[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I went out the other day...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 2017-06-17 07.14.26.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-17 07.14.26.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Just a day-long walkabout, didn't have time for more.
Found some mushies, had a coffee...
>>
File: mLESXN-i3_D2DrFkCTZ2cVA.jpg (11KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
mLESXN-i3_D2DrFkCTZ2cVA.jpg
11KB, 225x169px
I wanted to check something that I was thinking about for a while, but had no time to put it to the test.
I was curious how a simple twine would do for tarp setup.
It's lighter, thinner, than paracord, and it's also piss-cheap and natural, meaning I can burn it in a fire or even burry when leaving the camp site, for me it was always frustrating how much time it takes to pack up, fucking with all the cords and shit.
>>
File: not for fags.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
not for fags.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
Turned out, much to my own surprise, it's very good at the job - it's not only much less slippery & elastic, meaning it's easier to tighten, but it also is surprisingly strong.
I wanted to test how much pressure it can take till it brakes, pulled as strong as I could, and.... I ripped the tarp apart. And I'm not talking about those pussy ass, faggy "bushcrap" tarps, I use a regular, thick, 3m x 3m 260 grain tarpaulin.

So, it's twine for me from now on.
Just wanted to share.
>>
File: IMG_0009.jpg (356KB, 1036x777px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0009.jpg
356KB, 1036x777px
>>1043862
>>1043863
Twine (jute/sisal/hemp) also has the benefit of biodegrading relatively quickly innawoods so it doesn't contribute to litter. Plus birds and squirrels absolutely fucking love that shit for their nests. I use twine around my camping spot and even left out for a couple days whatever strands are scattered about get pulled apart by the wildlife to make nests. Any twine strands left out over winter basically rot away by summer.
>>
>>1043867
>of biodegrading relatively quickly innawoods so it doesn't contribute to litter.
Yis, my pint exactly.
>>
>>1043863
I can pop jute/sisal twine apart with a sharp tug just stretched between two hands. It has a breaking strength of around 20-25lbs.

It would probably serve alright for tie-outs, but not for a ridgeline and definitely not for anything load-bearing.

It also swells when wet, meaning knots that were tight will slip and you'll probably have to cut it to take your tarp down if it rains or is very humid overnight.
>>1043867
Maybe when buried but there's still sisal twine hanging out on various fence posts around my farm that my great-great grandfather put up in the early 1920's. I wouldn't consider almost 100 years and still holding woven wire to fence posts "relatively quickly".

It's definitely better than nylon/poly twine or any of the synthetic cordages though.

>>1043862
Buy some Amsteel, learn how to do marlinspike knots for your ridgeline or ridge guylines and taughtline knots for your ground guys, and have an even lighter setup that takes less than 2 minutes to put up and take down and will last longer than you'll live.
>>
>>1043862
Most people have swapped back to twine a few years ago. It's not good in high humidity or low temp situations though, and you probably shouldnt trust a great amount of weight.
---
I've been having some goddamn kids come into my land and having bonfires. I wouldn't mind but they're making them bigger and bigger and I come back in the morning and there's still embers.

How can I guarantee they fuck off permanently?
>>
>>1044080
Only two ways to guarantee they never come back are to either kill them or get them arrested for something with a mandatory life sentence.

Obviously neither is a particularly good solution, so I recommend going and talking to them.
>>
>>1044136
So you're saying I should blow them up?
>>
>>1044142
Well it would certainly accomplish the goal of making sure they never come back.
>>
>>1044059
The knots aren't slipping if they're becoming too tight to untie.
>>
>>1044243
I never said they become too tight to untie, I said they swell when wet and slip.

A knot doesn't have to be tight to be difficult or impossible to untie, the twine just has to be a bitch to work with. And wet twine counts as "a bitch to work with" as it starts popping fibers out of the twist. Which will bind up knots, even fairly loose ones.
>>
>>1044080
make your land haunted. like a scooby doo villain. except freddy is probably packing heat
>>
>>1044080

Get some buddies, drive up in big truck with floodlights on high, firing shotguns in the air, yelling redneck shit.

Shock 'n awe. Film for keks
>>
>>1044080
There was a story on /out/ once.... big, tall fat guy was drinking naked at home, some punks came on his land, he chased them with a shotgun, naked, yelling something blaberish.
They never came back.
I think he put some paint on his body too. Don't remember exactly.
>>
>>1044590
I like to sleep at night. I cant go up there every morning to check if there was a fire, or always watch the night sky for smoke. It has to be like autonomous. I put fences up and they pull them out of the ground.
>>
File: bank line.jpg (13KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
bank line.jpg
13KB, 225x300px
>>1043862
>simple twine would do for tarp setup.

No.... Get TARRED twine... AKA "bank line." It will be far more durable.

"SGT Knots" sells it on amazon and it comes in many different strengths in 1000+ foot spools. I have several. They save a ton of weight and size vs Paracord, which is basically overkill 99.9% of the time. Use it for tarps, boating, just about everything. One of my favorite /out/ items.
>>
>>1044692
Fucker.... I owe you a beer.
>>
>>1043861
>
this thread is so comf
>>
>>1044692
This twine is made completely out of nylon, so you are only saving on price.
>>
Interesting.
>>
>>1044677

You'd have a pretty good bet they'd be there on a fri/sat. Alternatively you could install some motion cams to alert you
>>
>>1044080
wire footsnares, bankline tripwires, and clear fishingline at neck height, all around their bonfire area; with a fresh NO TRESPASSING sign at their point of entry to your property
>>
>>1044677
damn, actually pulling it out? fuck that property destruction. i'd go with barbed wire fence at that point, and see if you can rig up an earsplitting alarm at one end or at the bottom of a post so if they destroy/pull on part of the fence, it pulls a tab or something
>>
>>1046405
Why do you even come to /out/
>>
>>1046410

Maybe also electrify the fence
>>
>>1044080
Maybe you can go and tell them to extinguish their fires properly before leaving first.
If that doesnt work, you can still shoot them or whatever,
>>
>>1043862
learn how to hank up cord. Takes like 10 seconds if you hold your hand right.
>>
>>1044080
Take a huge shitpiss at their spot every day. Let it pile up.
>>
>>1043861
I dont like mushrooms
>>
>>1044080
If you've met all the "no trespassing" requirements of your locality then call them in next time and say they have guns.
>>
Anyone else has experience with using twine? Do they really get shitty when wet?
>>
>>1048520
Yes you do.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.