded rounds of ammo and over 17 billion bullets in 2016. Their facility is the size of a single walmart.
>>
what type of hooks do i need to go carp fishing?
>>
>>1044827
A bow.
>>
>>1044828
+1
>>
>>1044827

Size 3 and smaller. They have little mouths and are quicker to spit out larger foreign objects.

Also a big landing net. Most carp are lost at the bank when flopping around combined with their weight either breaks the line or pulls the hook from their mouth.
>>
File: IMG_4765.jpg (23KB, 347x239px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4765.jpg
23KB, 347x239px
>>1044827
>>1044828
>>1044829
I always liked using the bread balls on smaller treble hooks. Sometimes they were a bitch to get out because of the small mouths, but it's a carp anyway.

One time I set the hook while the carp had its mouth closed and two barbs came out the top lip, and one out the bottom. It basically locked the mouth closed. That was a bitch to get out.
>>
>>1044827
#2 or #4 baitholder should do
>>1044839
+1
>>
>>1044827
I like a .22-250.

Entertainment even if you miss.
>>
>>1044886
>Shooting a gun at the water's surface
That's a great way to get arrested.
>>
>>1044891
I only do it on (my) private land and only when I can shoot at a steep enough angle to guarantee no ricochet.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I got these for free today

Columbia Proffesional fishing gear shorts

They are blood and gut resistant and UV resistant

They're like 70$ Canadian and got them for free
>>
>>1044956
Nice. Those are p. comfy.

I like the Huk ones slightly better due to slightly more ball rooom but the PFG ones are fine, and can't argue with free.
>>
>>1044956
>blood and gut resistant

Fucking sold.
>>
>>1045009
>white people are the reason it isn't extinct yet

The least they can do after hunting it to the brink of extinction.
>>
>>1045016
the least they could do is nothing and let it go extinct
>>
6'6" ugly stick be good for shore/kayak/canoe fishing? What reel get? Something that's reversible or left handed please. Also what would I be looking to spend on a cheaper fishing Kayak or Canoe setup?
>>
File: DSC_7222.jpg (402KB, 1500x889px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_7222.jpg
402KB, 1500x889px
Just curious. Who /Finger Lakes/ here? I'm moving back home soon and might like someone to fish with for when my brother or cousins are busy. Specifically somewhere in between Canandaigua and Kayuga.
>>
>>1045040
There is absolutely nothing an Ugly Stick is good for other than beating disobedient children.

And you're not supposed to do that.
>>
>>1045048
Rood. I've fished with ugly sticks most of my life and they've worked great.
>>
>>1045048
It's good for not breaking.
That's more than can be said for a lot of the fenwicks and st croixs around here now.
>>
>>1045040
Get a 6'6" US spinning rod and a decent spinning reel. Most every light duty spinning reel nowadays has reversible handles for right hand (good for leftys) or left hand operation.
>>
>>1045053
Please tell me you fish spoons and use a zebco reel too.
I so want to see this thread explode in butthurt.
>>
>>1045053
Because you have never used anything else.

>>1045054
You shouldn't break any rod unless you do something stupid or there was a factory defect. I have never broken a rod using it the proper way.

>>1045040
>BERKLEY LIGHTNING ROD SHOCK
>>
actually in my experience inline spinners are only good at getting snagged
>>
>>1045087
You should learn how to use them properly
>>
>>1045054
I work in a sporting goods store.

Nearly 10% of all the Ugly Sticks I get in on freight are defective, and I literally can't count the number that have broken before they ever leave the store.

The durability of those things is a meme.
>>
>>1045098
>>1045085
>tfw the only ones I've broken were through sheer negligence on my part
>mainly accidentallying them in a car door or trunk
>>
>>1045115
>tfw got a shipment of 30 Ugly Stick GX2 rods in literally yesterday that had the rearmost guide turned 90* to all the other guides
>tfw I've seen the actual rod, not just eyelets, break from falling off a 2ft high shelf
>>
Got skunked at my closest lake today.
I only brought 6" lizards and trick worms because I have poor foresight and wanted largemouths, so I ended up just feeling my bait being taken and ran with too many times by what I think were small sand bass. I lost two rigs in some rock piles I didn't know were there (I'm a bank fisherman).
Never fished for sand bass, so what should I use next time?
>>
>>1045126
Grubs or spoons. Sandies are fun to catch.

Did you try waiting a second to see if maybe it was a largemouth grabbing just the tail?
>>
>>1045133
When I'd feel the tugs I'd drop my rod tip to make some slack for them to take and wait a second then do a little jerk. Everytime I did this the hook never set on anything, so either I spooked them or they lost interest.
>>
File: IMG_8002.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8002.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1045126
Took the wife out fishing this evening. Worms and inline spinners.
We were the only ones at the lake catching anything. Even the parents out fishing with their kids (seriously-what parent gives their kid a plastic worm to fish? That's just stupid. Give them a worm and a bobber so they can fucking catch something. Goddamn.)

She caught 9 after a slow start, I caught 4 (mostly because baiting all the hooks and unhooking all the fish means much less time with wet bait).
Fun was had.
>>
I want a less than $100 combo for saltwater fishing, any recommendations?
>>
>>1045155
What kind of saltwater? Inshore, surf, big ocean?

Cuz honestly most inshore rigs are basically bass rigs.
>>
>>1045155
What kind of saltwater?
Inshore? Surf? Pier? Deep sea?
>>
>>1045156
I don't have a boat, so I guess coastal or surf?
>>
>>1045159
Spinning or baitcaster?
>>
>>1045168
Spinning, I'm new to this.
>>
>>1045171
k
>Offshore Angler 7'6" medium
http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler-Gold-Cup-Inshore-Spinning-Rod/product/1502131026309/
>Okuma Stratus V 35
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/okuma-stratus-v-spinning-reel-15okuustrtsv10spnree/15okuustrtsv10spnree
>>
>>1045175
Thanks anon.
>>
>>1045183
Suppose I should explain my reasoning.
>lol i dunno how I'm gonna fish
Therefor the longest rod you can find/afford that's medium or medium-heavy power, that has a mod-fast or fast action. That's the only one I know of that fits your budget. Surf fishing can require stupidly long casts, and stupidly long casts require stupidly long rods and/or stupidly heavy lures.

The Okuma Stratus V's are a damn good reel at their normal price and go on sale frequently for "half off" (their original, $50-60 price so about 40% off). If you can get them on sale they're a PHENOMENAL deal. I'd say they're better than a Pfleuger President and on par with the $80 Shimanos in spinning, and are the only sub-$90 baitcaster worth sniffing at (their drag's better than an Abu Silver/Black Max and they're less likely to chuck their spool tension knob, everything about them is better than the Quantum Escalade).

It will cover surf, inshore, brackish, most pier fishing, and freshwater bass.
>>
>>1045155

Shimano IX 4000R paired with any 7+ foot rod. Spend the remaining 60+ bucks on a cast net, a landing net (pier net if needed), and an insulated live well with aerator.
>>
>>1044737
Fuck. That's my type right there. Cute brunette waifish types.
>>
File: IMG_1315.jpg (361KB, 1290x1935px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1315.jpg
361KB, 1290x1935px
>>1045126
The chartruese tailed ones are the worst for that. Set the hook, feel smaller fish on for a second or two, gets dropped because Mayan or gill was just hanging on to the tip.

>>1045115
Yup

>>1045117
Kek. That sucks.

I'm just going to post the pic reminding everybody that Ugly Stiks have no action.

>>1045133
+1 on grubs, with an underspin if you get em. Or the little Gulp curly tail minnows.
>>
>>1045133
>>1045237
Would a sand bass be able to swallow a 1/8oz jig head w/ grub? I don't own light tackle and I think 1/8 would be the minimum my baitcaster could reasonably throw.
>>
>>1045246
Check the lure weight ratings on your rod. It's usually the rod that matters when it comes to throwing stuff for distance, not the reel.
If the reel really is hindering your casting distance, you've got a shitty reel.
>>
>>1045246
I can chuck a 1/16oz jig with a 2" curl-tail grub far enough for most purposes with a $40 baitcaster on a 6' medium rod.

If you're having issues with light lures try backing your spool tension off a little.
>>
>>1045237
Maybe if the rod itself didn't weigh 3 pounds it wouldn't droop under its own weight.

Maybe if they'd stop using potmetal guides 8 sizes too big for the rod they're on it wouldn't droop under its own weight.
>>
>>1045237
Panfish are the aquatic kings of "just the tip".
>>
>>1045264
>yes, ALL panfish...
>>
When you guys keep talking about the #2 Aglia is that the bare one or the one with the trailer?
>>
>>1045279
Can be either.
#2 is the size of the spinner, which is about 1/6oz.
>>
>>1045009
>got a warning for this post talking about fish
>>
>>1045053
>be me
>use uglystiks most of my life
>think theyre the shit
>try something better last year
>holy shit, uglysticks are comparatively shite
>scramble to replace them all
uglystik rods are nice until you realise how shite they are. as soon as i get a fly tying vice im going to be like "how the hell did i ever use vice grips for this?"
its hard to know how bad something is until you use something good
>>1045061
a zebco 33 isnt a bad reel, zebco imo makes the best spin cast reels, but theyre quick to outgrow imo just because they have a lot of issues
>>
>>1045365
I like Zebcos, but if you think a Zebco 33 is the best spincast reel, a Daiwa will make your head explode.
>>
>>1044845
I did that with a bass on my torpedo yesterday. Mouth was completely locked shut and I was worried for a minute that I wouldn't be able to do anything without seriously fucking up its jaw. Everything was fine, tho
>>
>>1044770
I say go for the h20 express rod. I have a rod/reel combo that gives me great casts and the rod is super whippy. H20 reels come apart pretty easily though, so if you're on a budget, get a silver max or something instead
>>
File: beau_mac_marabou_jig_1357307_2.jpg (57KB, 738x640px) Image search: [Google]
beau_mac_marabou_jig_1357307_2.jpg
57KB, 738x640px
>mepps is the best there's no other lure that can catch more species tha-
>>
>>1045408
btfo

i used a meeps today and got nothing

caught a little round goby on a johnson inline spinner tho
>>
>>1045429
(i know im not using it right tho)
>>
>>1045408
+1 much more versatile
>>
>>1045429

Inline spinners are my lurefu, I've never had a bad day catching panfish with one

Just gotta watch out for them snags
>>
>>1045408
They're sure as fuck better than spinnerbaits, which is what the original contention was.
>>
>>1045365
Alright, best setup for $100 then?
>>
File: Capture.png (62KB, 839x453px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
62KB, 839x453px
Is this a good rod/reel setup to fish in cover with all types of lures. Im poor and can only buy one setup how will this hold up
>>
>>1045474
btw the rod is MHF 7'6"
>>
>>1045474
Yes, but you don't necesarily need the winch if you want something else with a higher gear ratio.

Also, 7' 6" rods are long and can be harder to cast accuratly if you're used to sorter rods.
>>
>>1045483
So it'll definitely hold up with any type of lure I throw on it? I don't want to limit myself to one type of lure and need a rod that'll pull fish out of cover since I love in Florida
>>
>>1045486
I mean stay within the weight limits on the rod and use common sense. Light stuff will probably be a pain in the ass to throw, but I also doubt you'll be throwing anything super light into cover.
>>
File: IMG_2406.jpg (80KB, 700x352px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2406.jpg
80KB, 700x352px
>>1045279
Pic related, or the ones with the gold blade and slightly darker brown skirt, those are my favorite all-around Mepps.

If I know I'm going for LMB tho, I will run larger than a #2. I like #3-#4 depending on how big they are.

And for some reason, everybody seems to reccommend the bare hook Mepps for trout, and the dressed ones for basically everything else.

>>1045365
>tfw Skid is actually right about something
I was the same way. My main rods were Ugly Stiks for years when I was younger because everybody talked about them. Then I realized what "Action" is.

>>1045398
Yeah you just gotta grab it right with the pliers and jam it back in. But bass are easier to unhook than lots of other fish with more fleshy mouths. One time I hooked a snek in the tongue and I damn near ripped his lower jaw off trying to get my Mepps back.

>>1045474
Not bad for getting into memecasters. But as fun as memecasters are, I think spinning setups are more versatile if you want to run lighter lures and go for panfish. So it depends what you want to do.
>>
File: IMG_5544.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5544.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Gander near me is down to 40-50% off and they still have a fuck ton of fishing and clothes stuff left. Didn't want to blow $700 on shit so I just settled on this new trout setup. Fuckers didn't have any backing though which was kinda gay.

Is there certain specs for certain weight fly rods or is all backing around the same thing?
>>
>>1045567
I'm waiting until next Thursday and if the reels are down to ~40% off I'm spending at least $400 on shit I've been looking at. Will probably do another saltwater setup and maybe a swimbait setup.
>>
>>1045568
I had a new frogging setup up planned out and found the perfect rod but they didn't have any good baitcaster reels left. I almost bought a Lews but decided not to. I spent $300 total on a rod, reel, line, and a few lures. That rod alone before the discounts was $280.
>>
>>1045572
The one by me has 3 reels I want. The Gucci lews (I can't remember what model) two 13 fishing reels. The rods were only 20% off last time so idk if I'll get any of those.
>>
>>1045459
hard to go wrong with an okuma avenger and fenwick eagle
both are $40-$50 U. S. each, and both are pretty good, a medium heavy or heavy rod about 7 feet with a 35-40 avenger would work well for salt water and heavier freshwater fishing, and a medium power 6'6-7 foot with a 20-30 size reel will handle freshwater and lighter saltwater beautifully. i have a 6 weight fenwick eagle fly rod that is nice too, i got a 28 inch carp with it.
>>
File: IMG_0725.jpg (977KB, 1935x1290px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0725.jpg
977KB, 1935x1290px
>>1045587
Eagles are normally $60-$70 but whatever.

>tfw that list of combos under $100 is still in the OP
>>
I want to make a finesse/drop shot rig on a budget.
Is a Medium Light 6'6" Lightning Rod IM6 with a Stratus V and 6lb Flouro the way to go, or is the Lightning Rod a shit tier rod?
Also what size reel is good for the proposed setup?
>>
>>1045567
>>1045567
For up to about 7 or 8 weight fly fishing, the backing is 20lb dacron, which also gets sold in big spools for heavier fish and for cheaper than you can buy it from a fly shop.
For larger, heavier stuff, the weight rating of the backing goes up proportionately
>>
>>1045605
The Lightning Rod Shock is great for the price.

And if you want to run 6lb flouro, maybe look at the Stratus V 25. It's a great size that is larger than a UL but a little smaller than most medium spinning reels.
>>
>>1045608
Thanks a bunch.
>>
File: IMG_1743.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1743.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1045617
You could probably do a M Lightning Rod too if you want. I have a similar setup, it's a 6' M Lightning Rod Shock with the Stratus V 25 and I'm running 10lb FlouroBraid on it. It's great for throwing 1/8oz lures but still strong enough to land any larger bass or sneks that might grab the bait. The M Lightning Rod isn't super fast, which is why I would say if you are going for finesse bass stuff and can't find the ML, you will be fine with a M.

Also that combo still amazes me because it has held up so well and feels way better than you would expect from a $70 combo.
>>
>>1045567
20 pound dacron, sometimes 30, thats really all it is
>>
>>1045626
I might have to do that because I for the life of me can't find a ML Lightning Rod Shock in stores anywhere, and I live in a place that has a Cabela's, Bass Pro, and multiple Dick's/Academys all within 30mins.
Is there a particular reason to get 6' opposed to 6'6"? I've never cast anything shorter than 6'6", so it'll be new to me.
>>
>>1045634
Nah I got the 6' because that's what they had at Walmart at 2am after I impulsively bought that Stratus V on Black Friday.

I would go 6'6" if I could do it again.

And that's why I said don't count out the M because ML rods can be a bitch to find unless it's a species-specific rod for trout or something.
>>
>>1045646
Checking Wal-Mart didn't even occur to me.
Alright, so there's a location that has both a 6'6" Medium and a 7' Medium Light.
I don't know which one to get.
>>
File: IMG_5546.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5546.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1045606
>>1045629
Had the qt at the fly shop put some on for me. Think this is enough? Or too much? The girl wasn't sure since she had never put backing on a spool so small. She also said there is no way I'm going to be able to get the whole spool of 4 weight fly line on. Am I supposed to cut it?
>>
>>1045605
Braid is the way to go my dude
>>
>>1045658
10lbs braid with a 6lbs flouro leader then?
>>
>>1045659
Yuh maybe even 15 if you're going with a medium
>>
>>1045656
looks about right to me. just try it, if its too much, take the line off and cut some backing off. that backing looks way over thick though, it looks like 40 pound dacron
>>
>>1045674
I just tried putting it all on and it worked fine. Don't even need to cut it
>>
>>1045677
told you it looked about right
>>
File: IMG_5548.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5548.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1045680
Was it stupid of me to put a 6x leader and 7x tippet on?
>>
>>1045707
Not really.
It's really small, but it'll still work for things like panfish
>>
>>1045649
Whatever you feel like. If it will be strictly a finesse setup, play around with the 7' ML and see how it goes.

>>1045659
>>1045664
I like the 10lb braid on that 25 size reel. When casting 1/8oz lures, the difference between 10lb and 15lb is pretty noticeable. And 10lb is still strong enough to land 99% of bass as long as you aren't fishing in super heavy lilly pads.

And you won't even need the flouro leader most of the time. You can if you want to, but IMO it makes basically zero difference for bass, even in clear water.
>>
>>1045707
7x is pretty pointless, you should have just stuck with 6x, probably what i would do in an ideal world is buy a 3x or 4x leader then put 5x or 6x tippet on it. but for size 20 nymphs in december, it will be a perfect set up, the brown trout i got on december 7th was 14.5 inches and on 6x tippet. the cold makes them so lethargic you hardly need more than 3 pound test
>>
>>1045587
I'm still ticked that my eagle snapped after my first decent bass
>>
>>1045716
i use 3x and 4x for panfish because they really dont care. 6x is more for winter and brook trout
>>
File: 1494463945251.jpg (820KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1494463945251.jpg
820KB, 1200x1600px
>>1045724
i love my fenwicks, they seem pretty sturdy. i mean pic related on a fenwick 6 weight . . .
>im 6'1'' and the fish is 28-30 inches
>>
>>1045720
>I like the 10lb braid on that 25 size reel. When casting 1/8oz lures, the difference between 10lb and 15lb is pretty noticeable

I'd say your rod has more to do with it than anything. I only have one spinning reel with less than 20lb braid and that's because I use a lot of 1/32 oz stuff on it.

Max casting distance is overrated anyway.

>>1045724
Why do none of you niggas email the company and see if they'll do anything
>>
>>1045527
>>1045474
I'm bass fishing and using heavier lures so I'm going with my memecaster
>>
>>1045656
Trim backing until you get all the fly line on.

Honestly you dont even need backing on trout or even most bass rigs.
>>
>>1045720
I went to gander mtn because of their sale and left with a 6'6" medium light St. Croix Triumph, and some 832 10lbs in the neon lime color.
I hope I didn't fuck up buying neon, but I've heard people prefer it to the low vis.
>>
>>1045748
It's kind of a waste to get that color. I've had it on my one baitcaster for maybe 2-3 months and the color has faded to a very pale light green
>>
>>1045726
No one cares you fat idiot.
>>
File: IMG_5550.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5550.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
These little gills are so fun on that rod
>>
I'd like to get into fishing just to get some good effectively free food, but most of the gear advice seems like voodoo bullshit. Is there any actual quantifiable information or is it all "mah pappy used these back in the day"
>>
>>1045807
If you want food then get a rod, get a reel, a bobber, and a small baitholder hook with a worm.
Catch a bluegill, if big enough to eat then keep if too small then use as bait on a larger hook and rig it to sit at the bottom. Catch a catfish with this, and now you have dinner.
>>
>>1045810
>Catch a bluegill, if big enough to eat then keep if too small then use as bait on a larger hook and rig it to sit at the bottom. Catch a catfish with this, and now you have dinner.

This is my usual modus operandi. I also fish bluegill suspended under a bobber for larger bass.
>>
>>1045734
>Why do none of you niggas email the company and see if they'll do anything
i brought it back to the store and got 20% off my next rod and a credit for what i paid
>>
>>1045807
Most of the gear advice IS voodoo bullshit, or it's designed to solve a SPECIFIC problem encountered by pros under SPECIFIC conditions.
The really effective stuff has stood the test of time and is produced by everybody under the sun, which means it's available for cheap.
The stuff that REALLY works:
>live bait-worms, frogs, crickets and small fish under a bobber
This is its own thing and I put it first because it should be obvious, but for some reason it isn't. Lots of people outsmart themselves and want to try fishing with artificials primarily, but live bait is the real thing, and it works.

As for artificials:
>inline spinners
>minnow imitating lures
>spoons
>soft plastic baits-worms, grubs, flukes, tubes, lizards, etc
>jig head lures.
Dozens of companies make hundreds of iterations of these in all sorts of shapes, sizes and colors because they work consistently, year in and year out, in all sorts of conditions for all sorts of species.
>>
File: 20170625_082957.jpg (943KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_082957.jpg
943KB, 2560x1440px
dafuq happened to this fish

also is it a carp?
>>
>>1045838

Carp with a growth of some kind.
>>
>>1045802
Fly caught gills make me want a 1 weight.
>>
>>1045837

All this. It's like most hobbies.

The real trick with any hobby is that, yes, there is a lot of cheap crap out there. There's also cheap decent-to-great stuff.

But it can be hard to pick the good out from among the other cheap stuff that is actual crap and as a result, lots of people just default to expensive = best. Or get sucked in by gimmicks. It's just so hard to believe that you can get a decent rod and reel for 30 or 40 bucks that'll last 10+ years with decent care.
>>
>>1045734
i do
>>1045802
they are, they give a pretty good bend
>>1045807
>go to walmart
>buy zebco 33 combo
>buy aberdeen hooks, splitshot. and red/white bobbers
>go home
>dig up some worms and take the rod out of the packaging and set it up
>go to the lake
>soak worms under a bobber for bluegill
>>1045838
carp wit some kind of injury or growth
>>1045855
id be happy with a 2 weight
>>
A buddy of mine wants to go into canada and camp on some random lake off whatever old logging road we can find on crown land. what kind of fish could we expect to catch? do all these small lakes in the middle of nowhere have fish in them?
>>
>>1045724
How did you fuck up? What are you not telling us?
>>
>>1045887
I've pee'd in my gaiters, taters, and satyrs, but never my waders.
>>
>>1045934
What province?
>>
>>1045486
If the Orra Winch is like their Revo Winch then it's geared low (5.4:1) which is nice and torque-y for lures that create a lot of resistance. I've the Revo Winch on a heavy 7'11" Veracity Winch rod but I only ever break it out on deep lakes. The rod length and power let's me chuck my big-billed, deep-diving cranks a country mile and the low gearing of the reel is nice for a slow steady retrieve without wearing my arm out. It really keeps the reel handle from being a chore to turn after hours of casting and retrieving.

On the flip I wouldn't want that low of a gearing in a multi purpose setup. It can work but the retrieve rate is slower than I'd like for a lot of tackle which means reeling my ass off to make it work. Buzzbaits and any topwater baits that'll sink if not retrieved fast enough for example.

>>1045734
That's how Berkley lost me as a customer. Still on Pure Fishing's tit as an Abu fan boy but Berkley is an an entire division of theirs I'll no longer support and vehemently advise others against.
>>
File: yes.png (9KB, 298x451px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
9KB, 298x451px
>be me
>never catch any fish outside a fish farm no matter how many years I try
>decide to go fishing one day
>do what my dad taught me
>put like five sinkers, three bobbers, a spinner, and a couple of hooks on my line
>catch nothing
>go home
>google how to fish
>next day I do what the internet told me to do
>catch 8 bluegill in under an hour
>google some more
>department of wildlife wants people to catch yellow perch
>do what google says
>catch like 5 on the next day

I feel like a god!

FEAR ME!
>>
>>1046077
Yeah most people's dad's are total retards and have no idea how to fish properly in today's fisheries. My dad was decent but he basically only half learned everything and talked about the glory days of fishing with his uncle who actually knew how to catch fish as I understand it. The main problem is that fish populations used to be way higher and human population lower. Most lakes were under fished and had huge healthy fisheries that people like your dumb ass dad and mine grew up fishing and catching everything and anything at because fish saw way less angling pressure even as little as 20 years ago. You used to be able to catch musky on a worm and bobber with 5 sinkers and 70lb test giant mono.
>>
>>1045944
I didn't fuck up the snap was clean

I caught the fish, released it, picked up my rod and the top fell off
>>
>>1045438
Water was mud-fuck-coco-milk today and I tossed a spinner in a very good hole in the river and got a smallie. No other lure worked after that.
>>
>>1045954
Ontario sorry
>>
caught another round goby yesterday

should i just kill them all when i catch them? caught 3 or 4 so far
>>
>>1046174
yes toss that shit up on land for critters to eat
>>
>>1046174
yeah. toss it way up on land for the racoons and cats, or cut its head off and throw it in the water for turtles and catfish to scavange.
>>
>pepsidink will never catch a big fish
>skid will never turn into a real life furry

You two must be in agony
>>
>>1046225
perpetually
>>
>>1046228
What animal do you want to be?
>>
>>1046236
Not him but tiger furries are kinda coop
>>
>>1045838
Looks like Carpy McCarpface got trolled hard
>u mad fish?

>>1046052
>5.4:1 is a low gearing
When I was growing up that was the HIGH gearing.
Unless you're burning rattletraps 2" under the surface, it'll be more than fast enough for all you need it to do. Even then it'll work ok, you'll just have to crank it faster than the higher geared one.

>>1046174
Yes.
Terminate. With extreme prejudice.
>>
>>1046236
i'd probably want to be a saint bernard. it seems to fit me pretty well as a species.
>>
>>1045836
You got a decent deal then. There's just a lot of rod companies that will hook you up if you email them, so it's always worth a shot.

>>1046052
What'd Berkely do?

>>1046248
Kek
>back in my day

There's no reason not to get a higher ratio. Yes, you can definitely catch fish with lower geared reels, and they have their place, but why not give yourself every advantage you can?
>>
>>1046252
>being a doggo
>>
>>1046225
There's only so much good fortune one person is allowed in life, anon.
Pepsi is already gainfully employed, lives in Miami, has a gf and gets to fish whenever he wants, among other things.

If taking a few inches off of every other fish he catches is his curse for all of that, I'm sure he'll take it.

Skid, well...he's transitioning, and we all hope he'll be happy one day.
>>
>>1046255
How much extra is the higher geared Revo tho?
Budgets are a real thing, and if he can't spend the $30-40 extra to get the 6.4:1 reel, it's not doing him any good.
I agree that if he can spend the extra cash he'll get more out, but if he can't the Orra2 will still work fine.
>>
>>1046265
Kek, you say these things but some days I'm not so sure.
>>
>>1046265
Is skid transitioning into a St. Bernard?
>>
anyone have any expierence catching bass with live bluegill? seems like hardly anybody does it, but i've heard a few people say its the best way to catch big bass.
what rig/hooks should i use? cast shallow or deep? what size gill?
i need to catch a bass bigger than my friend. hes talking so much shit.
>>
>>1046268
Thats completely fair, but he could get a Revo S for around the same price. For an all purpose rod I'd just suggest saving up a little more for a higher ratio.

I think anon feels like he needs to have the extra torque from the winch to pull fish out of cover which isn't really necessary for bassin at all.
>>
File: 001.jpg (434KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
434KB, 1000x750px
>>1046255
>What'd Berkely do?

Bought a couple AMP rods on sale ($1.00 with select reel purchases at Dick's) when they first came out. Super wispy, sensitive, light rods.

Love'em until less than three months in line starts snapping randomly; start of a cast, lure in mid air, mid retrieve, when sizeable fish are on the line. Lots of lost lures and frustration.

After replacing line, taking apart and reassembling reels, etc finally figure out soft, inferior guide inserts are to blame. The tip guides look like when you make an OK sign with your first finger and thumb. Lots of deep grooves cut into the guide just from using plain old Trilene mono (as recommended, betting braid would've cut the guide in half in under a month's time). Signs of grooves/guide wear all the way down to the lowest guides.

Phone Berkley, said they'd no similar reports and to contact their service department via email, said I'd likely have to destroy the current rods in order for replacements to be shipped.

Compose email to Berkley relaying all of the above, stating I'd be happy to pay the other $58 (the difference if they'd not been bought on sale) for two new rods and the assurance they wouldn't fail the same way, explain if they couldn't I'd rather not snap the two perfectly good rod blanks I had - that if I were to destroy them I'd prefer it be in process of trying to replace the guides myself. Yadda yadda blah blah, attached photos of failing guides, completely polite throughout the email, a bit long winded perhaps but thorough.

Receive a single paragraph email directing me back to the 800 number with a code for a "one-time courtesy discount" I'd been approved for.

I never called. Their response didn't address a single concern, they'd clearly ignored that I wasn't after a discount (and was willing to pay more for a product that wouldn't fail the same way), so I chalked my attempts as falling on deaf ears/blind eyes. Wrote'em off right there.
>>
File: 003.jpg (390KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
003.jpg
390KB, 1000x750px
>>1046285
They now put the same guides on their Lightning Rod too. It used to come with the same ceramic guides that are on the Shock rod. I'd know because I still have my father's old IM6 Lightning from years ago. Now all their mid to lower end rods are getting the cruddy soft steel guides. Just another company selling built-to-break products.
>>
>>1046278
I can't say for sure, but neither can I explain his urges to go into the mountains every winter and rescue stranded hikers.
>>
>>1046286
Feel ya on that. I work at Dick's, watching their quality tank over the last 2-3 years has been a real frustration.

First the Cherrywood rods were decent, now they're literally-worse-than-uglystik tier. Then the Amp rods went the same way, they used to come with actual Fuji-brand Fuji guides, and when they first came out were IM8 and now they're IM6. Then the Lightnings went that way. I got a suspect batch of Lightning Shocks in last week too, theyr'e no longer Fuji guides but they have ceramic inserts at least (although they're thicker than 3 fucks and noticeably hurt the action of the rod through sheer weight).
>>
>>1046286
this is why i started making my own rods. they're not any cheaper if you buy the stuff and make them yourself, but at least you know exactly what kind of quality you're going to get. can also make have nice designs and stuff
>>
File: IMG_8044.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8044.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>1046280
Use something like a catfish or surfnfishing setup minus the big sinker. Mostly you need a rod stout enough to throw a 4oz bluegill a decent distance without snapping.
Use big enough hooks to rig the gills through the back, add a bobber big enough to hold him at a certain depth and you're in business.
>>
>>1045649
I got mine at walmart as well. $20 on sale. Combined it w/ the stratus V 2500 I got a Dick's for either 25 or 35.
Great combo. 1 pc rod which is always my preference. Rod is the 6', same reason as Peps, no 6'6" available
>>
File: ugly af.jpg (102KB, 855x594px) Image search: [Google]
ugly af.jpg
102KB, 855x594px
caught this ugly fish today

its a bullhead catfish right?

it was greenish/brownish/yellowish... had to pick it up to get the hook out and it was the grossest feeling thing i've touched in years

soft as fuck except for the skull and slimy too
>>
>>1046325
It's built like a bullhead but all the ones we have around here are dark grey to black on top and light to medium grey underneath. They're named black bullhead for a reason. I would assume since they specify a color that there's other species of bullhead though, so it's probably one of those.

And yeah, they're like the second nastiest catfish I've ever touched, with the first being the hardhead catfish of salt/brackish water. Now those are real slimeballs.
>>
How do you guys fish a new large body of water from kayak ( or boat but keep in mind slower in a kayak)
About a mile and a half from one eld of the lake to the other and 3.5 miles around the outside edge
>>
>>1046342
The nastiest for me would be a gaftopsail cat. As soon as you pull one out of the water they squirm and flick their damn slime everywhere. That stuff looks too much like jizz and sticks everywhere like jizz.
>>
File: hey.png (5KB, 532x549px) Image search: [Google]
hey.png
5KB, 532x549px
>>1046355

I'm about to head out to do just that right now.

I was just going to scout out the coast for structure or overhanging trees.
>>
>>1046367
Yeah they're supposedly somewhat worse than the hardhead but the hardheads do the same thing and are far far more prevalent since you can catch them off any dock, pier, canal bank, and up to 30 miles up any river along a coast ranging from midstate NY all the way down and around FL and all the way over to the junction of TX and Mexico (and presumably well down the Mexican coast), then on the other side from the junction of CA and Mexico all the way up to the northern corner of Puget Sound.
>>
>>1046372
Kek, the lake isn't a perfect circle
Just asking ebcause I went out yesterday and nailed one little guy , but didn't do super well though I was also just enjoying cruising around
>>
>>1046355
definitely around the edges if you can make it all the way around. If it's too large I'll go to the shady side and hang off that shoreline.
Other thing if you have a depth chart is look for drop-offs and fish them.
>>
Sup /fish/, surfcasting pleb here but I am looking at getting a boat with decent capabilities, how much more fish is there actually out at sea? And how hard is it to catch?

I want to know if I will be able to catch enough on a regular basis to fill up the deep freeze and make up the majority of my diet to cut down food bills.
>>
>>1046391
If you're after eating fish, a big saltwater boat is not the way to go. Yes, there are easier-to-catch fish out there, but the maintenance and upkeep of a boat will more than erase any food budget savings from eating predominantly fish.

Find a river mouth or canal or something to wet a line in instead.
>>
File: 1494675357930.png (147KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
1494675357930.png
147KB, 400x550px
/blog/post.

Today was a shitty day. Nearly got my 2WD with all-seasons stuck in mud trying to access a slightly secluded fishing spot and had a colossal sized gator come about 10ft to me and greet me causing me to nearly shit my pants.

My rear tires barely got out the of the mud and prior to this I was one of faggots that claimed there's no point of having a 4WD truck/SUV cause I'm never gonna use it.

I tried using FishBites today, and holy fuck is that shit is thick as fuck. I tried to remove some of my hook and it was trying to pull off a piece of hide. I don't see how any fish, even the notorious baitstealers could pick that off.
>>
I just won a $150 Bass Pro gift card from a local radio station. I've been meaning to get back into fishing, could I cover the basics with this? I'll mostly focus on panfish.
>>
>>1046454
For panfish? Fuck yes thats plenty.
>>
>>1046459
Panfish and maybe Bass if I find a good spot.
>>
>>1046454
Easy peasy
If you want basics, here it is:
>fishing license $10-15
>1 cane pole $5-10
>spool of 10lb test line $10
>1-tray tackle box $8
>1 pack small bobbers $3
>1 bag 1/12oz sinkers $3
>1 pack size 8 Aberdeen hooks $2
Spend the rest on bait a little at a time.

If you want a proper rod and reel, get a zebco 33 Micro and a 7' BPS Crappie rod for about $20 each and swap the 10lb test for 4.
>>
File: IMAGE_!.jpg (192KB, 960x533px) Image search: [Google]
IMAGE_!.jpg
192KB, 960x533px
>>1046391
depends on where you are. you can easily fill a freezer with fish its a matter of where youre fishing and what fish you want to eat.
>>
File: dc im.jpg (107KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
dc im.jpg
107KB, 720x960px
>>1046449
carry some pieces of carpet
a shovel
some short 2x4's
a high jack
a scrap of plywood
and a tow strap
you'll be able to get your piece of shit out of the mud.
>>
File: qd.jpg (337KB, 719x960px) Image search: [Google]
qd.jpg
337KB, 719x960px
>>1046462
>>fishing license $10-15

where tf do you live?
>>
>>1046468
why do people do this
>>
>>1046461
If you think you might go after bass often find a good light (but not ultralight) rod, maybe 6 to 7 foot, and pair it with an Abu Cardinal SX-10 or a similar sized reel from your preferred brand's lineup. Line it with 6 lb mono, lure/bait it and go to town.

Johnson Beetle Spins go on sale frequently and are excellent for sunfish, crappie, and bass. Snakehead, pickerel and other toothy fuckers are usually happy to hit them as well, and their wire forms help act as a short leader which can help the line from being cut by teeth. 'Course you might do better waiting on Wal-Mart to put them on sale. Sometimes they'll have a $3'ish kit that gets marked down to $1.99 or less and has more than you'd ever get at BPS for the same price.

In the meanwhile you might consider other soft plastics to pair with those jig spinners. Nothing wrong with Johnson's little fork-tailed plastics but I like the Bobby Garland and Mr Crappie stuff myself, and BPS definitely has good sales on those.

BPS also has their own lure lines including packaged kits that might include a couple small/mid size poppers, some squarebill cranks, etc and at a very fair price. Enough to get you fishing hard plastics at a few different depths and rates of retrieve

Unless you're solely bait fishing instead of going artificial. In that case skip past my talk of jig spinners, soft plastics and such. Anon above basically has you covered - though I wouldn't go full cane pole myself. Also they mentioned a little tackle box which is a solid suggestion. Even a small tackle bag shouldn't run you much and will give you something to carry your gear in with room to expand.
>>
File: IMG_3908.jpg (88KB, 624x809px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3908.jpg
88KB, 624x809px
>fishing for smallmouth
>hook a carp
>actually land it even though it used the current of the river to fight harder
What is the point of carp? They taste like shit, they're slimy as fuck, they can easily break small poles if large enough, and they will eat nearly anything making it impossible to fish in rivers or lakes that have them in it.
>>
>>1046491
At that rate, he should just get a Cardinal SX combo. I don't think I have ever seen one in a 20 size but that would be great with some 6lb mono for all sorts of panfish and some bass.
>>
>>1046467
You might want to consider a Tug along/cable puller winch, I was able to pull a friends car out of a ditch with one of those.
>>
>>1046499
Because they are fun to catch and release.
>>
>>1046499
>they taste like shit
I don't think they really taste like much of anything.

As a result they're excellent fodder for the fryer.
>>1046503
Lots of sedans have no safe place to attach a winch cable, tow strap, etc without risking pulling the plastic facia/bumper off or scrunching something.
>>
>>1046468
Georgia. In-state fishing licenses are $9 per year.
When I was in FL, they were $15 per year. Just looked and FL's now up to $17, which isn't too much more than I budgeted.
Not my fault you guys have rape-tier fishing license fees.
>>
>>1046512
Missouri here. Ours is $7.

Hell for that matter a combination small game hunting and fishing license is only $15.
>>
mine was like $35 CAD here in quebec :/
>>
>>1046506
>fun to catch and release

I agree my friend! They're super fun to catch with a bow and release into the bushes for the coons.
>>
>>1046486
I think they do it so that they have a reason to approach me and say hi. Maybe if I make myself more approachable I would not have to stop fishing to pull people out.
>>
>>1046486
Letting air out of their tires until it's almost falling off the rim is the recognized and recommended way to drive on sand and get traction without falling in and getting stuck.
>>
>>1046501
They've got an SX combo now? Good to hear. Abu had some Cardinal combos out that were like a "Cardinal Z" series or something that were popping up at Walmart like $25 for the whole shebang. They seemed really junky even at the price point. I remember the bearing count being low and the reel just feeling awful. Then again I've spoiled myself in recent years. Twenty years ago I might have thought a combo like that was hot shit.

I do run 6 lb on two SX-10 setups and my pops runs the same weight on an SX-20. The SX line seems like the point where cost and quality start meshing. I've only ever seen the SX-20 reels at Walmart and Dick's, never BPS for whatever reason and never as part of a combo. Actually last time I nabbed one Amazon had the better price.
>>
>>1046523
They seem to forget that this only works with tires that have textured sidewalls and only when dropped to around 20 psi.
>>
>>1046499
They thrive in polluted as fuck rivers where our native species don't/can't, and are highly sought-after in Europe as a game fish. People were starting to fish while river systems completely out so lots of game management people In high places figured:
>why not import a popular game fish that can thrive in rivers that are polluted as fuck like our own rivers are becoming?
So they did.
Then our rivers started getting cleaned up, people became less desperately poor thanks to a rising standard of living and could start practicing catch and release without starving, many native species rebounded, and finally people who fish discovered that carp fucking suck. So they didn't fish for them and carp became a nuisance fish.
>>
>>1046523
yeah but it looks like more he's digging his tire out of his sand with his bare hands but i guess whatever works.
>>
>>1046382
what lake and where? if its in the US someone would probably be nice enough to post the navionics graph of the lake and help you find a spot to fish
>>
>>1046391
where are you located?

Honestly co$t of owning a boat will cancel out fishing to wipe food budget but yes, you can absolutely sustain yourself if you wanted.

boat initial cost
insurance
maint
boatUS or other tow service, don't skip this, especially on the ocean. Cost of 1 tow pays for the year.
fuel
equipment/bait

It's endle$$$$.

+ is being out on the water is the shit.
>>
File: woopsies.jpg (103KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
woopsies.jpg
103KB, 960x720px
>>1046512
mine is $68 a year with sturgeon and salmon tags and enhancements.
>>
>>1046560
14 for a year for residents, includes everything other than billfish and tunas that need permits.
>>
>>1046280
>anyone have any expierence catching bass with live bluegill? seems like hardly anybody does it, but i've heard a few people say its the best way to catch big bass.

This is my preferred method of bass fishing as I usually target catfish and usually have lots of leftover bluegill.

>>what rig/hooks should i use? cast shallow or deep? what size gill?

Size 1 to 3/0 wide gap circle or short shank octopus hooks with a foot or two of fluoro or mono leader and some heavy braid. I fish the bluegill, which are usually between 3-6 inches long about 6 inches to a foot under a bobber. I usually hook them in the nose if I want them to swim closer to the surface or right behind the dorsal fin if I want them to dive, and often clip the dorsal spines for good measure.

I actually prefer smaller bobbers. They don't inhibit the bluegill's movement as much and are mostly there to keep them from getting TOO far into cover. When a bass hits them, you'll know it.

I target shorelines, weedlines, lillypad edges, standing trees,overhang, heavy cover, and anywhere that looks like a good sport for a bass to ambush prey, hence the heavier braid. I use fluoro leaders if the fish seem hesitant to strike, but I prefer the mono for it's stretch.

I've caught a fair number of bass live lining bluegill, but I miss more fishing like this because they're less forgiving when it comes to timing the hook set compared to catfish. I also occasionally catch bass on bottom rigs, especially when drifting my kayak over deep holes or structure.

But shoreline cover is the best place to target.
>>
So...anyone able to tell me what the point of a Kahles style hook is?

It's like they have all the width of a circle hook with none of the benefits....
>>
>>1046258
everyone loves doggos and puppers
>>1046287
i just go to the mountains because i like the snow, rescuing people just happens by accident
>>1046325
yeah thats a bullhead
>>1046449
>I don't see how any fish, even the notorious baitstealers could pick that off
its not entirely that
firstly, is slowly dissolves in water
secondly, they have at least sand papery teeth, that grind and erode the stuff off while you are reeling in.
>>1046499
they are fun to fly fish for. its actually a pretty good challenge to get one to take a fly
>>
>>1046581
>it's actually a pretty good challenge to get one to take a fly
Man. I must have some really gullible carp in my area.
>cast San Juan Worm
>gets inhaled by carp the second it touches bottom nearly every cast
>hope you aren't using your 3-4 weight rod and some decently strong tippet

I "tied" (superglued a 1.5" length of worm rubber to a #10 scud hook) about 200 San Juan Worms last week. I fished them 3 days specifically targeting shellcrackers and hooked 17 carp. Landed 4 due to using 6x tippet because that's what I have.
>>
>>1046577

Before circle hooks got big, khale hooks were the preferred wide gap style hook.

Circle hooks have gotten more popular due to less gut hooking and a tendency to lodge themselves into the corner of a fish's jaw and not come undone. However, because of the way they go about this, you can potentially miss more potential hook ups- especially if the fish prefer nibbling or quicker strikes rather than taking and running with the whole bait.

Kkahle hooks continue to be used out of tradition or by people who intend to kill and eat what they're after, so the increased chance of gut hooking isn't a concern.
>>
>>1046589
yeah, that's just over populated as fuck then, usually carp fishing entails
>walking or cruising the banks for ?? amount of time looking for feeding carp
>getting near them
>flicking your fly a foot in front of their nose and hoping that doesn't spook them
>hoping they eat it
>repeat as necessary
>>
>>1046596
I used them when I was young and didn't know any better, and can say with 10000% certainty I missed more fish with them than any other style of hook. They also had a tendency to bend out due to the significantly larger amount of leverage the fish has on them, so in order to get one that stayed hook-shaped you had to either buy the 4x strong ones or go up 2-3 sizes, both leading to even more missed fish.

Furthermore, I can't think of a single scenario where THAT MUCH of a "wide" gap would be in any way beneficial over a standard wide-gap baitholder or octopus hook.
>>
>>1046599
Not even gonna pretend the carp here aren't overpopulated as fuck.

Also helps no actual anglers ever try for them, although we do have a rather robust bowfishing community.
>>
>>1046599
a bow works even better
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2303x4096px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2303x4096px
does anyone else's hands get kinda itchy after unhooking a fish? If I'm havin to put my hand actually in the basses mouth it always start itching for about 15 minutes. It's not really a big deal just kind of annoying.
>>
>>1046607
I usually use pliers because I'm a faggot. Also I get a better grip and more control over the hook.
>>
>>1046607
cant say ive ever had that happen... maybe something in your water?
>>
>>1046607
Maybe you're allergic?
>>
>>1046600

They were good with chunk/strip baits because the gap keeps the bait from getting in the way of the hook point- a common issue with other hooks, especially circle hooks.

But yeah, they're not generally as good as circle hooks, which is why circle hooks have largely eclipsed them in the past couple decades.

But you couldn't just walk into a Wal-Mart back in 2000 and choose from a selection of circle hooks. If they even stocked them, most anglers would be like, "WTF are these goofy looking things?" and fewer people knew how to successfully fish with them back then. So lots of people have just never adopted them.

I had to introduce my dad to them.
>>
>>1046604
fly fishing for them isnt about efficiency. flyfishermen, more than anyone else, have learned that fishing is about way more than just fish.
>>
>>1046619
Um. I've been routinely fishing circle hooks and the local walmarts have been routinely stocking every size of circle hook from #4 through #6/0 since at least 1988. I know they got their start in saltwater fishing but I lived in fucking Kansas at the time and have lived in eastern Missouri since 1995. They're hardly a new development.
>>
>>1046610
There's been a few times I've wished I've had pliers, but for bass I rarely need them so I tend to not carry them.

>>1046611
I thought that might be it, but its happened in all the water I've fished.

>>1046617
Possible, but wouldn't touching the bass in general make me itch? It's only when I touch the inside of the mouth.
>>
>>1046624

They're not new. Their popularity and familiarity with fishermen is new. Also, I bet the selection of circle hooks in your Wal-Mart now is larger than it was back in 1988.
>>
File: Skiff -2.jpg (2MB, 3188x1793px) Image search: [Google]
Skiff -2.jpg
2MB, 3188x1793px
>>1046555
>>1046391

Owning a small boat can be pretty cheap, if done right, in my case I could get my entire setup done for under 1000-1300 if I didn't build the hull myself.

It's all about watching Craigslist, I was able to snag a 1984 Yamaha 30 for 250$, all it took was a carb rebuild to get running, you could probably find a hull/trailer combo for 700 that's perfectly serviceable as well. I wouldn't get insurance if it's not required in your state, however if you live somewhere with open water a Seatow/BoatUS membership is nice, with my setup I make regular runs from the James river out to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and even though I can unbolt the console and row if the engine dies the Seatow membership is a good bit of insurance as rowing several miles back to dock is never fun and the wind will always be against you.

Just remember with Craigslist Boat/Outboard prices plummet in fall/winter and hard cash is often enough to get people to go lower than their asking price.
>>
>>1046566
Maryland resident pricing
20.50 non-tidal (freshwater)
05.00 trout stamp
15.00 chesapeake bay & coastal
02.00 recreational crabbing (5.00 w/out bay/tidal license)

42.50 for everything

>>1046641
This too. Boating can be inexpensive. I'm not salt fishing but my flat bottom jon doesn't cost a dime to keep registered so long as I keep it under 7 or 9 horses (always forget which). Right now I just use a 50 lb thrust trolling motor and it works great for the local pondd, lakes and tidal creeks/bays.

Somebody up in Kent Island had a 16 ft wide body polar craft for $600 last year. Would've been four more feet and some extra elbow room but I didn't have a trailer at the time and it sold before I could figure the cost and time of renting a uhaul. Still there's always deals to be had.
>>
>>1046607
Need to tell the local Mexicans to quit shitting in the river.
>>
File: 137 Jun. 26 18.38.jpg (263KB, 1788x919px) Image search: [Google]
137 Jun. 26 18.38.jpg
263KB, 1788x919px
who here will be the first to buy the savage gear BAT?

Is this a maymay?
>>
File: 138 Jun. 26 18.39.png (278KB, 888x940px) Image search: [Google]
138 Jun. 26 18.39.png
278KB, 888x940px
>>
>>1046669
So another Hedon Crazy Crawler / Jackall Pompadour? It's no meme and I'm sure as shit it'll catch bass but I probably wouldn't pick one up over other options. I'm one of those filthy bass anglers who probably cares more about what the lure looks like than the fish do. The crawler strokes me right in the traditionals and the pompadour is sleek looking, but that bat is fugly.
>>
>>1046669
>>1046672
If you haven't seen the action on these kinds of baits do look them up. It's a very neat hand over hand (wing over wing?) action meant to simulate a small critter paddling along the water's surface. I'd say I even prefer it to a jitterbug.

Still, fugly with a capital FUG.
>>
File: IMG_20170626_175108628~2.jpg (2MB, 3242x1889px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170626_175108628~2.jpg
2MB, 3242x1889px
I was using live bluegill and pumpkinseed Sunfish as bait. He's a 40lb, 45 inch flathead cat and he fought like a champ.
>>
File: image.jpg (197KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 720x1280px
Okay boys what the fuck is this nonsense. I was casting the rat around when I hear a loud snap and after realizing my rod didn't break I see the line is broke, but it managed to wrap itself around one of the guides (thankfully). I really wasn't in the mood to swim for a lure kek.

How dis happen.

>>1046660
Kek

>>1046669
I'm gonna get one eventually. The action is fucking crazy. I bet the smallest size would be killer.

>>1046677
Nice
>>
>>1046678
>how dis happen
Check your guides. I'd be willing to bet your stripping guide has a groove or nick in it that cut the line.
>>
File: IMG_20170626_184849-1619x1214.jpg (391KB, 1619x1214px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170626_184849-1619x1214.jpg
391KB, 1619x1214px
Extremely fun trying to snag bluegills on poppers/top water flies after work today.
>>
>>1046634
maybe the teeth just irritate your skin
>>1046678
check and make sure all your guides are in good condition. could have just been a random weak spot, could have just been that when you casted you did something wrong and the bait lost tension then regained it and put a lot of strain on the line, but really, who could say. at least you have your lure still.
catch anything on that jitterbug yet?
>>
>>1046684
did you tie that? it looks really good. looks like just closed cell foam cut out with a hole punch, glued together, then glued to the shank, would fish with/10
>>
>>1046678
>How dis happen.
Loop in the spool maybe? Might have managed to wrap the guide during the cast, then fortune smiled upon you and it tightened into a knot after snapping instead of slipping free. I've tried casting loops out before with mono and was lucky enough not to have it snap but exactly what I described happened, the loop would manage to whip itself around the guide and draw tight. Found it's better just to unspool them by hand than take the chance of a snap.
>>
File: image.jpg (163KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 720x1280px
>>1046682
>>1046685
I meant more how did the line get in a knot on one of the guides kek. I feel like it was just a week spot in the line. I didn't look super close at the guides though I will when I get home. This line is pretty old and it's my frogging rod so it's been tossed into some cover.

I don't think it was anything on my end, I try not to bomb heavy lures like that.

>catch anything on that jitterbug
No I haven't been throwing a lot of topwater in genera lately, but the rat is just fun to toss around.
>>
>>1046691
Tension backlash when the line popped caused it to furl around the guide. Happens with disturbing regularity when breaking off a snag with mono.
>>
File: xxx.jpg (121KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
xxx.jpg
121KB, 1440x1080px
>>1046280
>mattlures bluegill
>shellcracker g2
>>
What's the best time to go catfishing? I know that they're nocturnal and fishing at night is a good idea but most large catfish I catch I catch midday.
>>
>>1046698
What's that a picture of? I want one.
>>
>>1046711
Snag city.
>>1046709
Whenever you feel like catfishing. My top 3 biggest cats were all caught midday. While I catch a slight few more at night, they're usually dinks.
>>
>>1046709
From my experience fish tend to feed around 3:00-4:30pm in terms of midday.
My pb bass of 5lbs was caugth around 3:45pm in April. I know that's not really big in the scheme of things, but I only fish neighborhood ponds where anything over 2lbs is rare.
>>
File: axz.jpg (894KB, 2048x1267px) Image search: [Google]
axz.jpg
894KB, 2048x1267px
>>1046711
custom pour, guy catches a lot with it
>>
>>1046690
>>1046696
Interdasting.

My guides look fine so that's a plus. I would've been pretty upset if the rod I bought that's made specifically for frogging had groves in the guides from braid.
>>
>>1046280
Live bait taken from the same waters ALWAYS works well.
>>
>>1046574
thanks my dude. if i get anything i'll post pics in a future thread.
when you say they are less forgiving on the hookset, do you mean i pretty much have to be holding the rod when they strike or can i throw like 3 lines out at once and still have a chance of hooking one?
>>
File: 1498528292315~2.jpg (16KB, 342x302px) Image search: [Google]
1498528292315~2.jpg
16KB, 342x302px
>>1046672
Is it me or is this the creepiest hidden face?
>>
>>1046307
i've got a big 12' surf fishing rod, but i'm not sure how strong it is. i know my dad had it custom made so its pretty high dollar. i've also got a stalky 5 foot deep sea rod that i think is for trolling or something. other than that my rods are all pretty noodly.
>>
Does anyone fish without a license? i wanna know if its necessary if i wanna start fishing but dont wanna waste money if i end up not liking it
>>
so i finally got to the point where i could use my meme caster all day and not have a single backlash. but then i had one bad cast, spent half an hour picking the nest out, immediatley backlashed again, and i havent been able to cast it right since. i think that birds nest was just so bad that now i have ptsd and its triggered everytime i swing the rod. i dont know what the fuck happened and i;m really frustrated. i may never use it again.
>>
>>1046768
I have never been checked, but the penalties are really harsh if you get caught

Bread in the oven...
>>
>>1046769
Tie the end of the line to something then walk until your spool is about half full then keep the line tight and spool it back on.
>>
File: 1498534852064.jpg (106KB, 600x686px) Image search: [Google]
1498534852064.jpg
106KB, 600x686px
>>1046772
>>1046772
>>1046772
>>1046772
>>
>>1046768
in the past year i've had my license checked twice and i've gone fishing at least twice a week. once was opening day of trout season at a popular spot. is to be expected. the other was just a fluke DNR guy in the middle of nowhere.
odds are you'll be fine without one, but they're like 20 bucks and might save you from getting fucked.
>>
>>1046769
>>1046770
Also never been checked. Parks and wildlife guys approached me once though. I caught 4 dink largemouths in 10mins while they were investigating snails, so they came up to me and asked if the fishing was usually that easy.
>>
>>1046768
>debating between spending $20 dollars, or recieving a 200 dollar fine and losing all your gear
just get a license, dont be a poaching fuck.
>>
>>1046375
Huh didn't know that. I catch way more gaftopsails than hard heads though.
>>
>>1046765

If live lining, you need to be holding the rod. With bobbers, I'd have 2 or 3 max out.
>>
>>1046709

I always do best in afternoon, right before the sun goes down.
>>
>>1046778
>investigating snails
>>
>>1047480
One summer the pond got invested with zebra snails, so they were evaluating it. About 2 years later they drained the place and refilled it. Don't know the circumstance of draining it though.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.