[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Out/ings with a Pipe Thread #6

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 55

File: IMG_7794.jpg (968KB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7794.jpg
968KB, 3456x2304px
/tpg/-Tobacco Pipe General

Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections, pics of favorite combos for going /out/, pics of what you're doing with your pipe and any questions you might have.

Want to get into smoking pipes without spending too much cash?
Get a Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob pipe and a pouch of either Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Half and Half tobacco, available at most drugstores.
Accessories needed: pipe, tobacco, lighter or matches, pipe cleaners, and either a regular old nail or a pipe tool (combination tamper, scoop, and small pick).
All of these together should run you less than $20.

Having trouble keeping your pipe lit? Pack it looser and smoke it slower than you think you need to, lightly tamping as needed when the smoke starts thinning out.
If you're still having trouble, try packing using the Frank Method, detailed here:
Part 1: http://youtu.be/kJP0JaNRw6Q
Part 2: http://youtu.be/9U5QbtyNxhA
Part 3: http://youtu.be/OMtHOAiO8CI

Old thread >>1031492
>>
File: IMG_7877.jpg (1MB, 2043x2066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7877.jpg
1MB, 2043x2066px
Fuck. It's thread #7. I'm an idjit.
>>
>>1043009

already got feedback from one anon but i`ll still post...

i know you hate stoners and all that shit, but say, would there be any problem with the pipe if instead of tobbaco i used something else? clogging or something else wink wink nudge nudge...

>(pic related, always wanted a corn cob pipe, but i hate tobacco)
>>
>>1043009
>tfw nobody sells Prince Albert, Carter Hall, or Half and Half anywhere near me
So regale me with tales of how horrid Captain Black is.
>>
>>1043022
The bowls are generally enough larger that your "something else" won't burn the way you want it to, and/or you'll end up using way more than you'd intended.

Otherwise, not really.

If you're dead set on using something other than the traditional cheap glass weed pipe, you can get a Japanese "Kiseru" pipe off amazon for as low as $9. They have much smaller bowls and are designed to be used with very finely chopped tobacco and/or opium, and can be quite elegant.
>>
>>1043022
So get a cob, whatever you want to smoke in it, and go start your own thread about it.
It's not that hard, anon.

>>1043024
It's not that horrid. For a drugstore-available aromatic it's actually pretty good. The vanilla flavor is pretty nice. I like their cherry flavor blend too.
There are better flavored tobaccos out there, but none of them are priced as nicely or as widely distributed as the Captain.
>>
>>1043026

>Kiseru

wow, today i feel enlightened, thanks anon, will any shape do? (minus those wooden dildo ones)

also, if i insist in using corn cobs, would a less fine grind help or would i still be burning it wrong...
>>
>>1043033
That I couldn't say, only weed I've ever done was edible and that was on accident (nobody told me they were weed brownies).

I've got a stoner coworker though, I can ask tomorrow assuming he bothers showing up.
>>
>>1043032
I got the "royal blend" which is supposed to be Virginia and Cavendish, no flavor.

It was that or Smoker's Choice Menthol. Ew.
>>
File: 14589490302150.jpg (25KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
14589490302150.jpg
25KB, 437x437px
>>1043009
>smoking a wooden pipe
I tip my hat to you good sirs
>>
>>1043044

That's not a wooden pipe, you fucking cuck.
>>
I know this was asked last thread, but what is the age demographic of /pipegen/? Just want to know out of sheer curiosity

I'm 18, started enjoying pipe smoking a few months ago.
>>
>>1043033
A corncob works great. You would pack it like you would pack a water pipe and if it gets hot/burns to much just cover it to cut the oxygen.

Learn how smoke/pack a large bowl. Or don't and keep your tolorance small.
>>
>>1043137
Here, I made a straw pole is people are actually that interested

http://www.strawpoll.me/13253811
>>
>>1043147
*Strawpoll, christ I should go to bed
>>
>>1043147
>>1043148
Thanks, Anon. I don't know why I didn't think of that! Good on you.
>>
>>1043147
Very interesting result
>>
>>1043035
Royal blend has a flavoring. Vanilla and caramel.
But as flavorings go it's pretty good.
>>
>>1043044
At least we don't vape.
>>
>>1043044
I'm surprised you cared enough about us to put down your katana and post.
It's amazing the support these little threads continue to receive.
>>
File: 1497491855716.jpg (16KB, 283x414px) Image search: [Google]
1497491855716.jpg
16KB, 283x414px
>>1043119
>the fact that its made out of fucking bone or some shit makes it LESS autistic
>>
>>1043286
>Stop enjoying things
>>
File: 803.png (149KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
803.png
149KB, 625x626px
>>1043286
>fucking bone or some shit
>>
>>1043267
Huh. There isn't shit-all on the packaging that says that, are you talking about what flavors the tobacco produces naturally or are you talking "we added vanilla flavoring" flavor?
>>
File: IMG_1064.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1064.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1043009
Guys, I have a problem

Actually tryin to quit so I got on some Zyban. After like 4 days, I went from 3+ packs a day to about 1.5.
>>
File: IMG_7997.jpg (47KB, 800x441px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7997.jpg
47KB, 800x441px
>>1043286
>yes, I REALLY AM this desperate and retarded, the post.
>>
>>1043307
They add natural vanilla flavoring and some brown sugar to create a caramel taste as well.
Cavendish is tobacco that's been processed so it is very mild and lightly sweet, almost neutrally flavored. Then they can add other flavorings to it so it tastes like other things. Whiskey, sugar, honey, molasses, cherry, vanilla-99% of the time it's added to cavendish.
You can just smoke plain cavendish as well-CB Gold and CB Black are plain cavendish blends.

>>1043312
>Bepis is trying to quit
It's official-he's in love.
>>
>>1043312
whats the problem ?
>>
>>1043321
>>1043323
Kek. I won't be the same person without a cig in my hand all the time.

And when I'm with the girl, I barely smoke anyway. But I'm not around her all the time. I think the main issue is that I make decent money and I have like nothing to show for it because of a couple things I waste my money on. If I can fix those two things, I will have an extra $1000+ a month to spend on fun stuff instead.
>>
>>1043326
>I won't be the same person
sure you will Bepis. the social crutch of the cigarette will be gone, but you will learn to stand on your own over time
>>
perfect timing with this thread. i was reading about pipe tobacco yesterday, and a thread in /pol/ about the "tobacco jew", and how demonized tobacco has become in the past 20 years, even though it has been used for hundreds of years in recent western civilization.

i want to try some tobacco that isn't full of nasty shit and that i can smoke without papers. i went to a local smoke shop yesterday, but their selection of pipe tobaccos was pretty limited (though they do have cheap little corn cob pipes). the only brand i recognized was prince albert, and looking at reviews online, prince albert seems decent enough to try out.

any /out/ opinions on where to start? i don't want to or plan to be a regular smoker, but i really would like to try pipe tobacco.
>>
>>1043335
honestly, without where info on where you are, we probably cant help you at all, how would we know whats in your stores?

or are you planning on ordering online?
>>
>>1043336
i'm in northwest arkansas, near fayetteville.

definitely not against ordering online...i just don't know if something like "organic pipe tobacco" is a gimmick meme, or if there are some legit sources for tobacco that is close to "natural".
>>
>>1043337
as far as i know, and i really mean it, as far as i know, most respectable pipe tobaccos wont have anywhere near the same kinds of additives as cigarettes, aromatics will obviously have flavors and sugars and stuff.

dont know if there are any explicitly "organic" tobacco, the super sensitive eco friendly kind of market dont really mix well with tobacco, so some tabaccos may actually be "organic" without explicitely marketing themselves as such just because that is not normally the demographic they are aiming at.

if you get what i mean, not sure if ive been clear but. hope it helped
>>
>>1043341
yeah, i get it. and that's kinda why i put quotes around organic. unless somebody here objects, i'll probably pick up a little corn cob pipe and some prince albert this afternoon.
>>
>>1043335
It's in the OP: Missouri Meerschaum corncob, tobacco, lighter, a pack of regular pipe cleaners and a regular nail for a tamper. All in, it should cost you less than $20 and most of it is available at your local drugstore.
>>
>>1043344
a Cob is always a great place to start. never had prince Albert myself so i cant comment on that, but welcome to pipe smoking i guess
>>
>>1043344
also, this may be vulgar, but i cant go on without knowing.

the Danish slang term for a piercing at the tip of the penis is called a Prince Albert, no clue why.

but, is this true of other places? may be why ive never seen Prince Albert here ...
>>
>>1043351
yeah, that's the term in the US, too. i don't know the origin, but:

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Prince+Albert

if i had to totally invent an etymology, i would say it is a metaphorical extension of the "puffing on a penis" concept, wherein the "penis puffer" is a gay person, and the "penis" is a metaphorical pipe, making the "prince albert" piercing the "tobacco" stuffed into the pipe, therefore modifying the original metaphor to be a penis puffer puffing a penis pipe stuffed with a prince albert piercing.

>>1043346
thanks for pointing that out. in my excitement to see this thread pop up i kinda rushed to post, since just yesterday i was looking into pipe tobacco.
>>
>>1043351
It's the same over here.

>>1043356
Apparently the piercing got its name because the guy who invented the piercing made up a story about the Prince having one to make it sound all cool and Victorian.
In reality it was just invented by a bunch of gay guys who were screwing around and sticking needles into each other's dicks.
>>
File: 20170622_183249.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170622_183249.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
Got my morta pipes a few days ago - I'm new to pipe smoking, but hell im loving it so far. Still having some noobie difficulties, but I'm improving :)
>>
>>1043390
newbie difficulties like what?
>>
>>1043390
>morta
You bastard, I'm so jealous.
That looks so damn good and I bet it smokes awesome, but I can't bring myself to pay what they're going for.

Anyway, we're pretty willing to help newbies here. What's your issue?
>>
>>1043391
keeping the tobacco lit, tounge bites... I'm definitely better than the 1st time smoking. Still, there's room for improvement. I guess that's normal when transitioning from ciggies to pipes.
>>
>>1043390
Loving both of those, the texture on the black one, the turquoise on the other. great looking
>>
>>1043009
Not out related

Should be on soc or something
>>
File: 14981516047791860339514.jpg (786KB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
14981516047791860339514.jpg
786KB, 4608x3456px
I bought this Corona lighter at a garage sale today. Im trying to disassemble it right now.

Does any of you know a valve like this works? Do I need some special refill spray to fill it?
>>
File: 45ty2465457.jpg (731KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
45ty2465457.jpg
731KB, 1920x1440px
>>1043402
No, /pipegen/ is one of the most thriving threads, and we are probably outside more then you
>>1043419
looks like a normal gas filling valve, not sure though
>>
>>1043419
Looks like regular butane mang.

And the right screw is probably to replace the flint.
>>
>>1043420
>>1043421
Maybe im just a complete newbie when it comes to lighters (which I am), but aren't regular filling valves normally tubes that you will fill butane into and through? This is long thin stick that's blocking a hole, kinda like valves you would see on bikes, its hard to see in the pic. Possibly it's just the same.. I dont have any butane right now to test it.

And Pepsi, the right screw is to change the flame size. Im pretty sure it's electrical too.
>>
>>1043432
okay, so, plastic throw away lighters have the see though bits, the metal port is usually to recieve the bit of the gas canister and you press it against the knob.

could you provide more pictures?
>>
>>1043351
Yeah, it's pretty globally known as that.

It's named such because Prince Albert (the actual prince) allegedly got it done prior to his marriage to Queen Victoria.

Some say it's also the origin of calling a cock n balls "wedding tackle" as there's lore that he had to bejewel his dick in order to catch her interest, much like how a fishing lure works.
>>
File: IMG_20170622_194719.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_194719.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
>>1043436
Cant get my camera to focus closely, but maybe its easier to see here.
>>
>>1043440
yea. looks like a normal refilling valve.
thanks for taking more pictures
>>
File: IMG_20170622_201312.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_201312.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
>>1043444
Hey thanks for helping. I might post again when I get my hands on some butane if I cant get it to work.

Heres todays entire haul: The lighter, three pipe racks, and one of them came with an old beat Jeantet pipe. 15$ for all of it.
>>
>>1043449
looks good my dude!
>>
>>1043137
27 now, been smoking pipes & cigars off and on since 18. Still haven't gotten the hang of pipes yet.
>>
>>1043395
Most of your problems with staying lit can be boiled down to two things-fill your pipe looser and smoke it slower. Just filling your pipe looser will solve 60% of it, the rest is practice and getting a slow cadence going
Also, what tobacco are you smoking? The flavored stuff tends to either be really sugary and sucks up moisture, or really wet to begin with. For best flavor it needs to almost not be packed at all. Just fill your pipe with pinches of tobacco until it's even with the top of the bowl. If the tobacco is wet at all in your fingers as you fill it, let it dry out in the pipe about a half hour before lighting up. And smoke SLOW. If your smoke is still getting wet and gurgling, take the pipe out of your mouth between puffs to make sure you're not exhaling down the stem.

A pipe isn't like a cigarette. You don't take big draws down into your lungs. You smoke the thing slower and cooler, taking light puffs and not inhaling the smoke. Ideally for best flavor the pipe should be on the verge of going out before you take your puff.
>>
>>1043402
>look, it's this post again
>I guess it's time for this answer again

Thanks to near-universal indoor smoking bans, it's an /out/ activity by default.

That's why we're here.
>>
>>1043020
its okay, the only way to never do anything wrong is to never do anything at all
>>
>>1043459
how often do you puff? is it a constant stream of little, light puffs until the bowl is all ash? do you hold any of the smoke in your mouth, or do you just puff and let it come out of your mouth naturally?
>>
>>1043419
Butane filler valve. Buy the butane tanks at a grocery store, drugstore or even Walmart.
To fill you turn the butane refill tank upside down (you fill the lighter up with liquid butane) and press down on the valve for 3-5 seconds to fill up the tank in the lighter.
After letting it cool for a minute or two (the lighter will get hot), you'll need to press down on the valve with a matchstick or something to purge any residual air out of the butane tank. Do it a couple of times. When liquid sprays out, you should be good.
>>
>>1043468
Up to you.
I generally hold the smoke in my mouth a second or two and then either exhale it naturally or retrohale it through my nose for maximum flavor.
>>
>>1043468
Just to clear something else up, the notion that what's left at the end of a pipe is fine white ash isn't always true. It's nice when it happens, but most of the time there'll be some half-burnt stuff at the very bottom. That's called dottle and it's ok.
What's also ok is needing a relight or two during a bowl. Sometimes you set it down and lose track of time, or it's really humid, you forget to tamp or whatever. It's when you just can't keep the thing going for more than 30 seconds and you're using a whole box of matches per bowl that it's an issue.
>>
>>1043477
gotcha. yeah, i wasn't sure if there's a term for when the bowl is finished, and i didn't want to go into the old days for weed smoking lingo to say something like cashed. thanks for the info.

i picked up a corn cob pipe and some prince albert in a foil pack at lunch. puffed on it for a few minutes and didn't die of face cancer, so everything seems to be going well so far.
>>
>>1043394
Luckily I live in Croatia, and the pipemaker gave me an awesome deal (130$ for both). He's a really friendly guy and a master of his craft,check his stuff out - davorinmortapipes.
Pipe smoking communities seem hospitable and warm af so far.

>>1043401
Thanks, I'm loving it as well! The turqouise thing is jade.

>>1043459
>fill your pipe looser
I figured that, but still having difficulties with ending a bowl without constantly relighting. Probably not loose enough. I tried the frank method today and got better results already (although I thought I smoked it all, but there was still a fifth of unsmoked tobacco left under all the ashes)

>tobacco
Mac barens scottish blend. I think it's dry enough imo.

>smoke slow
This I understand, it's charming when compared to cigs. Really loving the easy flow of drawing smokes, tasting each one and taking short breaks between them. Can't wait to overcome all the rookie mistakes and get the rhytm going!

Thanks for the replies guys
>>
File: 20170622_161519.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170622_161519.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1043009
Guess I'll play too. I haven't smoked my pipes in about 2 years, got into cigars. These threads had me feeling it, so I cracked this tin of Deep Hollow that I've had since 2012.
>>
Well, turns out I should hit refresh before posting... posted in the last thread.
Just wanna say thanks to the anon who redirected me here from a smoking thread on /ck/.
I've never been on /out/ before, buthe since there's a pipe thread here, I think I'll be here more often, from now on.
>>
File: pipe 'n beer.jpg (95KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
pipe 'n beer.jpg
95KB, 540x720px
Pipe of the night, Corncob with Black Cavendish Aromatic. Couldn't keep it lit for the life of me, probably just need to let it fry longer next time, but it's just so hard to wait!
>>
File: 20160206_163848.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20160206_163848.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>1043402
>probably one of the only threads justifying /out/s existence
>basically the most active thread besides fishing and dirty hobos
>friendliest, nicest thread; these are my only friends
>"reeeee go to /soc/ reeeee not /out/ you can't buy pipe at REI"

When will they leave us be
>>
File: IMG_8004.jpg (851KB, 2239x2246px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8004.jpg
851KB, 2239x2246px
Other Pipe of the Night
Butz Choquin full bent with Dunhill Elizabethan
nice and spicy
>>
>>1043709
Aromatics including Black cav are some of the hardest things to keep lit in my experience, especially If you're new. You've really got to be on your game.

If you want something that's easier, try a burley blend like Prince Albert, Half and Half or Carter Hall. It won't be as wonderfully sniffy as an aromatic, but they're much less hassle to keep going. And Half and Half has a good flavor. It's my favorite of the three.
>>
Any of you guys know where I can purchase tobacco online? The tax on baccy here to too high to buy local.
>>
>>1043747
yeah I have to try the frank method since I've been having trouble with all my smokes lately.
I'm going to pick up some natural dutch at my pipe shop this weekend, hopefully that smoke a little better.
>>
>>1043764
Depends.
Where are you located?
>>
>>1043764
smokingpipes dot com has always worked well for me.
>>
>>1043787
New Zealand
>>
>>1043888
>New Zealand
Sorry m8, NZ's its own especially shitty case.
Best I can tell you is to start growing your own. Tobacco's easy as hell to grow once it germinates, and curing it is as simple as hanging bunches up in an outside shed to dry.
>>
>>1043888
Growing or getting in contact with some smugglers is probably your best bets. Ordering foreign wont be cheaper if you have to pay duty and that...
>>
File: DSC_1839.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1839.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
Carved the pipe for maximum ergonomic grip.
Pic related tabacco is incredibly floral, new to this and after something for summer. Perhaps a vanilla aromatic? What should I smoke next?
>>
>>1043996
damn dude! nice
>>
File: IMG_7946.jpg (101KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7946.jpg
101KB, 900x600px
>>1043996
You did a good job. Very nice pipe.

I'm partial to this, but be warned: it's strong.
>>
File: DSC_1840.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1840.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>1044007
High nicotine aparently, do you find that? I'm going to the continent soon where there's next to no tax, I'll bulk buy some tabaccos. Thatll make the list.
>>
so i tried pipe smoking for the first time yesterday. there was a little lip on the plastic thing sticking out of the corn cob pipe, so i was able to kind of grip it between my teeth and puff a little while i was grilling some chicken. is that what the little lip is for?

i felt like popeye doing the hands-free smoking thing.
>>
>>1044064
Pretty much. It catches the back of your teeth so you don't have to bite down hard on the stem.

Don't chew on the stem, they're fairly soft and you'll scar them up, and if you bite down hard enough you can crack them.

There are certain kinds of pipes designed to be able to be smoked hands-free, most corncobs and the Irish short, straight-stemmed ones come to mind. Others are pretty much impossible due to either bulk or leverage (like a churchwarden).
>>
>>1044067
what shapes are best for hands free?
>>
File: 002-009-3220.jpg (27KB, 600x290px) Image search: [Google]
002-009-3220.jpg
27KB, 600x290px
What wax should I use for the pipe stem?

I've got a Savinelli Churchwarden I've had for close to 10 years I just de-oxidized the stem on, need to re-preserve the stem.
>>1044069
Anything close to pic related.
>short stem
>not-very-beefy bowl
There's others based on weight that can be done with varying degrees of comfort but the most comfy are the short (stubby) straight pipes.
>>
>>1044067
thankyou, sir. and thanks for the heads-up about the plastic thing being called a stem.
>>
>>1044071
Ive seen some people put chapstick on their stem to preserve it.
Im sure professionals use some proper wax and a buffing machine.
>>
>>1044050
I do.
It'll knock you on your ass, but the flavor is so nice.
>>
File: IMG_8006.jpg (58KB, 507x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8006.jpg
58KB, 507x600px
>>1044064
The "plastic thing" is called the mouthpiece, and that "little lip" is called the button. And yes, that's exactly what it's for.

>>1044069
Lighter is better than heavier, shorter is better than longer, and bent is better than straight (less leverage, requires less mouth pressure to keep clenched).
Pipes shaped like pic related are very good for clenching.

>>1044071
Carnauba wax is the longest lasting natural thing you can put onto your mouthpiece, but most waxes will work.

>>1044075
Chapstick has beeswax in it, which works, among other things. Beeswax isn't as durable as carnauba, but it is much more readily available in small quantities.
>>
File: 18022g.jpg (88KB, 800x428px) Image search: [Google]
18022g.jpg
88KB, 800x428px
>Tfw theres finaly a huricane pipe on The Danish Pipeshop
>out of monies for funsies atleast until mid next month
>theres no chance in hell it wont sell before that
feels bad man
pic related
>>
>>1044172
Sux. That's a neat looking pipe.
>>
>>1043440
>>1043419

Do be aware, the guts of those aren't easily user serviceable. I have an old one that the output doesn't seal properly and it constantly leaks gas, and I haven't been bothered to figure out where to send it out to for repairs.

As others have said, you fill it up with the same thing you'd fill up like a cigar torch lighter or most any other. it comes in a sort of metal tank.
>>
>>1044228
I got it working now, and that's exactly whats happening. Its leaking gas at all times, I guess thats the value you get for 3 dollars.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (150KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
150KB, 1280x720px
Had my Missouri Meerschaum Huck Finn pipe for almost a week.

Tried clenching it, but I bit too hard and bent the mouthpiece (I have TMJD which makes my teeth warped and my bite uneven). Works just fine still, but I'm a bit disappointed at how quickly it happened.

Additionally, I've got some char around the top of the bowl, and some gunky black stuff around the outside. I had hoped to maintain it better -- but then again, it was only 7 dollars.

I took it /out/ to Pedernales State park and puffed at it while sitting on a partially submerged rock. Didn't take photos unfortunately, pic related is from the internet. Was a great experience, though, sitting and listening to the birds sing.
>>
File: gimli pipe.jpg (115KB, 909x558px) Image search: [Google]
gimli pipe.jpg
115KB, 909x558px
I couldn't believe that this thread hasn't mentioned the master carver... svpipesdesign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54GIUfR6Ck
>>
>>1044345
Good news then.
You can get replacement bits from MM for 50 cents each plus shipping.

Some paper towels moistened with water and/ or isopropyl alcohol will clean up the rims, and for the outside a little furniture cleaner like Pledge will make it look a lot better for not much cash.
>>
Well, finally got into the new bag of Captain Black Royal.

THIS SHIT IS THE HARDEST TO KEEP LIT I'VE EVER SMOKED. It doesn't want to stay packed (keeps springing back up) and it's wetter than hell.

Tastes surprisingly okay though.
>>
is it normal to salivate a little more while smoking a pipe? and to have to spit?
>>
>>1044521
Yes.

Having smoke in your mouth (regardless of the source) does that.
>>
>>1044405
Great to know, thanks for the advice. It worked.
>>
File: 20170623_234907.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170623_234907.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Not sure what to think of this yet. Borrowed tin, will probably buy my own to keep smoking and try different packing and pace. I want to like it, and I detect potential, but I think I'm too used to heavy Latakia and Orientals and need time with the va/per. I smoked it out of my usual frog Morton pipe and it was better than out of my usual Durbar/old Dublin etc pipe. But I know it's still ghosting. I'm about due another pipe, maybe I'll try this as first smoke when I find the one.

BTW, this wessex is a cheap pipe, but smokes alright and is great for clinching.
>>
>>1044423
It is hard to keep lit. I have to put a lighter to it near constantly. Leaving the pouch open to the air for the day will certainly help, though. CBR is generally what I smoke while I await my online orders to arrive. Not bad, not great... smokable.
>>
>>1044521
Yeah, it's normal. Salivating is one of the body's automated defence mechanisms against smoke. If you find you're somewhat drooling into the bit, make sure you keep your head level, or elevated, and that will help.
>>
Hello from Olympia, Washington. Damn I've been searching various boards for pipe smoking for awhile and thought I'd never find a community on 4chan for this. I'm so happy to find you guys. I've been smoking 6 months now and I'm highly enjoying it.

I don't have issues with keeping the pipe lit or tongue bite or anything like that. However, when I'm driving during the day and smoking, the pipe gets so god damn hot. I don't have this issue when I'm on my deck. Smooth smokes start to finish. Any strategic advice some pipe gurus would share about keeping the pipe cool during a drive n smoke?
>>
File: 20170518_181924.jpg (1MB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_181924.jpg
1MB, 1500x1125px
>>1044635
i sometimes bike and smoke, in the begining it got retardedly hot too, but, you focus more is the only advice i can give, go three times slower then you would normally. i guess since im on a bike there would be more airflow therefore hotter pipe but its also an attention thing i think, may also be that since you are in a car, the air doesnt move around much and therefore cooling of your pipe is less? hmm
>>
File: 20170624_135535.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_135535.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Getting Stuck under a tree in heavy rain is comfy as fuck
>>
>>1044694
That's a super goofy looking bike, but yeah one of my favorite things is to sit on my porch during thunderstorms and smoke.

Last year we had a really bad one and I ended up with a family of raccoons and a young deer sitting on my porch with me, all just watching the rain and being glad we were dry.
>>
>>1044635
You're probably smoking too fast because you're paying more attention to driving than you are smoking. I'm assuming you're driving with your windows all the way down in order to vent the smoke better, and not just cracked. The extra airflow over the bowl will make it burn hotter and faster than you're used to.

Alternatively you could get a different pipe to dedicate as your car pipe. Either something with a very tall, chimney like bowl or a "hurricane pipe" with a wind cover.
>>
File: 20170624_144622.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_144622.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Just cracked open a new 50g tin of Irish flake. That musk. Pretty much smells like a mix of Christmas desert. Heavy rye bread and a fucking zoo. I love it
>>1044698
You may not like it. But its what peak performance looks like. Heh
>>
>>1044705
What bike is it?
>>
>>1044713
Nihola low
>>
>>1044715
That is certainly one funky looking bike.
>>
>>1044717
A funny looking dude, needs a funny looking bike
>>
>>1044546
>BTW, this wessex is a cheap pipe, but smokes alright and is great for clinching.
I was wondering about Wessex pipes, saw they have some pretty nice looking ones with cumberland stems, but was unsure of the quality being that they're like $50 lol. Do need a decent inexpensive billiard or bent billiard to take with me on adventures.
>>
>>1044694
Holy shit that's a comfy pic.
>>
>>1044228
I got it working completely now, fixed the leak and everything. If you're still here, and if youre interested, I can take some pics and show you how I fixed it. You might be able to fix yours similarly..
>>
>>1044732
i´d like to see, i have an old Dunhill i´ve been meaning to fix up myself
>>
>>1044724
I got it on a package deal from pipes and Cigars. Little starter pack. Look for those, best value
>>
File: 20170625_000512.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_000512.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
Cozy
>>
File: 1496716200583.jpg (273KB, 1242x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1496716200583.jpg
273KB, 1242x1024px
>>1044643
>>1044702
I'll look into those options. Thank you gentlemen.
>>
File: IMG_20170624_202457.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_202457.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Anyone else ever have trouble keeping Sutliff Frosty Mint lit?
>>
>>1045145
I have trouble keeping anything lit
>>
>>1045149
>>1045149
Anon's advice about smoking slower and packing lighter really does work.

I've gone from lighting every 30 seconds to lighting every ten minutes. You'll get the hang of it, just takes practice.

Just try different things until you find something that works for you. You don't have to smoke in any certain way.

Also consider watching YouTube. There's a surprising amount of how-tos out there wrt pipe smoking.
>>
>>1045149
Fundamentals time:
1) Let your tobacco dry out. Some aromatics are packed notoriously wet. Let them dry out before lighting up. Water puts out fire. If you pack your pipe full of wet tobacco, not only will you have a hard time keeping it lit, the only places that water can go when it turns into steam are either out the top of the bowl or up the stem to bite your tongue.

2) Smoke slower. The slower you smoke an aromatic, the more time the water has to escape from the tobacco by going up the bowl. If you puff like a steam train, there's no way for moisture to escape the pipe except by going into your mouth.

3) Pack your pipe less full. Even better, don't compress ANYTHING before you light it. Just do a straight gravity fill. This gives the moisture in the tobacco room to escape when it starts heating up. The more the steam can go up, the less it goes down and either soaks your tobacco into oblivion, turns into foul-tasting water that you slurp up or flashes into steam and bites the hell out of your tongue. When it comes time to tamp you can but GO EASY. Try using the tamper more like a broom on the top of the tobacco than a plunger.
4), REALLY light the tobacco. Do a two-stage light. For your first-or charring-light, watch for the tobacco to fluff up. For the second light, light the whole top of the tobacco so that it all glows when you take a puff.
>>
>>1045206
Well damn, now I know what my problem is. Someone told me that you're not supposed to let it dry. My Frosty Mint is fairly wet.
>>
>>1045216
You don't want it fully desiccated because then it tastes like ass, but most aromatics come quite a bit wetter than what is ideal because they expect it to dry out as you smoke through it and they don't want it going stale before you finish it.
>>
>>1045216
The easy way to gauge proper moisture is with a pinch test.
Your tobacco should be moist enough to spring back when you pinch it, but not so moist that it feels wet at all.
>>
File: IMG_8025.png (291KB, 529x463px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8025.png
291KB, 529x463px
>>1045225
That's when humidifying packs like pic related are called for.
When things start tasting faded, throw your tobacco into a ziplock bag or glass Mason jar (more ideal), drop a humidifying pack into it and wait a couple of days. When the humidity equalizes it should taste how you remember it.
The nice thing about those particular humifiers is that they work two ways-when the tobacco is too wet they will absorb moisture too, unlike other humidifiers. When things are REALLY dry I still like the older types for dumping larger amounts of water into the tobacco, but when it's close, in goes the two-way pack.
>>
>>1045124
Recognize that painting!

that hangs in the National Gallery of Denmark!
>>
>>1043024
Look into buying small amounts of bulk online. Order an ounce or two of a variety of tobaccos you want to try (if they're available in bulk which many are not, unfortunately) and you'll be set. Shipping prices are very reasonable from the two main sites (SmokingPipes and PipesAndCigars) if you're ordering from the US and it seems their international rates are reasonable from what I've gathered. You can also get good prices on the regular drugstore brands.
>>
>>1045526
Yeah what I'm probably gonna do in the future is simply order 100g tins online. I smoke rarely enough that anything more than that has a tendency to go stale.
>>
>>1045530
Get some cheap jars and transfer your tobacco to those. They'll keep your tobacco fresh as long as you don't open it too often. If you're going to buy tins it's a good idea so you can try different ones without having to worry about them going stale. I went to a dollar store and bought some mason jars as well as larger spice jars, all in various sizes, and spent just a few bucks. Well worth it
>>
>>1045534
I've got a ceramic cookie jar shaped like a fox that I've been storing my tobacco in, works alright but doesn't have a great seal (no gasket).

Shit still goes stale before I smoke it all. I smoke that slowly.
>>
>>1045541
If it isn't airtight you might as well leave it in the opened tin for all the good it'll do you. Get something with a good seal and you won't have any more problems. And it'll be helpful for if/when you decide to start ordering bulk. When I started I had the same problem as I was only smoking a bowl two or three times a week so my tobacco would go stale about halfway through the tin. Airtight jars are a godsend
>>
>>1043520
I've had Deep Hollow on my wishlist for a while but I keep trying others and adding more to the list. I don't think I've tried a Virginia aromatic yet
>>
i've owned my corncob pipe for a few days now, i've smoked maybe 4-5 bowls from it. today, i noticed that the bowl itself was starting to blacken (about half-dime diameter). is this normal wear & tear for the bowl? should i look at getting something else that will last a bit longer?
>>
File: 2017-06-25 13.03.53.jpg (2MB, 1400x2502px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-25 13.03.53.jpg
2MB, 1400x2502px
Enjoying the warm, sunny day in the Yukon, and enjoying my Vincenzo P-Lip with a bowl of Modern Virginia.
Figured I'd share the love with my favorite new thread.
>>
>>1045652
>>1045652
That's normal for any pipe. Pipes char from use and some ash residue builds up on the sides of the bowl. In the pipe world, it's called "cake". There is some debate about how much cake is good for a cob or if it's even desirable at all, but in briars having at least a little bit in the bowl is a beneficial thing to help the pipe smoke cooler.
In the case of cheaper cobs, the charring of the stem at the bottom of the bowl also makes it more fireproof and neutral tasting than it would otherwise be. Some people like to cut down the stem in the bottom of the bowls, but that stem does double duty. It keeps most of the embers at the bottom of the bowl from the soft cob underneath, and whatever gaps there are when new quickly get filled in with ash as you smoke it. The net effect is a fireproof layer of ash quickly develops that protects your cob's bottom from burning out for many years-if you take care of it.
>>
>>1045730
are you referring to blackening on the outside of the bowl? that's what i meant, to clarify.

my pipe got blacked.
>>
>>1045747
Thought you were talking about charring on the inside.

Got a pic of what you're talking about?
>>
File: exterior-char.jpg (2MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
exterior-char.jpg
2MB, 4608x2592px
>>1045799
there's also some slight blackening at the front of the bowl.
>>
>>1045808
Woah. That's not supposed to happen. Does the cob get really hot when you smoke it?
>>
I am kind of curious as to what /tpg/entlemen wear while smoking a pipe outside. I wana get a combination that don't make me look like a fedorabro/ too redneck.
preferb summer look
>>
How good/bad is smoker's pride? It's the only thing I can find on this island in on
>>
>>1045816
it does sometimes. could it be the way i have been smoking it? i take slow, long draws, say a consistent slow draw of around 3 seconds, and occasionally some quick puffs, a few in a row.

i'm wondering if it's just because it was a cheap $3 tobacco shop deal?
>>
File: survey results.png (67KB, 1000x657px) Image search: [Google]
survey results.png
67KB, 1000x657px
>>1045863
It's probably just some defect in your pipe, contact the company you got it from and I bet they'd send a replacement.
>>1045844
just normal clothes, otherwise I'd look and feel autistic.
>>1045170
>>1045206
Thanks for the advice guys, I took your advice when I smoked some natural dutch Cavendish today, and it was a little better, but I still had some trouble. I think most of my trouble comes from how I tamp it, I'll have to do more research.

oh and here's the results of the strawpoll if you haven't seen it yet.
>>
>>1045863
You're not supposed to draw like that. Are you inhaling the smoke?

Sip at it and keep it in your mouth.

The cob should last even if it is cheap.
>>
>>1045844
Just normal clothes. For me that means a button up, jeans, and a belt. No reason to bring out your best suit just to smoke your pipe.
>>
>>1045914
not inhaling the smoke, just clenching it in my teeth and taking long draws. i'll try to stop doing that and see how it goes.
>>
>>1045844
i don't get dressed to smoke. i step out on the deck in whatever i'm wearing. usually, when i'm smoking the pipe it's in some athletic shorts and a wife-beater, because i'm grilling dinner for the family.
>>
File: tmp_17880-IMG9518911126448414.jpg (191KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_17880-IMG9518911126448414.jpg
191KB, 1280x960px
Having a little frog morton tonight. Glad this tin is nearly done, something happened to it...it's flavor has been cut in half. Age and air I guess? It's still moist though...

I found a nice spot beneath a leaf tree to smoke. I'm away from home all the way across the US for a 10 day class for work. The campus we are on used to be an old Catholic girls school, so it's neat.

But I'm naturally introverted. And though I've made friends, 8 hours a day is very draining, and I miss my wife. I've never been this far from her in the six years we've been married. I know that sounds pathetic but we are very close and she is my best friend.

So it's hard. "Alone in a crowd" as the saying goes. So when I found this spot under these sugar maples and other hardwoods, where the lights are mostly blocked and I can watch the fireflies across the road, I knew I had my spot, and every night I take my pipe here to recharge and reflect.

It's nice.
>>
>>1045844
When I was overseas in Asia I'd smoke in suits in the big cities (Busan, Tokyo, Seoul) for the nightlife and I'd make friends instantly not just the locals. It's quite uncommon and I'd get a lot of attention (well more than a typical foreigner would get) but it was always positive. Except this one Japanese gentleman who kept asking me to smoke the pipe, then again 5 minutes later, then again 5 minutes later, I eventually had to kindly ask him to fuck off, strange fellow.

A good chunk would ask if it was marijuana and I'd humor them and let them try.

Back home I'm just casual.
>>
>>1045929
>I've never been this far from her in the six years we've been married. I know that sounds pathetic but we are very close and she is my best friend.

I found this incredibly beautiful. I'm truly happy for you anon. Glad you found a lovely smoking spot on your travels, and a lovely wife to boot. How does she feel about your smoking? How'd you meet?
>>
>>1045844
Depends on where I'm at.

If I'm at home, since I live very rurally, usually JUST a pair of house slippers.

Otherwise what I'm already wearing.
>>
>>1045969
Thanks man.

She doesn't mind, I don't do it at home much though, and when I do I mouthwash after and wash my hands. Mostly I smoke at work. I'm the EMS guy who posts now and then.

When I was 18 I joined a volunteer fire dept to start getting experience and certs to pursue a fire/ems career. She and her father were there too. Family tradition for them. It took 5 years because I'm shy with women and had misconceptions about her but when I was living at the main station as a station resident we started hanging out and that's that. I also get along well with her parents which is nice.
>>
>>1045816
If the outside of the pipe is hot make sure to stop smoking it until it cools down. Some people recommend holding it against the back of your hand or your cheek and if it's too hot to leave there for more than a few seconds then you should rest the pipe.
>>
>>1045844
Bro, you're smoking for the wrong reasons when you have to be concerned about coordinating outfits to go with it. Don't be such a hipster about it. Just smoke for the fun of it, for the flavor of it, and not for how it makes you look.
>>
Anyone tried smoking ashton's artisan blend? Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_8043.jpg (1MB, 2087x2706px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8043.jpg
1MB, 2087x2706px
Pipe of the night

Small Dublin-shaped meerschaum loaded with Dunhill Flake. It's been soggy and rainy all day, so I decided the meer would get a workout tonight. It's nice and small for easy clenching while fishing.
The Dunhill Flake's flavor came as a surprise. Been smoking more mild burleys lately, so the full-house Virginia flavor of the DF hit hard, but wasn't unwelcome. Dunhill Flake is probably the best straight Virginia I've tried so far.

>>1045808
>>1045863
That's called a burnout.
Your cob is dead, anon.

The Chinese $3 cobs are absolutely prone to doing that, and that's why I don't recommend them. They're complete shit.
I'm actually surprised yours lasted as long as it did. Many times they burn out after just a couple bowls.

You may not be supposed to take huge long draws, but a pipe should be able to handle it, and most pipes will. You're not the first one to take long draws from a pipe, after all.
Unfortunately, you're also not the first one to get a quick burnout from a chinkshit cob pipe. Stay away, anons.

For just $4 more you could get a Missouri Meerschaum Legend at a drugstore that smokes like a dream and will last you for years, even decades. It's the best deal going in pipes.
The cheap Chinese cobs trade on MM's reputation, but as you found out their stuff is just trash.

>>1045844
Just normal clothes. After all, this isn't /fa/.
What do you wear, anon?

>>1045861
Actually pretty good.
It's made by STG/Lane, who makes Captain Black and the bulk tobacco lots of local shops use for their own house blends.
SP is basically most of their bulk tobacco line packaged under a brand name for retail sale.
It's one of the few "value" pipe tobacco lines that really is for pipes and not just disguised RYO cigarette tobacco.

>>1045929
IKTF anon.

As for your tobacco, it's probably just dried out. Throw it into a ziplock bag and add a cheap humidifier soaked in distilled water. Your tobacco should be good as ever in a day.
>>
>>1046178
>>1046110
thanks. i've been looking at a few pipes on meerschaum's web site. this motivated me to pull the trigger.
>>
>>1046178
that pipe is so fucking nice dude, how tall is the bowl?
>>
>>1046178
This. I bought a $2 chinkshit cob pipe off amazon to keep in my car for shits n' giggles, and it literally burst entirely into flames (outside and all) and burned through the first time I lit it. They'd used some super-flammable lacquer on it that smelled like burning tires and I'm sure was full of every carcinogen on the planet. Nearly burned my car out in the process of chucking it out the window.
>>
>>1045844
just whatever i happen to be waring, something with pockets .
>>
>>1046294
>you included a zippe for scale
nvm im retarded
>>
>>1046178
>It's one of the few "value" pipe tobacco lines that really is for pipes and not just disguised RYO cigarette tobacco.
Thanks, I was afraid that's what it was. Glad to know. I'll have to grab some
>>
Just ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Elf to replace the Dwarf I lost.
>>
>>1046178
>>1046298
thanks. i just bought a diplomat corncop and an ozark mountain cherry hardwood from missouri meerschaum.
>>
What's the sweetest tobacco you've ever had or heard of? Love sweets and want to see just how sweet a blend can possibly get. I heard Molto Dolce is up there, any anons know anything that can top it?
>>
>>1046559
Mac Baren's Dark Twist is actually pretty naturally sweet. Don't think it outdoes MD tho.
>>
>>1046298
Holy shit. That's an epic picture you've painted. Glad you didn't die...
>>
Trying out the smoker's pride whiskey tonight
>>
>>1046808
i'm pretending that bowl is the size of a small wastebasket.
>>
Pipe and wine. Thoughts?
>>
>>1046869
I've had some zesty Virginias that would go great with a white wine
>>
I'm gonna make a pipe anyone have any advice? only problem is I don't have a drill. I can burn the stem with hot wire, but I am not sure how to do the bowl, would a spoon knife do the job? Could I simply burn it like you would burn a bowl? Watched a few people try the burning method but it never seems to get that deep, and maybe that works for weed but tobacco pipes seem deeper
>>
>>1046869
>>1046896
Same, I often drink white wine with Orlik GS.
Maybe red would go well with some really latakia heavy blends.
>>
>>1046903
If you want to go absolutely minimum on tools and want to do it "bushcrafty" just center you knife and spin to drill. Did it once. Takes ages. The bowl is easy. Joining the stem is harder.

I think there is a instruction on a wood pipe is Mors Kochanski's bushcraft. Will check when I get home in about an hour.
>>
File: 20170627_142712.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_142712.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1046903
>>1046919
Here is Mors take. Never done this myself but if Mors says it works it probably works

Photo is probably gonna be sideways to fit the whole page
>>
>>1046903
Fired clay is the easiest to do. You can either use storebought clay or dig it yourself, I've used both. They don't last forever (they're not really designed to) but they're actually pretty good smokers.

Other option is go buy a $1 pack of drill bits from your local Northern Tool and simply turn them by hand.
>>
>>1046567
Thanks anon, I'll check it out.
>>
I have an MM corncob, and it's getting cracks, outwards from the stem. Right now they're superficial, but I don't want to wait until they're not.

I've had it for a week and a half and, admittedly, have grossly neglected it, leaving it out on the porch in the humid air.

Can I plug them up with epoxy or wood glue? Or should I scrap it and get another?
>>
>>1046919
>>1046931
thanks for the advice, that looks like it would work well enough for me to give it a try
>>1046951
I might try that later on too, though my experience with clay is much more limited, thanks
>>
RYO cigarette tobacco, bought some a while ago with my pipe since I was poor and wanted to at least try it before I bought real tobacco.
Tried on several occasions and can't get it to light, tried Frank's method too.
I know the tobacco is worse quality but is it usually so hard to light?
>>
>>1046918
You know I never associated the two but, I've had some pretty meaty reds that might fit the bill.

This has some promise.
>>
>>1047400
I don't know how well that's really gonna work out. How are you lighting it after packing? Is it just not catching at all?

You might just want to get a pouch of borkum rif. I tried that as my first tobacco in a sampler pack and I liked it. Pouch tobaccos aren't the greatest but to get started and see what you like they certainly have enough character to enjoy and figure out your taste, refine your technique and rhythm etc.
>>
>>1047405
Smokes for 2 seconds and stops immediately.
Lurked these threads since their inception and still hasn't worked, it won't burn at all.
I know this tobacco won't taste good, just want to give it a shot since my finances right now won't allow me to justify purchasing anything that isn't food related until mid August.
>>
Anyone else get hand tremors after er really heavy smoke? Am I just a super lightweight?
>>
>>1043286
Man. A bone pipe would probably taste TERRIBLE
>>
>>1046903
If you just want to try your hand at carving the bowl then check out something like this https://www.amazon.com/Tobacco-Pipe-Briar-Wood-Block/dp/B009SYZN7E?th=1
If you decide you like that well enough then invest some money in the tools of the trade and make your own from a solid block
>>
>>1047378
Is it your only pipe? How often do you smoke it? If you haven't abused it (and leaving it in the humid air doesn't really sound that terrible) or oversmoked it I'd contact whoever you bought it form and see if they'll replace it since it sounds defective.
>>
>>1047418
Is it too moist?
Are you packing it too tightly?
Are you packing it tight enough?
Are you tamping it down after your charring light when it fluffs up (and maybe even again after your true/second light)?
>>
>>1047571
Doesn't seem too moist.
Filling the bowl by scooping the pipe in the bag, then lightly doing that tamping thing in Frank's method.
Yes I tamp a little after the charring light.

Honestly I'm bad with lighters so I hope this bic is working alright.
>>
>>1047508
I get a bit nauseous if I smoke a nicotine-rich blend or if I smoke too much in a short amount of time. But if you're just starting out then you're a lightweight, though that'll change once your body gets used to the nicotine. Maybe pack a smaller bowl or take a mid-bowl break for a while (which can be nice in its own way since the flavor changes a bit if you let it rest for a while.)
>>
>>1047573
Make sure to get a good first couple of lights, almost to the point of setting it on fire if need be. Draw the flame down deep.
I don't like Frank's method at all since it's hard for me to get it packed evenly. The more traditional 3 pack method has always worked better for me. But sometimes you'll find a tobacco that's simply harder to keep lit and that's all there is to it. I've got a burley that gives me the same sort of trouble and all I can do is simply relight it.
>>
>>1047574
I've been smoking for a year ...
>>
>>1047597
What tobacco are you smoking? How many bowls a day? I smoke daily (and have for quite some time) but there are certain blends that will leave me a bit shaky by the end of a bowl because of how much nicotine they have. And there's nothing wrong with that. You're talking about spending upwards of an hour ingesting nicotine so yeah, eventually you'll feel an effect. It isn't like cigarette smoking where you maintain a constant, low-level amount of nicotine in your body throughout the day (unless you're one of those 10 bowls a day pipe smoker.)
>>
Carved this after chopping down a tree. What do you think?
>>
File: youre-special-reward-star.png (65KB, 401x351px) Image search: [Google]
youre-special-reward-star.png
65KB, 401x351px
>>1047609
>>
>>1047609
if it works it aint stoopid
>>
>>1047609
i think it looks fucked
>>
>>1047615
that's the stupidest thing someone can say
>>
>>1047378
If the cracks are around the stem, just use a bit of wood glue to keep the stem in there. It's non-toxic, and it's what MM does.
If it's in the rest of the bowl, check to see how deep they are. Usually they're just small surface cracks from the cobs going from dry to wet and back again frequently and your pipe is still smokable.
If that's the case, you have two options. One is to coat the outside lightly with a dab of aloe vera gel (the sunburn stuff). This will keep the cob hydrated enough so no new cracks form andbthe oresent cracks don't spread. The other is to put a little bit of white glue in the cracks to hold it together and keep them from splitting further.
>>
>>1047400
Frank's method works I'll give it that, but I don't like taking 5 minutes to pack a pipe. But the fundamental principles he uses and teaches are all sound, and that's why I've linked it in the OP.
Frank's method really is just a combination of "the codger scoop" method-just filling the pipe loosely with tobacco and not pressing it down at all-and a "cannonball"-a big blob of tobacco wedged into the top of the pipe with nothing underneath. Used separately, both methods give you a flavorful smoke that stays lit without much fuss.
The cannonball lasts longer, but is harder to light on the front end because the tobacco is compressed in the top of the pipe, while the codger scoop is easy to light but requires more tamping on the back end.

>>1047418
>>1047573
I know I've advised tamping after the charring light before, but try NOT tamping after the char light and see how that goes, just go straight to the second light.

Another thing that doesn't get covered often is lighting (and lighter) technique. When lighting a pipe, you want to make sure the whole top is lit and glows when you puff.
With bics and matches, the very hottest part of the fire is JUST ABOVE the top of the flame, because that's the point where all of the fuel has burned. Put your tobacco here and it will light quickly and leave no aftertaste. Sticking it into the middle of the flame is colder, will take longer, and will give you a taste of the lighter fluid.

Also note that Frank uses a torch lighter to light his pipe in part 3 of his videos-a torch burns hotter and allows him to light ALL the tobacco on top at the same time. I know many pipe guys like to use softer flames like matches or bics because they're less likely to char the rims of their pipes, but any source of fire will char pipe rims if you linger too long when lighting. And a torch lights tobacco quickly.

If you want to try a torch, the Ronson Jetlite is available at Walmart for $5. It's refillable and works great.
>>
File: 0628170952-1.jpg (855KB, 1592x3141px) Image search: [Google]
0628170952-1.jpg
855KB, 1592x3141px
What to smoke first...
>>
>>1047509
Would certainly be one of the dryer smokes you could have. Bone's pretty porous.

You could also pretty easily avoid off tastes by whitewashing the bowl like they do cob pipes.
>>
>>1047803
Stonehenge Flake cuz I've got it on order
>>
>>1047569
What does oversmoking a pipe mean?

I smoke it a one to three times each day. Splashed it in water once while /out/ but nothing too severe.

>>1047751
Thanks. Gonna do this.
Pipe functions just fine. I'll seal it with wood glue and take it easy.

Thinking about buying a cheap 3 dollar cherry pipe from my local smoke shop, maybe two, to put in my rotation. I figure it's less likely to burn out than a cheap corncob.
>>
>>1047860
It means smoking a pipe more than once every day or two. The recommendation is to have a few different pipes and rotate them. So, if you smoke a bowl out of one pipe then you should give it at least a day (though most say 2) to rest before using it again. You're oversmoking your pipe if you use it multiple times a day, every day.
>>
>>1047861
Good to know.

I'll go grab some of those cheap cherries at my local smoke shop so I don't ruin this one. Didn't have a clue, thanks for the info.
>>
>>1047806
But wouldn't bones pores be large and all run in the same direction?
>>
>>1047910
No problem. Also, another piece of advice (though it may not apply to you): even if you're smoking cheap pipes, make sure to clean them regularly and take care of them the way you would something more expensive. They can last a lifetime same as any other pipe so take care of them.
>>
>>1047932
>>1047932
It sure does apply to me, because I bought these with the attitude of smoking them till they break. At the very least I'm going to smoke them multiple times daily, I want to be able to do that. If I can't I'll likely return to cigarettes, which I don't want.

Besides, these stems connect 3/4 of the way down the bowl. Not at the bottom. I don't think I want to keep a pipe like that. But maybe I will, we'll see. They're nice because I can clench them comfortably despite my jaw problem.

Any opinions on Super Value tobacco?
>>
Dutchfag here from one or two threads ago worrying about my shipment from the USA. Everything arrived today, including the tobacco! Despite the warning of the government to destroy any foreign tobacco i just had to pay 20 euros cash to the delivery guy.. So that probably means im gonna order again from the states.

Gonna smoke my first corncob hopefully tomorrow, because today it's raining like crazy. Thanks to the anons who helped me out earlier.
>>
>>1047917
Depends on which bone you use. Try to make a pipe out of a large mammal's femur, yes. Carve one out of a medium sized mammal's scapula or other flat/irregular bone, no.
>>
>>1047960
If you mean you're going to smoke a single pipe multiple times a day then you'll burn through them sooner than later (within a couple of months I'd bet) and just have to buy another. You might as well spend a bit more upfront, get a few pipes, and rotate them. If you have five different pipes and smoke each one once a day you'll be in a much better position.

I used to smoke cigarettes and tried to switch to a pipe. It sucked, it wasn't satisfying, and it couldn't keep me from going back to cigarettes. Pipe smoking is more of a hobby than a necessity for most us. It took me a long while (and quitting smoking altogether for a few years) before I was able to pick up pipe smoking and enjoy it for what it is. You can definitely smoke a pipe all day and burn through some nicotine-rich tobaccos but it's completely different from cigarette smoking.

I haven't smoked any Super Value tobaccos so I don't have an idea, but I'd tell you to price some basic, bulk tobaccos online and go that route. I bet you can find some stuff that's just as cheap but much better quality. Also, a lot of that cheap bulk tobacco they sell in stores is branded for pipes but is meant for hand rolled cigarettes. It's a way they avoid paying steeper taxes.
>>
>>1047966
Here's the thing: I can put down nicotine, but I have a ritual around smoking that I can't give up. It relaxes me.

Started smoking grass (sorry folks), replaced that ritual with cigarettes, and now I'm replacing that with pipes. It's not the nicotine, but the act of sitting down, lighting the stuff, and focusing on it that makes my mind rest. I need to do it multiple times a day, and I'd rather do it with pipes than cigarettes, for the sake of my lungs.

Besides, even if I smoke multiple times daily and burn out cheap pipes within months, I'm still ahead financially, spending maybe 6 dollars each week for tobacco and 6 dollars every few months for the cheap pipes, as opposed to buying a 6 dollar pack of cigarettes a day.

The ritual of pipe smoking is much more relaxing than cigarettes: I'd suck them down one after another, all in a rush, not enjoying them even. With pipes I don't feel like shit, tastes better, and lets me slow down for longer. I really like pipesmoking.

Sorry to disregard your advice: I'll take it in the future as I slow down and learn to smoke properly. But for now, this works for me.

With regards to tobacco, I'll look online. I guess I want to try Half and Half or something. The Super Value stuff I found at the smoke shop down the road, so it makes sense that it might be for cigarettes. They do have different flavors, however, so there's that.
>>
>>1047964
aww. warms my heart
>>
>>1047993
At the very least you should make sure to keep pipe cleaners on hand when you smoke since you aren't giving your pipe enough time to dry out (another reason for letting them rest for a day.) As long as you do that you won't have too many problems with smoking one pipe multiple times a day. But if you're going for cheap you should go for corncob rather than a hardwood pipe. They hold up much better especially to frequent use and are the same price or close enough. I burned out a hardwood pipe once when I was a beginner smoker and learned to avoid them. Of all the pipes I've purchased that was the only one to ever give me problems. Corncobs are the best quality you can get for such a low price
>>
>>1047834
It was pretty good. Didn't get to smoke the whole bowl because i couldn't keep it lit, but thats mostly my fault. I'm still perfecting the art of smoking flake tobacco.
>>
Cheap cherry and walnut pipes.

>>1047997
Yeah, I've heard they require a break-in period. Pipe cleaners aren't a problem.
>>
File: IMG_0681.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0681.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>1048050
Fuck, forgot the photo.
>>
>>1047575
I know lots of people swear by the 3-step pack. Do you have any specific way to do it so that a new pipe smoker can do what you say to do and it will work?

When I see it explained to new guys, the experts start saying "it"s a feel thing" or "it takes practice" a lot.
That bugs me.
That's exactly the opposite of what you want when you're teaching someone something. You want clear, simple and works the first time if you follow the method.
No description of the 3 step method that I've ever seen does that.
>>
>>1047966
>>1047993
Super Value is real pipe tobacco. It's made by Sutliff, and has been owned by Mac Baren since 2013.
They make good stuff.
Their English Mixture in particular is very good for the price.
I mean, $5 for a 1.5oz pouch of Latakia-forward tobaccos that tastes like a poor man's 965? Yes please.
>>
>>1047780
Just tried again with what I believe to be a better lighter method.
The top of the tobacco instantly greyed and the ember didn't follow through, even after lightly sipping it was just ash.
Had to tamp because top was just ash and repeat, left the lighter on the top for less than 2 seconds each time.
Should I lightly inhale when lighting?
>>
>>1048177
Inhale is a loaded term around here, but I puff lightly when lighting, if that helps you.
>>
>>1048184
Yeah that's what I meant, was thinking the same thing when I posted it "wonder if he knows by inhale they know I mean just to pull it in my mouth".
Thanks, I tried to do that a few different times and it worked better.
Still think a combination of this being RYOC tobacco and it being a little older is causing it to ash and not want to burn.
>>
>>1048194
Definitely take a series of short puffs in succession when lighting. That's how you get your charring light, and then do the same to get an ember.

And honestly that fucker will go out anyway and you'll have to relight. I've had to relight this bowl twice now. Its from a fresh, moist tin of Dunhill Elizabethan, and I keep getting distracted since I'm out walking the campus.
>>
im thinking about buying a corn cob pipe would it be as nice as a wooden one

ive had metal ones but they felt worse than the wooden one i had then lost to to cops

so corn cob pipe anyone used one before and able to tell me if they are good?
>>
>>1048249
Corncobs dollar for dollar are the best value pipes, they don't ghost like briars, and they're much more durable than a meerschaum.
Plus they're so cheap they're nearly disposable.
>>
>>1048326
god bless the humble corncob
>>
>>1043009
Ah yes. My first pipe was a Missouri Meerschaum "Ozark Mini." I smoked some Prince Albert out of it, and I must say it was nice. As for tobaccos, I smoke NOTHING but cherry-flavored aromatics.
>>
File: 20170629_081321.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170629_081321.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Cheeky early morning smoke before exams

Half a bowl of Irish flake. That ought to jumpstart the system
>>
So you guys aren't hampered by your tobacco use?

I want to start pipe smoking for maximum /comfy/ness when camping and the taste, but fear tobacco use will deteriorate my health and cause other issues (trouble with running, smoke breaks at work, the smell offending people, addiction, etc.)
>>
I decided I was gonna give pipe smoking a try after skimming this thread, but didn't wanna throw a lot of money in, so I decided to make a day out of it. I figure the story will bring some laughs, and probably answer some questions I have.

First off I started my day going to my local smokeshop. It's a tiny little nothing store clearly catering to pot, not tobacco in the first place. I had already decided was gonna give it a try though just to see if I like it, and so I picked up a cheap no-name corncob and a bag of 'premium pipe tobacco', and headed down to the park to relax. I sat down in the shade with a nice view and began packing my first bowl. As soon as I opened the bag though I realized this 'pipe tobacco' was incredibly dry. It felt like shredded paper, but it didn't totally crumble, and the tobacco itself smelled nice, so I tried it anyhow. It lit super easy, regardless of how I packed it, and tongue bite only happened if I took a very large draw, the flavor was nice enough, and the smell was better than any cigarette I had smelled, thought not nearly as nice as pipes i smelled growin up. I thought things were going well, until I realized how hot the pipe was, I could only hold it to my cheek for around 2 seconds, so I snuffed it out and let it cool, before emptying it and repacking with a different method. Same as before it lit well, it tasted fine, but I tried to smoke much much slower, 10-15 seconds between each pull, and yet still it burned just as hot. So I repeated this again, once more, with a different pack, this time as lightly packed as I could. It took 2 trys to light but once it was lit it burned so hot I had to snuff it almost instantly. Over all I enjoyed it and it was a fun way to waste $10. I figure I will enjoy smoking pipe if I get a better pipe and tobacco, but I ended up giving that cheap stuff to a hobo at the park.

My only question is why was it getting hot? too tight/loose packed, or too dry? I don't think I was smoking to fast.
>>
>>1048350
Pipe smoking isn't the same as cigs. I would 100% advise you never to start smoking cigs, but pipes and cigars are more for the taste and you don't inhale like cigs so the nicotine doesn't get to you like that. It's one of those things that you can easily do once a week or once at the end of the day as long as you don't have an addictive personality. And even if you do have an addictive personality, it will only be mental with the pipe.

If you want to start smoking cigs... don't. Instead just give me your money and I will punch you in the lungs and it will be about the same thing.
>>
>>1048350
No. Not physically. Financially sure.
>>
>>1048092
It will take some practice and feel is a part of it mainly because of the different cuts of tobacco you may use, but the general idea is you need pockets of air to enable the tobacco to stay lit.

In general, loosely fill the pipe to the brim (gravity filling works though you may need to shake or thump the pipe to get the tobacco to fall down) and then push it down to the halfway mark. Fill it up again and push that down to some more, about halfway (some people say two-thirds, but it isn't that important). Then, fill it again and press that down a bit more. You may wish to top it off a bit to bring the tobacco level flush with the top of the bowl. And depending on the size of the bowl you may need to fill it four times, maybe even five.

The idea is to layer the tobacco in such a way that the initial layer will become a bit more compressed as each subsequent layer is added on top of it and pressed down. Trial and error are going to be key in every attempt at packing a pipe and the best advice is to stick to one method and one tobacco and keep trying until you can make it work. Also, watch some videos so you can get a better grasp at what's being done since written descriptions aren't the greatest (mine included.)

>>1048099
That's really good to know. I'll definitely check it out sometime
>>
>>1048350
>trouble with running, smoke breaks at work, the smell offending people, addiction, etc.

>don't inhale and you won't have to worry about breathing issues
>set aside an hour to smoke a pipe and you won't be able to do it often
>which means you won't need to worry about offending coworkers with the smell
>keep it private at home (and outdoors) and you probably won't bother anyone you live with, either
>by limiting how often you smoke and treating it as a hobby or a luxury you minimize the risk of addiction. however, as someone who smokes a few times a day I can tell you that it isn't terrible if I go a few days without smoking. I don't suffer any withdrawals.
>>
>>1048351
Did you experience tongue burn or was it just that the pipe was hot to the touch? I have a shitty briar that's very thin and heats up easily so I tend to clench it since holding it is uncomfortable.

If you've ever made a campfire (and this is /out/ so you better fucking have) then think of pipesmoking in the same way. You have to feed the ember oxygen to keep it alive, but too much of it and you'll stoke the fire and make it hotter. If you're furiously puffing on a pipe to keep it lit or to increase the smoke then you're going to make it hotter. Sometimes it's better to hit it with a lighter and save yourself the trouble, which also seems to keep things cooler overall. Also, I read somewhere that a lot of pipesmokers breathe into their pipes for two reasons: one is to help stoke the ember and keep it going, and the other is to blow out some of the trapped steam. I've tried it myself and can definitely attest to it helping keep the ember going. Does it help reduce the steam in the pipe? Maybe. It makes sense that if you can draw steam from the pipe you can certainly lightly breathe into the pipe and expel it.

I hope you give pipe smoking another try and find more enjoyment out of it
>>
>>1044172
>huricane pipe
The only thing I understand about this is you smoke from it
Why's it called a huricane pipe?
What's the deal with the part that looks like 2 bowls?
Is there any difference from smoking from a normal pipe?
I'm new to thid
>>
>>1048404
Okay not two bowls, but it kinda looks like a lid or something hinged onto the bowl
What is it
>>
>>1048404
Not the person you replied to, but that pipe has a windscreen. You use it in windy conditions to keep the bowl safe (and I suppose it could also keep rain from getting in there.)
>>
>>1048407
Damn, seems neat
>>
File: 20170629_045534.png (88KB, 720x724px) Image search: [Google]
20170629_045534.png
88KB, 720x724px
Hey /pipegen/ I'm somewhat new to pipe smoking, and I hang around a few stoner friends that use my pipe to smoke weed out of when we all hang out, if I'm not smoking tobacco at the time anyways
I wanna know if this pipe is capable or even good for weed smoking
Cus honestly I'm too poor to afford a nice tobacco pipe and a nice weed pipe, especially if I'm basically just buying it for my friends
>>
>>1048410
You can smoke weed out of anything you can smoke tobacco out of and vice versa. But your tobacco is going to taste like weed and you're better off keeping those two activities separate.

Get a couple of corncobs. They're inexpsensive but they are really good for smoking. There's a reason they come so highly recommended and it's not just for the low price. They're durable, they don't absorb the flavor of what you smoke so you don't contaminate the next bowl (called "ghosting"), and they come in a wide variety of bowl shapes so you can try different ones and find the perfect fit for what you smoke.

http://corncobpipe.com/smokingpipes.html?dir=asc&order=price
>>
>>1048419
Wew thanks lad, I now have a reason to get corncob pipes
But I wonder if there are any good and cool pipes that are capable of ghosting
Honestly for me the pipe is 60% of the enjoyability of smoking from a pipe
>>
>>1048422
Did you mean to say "incapable"?

Non-porous pipes won't ghost as readily (or at all) as porous ones. So, something stone-like would be a good alternative to a corncob if you don't want to go that route. You could look into a pipe made from morta, which is a fosselized wood, but those are rather expensive. The pipe in your picture might be a good option.

Just make sure to clean the pipe regularly and you won't have to worry so much about ghosting, though I still recommend having separate pipes for different things to smoke.
>>
>>1048426
No? Ghosting (maybe I read it wrong or misunderstood) is it not absorbing the flavor and not contaminating the bowl right? A pipe "capable of ghosting" is a pipe that won't absorb flavor much if at all, like a corn cob pipe

I probably got my wording all fucked but still
>>
>>1048426
But either way sounds good, do you reccomend anything for cleaning a bowl? Or a pipe in general iunno
>>
>>1048427
Ghosting is when a pipe absorbs the flavors of a tobacco to the point where you still taste the tobacco when you smoke something else. It's a lingering odor/taste, like a ghost.

As for cleaning you just need rubbing alcohol and cotton balls (for the bowl) and swabs (q-tips) for the shank and stem.
https://rebornpipes.com/2015/05/28/different-methods-for-removing-a-ghost-from-a-pipe/
This site has some great methods and explains things in detail
>>
>>1048429
Ooh yeah that makes sense
I was thinking of it as like, how ghosts aren't really there ya know, incorporeal or somethin like that
Thanks regardless though, pipe smoking is a lot of fun and I'm glad to have learned new stuff about pipes
>>
>>1048430
No problem. Glad I could be of help
>>
>>1043764
4 noggins
>>
>>1043807
second this. best of all the sites i've ordered from, very helpful customer support, damn cheap shipping
>>
File: IMG_0684.jpg (3MB, 3193x2822px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0684.jpg
3MB, 3193x2822px
The coffee and the whiskey flavoring go beautifully together.

What other stuff goes well with coffee, in your experience?
>>
new to pipes here, started trying with a corn cob pipe and some tobacco out of the litle baggies they sell on the counter at the smoke shop.
All I taste is smoke and ash so I figured I was doing it wrong, so I went back and got some Wild Horse Regular, Captain Black Original, and Prince Albert. So far I've only tried the wild horse and it only tastes mildly better than the cheap stuff out of the cashier counter jar. Am I doing it wrong or buying cheap tobacco or both? I wanted to get a little practice before I break open the Prince Albert or Captain Black...
>>
>>1048351
It was probably too hot because the cheapass corncob pipes are actually complete shit. The cobs are very small, which means the bowls are very thin and prone to burning through after just a few bowls. We had one guy with a cheapshit corncob burnout a little upthread already. They're awful, stay away from them.

For a much better corncob pipe, look at a Missouri Meerschaum Legend. They cost about $7, so it's not too much more money than you spent on your cheapshit pipe, and last for decades.

>>1048350
With Pipe smoking, you don't inhale the smoke. That's what keeps it from wrecking your lungs-the smoke never gets down there to fuck it up in the first place. You hold the smoke in your mouth and then back out it goes, through your mouth or out of your nose for extra flavor perception.
As for the addiction end of it, nicotine is still addictive, but by having the smoke just in your mouth and nose you get far less absorption. The mouth and nose combined have less than 1/2500th the surface area of the lungs, resulting in a much less intense dependency. I can go without smoking a pipe for a week and be fine-no cravings at all. You don't get the heroin-tier withdrawal symptoms and cravings you do with cigarettes.

>>1048395
>practice
>feel
>trial and error
See, that's EXACTLY what I get to bitching about when I start trying the 3-Step.
It's obviously working for you, but there's no reliable way to translate your skill to anyone else. It's a method that can't be taught to anybody. Someone can do everything they're supposed to and still get it wrong.
That makes me think it's a shitty method. Just marketing hype that got repeated over and over until everybody said
>well that's how you're supposed to do it
...and then never did it that way themselves.
>>
>>1048634
update: decided to try the prince albert.

Didn't taste good per se, but I can kind of tell theres a flavor there other than fire
>>
>>1048676
All methods will rely on practice, trial and error, feel, etc. It isn't a science, bro. Pipes come in different sizes and dimensions, tobaccos are different densities and cuts and compositions, etc. No one can give you an exact formula to follow. Sorry if you can't grasp that, but it just doesn't work that way. Probably the best thing you can do is find an experienced pipe smoker and have them show you how to do it. But if you exert some effort and try you will get it right because you can only do it wrong so many times before you correct all your mistakes.
>>
File: IMG_20170629_153521.jpg (797KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170629_153521.jpg
797KB, 3264x1836px
Elf just came in. Gonna smoke some CAO black in it later this evening
>>
non-smoker here, just curious about one thing
are corn cob pipes actually made from corn cobs or is it just wood made to look like that can you make one DIY way?
>>
>>1048812
they are made from corn cob.

http://corncobpipe.com/cobs-pipes.html
>>
>>1048428
I use pipe cleaners and 91% isopropyl alcohol when I want it REALLY clean. Other people use everclear, which works the same way. Tobacco tar is dissolved by the alcohol, absorbed by the pipe cleaner, and then thrown away.

A word about pipe cleaners:
There are pipe cleaners with little nylon bristles in them-they clean out gunk much faster than the all-fluff pipe cleaners, but aren't as good at getting the last little bit of stuff out and can also scratch up the inside of your pipe. Usually two of bristled ones will do the work of 10 or so all-fluff ones, so they're worth keeping around. They usually cost the same as the regular ones, but you'll get a few less in each pack.

>>1048634
Fundamentals time:
Generally you want to put less tobacco into your pipe and smoke it slower than you think you need to.
New pipe smokers tend to cram all the tobacco they can into their pipe then smoke it like a freight train and wonder why they can't taste anything and they can't keep it lit. I know, I did it too.
The best advice I can give you is to just put enough tobacco into the pipe so that it fills the bowl up to the top without pressing on it then light it. You won't win any long-smoking competitions this way, but you will taste the tobacco and won't have any problems with keeping the tobacco lit as long as you do your part and light it all.
Then when you smoke it, wait a while between puffs. For best flavor, you want the pipe to be almost going out just as you take a puff.
>>
>>1048812
Actual corncobs are used for the bowl. The stem is some sort of hardwood.
>>
>>1048841
>New pipe smokers tend to cram all the tobacco they can into their pipe then smoke it like a freight train and wonder why they can't taste anything and they can't keep it lit

heh, exactly what I did

alright, Im gonna try filling my bowl without tamping, be back in a few.

What do I do once I get that down?
>>
>>1048875
Make sure you light ALL of the tobacco on the top.
Smoke slow.
Tamp lightly as needed after a few minutes when you see the smoke thinning out.
Enjoy.
>>
>>1048410
You could buy estate. Often you can find a good pipe cheap because its so beat up and unclean, but that can be fixed.
I would sell you one of mine if I didnt suspect we lived on different continents.
>>
>>1049148
Lmao I was just about to post about how it's a little beat and unclean in the bowl
It came in a few hours ago but wdym buy estate?
And I live in U.S.
>>
File: 20170630_065603.jpg (783KB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170630_065603.jpg
783KB, 2576x1932px
Alrighty so my pipe came in but it was kinda dirty on the inside
I didn't have my rubbing alcohol on hand so I took a rag and rubbed off little flakes of dirt or something, the box it came in was wrecked so I dunno. But, when I rubbed at the bowl a little and looked at the rag I noticed (what I assume to be?) The brownish orange coating (I guess it's copper but I dunno) came off a bit despite me not even scrubbing hard

Did I make a newbie mistake? Is this normal? I'm not really sure :/ maybe I'm just paranoid of this 6 dollar pipe being garbage in disguise lmao
>>
>>1049155
Pic related, it's the pipe bowl
Also, dubs checked
>>
>>1049151
Estate is a pretty word for used.
I would much much rather have a used pipe than that plastic piece from amazon.
>>
>>1049157
Oh, I guess I made a mistake in my purchase then? I thought the pipe looked good but if there are better for potentially cheaper I'm all ears if you know any sites, I don't live near any shops that would sell pipes unfortunately
>>
>>1049159
Look around ebay for an estate briar pipe or buy a corncob, like other Anon said.
Again if I lived in the US it would be easy to just send you one for cheap, but maybe someone else here has a pipe they want to part with..
>>
>>1049159
But hey, im not trying to bash your purchase. Its probably fine for smoking weed out of. But if youre looking to smoke tobacco too, youll probably want to invest in a corncob or briar pipe.
>>
>>1049164
I'll most likely look for a briar seeing as I smoke both
Plus they look nice desu
Or maybe even an estate churchwarden if they exist, they are some of the coolest pipes imo, especially for tobacco
It adds to the... aethstetic? I dunno but you get what I mean lol
>>
>>1049167
For sure. I was close to buying an estate danish churchwarden a few months ago, but I ended up not buying it because I dont have regular access to long pipe cleaners.

Youll quickly fall in live with different shapes when looking at pipes, but honestly, of all my pipes my most used are regular small billards, just because they're light and easy to clench between the teeth while doing something else.
>>
>>1049172
I find smoking to be an occupation of its own
Like how reading is an occupation of its own
I love letting the smoke drift out of my mouth kinda like a reverse waterfall
Till it stings my eyes anyways lmao
>>
>>1049173
Almost read that like a little poem lol.
I get what you mean, though I often find myself reading during my smokes. There's pipes for different occasions definitely.
>>
>>1049151
"Estate"=pipe term for used.
I don't know why. Probably because the relatives sell off the pipes after the pipe smoker dies.

>>1049155
It's normal. You probably just rubbed off the thin oil coating keeping it from tarnishing while on the shelf. You're supposed to do that anyway, so you're still fine.

Lots of cheapshit pipes use metal bowls. That way they can make the pipes out of plastic and it won't catch on fire or release toxic fumes when the plastic burns, because there's a metal bowl keeping the plastic from burning.
Also the metal is non-porous, so it's easy to clean up as you found out.

The downsides are that it's twice as heavy as a wood pipe, when the plastic heats up it will take a LONG time to cool down, and the glue holding the bowl in the plastic will eventually let go from the heat, wrecking the pipe. Plus if any moisture builds up in the bottom (and it will), it'll pool up, gurgle and run down the mouthpiece into your mouth, giving you a sour, rotten smoke flavor.
But they're cheap, I'll give them that.

Good quality new pipes start at $7 for a decent corncob, and then jump up to $30 for a decent briar pipe.

>>1049167
They certainly exist, and buying used pipes off of eBay is the way to go desu.
I can't tell you how many pipes (briar and even meerschaum-a rare kind of stone that is light, absorbent and easy to carve) I've gotten for around $10, many of them still unsmoked. I've gotten the occasional clunker, but the vast majority have been just fine.
>>
>>1048715
I love my Elf, one of my favorite pipes
>>
File: IMG_8062.jpg (2MB, 2310x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8062.jpg
2MB, 2310x2160px
Gotta love it when the fish are biting.
>>
>>1049217
>You probably just rubbed off the oil keeping it from tarnishing.
>You're supposed to do that anyway, so you're still fine.
Wait so should I just take the rag and go ahead and scrub the coating off?
>>
>>1049560
You shouldn't have to "scrub" anything. What I'm saying is there's usually a light film of oil on the metal bowl to keep it from tarnishing before it gets used.
It burns off with the first bowl anyway, but if you wiped out the bowl and lots of stuff came out, most of oil probably went with all of the other junk.
>>
>>1048403
>>1048676
tongue bite wasn't too bad, unless I smoked fast, it was just the cob getting hot, its possible it was thin, or just cheap, I had blamed the dry tobacco since it probably burned hotter, but either way I did like it, I'll probably give it another go with a better pipe and better tobacco another time, thanks to you both for the advice
>>
>>1049711
Glad you liked it. You're going to have fun exploring all the different flavors of tobacco that are out there.
>>
>>1043709
>session
My nigga.
>>
>>1049155

I've smoked a pipe like that before...

It was OK, but I found it to burn a bit warm, and it moved through the flavor profile of the tobacco more quickly (meaning that the nice taste at the start quickly turned to the bottom of the bowl meh super fast)
>>
>>1048844
Traditionally the stems for corncob pipes were pine (specifically loblolly or long-leaf), but today can be found with pretty much any form of wood ranging from bamboo to the traditional pine to exotic hardwoods like teak.
>>
My best friend made me a pipe years ago, hand carved and stained, with a .308 casing for the stem with a mouth piece attached. Best pipe I've ever found, smoke stayed nice and cool, there was no crap flowing through the stem because of the height of the primer pocket, and it was extremely easy to clean. I'm very sad it finally broke, the casing separated from the stem.
>>
back from bender since last Thursday.

no luck with the ladies(not that i try), did manage to score myself a twisted/fucked up foot and 2 panasonic DVD-R cameras with all the trim, batteries, remotes, chargers, 5 extra discs and new in box batteries.

could be fun recreating some nineties /out/ feel footage with em. now that ive been unlucky in fixing my Hitachi VHS camcorder and the super8 is just too expensive ... and shit

about to enjoy a soothing smoke with my pounding foot and embarrassing memories slowly returning.
>>
File: 20170702_023237.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_023237.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1050060
Ending the last beer with a smoke of the churchwarden.
>>
File: IMG_0365.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0365.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1043709
Great beer choice sir.

Don't ask what I'm eating. I'm a health nut(strange I know).
>>
>>1050290
ah, a healthy glass of pond water.
bread looks dope though
>>
How would one go about sanitizing a pipe?
Some mud daubers found one and filled it full of paralyzed spiders and mud. Learned my lesson here, at the least.
>>
>>1050414
>mud daubers
wait wait hold up. fucking wasps moved into your pipe?
>>
>>1050414
berry it, anon. don't even try to burn it or clean it or throw it away, just berry it, forget about it, and move on with your life.
>>
cig smoking fag here. thought trying this out.

what would you recommend to a beginner - pipe+baccy to see if id enjoy it?

generally dont mind flavorful tobbacco but kind of a bitch when it comes to nicotine
>>
>>1050423
do you have a tobacconist in your area? are you planning on buy online?
>>
>>1050414
pics?
>>
>>1050423
Corn cob and Frog Morton's Cellar
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mcclelland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=107867
Same site offers inexpensive Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes (in some cases they're cheaper than getting them from the source.)
>>
>>1050414
Same as I would normally clean my pipe: 91% Isopropyl alcohol and pipe cleaners.
The alcohol will murder those fucks and the pipe cleaners will dislodge all their nests and shit.
>>
>>1050423
Combo recommended in the OP:
Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob, pipe cleaners, and either Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Half and Half. It's all readily available for small money at your local drugstore. The pipe smokes great and will last you for years. It's the best deal going in pipe smoking.

If you're used to cigs, it'll also give you a nice familiar taste when you do it right.

>protip: to do it right, just fill the pipe loosely, don't cram tobacco in there.
>protip 2: smoke slow and don't inhale

For a big nic hit and huge flavor, try Dunhill's Royal Yacht. It isn't cheap, but it tastes great, and scratches the itch. Most Dunhill stuff is a level above what you can find at your average grocery/drug store.
>>
>>1050423
Just realized you said you DIDN'T want a nicotine bomb.
In that case, the more inexpensive blends are still all recommended, but for a premium blend try something like Three Nuns. It's got a rich flavor that doesn't get harsh and won't leave you woozy at the end of a bowl.
>>
how many bowls do you all smoke per day? can i get a bowl survey?

i'm smoking 1 per day, and that feels pretty comfy. i do really enjoy the nicotine effect, but just sitting and smoking the pipe is almost a form of meditation.
>>
>>1050821
between one and three depending on how much time i have to spare on it. i don't smoke in public, just at home when i'm alone. and yeah, it's very calming and meditative
>>
>>1050821
I smoke between 3 and 6. Been meaning to cut down as it's starting to irritate my sinuses and I dont want to make a habit of it.
It's weird because I dont feel addicted by the nic and I can go without smoking for a couple of days if I run out of tobacco, but when I do have some, I just wanna smoke all the time.
>>
>>1050821
1-2 every couple of days here. Agree with you on the meditative aspect of it. That's some my favorite time.
>>
>>1050821
3-4 a day Monday through Friday. 5+ on Saturday/Sunday. Sometimes I take a break.
>>
>>1050821
1 every 4-6 weeks.
>>
NEW THREAD UP

>>1050915
>>1050915
>>1050915
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.