[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SCUBA/Freedive/spearfishing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 20

File: IMG_1141.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1141.png
1MB, 1136x640px
Seems like there's a serious lack of enthusiasm for this topic, so post away!
>>
I'd love to learn to scuba but I'm not rich and my ears hurt when I'm only 8ft underwater
>>
>>1043612
I paid 350 to get scuba certified. After that you pay ~40 to rent all the gear you need to dive per trip. Or pay an extra 5 and get 2 tanks which is an easy 1 hour of diving. I'm far from rich but I saved up for it.

When I started freediving my ears hurt around 6 feet and I was out of breath at that point. If you clear your ears, or equalize by pinching your nose and gently exhaling, your ears won't hurt. I was able to hit 40 feet in a couple months time.
>>
>>1043605
>tfw used to be certified when I lived on the coast
>tfw moved to the midwest and I get my choice of diving in 3 different flavors of broken-glass-bottomed coffee colored water with visibility of <10"
I'll still throw on a snorkel and fins on vacation somewhere salty but I haven't worn a SCUBA tank in 8 years and probably never will again. Shit sucks.
>>
>>1043636
Cert lasts for a lifetime, rent some gear next vacation!
>>
File: cuyuna mine pit lakes.jpg (122KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
cuyuna mine pit lakes.jpg
122KB, 620x349px
>>1043605

I'm going on leave (Armyfag here) back home to North Dakota. I was planning on going spearfishing on Lake Sakakawea. I'm excited as I've never done it before.

After that, I'll probably head to Minnesota and do some good freshwater diving in the lakes there.
>pic related

Also, has anyone ever heard anything about oil rig diving? I'm stationed in Louisiana, and there's hundreds of abandoned rigs between Texas and Alabama that I've heard are prime artificial reefs.
>>
>>1043705
Is fresheater diving boring? No reef or tropical fish seems meh.

Also do you have the gear for spearfishing or are you renting/borrowing?
>>
>>1043682
I'll need a refresher before I do it again though. I've forgotten too much.
>>
>>1043705
My PADI instructor talked about his experience spearfishing on some Oil rigs off of Texas. He said that it was cool to see the ecosystems on the rig change as you go down in depths. Because you have the rig as reference I guess it made it easier to see the literal levels of aquatic organisms that occupy the water at different depths.
>>
File: cenote halocline.jpg (29KB, 440x242px) Image search: [Google]
cenote halocline.jpg
29KB, 440x242px
>>1043712

It's really depends on what lake/river you're diving. I've dove in some very awesome lakes in Minnesota with 30+ feet of visibility and abundant wildlife, to some with 5 feet and seeing nothing but sand/silt and vegetation. It's better than not diving at all, though.

By far, my favorite freshwater dive is the Yucatan cenotes. Lots of various tropical fish species, like the ones you'd find in an aquarium. Another thing that really blew my mind is the various haloclines, where freshwater and saltwater meet.
But most notable is the cave formations that formed millions of years ago, plus various marine fossils embedded in the limestone is also really cool to look at. (Some cenotes also have human skeletal remains)
I'll be renting the speargun, although one day I'd like to get my own. We'll see how it goes.
>>
>>1043724
That's fucking cool
>>
Man, I'd love to learn to dive. I recently really had a desire to get into it. I'm a terrible swimmer though. Like I can't tread water. The only time I've ever swam (like propelled myself through water without touching any surface), I didn't breathe. I just swam face-down in 3ft. deep water and stopped and stood up when I needed to take a breath. I looked into some local diving classes, and they all have prerequisites like being able to swim 100m. I fucking suck.
>>
>>1043792
As long as you keep air in your vest you will float or remain neutral buoyancy and you won't drown if you have the breathing apparatus in your mouth so there's that
>>
>>1043810
Yeah, but I feel like swimming with no gear is just a good skill to have, but especially a good skill for any weird emergency situation that during scuba diving.

I guess I could make it a goal to learn. It's kind of refreshing to try to learn something that doesn't have to do with work or school.
>>
I have an embarrassing question.

How do learn to open my eyes underwater?
My nose is also really sensitive to water going up it and I don't wanna wear a nose pin at the beach. Am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>1044088
Blow air out your nose when you go underwater to keep water out but you just have to get use to having your eyes open underwater
>>
File: IMG_2017.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2017.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
This is how the ocean where I /out/ looks like, is it safe to shore based spearfishing instead of going on a boat? Also can someone show their complete gear?
>>
>>1044088
Wear goggles m8
>>
>>1044254
Bring a float with a dive flag and you should be fine if you're in decent shape, but you should always go with a buddy.

When I'm freediving I just use pretty cheap rubber fins, mask and snorkel. I live in Hawaii so I don't really need a wetsuit. Soon I'm upgrading to pic related, carbon fiber fins and I'm getting a 1.5 mm rashgaurds with a loading chest pad for speargun.
>>
File: IMG_1500.jpg (84KB, 315x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1500.jpg
84KB, 315x375px
>>1044279
>>
>>1044275
I do. I want to be able to swim without them.
>>
This thread needs youngbloods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQ29aHACwA&t=7s

>fucking aussies and their chill out way of life
>>
>>1044088

opening yours eyes under water just takes some practice, but in salt water its going to sting, and you will get send and shit in your eyes and you wont be able to see very well anyway because your eyes developed to see in air, not water because of like, lens shape and refractive indexes and shit
>>
>>1044254

watch some youtube vids about spotting rip tides and what to do in a rip, take a float with a flag like the other guy said and pay attention to tide times, a lot of people think it is best to dive on a slack high tide
>>
File: cool-fish-baby-lumpsucker-cute.jpg (26KB, 431x509px) Image search: [Google]
cool-fish-baby-lumpsucker-cute.jpg
26KB, 431x509px
>>1044290

that youngbloods shit is fucking trash tier, nothing but slow motion ass shots, jump cuts and drone shots and shitty zyzz tier music, its like the epitome of instagram posturing

here, take some FreeDiverHD - chill music, good editing, impressive dives and a lot of actual informative content on his channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5rTdTLFdMQ
>>
>>1044803
>nothing but slow motion ass shots
Nothing wrong with that desu baka senpai.

>here, take some FreeDiverHD - chill music, good editing, impressive dives and a lot of actual informative content on his channel
>I*rael
I'd rather not.
>>
>>1044806

>watches totally vacuous and degenerate videos made for clickbait jewing on social media

>refuses to watch a white south african diving a nice wreck at a good depth just because it happens to be in israel

wow, way to resist the programming zogbot
>>
>>1044840
>>watches totally vacuous and degenerate videos
>I don't like it so nobody is allowed to

>pls watch this (((white south african))) diving in stolen land
You sure convinced me to watch, bernstein.
>>
>>1044849

whatever you say Hassan
>>
>>1044858
>old tricks in 2017
.2 shekels were deposited into your bank account, schlomo.
>>
>>1044849

>diving in stolen land
>Whites treat the land better than the niggers that inhabit it
>>
>>1044928
>"""""""""""Whites"""""""""""
>>
>>1044803
The music often sucks, but I love the Youngbloods videos. Beautiful scenery, beautiful women, and just cool atmosphere. Super jealous of those guys and the things they get to see and do.
>>
>>1043605
Have any of you raged underwater?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ia376QKMHM
>>
I started working at a Diver's Supply store in between the college semester. I'll be doing my check /out/ dive soon and I'm going to knock as much of the ERDI stuff as possible out before nursing school consumes all of my time.
>>
Anyone have any experience with commercial diving? Looks pretty demanding but apparently the pay is good
>>
>>1045291
I know a lot of people that do it, kind of sucks, you never dive anywhere good and the viz always sucks but the pay is good after you get the training and all that shit
>>
>>1044290
yeah but on the other hand they have to live in australia...with other australians
>>
File: 1498208973728.png (375KB, 487x780px) Image search: [Google]
1498208973728.png
375KB, 487x780px
>>1045635
>implying that's any bad
Strayans are fucking noice.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 640x543px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 640x543px
>>1045635
Jealous, it's great there.
>>
>>1044943

Like I said before, better than the natives.
>>
I want to dive but I haven't gone swimming since I was about 10 years old and I don't know anyone that's interested in going with me. If I go by myself like this, how quickly will I die?
>>
>>1045291
My uncle does this. It sounds scary as fuck, he's told me stories of guys exploding in diving bells and stuff. But it pays really well, like 200-300k a year. He has a nice big house in California with a big backyard and was easily able to support like, 3 kids and a kinda bitchy cat lady wife.
>>
>>1045243

serves that fag right for spearing on scuba
>>
>>1045786
is that even legal? In my country I think is either illegal or you are only allowed a small amount of fish.
>>
>>1045794

its legal in the US, illegal pretty much everywhere else i think, unless you are targeting invasive species or something maybe
>>
>>1045699
>Implying there were any natives
>>
>>1044849

but judaism is a semetic religion native to the region, and predates islam by at least 1600 years... hmmm
>>
>>1044279
>>1044800
Yeah, I have spent some time reading and watching videos about spearfishing and despite still being very interested in trying it, it seems like I really need to find someone to learn from and dive with. Tides and shit like blackout can really fuck one person up.
Do you guys did any courses?
>>
>>1044803
slowmo ass shots and fish getting killed

you gay bruh
>>
File: 1427608473545.gif (2MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1427608473545.gif
2MB, 600x338px
>>1047179
I couldn't find and buddies as-well, so I practiced breathhold swiming in an olympic pool for a while and then took a course, it was worth it, I picked up a lot of confidence and the staff set me up with other divers.
>>
>>1047310

never seen them actually shoot a fish, they probably buy that shit from a charter fishing boat on the quay before they go out and just film themselves holding it out of the water
>>
File: GlockLionfishing-880x543.jpg (37KB, 880x543px) Image search: [Google]
GlockLionfishing-880x543.jpg
37KB, 880x543px
delet this
>>
Diving seems really fun and cool, but then I see shit like this: https://youtu.be/YhPdB5fxKA0

I love the ocean and would like to get a scuba certification, but how do I get past the nervousness that something like that video will happen?
>>
>>1048995
Always dive with a buddy and know that most place you go will be group diving lead by a divemaster.
It look like the guy in the video was diving by himself.
>>
Can anyone recommend any spearfishing spots around santa barbara or san diego county areas? I want to get into it, but then again I should probably get gud at normal fishing first
>>
>>1049066
It almost seems like he went down 300 ft without realizing. He had the wrong equipment to go down that far, and he would've realized it. So why did he do it? Was he taking a risk? Was it nitrogen narcosis? Or was he not paying attention and by the time he realized his mistake it was too late? It's petty disturbing to me that you could accidentally go that deep if you're not paying attention, and by the time you realize what's happening you're already dead. Imagine drowning under 300 ft of water, all alone. Thoughts like that are what make me hesitant about diving, even though I really like the ocean. Maybe I just won't go anywhere that has a depth of >100 ft...
>>
>>1045243
RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: photo_2017-07-03_19-38-42.jpg (131KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-07-03_19-38-42.jpg
131KB, 960x1280px
>>1043605
About a half a year ago I got divorced after 6 years of marriage, had some issues with alcohol, tabacco and MJ and obviously touched the bottom a little, but my friend pulled me out somehow and now we dive.
1st open water dive - the spot is right near our dive center, bad weather, visibility, like, 1.5 m or so, cold and uncomfortable as fuck in this borrowed wetsuit, the mask leaks, feels like wtf I never gonna do it again.
2nd open water dive - same spot, but the weather is nice, visibility is much better, I brought my new mask and a drysuit and this time it was quite fun. Did the second dive that day after I refilled my 15L steel tank.
3rd open water dive - we flip backwards from the boat like in the movies, descending to the stone steps some 18 m below. Pure awesomeness. Lots of fish, stars and hedgehogs, great view, sunrays through the water and shit. That was better than sex.
4th dive - I saw SEALS! And even filmed them!
So far, may every next dive was way better than previous.
Also, check out my new drygloves, arrived just yesterday.
>>
>>1043818
learning to swim is an essential skill my guy, go do it
>>
>>1051683
noice
>>
My school offers a SCUBA class and at the end of the course you get a certification. What I'd like to know is, how's the work for an amateur diver? Will I be able to jump into the industry even with not very much money, or is it saturated to the point where I'd need several years of diving experience?
>>
>>1052439
Probably you'll get a very basic certification.
Tech divers are on a much higher level
>>
>>1052470
So, I should expect to put in a couple of years of work after the cert if I wanted to dive full time then?
>>
>>1052477
I'm sorry but it's not my field, I can't advice you on that, I'm a novice myself.
You should talk to a class instructor.
>>
Can someone recommend me a decent set? I have a budget of about 1.5k
I prefer not to rent things.

Also are there any databanks of knowledge out there I should read before getting into it?
>>
>>1044806
your supposed to censor the first vowel of the word arent you? so it would be
Isr*el
>>
File: josefarmer.jpg (51KB, 305x474px) Image search: [Google]
josefarmer.jpg
51KB, 305x474px
Anybody knowledgeable about O2 and CO2 tables? If i'm not getting any contractions or discomfort doing my CO2 table, do i lower my rest times or increase my hold times?

I'm just using a standard table this free app based on a 2:40 max hold

2:30 - 1:20
2:15 - 1:20
2:00 - 1:20
1:45 - 1:20
1:30 - 1:20
1:15 - 1:20
1:00 - 1:20
1:00 - 1:20

Should i just drop all the rests by 15 seconds?
>>
Has anyone else ever played rock games?
>get head size rock
>walk around bottom of shallow-ish water
funner mode:
>get head size rock
>put on paddleboard and paddle out to deep water
>hop off holding rock and plummet like superman gone kamikaze
>hang on until ear pop, water is freezing and black, pressure is noticable
>panic like fuck and orient yourself and run out of breath on way up
>smile with bloodshot eyes and tell your buddies it's fun
>>
File: IMG_6187.jpg (174KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6187.jpg
174KB, 1920x1080px
>>1043605
Anyone here spring dive in FL? Trying to find some new spots
>>
>>1045243
Not very well versed in SCUBA but isn't one of the main rules to stay calm and collected so you don't black out from breathing too quickly?
>>
File: baby snow leopard.jpg (34KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
baby snow leopard.jpg
34KB, 500x358px
>>1051683
nice job finding a buddy and getting through the issues. diving is amazing and really life changing. unfortunately I have to call bullshit on your story since hedgehogs only live on land
>>
>>1052477
there's a big difference between making a living in recreational diving vs commercial diving. you'll need significantly more than basic certification for either
>>
>>1052439

Have a look at the cost of air diving courses and decide if you are willing to make the investment, from what i have read casually in a couple of articles, it can be quite a competitive affair to get work in a lot of commercial diving areas
>>
File: sea_hedgehog_by_fairone.jpg (98KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
sea_hedgehog_by_fairone.jpg
98KB, 900x600px
>>1053159
Sea hedgehog, man
>>
>>1043612
That other guy is right, the ear pain goes away with practice. If you go swimming every day for a week you won't feel sharp pain anymore by Friday.

Also ear pain isn't linearly related to depth, after one atmosphere the pain won't really increase any more in my experience. The first time i put on a tank in class my ears hurt like crazy at ten feet, but after like five minutes it eased up until I could get down to 16 feet comfortably. By the fifth class I didn't feel pain, just the need to clear my ears as I descended.
>>
>>1043705
Rig diving is really popular and there's a bunch of dive charter operators running out of Houston and the Texas coast. They don't really run out of Louisiana though since it takes so long to get to the Gulf from New Orleans/Venice and that's about the closest you can get without a seaplane or boat. Also the visibility anywhere near the Mississippi delta is abysmal due to the giant cloud of sediment that pours into the gulf. Most Louisiana Dive shops organize trips to Texas to hit the rigs pretty regularly. Another option is to drive to the Florida panhandle and dive in the springs and caves. The visibility in those first thing in the morning is basically unlimited and the water is like 65 degrees year round.

The legs make great reefs though, they have a lot of diversity and the water is really clear over by Texas. Spearfishing is really popular, but somebody is always killing themselves on the rigs because they run out of air stalking some giant fish. An even more popular option is to dive to like 200 feet on regular air, which uses air way faster than they did at 100 feet. They then realize they've got 10 minutes of air left and then proceed to decompress like a mother fucker on the way up. So you got to hope your trip isn't called early by one of those fun guys.
>>
>>1045291
Submersibles are slowly edging out the really high paying gigs like rig work or saturation diving. All the divers over 30 I knew were pretty worn out, but they were mostly degenerates so that might be self inflicted and unrelated to the actual diving. Other than that it seems pretty good here on the gulf coast. Oil is down so the market is a little saturated right now though.
>>
>>1048995
If you take a course you start in a pool that's at the very maximum 30 feet, so you won't be at any risk. Even if your equipment were to have a billion to one catastrophic failure you are in a shallow pool with at least one trained rescue diver, so you would be fine.

Blue holes tend to rack up pretty high body counts because they attract the more extreme divers. You will know the depth of every dive you take before you even get on the boat, and if you stick to reefs and such you can stay at like forty feet all the time if you're really afraid.

Cave diving and retards make up 100% what few SCUBA deaths there are.
>>
>>1052439
SCUBA and Commercial certifications are not the same thing, no one will hire a guy who is only SCUBA certified. Their insurance can't cover you and you won't have any idea how to operate a hat. You could clean sailboat hulls at the local marina, but that's about it.

Think of the difference between a private pilot's license and a military pilot.
>>
>>1053115
Yeah, where have you been?
Do you cave dive?
>>
>>1053880

not a good example, its more like the difference between a hobbyist paramotor pilot and a commercial/military pilot
>>
>>1053884
Yeah, I've been to all of the typical diving springs but none of them stood out to me as much as the buford sink in pic related. You have to walk through straight up swamp to get to, not a really good time to visit now because of a shit ton of bugs
>>
>>1045812
I thought it depended on the state in the US?

Here in Australia it is state dependent. I know it's legal in Victoria and Western Australia and illegal in New South Wales. Not sure about other states.

People get all uppity about spearfishing on scuba, but really, it has its merits. I mean if you're in a region with little coastal reef and sharp, deep drop offs, you may not have any other choice but to spearfish off scuba. I mean, if all the fish in your area are at 40m depth, good look freediving down to that depth, let alone staying long enough to hunt. I mean, you could berley up at a shallower depth to try and draw some fish up, but it's not always that easy.

Morally I don't see the outrage. Freedivers get all offended and say it's not fair. Realistically whether you're freediving or diving on scuba, either way you have a gun. I mean you're using technological advantages either way. Why is one fair and the other not? If you're hunting for food rather than sport, who cares about fair anyway?

I've done both and they both have their merits. freedive spearfishing is a lot more fun though and generally lets you cover more area.
>>
>>1045713
Swimming and scuba are completely different. You can be the worst swimmer in the world and still be a fantastic diver. To get certified you only need to be able to 'swim' 100m with fins and a snorkel, which is laughably easy.

That said though, solo diving is best left for people who are experienced. There are solo diving courses, but the ones i've seen require you to have 100 logged dives before they'll take you on. For good reason too. Solo diving requires heaps of redundancy in case shit hits the fan. But realistically if you don't even know how to use your primary equipment properly then redundancy equipment is, well, redundant.
>>
>>1053124
Eh, at recreational depths you have a bit of wiggle room for freak outs. You'll just use your air up quicker and have to come up sooner. Most people new to diving are freaking out constantly. One of the reasons someone fresh to the sport will go through a tank of air in like 20 minutes, where as a seasoned pro will make the same tank last 2 hours at the same depth.

Especially true when the new diver sees a shark for the first time. That's usually a dive where the air runs out real quick

When you're doing tec dives at like 100m and shit, a freak out will kill you really quickly.
>>
>>1055340

spearfishing on breathhold at 30-40 meters isnt normal sure but it isnt that uncommon, some madmen go to 50-60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nwi3WQB8PY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lIWfbGb9g
>>
Gearing up time, looking at dive computers. Trying to decide between a Suunto Zoop (buy cheap, get a really nice Shearwater in a few years when I actually may need it), or either the Mares Icon HD (new) or Aqualung I750TC (used). Both have air integration and can do Nitrox, so should last for quite a while until I start wanting to look at Trimix or CCR. Kind of leaning towards the Mares to avoid buying used and because Aqualung just got brought out by some shitbag equity firm (so long-term support could be a crapshoot). Has anyone had a chance to try both?
>>
>>1055792
I'm going to buy my very 1st dive computer and it's going to be Suunto Vyper because it's cheap. I would definitely go for some air integrated unit, but my budget is crap (I already have spent tons of money on my drysuit and a new wing) and my regulator only has 1 HP port anyways.
>>
>>1055632
Yeah that's what I mean, it's doable but definitely not the norm. If you're in an area where the fish are at that depth 99% of people will either be getting fish on a line or on scuba. Cool if you're the 1% freediving that deep to spear a fish, but it's kinda dickish to turn up your nose at everyone else who doesn't.

Reminds me of another point: not everyone wants to make a hobby of it. Some people just want fish to eat. If you already know how to scuba dive and want some fish, why not take a speargun with you when you dive? Why should you be required to take expensive freediving lessons and train for months/years to dive that deep, if freediving doesn't interest you?

Not trying to shit on breath hold spearfishing. As I said, I prefer it personally. But freedivers tend to get uppity about just about everyone else that uses the water.
>>
>>1055792
>>1056122
http://www.aqualung.com/us/trade-up
>>
>>1056243

I've seen guys local to me posting pics to facebook of their catches on scuba, and they are not doing it just to feed themselves, they also frequently dive in areas that are only 10-15 meters, and solo, accidents waiting to happen and almost certainly illegally selling their catches.

I'm not saying this is true of all scuba spearfishers, and i think its a great method for combating invasive species on reefs.
>>
Hi im new
Is there a all round decent mid range brand for scuba stuff?
>>
File: seal.webm (939KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
seal.webm
939KB, 1280x960px
>>
>>1053101
Which app do you have? Apnea?

First of all: don't breathe like an idiot before holding. It lowers your CO2 level, which might be a cause for you not to have contractions. Dangerous as fuck, because you could just pass out with little to no warning.

Just increase the max hold time and the app should do the rest. I use Apnea, is bretty nais. Max hold so far is 5:05
>>
>>1058978
>1058978
Was this on the north-east coast off of the U.K. by any chance? The vegetation seems really similar to a place I have been diving with seals. Awesome animals, behave exactly like dogs and like to nibble on colourful fins
>>
>>1058999
Yep - Farne islands. I have yellow fins - having something tugging your fin as you try to focus on what you're doing is very off putting!

Great animals though. So playful.
>>
>>1058996

I was using one called Apnea Tables, but increase max hold time just made the tables take way longer and i would only begin to get contractions on the last cycle.
I switched to an app called Anaerobic which lets you make totally custom tables and now im doing 10-12 cycles of 12 seconds for 1 exhale and inhale, and 1 minute holds, its better i think, the contractions come on sooner but the hold isnt so long that i can't fight them to the end of the hold and i can get it all done quicker.
>>
>>1058978
Can you spearfish seals?
>>
>>1059049
pretty sure those are protected species out there anon. The Farne Island are protected in general (special types of birds and all). There are quite a bunch of fisherman out there and each day charter boats for fisherman go out into the harbour.
>>
>>1059006
We have been to the same place anon! Did you have a boat with a diver elevator as well? Comfy as fuck.

I quite enjoyed the chewing on my fins, although they would go away quickly after I spotted them. My buddy was a bit braver and played around with them, he actually got bit. Just a playbite though, didn't even bleed. Just some punctures in his wetsuit.
>>
>>1059014
If you want to speed it up, do apnea walking. Sounds weird, but it is just holding your breath during walking. That'll get you some contractions for sure. If not, start running. What is it you are actually training for? Want to swim far underwater? Improve \fit/ness? Just for shits n giggles?
>>
>>1043615
Scuba rentals are only $40???
Jeez.
My school has a SCUBA certification program for under $200, maybe I should look into it.
>>
File: Fuckingmoth.jpg (3KB, 135x90px) Image search: [Google]
Fuckingmoth.jpg
3KB, 135x90px
>>1059133
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9c7sOX8D0Y
>>
>>1059133
Do it
>>
>>1059061

doing an AIDA ** course in a few months, only freedived casually up until now, just want to make sure the only thing i am really worrying about on the course is finning technique and equalization
>>
>>1059277
In that case I can really recommend the walks, since it is sort of similar to what you will need. Sitting still and holding your breath is really different to moving around and holding your breath. Also, you get to be /out/!
>>
How in the flying fuck are these Poseidon 'quick-release' pockets supposed to release?! The big-ass handle on the side pulls out, but all it seems to do is pull two wires out of two slots, but those wires aren't actually holding anything together.
>>
went spearing a couple days ago, going again the in am

Spearfishing is the best time I've ever had fishing

>be me a few days ago
>it's like spring time underwater
>everything it blooming, so much vegetation
>swimming through a huge cloud of bubble
>no wait those aren't bubbles
>hundreds of thousands of tiny baby fish no bigger than your nail and I'm swimming through them
>spot a good size pike
>sink real low, aim my gun up over some water grass
>shoot that mother fucker

26-27 inch pike, several sunfish, and a really big bass that I lost because I forgot to secure my stringer
>>
>>1060166
Herp-a-derp, don't try and assemble gear when half asleep. The bolts have holes in the heads the wires thread through, instead of the bolts themselves passing through the punched holes in the mounting panel.
>>
>>1043612
You gotta equalize my friend. Pinch your nose and blow out it once you start to feel pressure. You should hear a pop and the pain will go away.
If you can't do this however I wouldn't recommend diving.
Make sure you don't have a cold because it will prevent your sinuses from equalizing. You'll know if you can't though feels like being hit in the face with a hammer.
>>
>>1044088
I have the same issue, not really the eyes thing but the water sensitive nose. You just gotta do it and get used too it. Breath out your nose underwater and try not to choke up when the water get in.
>>
Wanna know the best part about spearfishing?

Fuck no one does it. I don't have to wait for shit. The whole lake is mine. My diver down flag keeps the boats at bay. So many fucking fish
>>
>>1053105
Anon's final post
>>
>>1055792
I got a Zoop and it does the job, nothing fancy though. I only really wanted it to tell me about safety stops.
>>
>>1062130
In the end I ended up with a Galileo Sol w/ transmitter at a pretty decent price.
>>
>>1062130
Would you recommend the zoop? I love suunto's hiking watches and have been considering a zoop.
>>
>>1058701
>a great method for combating invasive species on reefs.
They actually set up tournaments for this, I think one had over 8000 lionfish speared.
>>
>>1062458
I'd recommend - I'm the anon who posted the seal webm above.

I've done a shit lot of diving on air and nitrox with the zoop all over the world and down to in excess of 50m. For the money its a great computer that will give you a solid start to rec diving.
>>
>>1062660
Sweet thanks. What'd you use to film that video btw?
>>
File: zoop.webm (2MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
zoop.webm
2MB, 1280x960px
>>1062706
With my old GoPro Hero3

(I do not encourage people to do this depth without training and practice. Lots of both)
>>
>>1063546
Awesome i have a hero5 and was wondering how it'd do on a dive.

That's meters I assume?
>>
>>1063641
>That's meters I assume?

Of course - its 2017 what other unit of measurement would you use.
>>
File: Thinking_emoji_gif.gif (2MB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking_emoji_gif.gif
2MB, 460x259px
Anyone know how i can properly practice holding my breathe? I want to get better at free diving
>>
>>1063662
parsecs
>>
>>1043712
i hear the midwest has some great diving if you know where to look. bruce peninsula, ontario, wreck diving up north in michigan. some people dive quarries too. this place is in the middle of a cornfield, in ohio.....scuba, cornfield, OHIO....have fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZc55iQyWz8
>>
File: photo_2017-07-20_17-40-22.jpg (150KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-07-20_17-40-22.jpg
150KB, 1280x960px
How was your Womens Diver Day, anon?
>>
Any divers or spearbros in Miami?
>>
>>1060303
That sounds awesome, where were you at?
>>
>>1058701
As you said, not true of all. There's arseholes in literally every activity/hobby. I mean, just look at land hunting. The few idiots exceeding their bag limits and shooting things they shouldn't be shooting shouldn't serve as a reason to cast a shadow on all the people doing the right thing though.

End of the day, if a scuba spearo is keeping within local laws and bag limits, I really don't see a problem.
>>
>>1069103

Midwest US
South Dakota

lake spearing but spearing nonetheless
>>
>>1053115
I did Blue Grotto. Certainly touristy, but I thoroughly enjoyed.
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.