[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a thread about these little woodgas stoves? Does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: 71jW0h-r1pL._SL1500_.jpg (174KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71jW0h-r1pL._SL1500_.jpg
174KB, 1500x1500px
Can we have a thread about these little woodgas stoves?
Does anyone have one?
Are they as cool as they seem or total bunk?
>>
I have one of the smaller ones. They're efficient but not too hot. If you want to do serious cooking you need to foil the food, put it inside, and keep the fire burning on top
>>
>>1043175
They are nice in that they are small. Putting out the fire can be a problem if you are done cooking and don't want to wait for the stove to burn out. As with all these types of stoves, the larger they are the better they perform for efficiency and BTUs for cooking. Meaning that you shouldn't try to boil a gallon of water on a small stove. Try boiling 2 cups of water instead.

I prefer rocket stoves.
>>
I have one that I made. You can make them pretty easily from a coffee can. They don't last forever but when one breaks I can just build another.
>>
File: 2013-10-10_15-04-10_520.jpg (1MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2013-10-10_15-04-10_520.jpg
1MB, 1840x3264px
>>1043175
Get the toaks titanium. It's fantastic and not very expensive. Or you can make one for basically free from tin cans. That one won't last forever, but it's basically free and they are very light. Just make sure you put some stabilizers on the bottom. The home made one I use now uses two notched fondue skewers and it works great.
>>
What is a good size to get?
The ones I see on amazon seem to be about 5 inches in diameter
>>
File: IMG_20151002_211927_496.jpg (924KB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151002_211927_496.jpg
924KB, 3264x1840px
>>1043830
Base you stoves size on the primary pot you intend to cook with. it's bottom should fit in or even nest down in the secondary combustion chamber with room for the stove to still breath and vent.
This is my primary right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYeqHyjcD8
This guys mods are excellent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxKFtMG63IA

Also a carpenters pencil sharpener is great for tinder with very little effort or risk of injury. You just need a dry fatty stick about a pencils width and you sharpen it until you have a nice fistfull of shavings. The only downside is that it can be a challenge to maintain a steady temp. Here's a couple I made out of a pair of stainless wine chillers.
>>
>>1043793
>>1043856
I thought that the toaks did not gassify
>>
>>1044154
It is extremely rare that stoves advertised as or said to be "gasifiers" actually gasify. They almost always need to be forced air or are usually too short to go without forced air.
>>
>>1044162
So the toaks does not gassify?
>>
>>1044217
Not even in the slightest. You can see that instantly from all their advertising photos. the flames are just massive orange-yellow, that blacken the bottom of the cooking vessels. They are not remotely "high efficiency" as advertised. Check their promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYeqHyjcD8

8 minutes into the video and on it just gets worse and worse, regarding efficiency. Not only does it start blackening the bottom, but the entire sides from top to bottom. The term "woodgas" and "gasifier" are marketing slogans in the manner "organic" is a marketing slogan. Only 99% of the time it is used completely incorrectly, unlike "organic".

But, hey, the important part is that it will leave you with a warm meal. Who cares if the pot is coated in soot right?
>>
>>1044225
I thought everyone swore by these
Are the battery powered ones better?
I hate the idea of carrying batteries i na woods
>>
On any of these, if you can see flame that looks like it is coming out of the holes on the top lip, it is gassifying.
You do not need blue flame to have gassification .
This is a myth
>>
>>1043856
So for using a cast iron skillet i need a great big one?
>>
>>1044710
Fire is fire for most people.

>>1044893
All wood burning has gasificiation in it to some extent. Naming these stoves gasifiers however should be a crime.
>>
How many btus do these things put out?
>>
>>1045431
No that rule is mostly for boiling water quickly. I have used them to actually cook with and even to grill on. Its just that 50 to 75% of the time cooking for me consists of needing to boil water. Also a good pair of pruning shears are fantastic if you use one of these.
>>
>>1046049
>good pair of pruning shears
This is a good idea, will look on amazon for some
>>
>>1046023
Anywhere from "none" to "not nearly enough for a quick, clean meal"
>>
File: th (3).jpg (6KB, 230x271px) Image search: [Google]
th (3).jpg
6KB, 230x271px
I got one of these for christmas last year and I've tried to use it a few times. The woods that I camp in are almost exclusively hardwood, and it doesn't seem to like twigs from them (but loves pine). Is there a trick I don't know about to get it to burn hardwood twigs/chips better? Even with a coal bed and warm up fire of pine I couldn't keep it going on hardwood.
>>
>>1043175

>Can we have a thread about these little woodgas stoves?
sure

>Does anyone have one?
yes

>Are they as cool as they seem or total bunk?
i like them but they're not worth the extra weight imo
>>
File: kek.png (71KB, 235x280px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
71KB, 235x280px
>>1047124
>extra weight
>>
>>1047051

The problem is that you seem to be using a .22LR ratshot cartridge to burn your wood somehow, have you tried using a small portable stove?
>>
>>1047126

what's funny?
>>
File: 12566318-Coping-saw-Stock-Photo.jpg (62KB, 1300x861px) Image search: [Google]
12566318-Coping-saw-Stock-Photo.jpg
62KB, 1300x861px
>>1047006
https://www.amazon.com/4008267-Heavy-Ratchet-Pruner-Green/dp/B00BBHVO2E/ref=pd_sim_86_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BBHVO2E&pd_rd_r=CEVEWA52ZZZ4FEZD7XRY&pd_rd_w=SBVc6&pd_rd_wg=0SPt3&psc=1&refRID=CEVEWA52ZZZ4FEZD7XRY

Also get a box of fatwood sticks or melt old candle scraps and pour it over dryer lint on tin foil. super cheap basically free fire starters. Also a small light coping saw is super nice for processing small branches.
>>
They shouldnt let you take it out
>>
>>1047511
wat
>>
>>1043175
I got this bad boy, and it works great, just use twigs lying around, and if I want to start a bigger fire, I can just dump the coal and start one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007DBD3IU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
File: solo stove.jpg (227KB, 847x1234px) Image search: [Google]
solo stove.jpg
227KB, 847x1234px
>>1043175

I have a solo stove lite and I love it. The burn efficiency is amazing. Even though twigs work fine I split chunk hardwood into small sticks 3-4" long and actually bring my fuel. Boils 5-6 cups in about as many minutes.
>>
>>1045431
>So for using a cast iron skillet i need a great big one?

I would rather put cast iron on top of hot coals or on a grate 6-8" above a small fire. It retains heat well unlike the titanium/stainless steel boiling pots a stove is good for.

>>1046023
>How many btus do these things put out?

About 15-20,000 according to most estimates http://backpackingstovejudge.com/
>>
>>1047044
Clearly you've never used one.
>>
>>1050421
which one should I get anon?
>>
I tell you man, I was not convinced by these until my partner brought a Soloman with us last weekend.
That thing was incredibly efficient and worked extremely well.
I also brought a MSR and its gas which we never used.
We bought a bundle of five, precut, things of resinous wood from a grocery store and hardly used a bit of one after 6 total uses.
Made me a believer in the product, that is for sure. I cannot speak for other brands and types, but I know the Soloman single or whatever it is called worked amazingly.
I will be picking one up myself soon.
>>
>>1050505
Make one.
>>
>>1051238
This amazon knock off will work just as well as your buddys solo.
Its like the Yeti mug vs the cheap one at walmart.
Same shit with a huge difference in price.
>>
>>1044225
That's not true though retard.

https://vikingoutfitter.com/collections/camping-cookware/products/outad-eco-friendly-high-combustion-efficiency-portable-gassifier-camping-stove

This stove did exactly what was promised
>>
>>1051713
Obviously, you don't understand what is being discussed.
>>
OP here, ended up with the biolite blue version from amazon.
Just got done boiling some water and I think its pretty dang cool.
very little smoke but some soot on pan.
Soot was minimal and only in three spots
>>
File: 1.gif (18KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
18KB, 340x340px
>>1047126
Dunno why but your post got me! 10/10
>>
>>1050421
I've used about 15 different homemade ones and 3 commercial ones.

The absolute best ones boil slower than a canister stove while weighing more than a canister stove and 3, 227g canisters and your cookset combined. Some of the homemade ones burned so cold I gave up trying to boil water after an hour and multiple double armloads of sticks.

I also camp in a lot of places with little to no deadfall or accessible dry wood so they are a poor fit for me anyway.
>>
>>1053522
What was your best experience with these sort of "contained fire" devices? I'm curious.
>>
File: on the internet.webm (1MB, 726x504px) Image search: [Google]
on the internet.webm
1MB, 726x504px
>>1053522
>>
>>1053522
You were definitely doing something wrong.
>>
>>1051263
What amazon knock off! Been looking at them and cannot really finnd on that I think would be good
>>
>>1054352
Canway
>>
You have any recommended videos\pics for a good DIY one?
>>
File: lixada.jpg (64KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
lixada.jpg
64KB, 500x500px
>>1043175
Not a woodgas stove, but anyway. Not very good with the trangia alc burner (it has a holder for that), but it works great with sticks. There's definitely a sort of chimney effect.

Cost me less than £7 (UK) on eBay. It's suprisingly good for what it is.
>>
File: 1491472263914.jpg (1MB, 2336x1395px) Image search: [Google]
1491472263914.jpg
1MB, 2336x1395px
>>1043175
I got one of these for christmas, they are expensive but pretty amazing little stoves and you can charge your cell phone with it.

Very little smoke and burns hot, only thing that I don't like is the high pitched whirr noise it gives off.
>>
>>1056878
Have you, like some others, seen the USB charging speed deteriorate over time?
>>
>>1056887
I've never actually used it for that yet.
>>
>>1056887
thats just how modern batteries work
>>
>>1056901
I've read dramatic impact at 20-30 charge cycles already which sounds too low
>>
>>1056909
shitty chineese batteries do that
>>
>>1053583
Best experience was when I made a ginormous one out of a 2gal, thin stainless can I yoinked from work (had held liquid egg white substitute).

It only weighed about 18oz but was big and sturdy enough to support a 14" cast iron skillet. Used it a lot with my travel trailer in the SW to do things like omelets and campfire donuts when I had company, since I didn't care about boil times.
>>
>>1054045
Literally what is there to even be able to do wrong with one besides forgetting to actually start a fire in one?
>>
>>1056918
whatever it is
you found it
>>
>>1056918
This attitude is why you failed.
Many things can go wrong from putting in too much fuel to not having enough.
There is a sweet spot and if you miss it you get a smoky fire that is not that hot.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.