/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Squirrel hunting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

Hey guys, I ordered an air rifle recently (Crosman 2400kt) and I plan to plink and hunt small game, namely squrriels. I have never hunted before and i feel like there's some things I need to know. For one I know to look up hunting rules for me area. But what I want to ask you guys is is it a good idea to eat the squirrels I shoot? I hate to just shoot them for fun, I'd like to be at least using them. I live in a small neighborhood, would urban squirrels be ok to eat? Or would they be all wormy? And is it possible to tan the fur? I have no idea if I could do anything with squrriel fur but having the option seems appealing.

Many thanks!!
>>
I'd be wary of using an air rifle in an urban setting. How urban are we talking?
>>
>>1043430
i'd be wary of eating "game" caught in an urban setting.
>>
>>1043450
This too. You don't want to eat anything that feeds off city floors
>>
>>1043430
Sorry for not specifying. I live in a quiet suburban neighborhood with plenty of trees and a nice back yard. Nothing like a city. The squirrels aren't eating out of trash cans very often as there isn't a lot of trash left out. They hang out in my back yard with the birds and eating whatever they find on the grass.
>>
>>1043450
>>1043456
this anon, I was considering eating some doves i killed but then realized that I'm way too close to the city livings
>>
>>1043470
First, make sure air rifles are legal to use in your area. Even if they're legal at the state/territory level a lot of municipalities prohibit their use.

Second, they should be safe to eat but like ALL wild game, if it has parasites you can see or you're at all sketched out about it, trash it. Always inspect all wild game, and avoid cooking any wild game below "medium"/whatever you're comfortable cooking commercial pork to (~180*F/85*C).
>>
>>1043426
>I hate to just shoot them for fun

if you are killing animals because it's fun, you should seek counseling
>>
>>1043646

Is that directed at me? Or are you just stating it?
>>
>>1043698
yes

it's one thing to kill animals that are repeatedly getting into and damaging your property, or for the purpose of eating them (not likely with rodents), but doing so to get some pleasure out of it is troubling
>>
>>1043710
People take pleasure in the process of hunting without necessarily taking pleasure in the process of the animal's death. You're being pedantic
>>
>>1043717
walking outside and shooting something sitting in a tree a short distance above you isn't exactly the "hunting experience"; not much beyond fish in a barrel

at least try for something a bit more sporting...opossums, raccoons
>>
>>1043426
The general rule for hunting/eating squirrels is to do so after the second frost of the season. They get these parasites on there skin that go away in the winter time. The meat is pretty good, sorta taste like beef with a consistency of chicken. That is the best way I can think to describe it. Also in most places I have seen there will be a hunting season for them so you might want to look into that to avoid any poaching laws.
>>
>>1043710
I specifically said "I hate to just shoot them for fun" implying I do not want to just shoot them for the sake of shooting them.
>>
>>1043456

There is nothing wrong with that. There is a nice higher end restaurant in the u.s. that kills and cooks wild squirrel and that live in the city.

Just dont be a retard, look for the obvious signs that the meat is fine, then follow proper cooking protocols.
>>
>>1043426
Use heavier lead pellets for taking squirrels, make sure you pump it to 800fps. BBs are for target shooting.

>>1043430
legally in the US an air rifle is not a firearm.
>>
>>1043646
I enjoy killing. Why shouldn't I derive pleasure from a task that eliminates pests, gets me food and strikes fear into my enemies?
>>
>>1044165
Most larger cities prohibit their use within city limits anyway.

Same deal with bows, crossbows, slingshots, atl-atls, and anything else capable of throwing a projectile at anything remotely close to lethal velocities.

Hell 20% of all municipalities in the US have outlawed the use of paintball guns within city limits due to rampant vandalism with them.

Just because something is legal at the state or federal level doesn't mean you have free license to do it wherever you want.
>>
>>1043470
During the season I sometimes shoot squirrels and rabbits that come in to my yard and eat them. No different from what I shoot in the woods.
>>
>>1044167
>and strikes fear into my enemies?
Ahahaha... You're fucking serious aren't you?
>>
File: IMG.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Enough jibber jabber. Post squirrel hunting pics.
>>
File: IMG.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>
File: IMG.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>
File: 1479350591711.jpg (23KB, 177x181px) Image search: [Google]
1479350591711.jpg
23KB, 177x181px
>>1045235
>>1045236
>>1045238
Apex predator.
>>
>>1045600
Behold nature's bounty mah nigga
>>
File: IMG_5195.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5195.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1045235
>>
>>1043426
Squirrels aren't pests like rats, they actually are important and serve a role in tree health
>>
How can I cook rodents to ensure they are safe to eat?
>>
>>1045853
Well done. Most ppl make some kind of stew. Check the organs when you gut them to make sure nothing looks out of place. I have also used Jamaican jerk spice on squirrel it's very good baked or roasted.
>>
Tree squirrel is very good eating, ground squirrel not so much, you can make a small drum out of ground squirrel hides
>>
Where does one typically hunt small game like squirrels and rabbits?
>>
>>1047510
I generally try and find new(er) growth birch and poplar. I am in Minnesota so YMMV.

As for what type of land I hunt
>>
>>1047510
Check out your state DNR site and find some public land. Unlike medium and large game there is not much competition for small game so it is generally very accessible. In my own experience I hardly ever see another squirrel hunter out there. I saw two or three last year through out the entire hunting season at a popular and accessible spot.
>>
>>1043426
1.) As for the taste of squirrel, it's very good but the texture is very tough and gummy. The best way to cook them is to make a roast or even a soup. Season it heavily.

2.) Hunting strategy: You will have to wing it when it comes to suburban hunting. Here's a guide to hunting in the woods. Squirrels are very alert and suspicious (probably not in an urban setting though.) They are known as nature's alarm. Other animals that hear the squirrels distress calls know exactly where you are (deer hunters take this into account). The key is to get into a new-growth/riparian forest and sit and wait at the base of a tree. If one squirrel alerts to your presence, you might as well throw in the towel. If you shoot one before it alarms, you are good to go. Stealth, shoot, repeat. They are more afraid of alarm calls than they are of gunshots believe it or not. Good calibers include pellet guns, .22, or .410. Hope this helps.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.