[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Desert /out/ings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: elephant rock.jpg (51KB, 550x392px) Image search: [Google]
elephant rock.jpg
51KB, 550x392px
Hey /out/, any tips for someone who wants to do something outdoors, but lives in Las Vegas, where it's 115 during the days? Tips for not dying of heat stroke? Specific gear I should probably get? Thanks in advance for anything. Pic is of a rock in Red Rock Park that I visited this spring when it wasn't awful
>>
Just flew into Las Vegas a few days ago; I'm doing conservation work in Mt. Zion. It's so hot here, it's absolutely unreal. I'm from southeastern US so I'm used to humid heat but this is something else entirely.
>>
>>1042455
and to answer your question, I wouldn't voluntarily go out in this right now. Apparently the heat wave is passing soon so maybe wait until it's only like 100. Las Vegas is close to Hurricane/St. George, which has some of the best climbing/mountain biking/hiking in the world, so that's always an option.
>>
>>1042408
Go up
Get off the desert floor and get into the mountains
It won't be as hot up there
Drive through Death Valley into Owens valley and climb the Eastern Sierra
>>
>>1042408
I was at Lake Mead while it was 117° the other day pussy, go out. Go hike Frenchman's mountain or if its too hot for you go to Mount Charleston.
>>
>>1043532
>I went to the lake when it was hot
OH WOW BIG MAN OVER HERE
>>
Go out in the mornings and evenings.
Drink lots of water.
Dress appropriately.
>>
File: 20170611_115526_Pano-1.jpg (1MB, 2574x1942px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_115526_Pano-1.jpg
1MB, 2574x1942px
YOU LIVE WITHIN A COUPLE HOURS OF A SHIT LOAD OF BEAUTIFUL PLACES YOU FUCK
GET A MAP AND DRIVE
FUCK
>>
Water, salt, a way to make shade, a big ass hat, longsleeve cotton shirt and pants.

If you're doing anything more physically demanding than just hiking, you're going to need a liter of water per hour in extreme heat, maybe even more since you're not acclimated to this kind of heat. You'll also need to rest in shade 15 mins of every hour or longer if you need it. A small umbrella is good to have for shade anywhere, since in the desert trees can be pretty scarce.

Where the dry heat works in your favor will be in staying cooler by wetting down your shirt or bandana if you can spare the water. In an emergency you can use your piss or any water you wouldn't want drink to stay cool, smelly, but cool.

Plan your route by water availability, always carry a bit more than you think you'll need in case one of the water stops is dry. Also make an effort to breathe only through your nose, you'll lose less water that way. Take salt so you don't cramp up.

Phoenix, out.
>>
>>1042408

I live in Vegas, by Ikea. Hot as fuck out this week. Going to Laughlin and drink a case of beer at Davis Camp Park on my weekend.
>>
Elephant rock is in valley of fire not red rock
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.