[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /out/'s opinion on rooftop tents?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

File: mt-theilson.jpg (82KB, 744x739px) Image search: [Google]
mt-theilson.jpg
82KB, 744x739px
What is /out/'s opinion on rooftop tents?
>>
>you have to be someplace a car can get to to use them
>pain in the ass to go pee at night
>fuck up gas milage
standard overpriced, impractical fad that's going to go away in a few years
>>
>>1042311
Good for festival camping. Bad for being drunk.

>>1042315
Piss bottles will help most of that, though proper diet and eating/drinking times can curb the need for bathroom use at night.
>>
>>1042311
Pointless meme garbage
>sees license plate
Checks out
>>
great for africa, not so great for north america
>>
>>1042311
I guess, if I was car camping, and the only flat spot was where I parked the car, then maybe it would be useful
Seems unlikely, and not economical, as stated in the first reply
>>
>>1042376
>>1042315
If I wanted to do that. I'd just strap a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" thick plywood on top and pitch the tent there. A 1-person tent would fit easily and most 2-person tents would fit if you squeezed them in on their narrow side. Best part is, it'd only cost like $30-$35 for the plywood, some bungees, and 2 ratchet straps.
>>
>>1042361
>piss bottles
fuck that noise. one of my favorite things in the world is stepping out at 1 am and staring up at the stars while i pee. plus i don't have to worry about missing or leaking.
>>
File: IMG_20170420_154752712-1503x2672.jpg (591KB, 1503x2672px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170420_154752712-1503x2672.jpg
591KB, 1503x2672px
>>1042315
>Fuck up gas mileage.

People usually take the tent down before driving. Lol doing 70mph down the highway with a tent on the top of your car
>>
>>1042409
They are a life saver for festival camping.
>>
>>1042650
Not only that, but if you did do that, the impact on your gas mileage would be extremely negligible.
>>
Absolute autism for car campers/festival noncampers.

If you feel the need to invest in a rooftop tent, you're too far gone
>>
>>1042743
>too far gone

From what? There's nothing wrong with car camping, festival camping, or hiking 15 miles to a base camp.
>>
>>1042653
It would tear off the tent before it had a chance to affect gas mileage
>>
>>1042773
Of course.
>>
>>1042653
Simply adding the roof platform will cost you 1-2MPG through the added weight and wind resistance. Hell just adding crossbars on factory roof rails costs half a mile per gallon.

If it's something you take completely off between trips or if the car isn't your daily driver, not a big deal. However, if you're like most Americans and drive 15,000 miles a year and it's your daily driver that shit can add up real fast.
>>
Great for overlanding since you can camp anywhere you can park including the middle of a city .
Good luck pitching a tent on aspbalt.
>>
>>1042891
You are smoking crack, sir.
>>
File: Capture.png (81KB, 841x758px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
81KB, 841x758px
>>1042948
Pic related.

It's well documented and scientifically tested.
>>
>>1042948
And another.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/07/tests-show-bike-racks-can-ruin-your-mileage/index.htm

Keep in mind these weigh a scant fraction of a full rooftop tent setup (even with the tent itself removed) and block a scant fraction of the airflow, so they will have substantially less effect
>>
>>1042311
It's a meme to sell to rich boomers who think driving 2 hours to a paid campground is an "expedition" and requires a vehicle capable of RTW travel. They were originally expensive as hell, made of canvas, and intended for African/other shithole trips. Now any poorfag can get a chinese one to look the part and keep his nagging wife quiet for a few extra hours a night.
>>
>>1042891
Wed drive 8 mpg trucks and SUVS every day. You think anyone is going to care about that shit? Fuck off Europe. Nobody wants the opinion of a guy who drives a 4 cylinder diesel.
>>
>>1042911
They make freestanding tents
>>
>>1043063
Have fun being a fuel cuck
>>
>>1043069
>Drives a souless diesel 4banger to save fuel
>calls other people a fuelcuck
>>
>>1042952
You do not understand aerodynamics
>>
>>1042311
> Be offroading in Australia
> Can't camp on the ground or the wildlife will kill me in my sleep
> Can't sleep in the truck because it's too hot
> Camping on top of the truck is the only option
They are ideal for Australian conditions. Elsewhere probably not so much.
>>
>>1042311
Fucking normie, I dig a hole and sleep undergound.
>>
>>1043063
>I was proven wrong with a primary source
>welp better say it doesn't matter and provide a highly exaggerated hypothetical, then insult them
Thanks for reminding me this is 4chan.
>>
>>1043080
Nigger I literally provided multiple scientific, peer-reviewed studies from trusted institutions saying you're fucking wrong.
>>
>>1042311
Can skinwalkers climb that high? This is the important question.
>>
>>1043604
Not a chance, you can even leave the ladder down overnight and not have to stress about anything silently climbing it.
>>
>>1043604
W...they cannot climb. There is nothing to worry about, anon
>>
>>1043633
>>1043652
Can confirm; not skinwalker.
>>
>>1044029
Don't worry abo̥̣̹͓u̳͎̣t̙̜̣̮̫͚̪ ̡̞̹i̥̮̝̜̹̟̝͟t.͉̯̳
̵͓͍̬̟̝̱̬
>>
>>1043592
>>1043591
>42 MPG down to 40 MPG
>down to 40 MPG
>40 MPG.
That is tremendously high as fuck. Also a 5% weight drag. Not that significant since the only offroad vehicles I've seen get over 25MPG are engine swapped lumbers.

OP's picture is a 4runner. Anyone who is not richfag and genuinely considering a RoofTop tent for their vehicle proabably has something similar to OP's picture. Let's say a 3rd generation 4runner.

That thing gets 17MPG on the highway when stock. Add in a lift kit with 3 more inches of clearance and lower gears and you're looking at 14/15 highway MPGs for normal older gen, legitimate offroaders. Roof top tent deduction of 5% would be just another peg down amongs multiple things. And if that's the case, drive slower on the highway.

Here's the main question. Who the fuck dailies their offroad vehicle?
>>
File: 1497245851858.jpg (64KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1497245851858.jpg
64KB, 600x600px
>>1043633
>>1043652
>>1044029
>>1044053

For sure samefag
>>
>>1044621
And in what way does that invalidate the claims made here >>1043080
and here>>1042948
and here >>1042653
that it would either have ZERO effect or "extremely negligible" effect.

Losing 1-2 MPG when your vehicle is already only getting 15-17 MPG is a fuckload higher than "negligible".
>>
>>1043604

I wouldn't worry about it man
>>
>>1042311

All the comfort and amenities of a tent, married to the natural wonder of a cheap motel room. And the guy who sets that up at the campground, you know he doesn't care what anybody else thinks. He's a real free spirit.
>>
>>1042311
They're insanely expensive new. If you can find one for a good price, I'd say get though. I have one for my 98 Land Rover, and I love it. The guy I got the Rover from gave it to me.
>>
>>1044701
>Losing 1-2 MPG when your vehicle is already only getting 15-17 MPG is a fuckload higher than "negligible".

I'm a different guy, but I would absolutely call 2 MPG negligible.
>>
>>1044701
That wasn't me, anon. I'm also sorry he was that rude and dismissive to your point.

In any way, if you have a large jeep or suburban or land cruiser (like me), you're not worried about gas whatsoever. Gunning it at 130km/h gets me like 12MPG and I can increase it to 13.5MPG by cruising at 100km/h or 14 at 80km/h. This is after my lift kit and carrying random shit on my roof rack like fuel, water cans and large, square boxes and water coolers.

These vehicles already have such god damn large amounts of drag, it won't matter too much
>>
>>1042773
They fold/disassemble like a regular tent, you fucking retard.
>>
>>1042311
Had not seen this before. Why the roof, why not just beside the car somewhere? Raising the tent on top of the car looks awfully complex.
>>
>>1045663
To get away from critters, namely bears.
>>
File: back.jpg (1MB, 1944x2644px) Image search: [Google]
back.jpg
1MB, 1944x2644px
My Flippac is different than a roof rack style tent, but it's great
-sets up in 30 seconds
-all gear/food etc. already organized
-heater set up ready to use in seconds
-can stand up to get dressed, cook, eat, etc.
-works as normal camper shell when folded
-no effect on mileage
>>
>>1045667
Bears can climb trees. What stops them from climbing on top of a car that is at most 2 meters tall?
>>
>>1045684
Anon, I somehow like your setup.

Beats taking the once-a-week bus and helicopter and whatnot.
>>
>>1045740
Cars are an unnatural part of their environment and despite what people think, bears tend to be skittish and wouldn't just climb up weird shit without good reason? They're far more likely to roll around onto a tent on the ground than they are to actively climb up a vehicle to do the same.
>>
>>1045769
How is a car different from a big trash container if you are a bear? Bears do rummage through trash cans, too.

Normal bears probably avoid the car, hungry bears probably won't.
>>
>>1042315
how can you not just piss out the door ?
>>
>>1046123
or innabottle, or onnagf
>>
>>1044751
Hopefully you're still in school then, because if you passed any math or science class past 8th grade with an understanding like that your teachers should be fired.
>>
>>1046143
I think that was the F-35 fallacy of the "it too big to fail" or the "if we're going that far, we might as well go further". If anyone really cared about gas mileage when they're doing anything under 15 MPG, they would be actively searching for engines to swap like I am right now. Otherwise, they literally have money to burn.

>>1045663
Overlanding for more than 5 days would require me to carry a shitload of tools and other stuff in the bed of my vehicle. Cross Canada trek would require me to carry a complete rebuild kit of both my axles, maybe my centre differential, and a few loose parts and go with someone else who is doing the same.

It's much better to sleep on the roof so you don't have to unpack all your shit during the night to sleep. Especially if you've been driving / atving / hiking all day and you just want a 5 minute setup and get to sleep.

>>1045663
Most of the time it is pull two strings and five levers and the thing is pitched. Then you go in and screw / adjust the supports.
>>
>>1042891
I hate those faggots with their daily driver "overland" vehicles. They've always got a roof tent permanently attached, huge tires, fuel cans, axe, shovel, brush guards, winch, jack, and huge stickers all over. Everything is always clean and looks completely virgin, like the thing has never actually been off road.

I have gear that I load up when I am using my truck as a base for camping, but I take it off when I'm not actually camping.
>>
>>1043219

Lol fuck off

Sneks and spiders won't get in ya tent, if you're afraid of crocs then don't camp near water
>>
>>1046327

>Carrying two spare axels and a diff

Lol how's your suspension
>>
>>1047156
Well arent you superior
>>
>>1042911
>camping in a tent in the middle of the city
sorry but i like being alive and unrobbed
>>
>>1042311
I could see myself potentially using it in heavy snake country, but honestly if I'm looking to get myself off the ground I think I'd rather just have the simplicity of a hammock instead
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.