[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to pack a backpack.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

File: Osprey Aether AG 70 EX backpack.jpg (28KB, 321x446px) Image search: [Google]
Osprey Aether AG 70 EX backpack.jpg
28KB, 321x446px
>more specifically where to put the tent?

Hey guys. So I got the pictured pack, Osprey Aether 70 AG and I am having trouble figuring out where to pack my tent. It's a Kelty Salida 2, and is kind of bulky and 4.5 lbs in it's little carry bag.

Is this something that you should carry on the outside of your pack? I could easily fit it on the outside, but then the rain cover wouldn't go over it all, and it might throw the balance off. Is this something I should be packing inside it, near the top?

Sorry I am backpacking nude, and having trouble figuring out how I am going to fit all my gear in this bag, which still doesn't seem that big. My REI Magma 10F bag is just bursting out of the sleeping bag compartment at the bottom.
>>
>>1043105
You pack each part of the tent separately, not as a big bulky bag. Only thing I'd accept is to put the poles on the outside. Everything should fit inside easily.

With a 70 L pack, the poles should probably be fitting inside too, unless you've got some crazy gear requirements or bear cans.
>>
>>1043105
>>1043114
It might also be helpful to post your entire gear list, maybe with pictures. Chances are you can leave some gear at home.
>>
Heavy stuff at the bottom and priority stuff at easy access points and everything else in points that are more "storage".

Ultimately, pack and repack your pack with various amounts of gear like 100 times until you find out what you can really fit in your pack. The weight distribution only matters if you intend to set records or are terrified of sore muscles.
>>
>>1043116

Yeah I am currently working on that. I can probably do that in the next day or two. Going to work on it myself a bit first.

>>1043114
Wow never thought about doing that. Will try!
>>
Darwin on the trail has a YouTube video about this I watched recently
>>
File: th.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
>>1043121

Thanks. All those videos helped. I have room now, but I got to cut back on what i carry.

Anyone else carry a lantern that uses the stove gas canisters?

>pic related
>>
>>1043654
>what is a luci light
>>
>>1043654
It exists, so somebody is using it but it is impractical and wasteful compared to modern LED bulbs.
>>
>>1043673

It gives off a lot of heat. I use it as a tent warmer/campfire.
>>
>>1043713
>Gas powered heater in tent
Now your getting into stupid territory. It will only be effective if you have poor air circulation, which could also potentially lead to CO poisoning.

Your sleeping bag is for keeping warm.
>>
>>1043105
>Sorry I am backpacking nude

This can only make packing easier.
>>
File: how-to-pack-a-travel-backpack.png (89KB, 596x548px) Image search: [Google]
how-to-pack-a-travel-backpack.png
89KB, 596x548px
>>1043117
>Heavy stuff at the bottom

Nope. When packing an internal frame pack you want the heaviest stuff in the middle and close to the frame. There it's closer to your center of gravity and not dragging on the pack suspension as much. That's why most packs these days have zipper access at the bottom. Put your sleeping bag in the bottom and stack your heavier gear on top of it, keeps the heavy stuff up higher and acts a little like a shock absorber.
>>
>>1044434
The version I heard is that you have to put the heaviest at the top so it pushes directly down on you instead of dragging you backwards
>>
>>1044438
That's a more common technique for external frame packs. Internal frames it's best to keep heavy in the middle. Regardless of frame style, heaviest things should not go in the bottom.

>t. Avid backpacker, former /out/fitter and guide
>>
Using a stuff sack for your sleeping bag and tent inside your bag is a mistake too. Treat your backpack as if it were the stuff sack and use them to fill dead space.
>>
>>1044500
I use a large stuff sack for my sleeping bag. The fabric used for down bags can be pretty delicate. It still allows the sleeping bag to conform to the shape of the pack.
>>
File: 63002507.jpg (301KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
63002507.jpg
301KB, 1500x1500px
>>1044434
this looks so wrong
>>
I'm looking for a good backpack that's profile won't get stuck on foliage since I'm mostly backpacking Florida dense forests but I also like kind of a rugged, military look on my bags what would you recommend /out/? I also want it to have plenty of pockets to carry all my fishing gear when I go on my lake hopping trips
>>
I got a waterproof backpack, but it doesn't have any pockets besides the main one, so I guess it's more like a sack you strap on your back. A backsack. Anyone got any good tips on how to pack stuff into it?
>>
>>1044882
Through the hole
>>
Ok guys. Getting my pack and gear together.

How much should my pack fully loaded, with water weigh? I've got a 100oz bladder that alone is 7lbs.
>>
I guess is there a total limit to what your gear should weigh, or what you should be carrying in/on your pack?
>>
>>1045900

I mean should I be counting my hat, sunglasses, boots, etc with my total gear weight goal?
>>
>>1045909
Anything that will be carried in or attached to your pack (including the pack itslef) is your total pack weight. Dry weight is the same, minus food, fuel and water.

Typically the clothes you will be wearing are not included in the total pack weight afaik. So don't include boots and only include sunglasses and hat if you plan to have them in your pack most of the time.
>>
File: packstuff.jpg (1MB, 2919x3158px) Image search: [Google]
packstuff.jpg
1MB, 2919x3158px
>>1045931

Thanks bro.

Here is my first round of getting gear together. Dry weight (so no water, food or fuel) is 26.13 pounds. This is not including any clothes, which I have yet to get sorted and weighed.
>>
>>1045949
>saw
>mall ninja knife
>glow sticks
>3 pairs of sunglasses
>lotion bag
>metal water bottle
>work gloves
>wallet
>flashlight
>torch lighter
>pelican case
>>
>>1044769
See if you can snag a USMC rucksack on the milsurp market. It's an internal frame made by Arc'teryx without any of the real benefits of an Arc'teryx, but it's still a pretty good bag over-all and can be reasonably affordable. They tend to go for anywhere from $85-140 for the actual rucksack.

Be aware that a lot of ebay sellers will call the USMC assault pack a rucksack, so pay attention to the pictures. While it's also made by dedbirb it's a lot smaller and doesn't have a frame, and isn't worth nearly as much (though also a good bag).

Only downside is you'll be stuck with woodland MARPAT since the very few coyote tan ones that make it to the market command prices that'd get you a new Gregory of similar size.
>>
>>1045965
>saw
For cutting down trees, branches if needed for camp. Might be redundant with...
>mall ninja knife
Doubles as a machete for clearing brush, I've used this for splitting logs for tinder
>glow sticks
Are fucking awesome, and very helpful for camp at night
>3 pairs of sunglasses
1 pair, with clipons
>lotion bag
What?
>metal water bottle
What?
>work gloves
Yeah so? Keep my hands warm and safe.
>wallet
What?
>flashlight
Yeah I can see it being overkill with a headlamp, phone and keychain light
>torch lighter
So? It's awesome. Also have backups matches
>pelican case
Definitely could lose that, and some of the extra batteries.
>>
>>1045860
Unless you're absolutely destitue and stuck with milsurp or are taking superfluous shit because you like to, no more than 45lbs.
>>1045900
It is dangerous to your health to exceed 1/3 your body weight with total items carried (this includes clothes, boots, the shit in your pants pockets, etc). As a result a good guideline is your pack should be no more than 1/4th your body weight.
>>
>>1045991

Yeah. I'm aware of that. I'm 5'10" 180. I'm shooting for 25lbs or under, dry. I'd hate to cut my knife or saw, but the binos, batteries, and a lot of the amenities could go. That would save a few pounds.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 850x908px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 850x908px
>>1045949
Why are you taking binoculars (I'm assuming that's what the Vortex case is)?

Why do you have all of the following:
>folding saw
>giant shit-tier chink tanto
>decent fixed-blade
>lack of a wood stove
>what appears to be an iso-fuel stove in a ditty bag
>multi-tool with a knife
?

Ditch the tanto regardless, and think about ditching the folding saw unless you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE you will need it. Doesn't look like you have any reason to need a wood fire and I can't think of any other reason to have all that crap.

Are you taking the chemlights just to fuck around with?

Why do you have 3 pairs of sunglass cases (presumably containing sunglasses)?

You seem to have a ton of superfluous bullshit in your toiletries bag, and I understand why >>1045965 called it a lotion bag, it looks like there's 6 bottles of lotion or hand sanitizer in there. Should be toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, maybe floss, 1 small bottle of hand sanitizer. Deodorant is pointless and antiperspirant can actually be dangerous in certain climates.

I understand wanting Q-tips but get one of the travel packs with like 15 of them instead of that ~100 pack and simply refill it when you get home.

2 flashlights and a headlamp is overkill. At the very minimum ditch the little keychain light.

The pelican case with spare batteries is overkill, get rid of it completely. If you have lights that are worth even a quarter of a shit they will provide months of routine use on 1 set of batteries or several days' worth of emergency use (constant on for extended periods). Hell the $30 Petzl headlamps available now have 800+ hours' runtime on medium.

Take the packaging off your repair kit and emergency bivvy.

Please identify the circled items in pic related, I can't even tell what the fuck they are.
>>
>>1046006

I agree with the big knife and saw. Would probably ditch the saw, and keep the knife because i can still chop trees and use it to clear brush/trails.

Chemlights are just for light at night.

Sunglasses, clipons, and glasses. Wear contacts mostly though.

Yes I agree with the amenities. Could cut a bunch of that. Acknowledged.

Same with q-tips. Like I said this is a first run.

Got very good lights. Batteries are probably overkill, but will bring at least just one extra pair for each, instead of two like pictured.

No repair kit, but will do for bivvy.

Circled items are from top to bottom, left to right...

>Pack towel, a reusable microfiber towel
>battery pack to recharge phone, gps or headlamp
>extra battery pack for GPS
>>
And to elaborate on this....

>>1046006
>Why do you have all of the following:
>>folding saw
>>giant shit-tier chink tanto
Cold Steel Oyabun. Far from Chink shit, although made in Tawain. Have had an abused the shit out of it for over 15 years.
>>decent fixed-blade
Bradford knives Gaurdian 3. M390 steel. I would consider it pretty near the top of fixed blades that size.
>>lack of a wood stove
See below.
>>what appears to be an iso-fuel stove in a ditty bag
Yep.
>>multi-tool with a knife
No knife on it. Just pliers, scissors and tweezers. Only reason I have it is the pliers desu, senpai. Have scissors and tweezers in the medical pouch. Will drop it, unless those are useful for something.
>>
File: 20170625_230226.jpg (891KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_230226.jpg
891KB, 2048x1152px
>>1046021
>>1046018
>headlamp
>2 flashlights
>AND chemlights
You have more than enough light for night. Ditch at least one (preferably the chemlights).

Pack towel is good to have.

2 battery packs plus a box of batteries is not. The GPS is the only thing you might actually need to rely on and it looks like a Garmin so it has at least 100 hours' runtime, 1 battery pack will do it for anything under 10 days' trip time.

I mistook your packaged toothbrush and toothpaste for a DBX-branded repair kit for your sleeping pad. Take it out of the package and put it in the toiletries bag.

Is that not a Leatherman Style CS? If so it has scissors and a knife on it, and not pliers. Pic related.
>>
>>1046024

It's a PS not CS, so no knife.

If I take all that out, I save maybe a pound. Not huge but pretty good. I don't think the Garmin gets that good battery life, and I wouldn't want to rely on one battery.
>>
>>1044625
Why
>>
>>1046028
Huh. Didn't even know the PS existed. Looks like a shittier version of the Gerber Dime, but whatever if it works for you.

I disagree with you on the quality of the Cold Steel tanto, I've yet to touch a single product from Cold Steel I'd consider anything but irredeemable garbage. Personally I'd ditch both the tanto and the folding saw but if you're only gonna get rid of one, keep the folding saw since it's both lighter than that giant chunk of steel CS calls a knife and more useful to boot. With you not needing to make wood fueled fires due to the iso stove your Bradford should be plenty of knife.

Tweezers are always handy and weigh so little I wouldn't recommend dropping them until you're experienced with other aspects of ultralighting. I can't say I've ever wanted much less needed scissors while hiking though, my Style CS lives on a lighter leash on my fishing bag.

I have a Garmin Etrex and usually get 3-4 days' usage out of a charge with the factory battery, and since it uses standard cellphone batteries I bought a chinese 4300mAh flush-fit replacement and get 7-8 days' use out of it. It's supposed to have 16 hours' continuous screen-on time with the factory battery, which IIRC is only a 1200mAh. Either way, ditch one of the battery banks.
>>
>>1046039

I've had the Cold Steel for over 15 years. I'll keep it over the saw. I use it as a machete for clearing trails, and can use it as an axe/saw for chopping trees. I use it way to much and it's too good to give up. I can't use the saw to chop brush in my way as I hike.
>>
File: backpack-loading.gif (12KB, 297x278px) Image search: [Google]
backpack-loading.gif
12KB, 297x278px
>>1044625
Well it isn't. It's the best way to pack an internal frame pack.
>>
File: headlamp.jpg (5KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
headlamp.jpg
5KB, 237x213px
>>1043105
Buy a headlamp and stop being a faggot
>>
>>1046021
Obviously, all of this stuff could have a use out on the trail. That's not the point. The relevant question is "Do I absolutely need this?" If you can make do without, or with something lighter, do it. You will regret every ounce of weight you packed when going up a hill.
>>
>>1043121
How do you watch his videos when he constantly bugs his eyes out and makes weird facial expressions?
>>
>>1046021
>>1046040
>beat up the tanto for 15 years
>it still looks brand new
why do people tell such obvious, idiotic lies?
>>
File: IMG_6548.jpg (2MB, 3992x2937px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6548.jpg
2MB, 3992x2937px
>>1046649
>>it still looks brand new

How could you possibly tell from that photo, and with it in the sheath? You got some problems you need to work out bro.

Anyway I cut a bunch of the stuff I knew needed to go, kept the extra GPS batter. Down to 24 lbs dry, minus the clothes.

I think I will be around 35lbs wet, with clothes.
>>
>>1046743
damn is this a katana? can i baton with this knife?
>>
File: durr.jpg (32KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
durr.jpg
32KB, 500x371px
>>1046743
>called on obvious bullshit
>better smear some spit on it so it looks used!
nigga that ain't 15 years of abuse, batonning, and being used as a machete
>>
>>1046743
Because there is no wear and tear on the sheath or on the rubber handle. Since rubber is soft you should be able to see wear like a balding car tire. Did you only use it twice in 15 years?
>>
>>1046743
Can we stop for a second to recognize how soft, supple and unworn the skin on that palm is. This is man who avoids all manual labor.
>>
>>1046830
Is that rubber or plastic? I think rubber would turn brittle and crack after 15 years. It would also make a pretty crappy handle for a knife.
>>
>>1047822
Bet he gives a great HJ tho
>>
>>1047828
It's rubber.

I had that knife, years ago. One days' regular usage and there was visible wear to the handle.

Dude's full of bullshit.
>>
>>1047837
I don't think that knife is 15 years old, let alone beat on. Rubber does not hold up well over time.
>>
File: IMG_6554.jpg (735KB, 3794x2919px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6554.jpg
735KB, 3794x2919px
>>1046754
>nigga that ain't 15 years of abuse, batonning, and being used as a machete

I've had it for 15 years. I've used it various amounts each of those 15 years.

>>1046830
>Because there is no wear and tear on the sheath or on the rubber handle. Since rubber is soft you should be able to see wear like a balding car tire. Did you only use it twice in 15 years?

Wrong. There is. It's Kraton, not rubber or plastic.

>>1047828
This is true. I use great lotion daily, and enjoy my cushy office job.

>>1047844
>I don't think that knife is 15 years old

Sure it is. It's probably older. I believe I bought it in 2001. Taiwan made, Cold Steel Oyabun.

>pic related

Wear on handle and "rubber" I am surprised how well it holds up after all these years when i often bang on the handle part sometimes batoning wood.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.