[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idea for unlimited food while on trail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: homemade-fly-trap-bottle.jpg (466KB, 700x995px) Image search: [Google]
homemade-fly-trap-bottle.jpg
466KB, 700x995px
I'm not really a hunter, and it seems like each terrain has its different animals, trapping techniques, and even amount of animals to hunt. But every environment has bugs.

So what if you took a solar panel + battery pack + LED light + Bug Trap similar to pic related. Set it up at night, and bam. In the morning you have a jar of bugs ready to eat. So theoretically if you got stranded, and weren't familiar with the plants or wildlife, you could just subsist on this.

Also ideas on bug traps. I'm sure this isn't the best type to make
>>
File: gnat trap.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gnat trap.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>1042329
You can do the same thing using water, yeast, and some sugar. The yeast will ferment the mixture and various things will come to it, not just gnats (amazing for ridding your house of gnats/flies; webm). You may want to insert a screen just above the water level to prevent the large insects from drowning in the water.

Entomologists normally use pitfall traps, which is just a container buried in the ground so that insects walk into it and can't get out again. Sometimes they are baited. This is good for larger spiders, ground beetles, wood roaches, crickets, and even sometimes amphibians and reptiles. A container with curved shoulders will help. I use similar traps baited with the above mixture to capture and kill slugs in my gardens.

Fair warning, yes, you can eat slugs/snails, but that can be very dangerous for numerous reasons:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/edible-insects-zebz1305znsp

Not only do you need to cook them no matter what, but forcing them to eat something safe so they dump all the previous food from their digestive tract is also a must. Most people use carrots. When the slug/snail starts pooping orange, it means the digestive tract is clear then you can cook and eat them. Or, in the wild, cut them open and remove the digestive tract before eating.

Beetles are your best bet for big quick protein. Your night light is the best method of getting them. If the container is painted black everywhere but the funnel it will help guide the insects to the funnel trap. This is also a great away to help rid your house of winter-hibernating stuff like stink bugs and Asiatic lady beetles.
>>
>>1042343
Thanks, I'm going to try it sometime this week. My only worry is it won't be in sufficient quantity. Even with multiple jars set up.
>>
>>1042354
A good trapper has tons of traps setup in tons of places. Most of the day is spent walking between trap sites setting and checking traps.
>>
>>1042329
Or instead of all of that stuff you could bring a .22 rifle and 200 rounds of ammo in a little baggy and not have to eat bugs and look like a hipster while eating bugs because you brought a fuckin solar panel in order to eat bugs, lmao
>>
>>1042356
Why not bring both? Then you'd always have a meal no matter what happens.
>>
>>1042355
Thats great for small animals. But bugs are everywhere, and I'm trying to find a way around setting up tons of traps. That takes energy.
>>1042356
Have fun waiting and watching 10 hours a day for a deer to show up. I'll just hang out and let my trap work for me.
>>
>>1042360
>But bugs are everywhere, and I'm trying to find a way around setting up tons of traps.

You still need to have a large area covered. Like in the woods, in a meadow, and near a water way. Insects can be very seasonal too. You may get many more in one location than another due to emergences.

Also, I think >>1042356 was meaning small game, not large game. I've killed deer with .22lr, but it really is too risky to rely on and illegal in most places due to being a rimfire.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.