[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 40

File: IMG_20170620_122314_01.png (311KB, 450x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170620_122314_01.png
311KB, 450x800px
Questions that don't deserve a thread of their own. I didn't see one up.

Names ideas for this cutie? Female, GSP. Going to be a hiking companion.
>>
>>1042087
If dubs you name her Irma Grese II
>>
>>1042087
PUPPY MCPUPFACE XDDDDDD
>>
>>1042087
Mora
>>
>>1042118
>>
>>1042118
Winrar so far, I asked the wife.

She won't let me name her Ducky.
>>
Waifu
>>
I want to call my first female doggo Maiev.
>>
Bethany [chop chop]
>>
Luci. (Short for Lucifer)
>>
>>1042151
Based black temple
>>1042118
Best answer, but only call her Mora for short, her full name should be Mora + Your favourite knife model. E.g. Mora 711
>>
Buttercup
>>
>>1042087
Hey! I have a GSP! Mine is a horrible hiking companion because we adopted her a few months ago and we are still working on her staying near us as well as leash skills. But they are awesome dogs!

Name her something based on her personality.
>>
>>1042087
See >>1042118
Also, what is a good way to train for hiking? I mean like building endurance and such through exercise or whatever. Any answers would be appreciated
>>
>>1042440
Honestly, probably by doing short hikes.

I started hiking when I was like 10 or so in scouts, and we were just kids, but we all managed a 40km hike over 2 days. Unless you are obese or something, the human body has unreal endurance.

I mean you could walk around your neighbourhood with a pack on, but carrying weight is not the main challenge in hiking, at least in my opinion. It is getting to the threshhold of your energy reserves and realising that your body is just bitching out, and you still have another 4 hours of walking in you.
>>
hey im from brisbane and was planning to spend a week sleeping rough either on the coast and the forest or inland to the outback
i havent decided but if you guys have a prefference let me know
>>
>>1042440
The best training is >>1042445

But you can also get better through
1. Lifting weights
2. Aerobic exercise

If you are just fit in general, hiking is pretty easy.
>>
>>1042440
Op here.

I currently have a hiking companion. Mora is going to keep her company while I'm at work. Two dogs that can play with each other will help them gain endurance, even when you aren't around.

My current dog, Scout, needs lots of exercise. She has a lot of natural athleticism, but I take her out once a weekend. If we can't hike, I'll take her to a pond and have her swim. Swimming is great exercise for dogs.

Encouragement is important too.
>>
The old /an/ meme is "Biscuit"
>>
>>1042087

Magnus Swoleson

If dubs, its name shall be "Bodyslam"
>>
If dubs you name her tickles
>>
Any tips for scouting out good campsites in alpine (nat'l) forests?
>>
>>1043751
A map with campsites
>>
>>1043751
Your state, wherever you're from, probably has GIS maps online. Some states include hiking trails and shelters on those maps. It's worth checking.
>>
Barbara
check em
>>
I hiked AT back in 2015 and every day I wore jeans and a tshirt.

Why is cotton bad?
Wool isnt comfortable. I dont care if it's heavy when it's wet.
>>
>>1043994
Either you weren't thru hiking or you are full of shit.

Cotton is heavy as shit when wet and takes forever to dry. When wet it does nothing in insulate. Even dry it does a pretty poor job. Cotton socks will get wet and stay that way until your feet will blister. You'd have to be a masochist to choose cotton over polyester or other fabrics which are the same price.

Obviously you can make it work but that doesn't make it a good idea. Wearing cotton is the equivalent of using an external frame pack from the 60's to thru hike. There's better gear for the same price, so you're willingly handicapping yourself.
>>
>>1042440
Just go on hikes. How long hikes do you mean? A three or four hour hike on a weekend would be a good start.
>>
>>1044024
I didnt use a pack, I used a tarp.
>>
>>1044027
And technically I cheated, I started at Blood Mt, and I skipped a decent portion of NH.
>>
>>1044026
I want to build endurance for longer thru-hikes. I live in the Ozarks, so I have 3 well-known hikes around me: Ozark Highlands Trail, Ozark Trail, and Ouachita Forest Trail. I want to do the OHT by the time I leave college, and if I want to be ready for it, I need to get moving in terms of training and acclimation
>>
>>1044033
People do the AT and PCT will no prior training. As long as you can mentally push yourself to get up in the morning, I think OHT should be doable today.
>>
File: evening-light.jpg (537KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
evening-light.jpg
537KB, 2000x1500px
Am looking for a price check. I have a Golite Shangi La 3 to sell. It would come with the original mesh inner, a custom oooknest inner, pegs and a pole.

I've also a Trekkertent Stealth to sell, which would come with a bug net inner and well as a bathtub. No pegs or poles though.

Pic related, the golite with the oooknest inner.
>>
File: 3.jpg (2MB, 1456x819px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2MB, 1456x819px
>>1044061
This is the Stealth pitched with the just the bath tub floor.
>>
File: ttstealth.jpg (809KB, 1040x585px) Image search: [Google]
ttstealth.jpg
809KB, 1040x585px
>>1044063
Both items are in the UK.
>>
i have very long hair. i dont want to wash it or comb it while im /out/. none of the hairstyles i put it in seem to hold very long, does anyone have any tips for this kind of thing? is there a particular hairstyle thats good for like, up to a week /out/?
thanks, much love
>>
>>1044082
Shave your head.
>>
>>1044082
Dreadlocks.

But I always buzzcut when I'm going out.
>>
>>1044085
no!
>>1044087
i've thought about this, but i feel like i'd look like a real asshole with dreads.
>>
>>1044090
Unfortunately, dreadlocks are the only option if you want to keep it long. They're common on hikers though, specifically for their zero maintenance. Stop caring what other people think and use what works for you.

Bunns are a massive pain in the ass, especially for male hair, and ponytails are obtrusive.
>>
>>1044090
>no!
Why not? It's most low maintenance hair doo and if you don't like it it'll grow back. Stop being so attached to your locks you sissy.
>>
>>1044061
The Go Lite is up on gumtree now for £350.
>>
>>1044082
a bun takes like 2 seconds
>>
>>1044221
only if you're good at it
>>
>>1044082
Whats wrong with the standard ponytail?
>>
>>1044082
If you don't want dreadlocks you could try corn rows. Get them done by a professional and they will stay in for months.
>>
>>1044260
gets caught on stuff and doesnt fit well with some packs
>>
Are bear bells effective or do they just instill a false sense of confidence?
>>
I've got the normal rucksack that the army used to issue, the ACU digital thing if you know what I'm talking about.

I want to take that thing from camo to just OD green or black, what's the easiest way to paint that Cordura stuff and have it stay painted? Even when wet or scraped?
>>
>>1044395
Dye it black.
>>
why is this board so slow
>>
>>1044642
Because it's summer and you should be /out/ at the weekend not refreshing a doodle board.
>>
>>1044642
I just finished working in the forest desu
>>
Why do burgers get a god-tier nature if they're too fat to even enjoy it ? Not fair desu
>>
>>1044697
You dont see the nonfat ones.
>>1044687
It's my kid's birthday this weekend and he wanted a bounce house so he's getting a bounce house.
>>
File: yotsuba_recommends_by_pardner.jpg (119KB, 781x382px) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba_recommends_by_pardner.jpg
119KB, 781x382px
>>1044722
>It's my kid's birthday this weekend and he wanted a bounce house so he's getting a bounce house.
>>
>>1044637
How would you dye it? Just soak the thing? Google isn't turning up too much info, can you give me a name or some description of the technique?
>>
>>1044755
afaik, which isn't very far, you'd just soak it. Black dye is pretty brutal so should work. You might want to research the best type of dye for the material your back pack is made of though.
>>
>>1042156
legit my female boxers name
>>
I heard that eating garlic help repelling bugs, does anybody have experience with it?
>>
>>1044871
I have noticed no difference on trips when I cook with a significant amount of garlic and those when I don't.
>>
>>1044871
your best bet with bugs is wear a head net and keep legs or arms exposed. Just get them to bite some where that isn't as annoying as your face.
>>
I usually dig a trench if there's any case of rain, not deep, only about 2-4in depending on ground and expected rain. It's saved so much hassle, especially in light floods.

Then fire. People say to just use a stove, but I dont like the weight, and fire gives light and warmth a stove cant. And most importantly it's something to do. I dig fire pits into the ground, too (obviously unless there's already one there). Never large fires, but big enough to comfortably cook over.

Leave No Trace is great, but campsites arent everywhere, nor is it always prudent to camp directly off the trail. Is this really so bad?
>>
>>1042087
>Female, GSP
lol good luck dude

I have a female GSP and she is the most stubborn bitch I've seen. I think she's definitely on the extreme end of the spectrum, but I find the males are a lot easier.

Great dogs though, but I hope you like exercising and working them, otherwise they can get squirrelly and destructive.
>>
>>1042437
>Hey! I have a GSP! Mine is a horrible hiking companion because we adopted her a few months ago and we are still working on her staying near us as well as leash skills. But they are awesome dogs!
I've never met a GSP with good leash skills. I've been working on mine for 5 years and it's still not at the point I'd like it to be.

They are known for working on long leads too, vs. Viszlas. I've learned to accept it but mine has a good recall (I trained with a whistle and cheese). Recall is essential for this breed.
>>
>>1044873
Maybe cooking garlic neutralizes the smell, thus making eating it moot?

>significant amount
How much and how often? I was planning on eating 3 raw cloves a day if it was be proven to help.
>>
>>1044911
What about getting some sort of bowl to make fires in? Should be lighter than a stove and easier to carry, too.
>>
File: th (4).jpg (15KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
th (4).jpg
15KB, 300x225px
So last week my gf randomly ordered me a bootleg solo-stove off Amazon. It arrived and is very nicely made, it's a little bigger than an actual solo stove and made from slightly thicker metal. Has an alcohol cup too.

Is it just a meme? I haven't tried it yet but I feel like there's no use for the thing. I can just cook over a normal fire.
>>
>>1044926
well firstly you've gotta be pretty insane to be eating 3 entire cloves of garlic all by yourself
second, university of florida says it wouldnt work regardless. http://mosquito.ifas.ufl.edu/Mosquito_Repellents.htm
>>1044929
a bowl seems like a waste of weight when I'm already going to carry an etool.
>>1044936
try cooking over normal fire in a storm, especially if you're in a tent or under a tarp. Stoves dont produce embers so there's far less risk of fire with proper use (pls dont cook under cover unless necessary though).

Blah blah same story anyone says with a stove. All that matters is that for a little extra weight, you can basically ignore whatever complications nature presents you. A stove is guaranteed heat source and you should carry one when you expect extreme conditions like frost, snow, or heavy rain.
>>
>>1044954
>well firstly you've gotta be pretty insane to be eating 3 entire cloves of garlic all by yourself
By clove I mean those small chunks of garlic, not entire bulbs.

second, university of florida says it wouldnt work regardless. http://mosquito.ifas.ufl.edu/Mosquito_Repellents.htm
Apparently works with ticks and I care about that the most, mosquitoes are bigger and are easily repelled with DEET sprays and creams
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/08/27/garlic-tick-repellent.aspx
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/702772

>a bowl seems like a waste of weight when I'm already going to carry an etool.
Yeah, and cook plant roots all around the fireplace.
>>
>>1044990
Ticks can be easily avoided and you're going to need to check for them regardless.
As for cooking plant roots, what?
>>
>>1045000
>Ticks can be easily avoided and you're going to need to check for them regardless.
The lesser chance those fuckers get to bite me, the better.

>As for cooking plant roots, what?
You're heating the ground with a fire and you may leave a fire mark.
>>
>>1045004
>fire mark
Ah, right.
Yeah there's a bit of a ring and proof of digging when you fill it back in. I have the skill to build a fire off the ground, but it's either far more work or involves lugging extra gear. You might be overestimating the size of the pit, I've never made a pit more than 3/4 of a ft in diameter. Barring a few times when I made a proper stone pit on sites that didn't already have them.
>>
>>1042087
Blanket.
>>
Hi /out/
never posted here before and I think this is the place to ask
I just found a tick and removed a tick on my leg that's either been there for 6 days or one day, since those were the two days I was walking around in the brush/long grass. I'm mortified there might be more on me, I've checked my entire body below my shoulders pretty well, but I have shoulder length hair that makes it nearly impossible to check my head, is there a way to tell? The one on my leg didn't look very big, most things i've read say that they stay for a week and get to the size of a grape(!) so it might have been recent. Is there anything I can do if there is one on my scalp? a long shower? hot? cold? I'm planning on going to my doc tomorrow just to make sure I didn't catch anything, or is that an overreaction? Sorry, /out/, ticks really freak me out
>>
>>1046022
Feel your scaalp with your fingers, investigate anything that it abnormal (bumps).

If you want to get serious, get a nit comb. Even more serious, they make lotions for lice with benzyl alcohol which will also kill any ticks.

Welcome to New England
>>
>>1046029
Thanks man I appreciate the help,
I actually live in North Dakota though.
>>
File: ladybird.jpg (14KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
ladybird.jpg
14KB, 320x240px
>>1042087
ladybird
>>
>>1046022
if it was small it's from yesterday. 6 days would at least be the size of a fat raisin.
>>
>>1046030
No problem, anyone killing ticks is doing gods work. I will also suggest treating some clothing with permethrin for hikes or whatever /out/ activities you do. Kill ticks on contact and lasts through multiple washes.
>>
Can ticks actually bite on the skin on your head? I've never had any on my head.
Anyway, my whole family has taken the vaccine for whatever that disease is called they transmit.

Also, lately I've been removing them by putting a bit of aftershave on my finger and then doing the same circular motion you're supposed to do to remove a tick and the alcohol makes them let go faster.
>>
>>1042087
Sc/out/
>>
>>1046074
There is no vaccine for lyme, rocky mountain spotted fever, or powassan. Who ever told you there was lied to you.

Ticks can bite anywhere on he skin, but prefer warm, hidden places. This includes behind the ears and in the hairline. They are only less common there because they are typically picked up closer to the ground. To remove ticks you are not supposed to do any circular motion, just pull straight out with tweezers, griping as close to the skin as possible.
>>
>>1046242
My mother did get Lyme disease from a tick years ago and no, that's not what we got the shots for. I'm not sure why they'd lie about it at the hospital.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick-borne_encephalitis

That's the technique that has always worked for me, it's easier to leave the head in if you try and get it out with tweezers.
>>
File: IMG_20170607_104151_01.jpg (720KB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170607_104151_01.jpg
720KB, 2080x1560px
>>1046138
Scout is the name of my current doggo. The GSP will be her friend.

Pic related is Scout. She's a great hiking companion.
>>
>>1046271
cute dogoo
>>
FAGGOTS EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU
>>
posted in /dbt/ with no result

I'm planing an impromtue midnight hillwalk tonight
http://www.munromap.co.uk/

pick me a Munro, no islands and the more southerly the more likely I am to go with it but if you make a good case I will go anywhere.
>>
Did anybody try out Eucalyptus oil as tick repellent? One guy in youtube comments recommended Vicks VapoRub because it releases vapors for 8 hours when oils Eucalyptus and other plants are supposed to repel bugs.
It's pretty damn cheap in my country, considering it may last for a while.
>>
File: 124565464.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
124565464.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Can anyone tell me where do i attach the sleeping bag and tent? Or do i need to get something else? Im totally new to /out/ . Would really appreciate help.
>>
File: IMG_1908.jpg (166KB, 1024x760px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1908.jpg
166KB, 1024x760px
Sauce on this knife? EDC thread expired before I could ask
>>
>>1046242
wrong

There used to be a lyme vaccine, they stopped making it because it was unprofitable; a media crusade led people to believe it caused autoimmune problems, despite zero evidence supporting the claim.
>>
>>1047618
This is a day-pack. Unless you have some seriously ultalight sleeping bag and tent you will need a bigger pack if you want to backpack. This is fine for if you are going car camping and maybe hiking a trail and want to bring food
>>
>>1048208
That's fine size for an overnight.
>>1047618
Tie them up off some of the straps on the back.
I'd recommend a tarp, not a tent.
Dont do a weekend with that bag. Too small.
>>
How do I get started in going /out/? I basically have a .22 long rifle I got from a grandfather, a hammock, and a pocket knife. I really want to get out and enjoy the woods around my area.
>>
I'm going visit my girlfriend in Houston this weekend and We're looking to go /out/ for a night or two this weekend.

What's the closest forest / wma to Houston that's actually worth going to? Not looking for RV spots and cement sidewalk type shit.
pls respon
>>
Is it realistic to sleep in a hammock maybe 8 feet in the air? Assuming I bring tree climbing gear to get up there.
>>
>>1048225
If you trust your straps and ability to not fall out that much, why would you want to be that high anyway?
I've falled out / had straps fail in my hammock enough and been thankful i was only a few feet up
>>
>>1048219
why do you need a rifle
anyway buy a tarp and some food
go out in the woods, find some nice trees, string up your tarp and hammock, then sit and shoot squirrels or birds and shit
>>1048222
google it dumbass
>>1048225
people sleep in hammocks hanging off cliffs, 8ft isnt wild at all
>>
>>1048236
I just dont wanna hammock at bear/person level
>>
>>1048238
Bears dont give a shit about 8 feet. They'll climb.

Bears aren't going to fuck with you, and people probably aren't either. Would you fuck with somebody sleeping in the woods? No? Then what makes you think somebody else would? The chances are virtually nonexistent.
>>
>>1048242
And if you are afraid of bears, put your food a few hundred feet downwind of your camp. Definitely dont sleep with it. Bear isnt going to fuck with you when they can fuck with your food instead. But bears really just arent going to fuck with sleeping humans regardless.
>>
>>1048225
The rule of thumb here is to not hang higher than you're willing to fall. So live your own life and hang as high as you please
>>
>>1048236
i did google it and got a bunch of 'campgrounds' for families with kids and electricity and all.

I wanted an /out/ opinion for a nice spot, not some tourist attraction
>>
>>1048246
How high of a fall will kill me
>>
Here's one...anybody know any resources for taller /out/ists?
I'm one of those people that are tall but not fat (6'4", 210)...what are some brands that fit my body type? Jackets for example - if they fit me in length of sleeve, they're always huge and billowy. Packs are usually made for shorter people...don't even get me started on whitewater kayaks. If they have enough leg room, they're way too high volume...or I have to slide the seat all the way back and the trim's fucked up. Also, what outdoor footwear companies make wide sizes?
Any blogs for this sort of thing?
>>
>>1048250
https://www.nps.gov/state/tx/index.htm
>>
>>1048265
you could just say "i'm not familiar with the houston area and cannot recommend you a nice place to hike".
You have the attitude of a tripfag
>>
File: 1498573820079.jpg (65KB, 720x855px) Image search: [Google]
1498573820079.jpg
65KB, 720x855px
>>1048276
>someone gives you a resource
>gets offended

I'm not even him but what the hell is wrong with you. Jesus.
>>
>>1048276
you could get out and explore
you know, like 90% of the reason most enjoy any /out/ hobby
>>
>>1048203
I don't know about any outrage here but they started a program of cheap vaccination for "tick meningitis" (not sure if it's called the same in English - the wikipedia page I linked seemed to call it differently).

>>1048254
People have died from falling of their beds desu
>>
Kogohashi Takeyama
>>
Do you think it's safe to use the campfire grills in national forest campgrounds to cook food? Do you think it would attract bears to the area?
I might be sort of homeless in a bit so I was thinking of cooking my meals there, but I was a little weary of whether or not it would attract bears.
>>
>>1048359
Hang all scented products with your bear bag. Including your grills (and soaps, toothpastes, etc)

The idea of a bear bag isnt necessarily to protect your gear, it's to protect you, from a bear coming into your camp. (This is why we hang them 200ft downwind of our camp.)
>>
Is the M9 bayo a serviceable /out/door knife? I pretty much just got it for free, and it feels sturdy. It would look cool on my belt though, wondering if it's worth the weight.
>>
Who forgot to teach millennials that you're supposed to yield to uphill traffic?
>>
>>1049774
bayonets and knives are two very different things. the bayonet is designed to pierce when thrust at an enemy and is descended from the pike. it is not intended for use as a knife.
>>
>>1050324
So many people don't do this now. I think the outdoors are just more accessible to people, so many people wander out without anyone more experienced to teach them this stuff. If it's not a top hit on Google, nobody will care to learn anything about it.
>>
File: 9_513839.jpg (20KB, 700x274px) Image search: [Google]
9_513839.jpg
20KB, 700x274px
>>1050326
You're right, but it LOOKS like a knife.

Maybe I can swap it for a kabar to take innawoods. Yes, I do have a morakniv, just want big iron status because I'm a little special
>>
>>1050412
That S&W knife is fucking atrocious...Schrade makes cheap decent quality big knives that don't look retarded. I am pretty sure the same company that makes Schrade makes S&W knives, so there is no point in paying more to have some companies logo on it.
>>
>>1050412
Also the m9 is dual purpose knife/bayonet, so it's not just designed for stabbing like old bayonets...so if you want to use it as a knife, go for it...that's what it was designed to be...at least partially.
>>
>>1050415
That's just a Google image, the one I received is unmarked and came from some army supply cage, mine is green handled and black bladed with less aggressive serrations and no hole in the blade.

I'll keep it on my belt and see if I end up using it, it's a big freaking knife
>>
What kind of (cheap) pants should i wear on my trip to the Highlands in Scotland for next month? I'm pretty much a newbie in this regard, i've only got jeans but i figured when the rain comes i'm screwed.

I was thinking of buying some milsurp pants, but surely you must have some good ideas for cheapish pants in the wet and cold.
>>
How to you deal with the ash leftover from fires you make while /out/?
>>
>>1042087
What should I use as a dish soap innawoods? Could I just bring normal soap?
>>
>>1050324
What do you mean? I've never heard about this.

>>1051363
>cheap
Jeans. Seriously, denim will be more than good enough for damn near everything.

>milsurp
If you get milsurp, get the desert pattern trousers from the USMC. I can't speak for other branches but the digital pattern (little boxes) that we had were supposedly designed to be quick drying (and they did dry faster than my jeans). IIRC, they tried the same with the woodland digital pattern, but those don't dry as fast. That said, desert pattern is slightly thinner than woodland so it doesn't retain heat as well, but you probably won't notice. I mean next month is still mostly summer so you probably won't have to worry about the cold as much.

That said, you could always just get some waterproof pants to wear over your normal pants. Could grab those at walmart or similar places.

>>1051502
Usually nothing. As long as the fire is out, then I don't care unless it's pilled high enough that I need to dig the pit out.
>>
Many deaths listed on Everest are due to exposure/exhaustion. What are the symptoms of these? I intend not to climb it, I was just wondering.
>>
>>1051754
Dettol or sunlight soap is great. Can be used for washing clothes 2
>>
>>1051837
Collapsing from getting too cold/tired/altitude sick and then dying of frostbite....
Go out in the cold all the time and you will know when you're body has had enough...

Sometimes you just need a snack, sometimes you are cold as fuck and need to stand by a fire.
>>
>>1051761

Allright, ill just pick up some cheap waterproof pants then. Thanks anon.
>>
>>1044936
Link to stove please
>>1048254
80% of falls over six feet are fatal according to OSHA

My question: Where do you guys get your maps printer. What materials should I get them printed on?
I usually just print my 7.5' maps at 40% scale on 8.5x11 cardstock. But they get wet and fall apart before the end of the trip. So I would like a laminated or ruberized print
>>
>>1052449
i print them on regular paper and put them in a gallon ziplock bag.
>>
File: suunto-a-10-in-232.png (113KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
suunto-a-10-in-232.png
113KB, 800x800px
I'm looking for a compass but I don't want to spend more than 20 or 30 euro's. I really would like a mirror (for signaling) and a sight for navigation. Obviously my first choice would be the Cammenga 3H USMC compass with the tritium inserts but it's waaaaaaay too expensive.

Something like a Suunto MC-2 looks nice, but even they are a bit too expensive for my liking. I've seen the Suunto A-10, but it kinda looks like a kiddy compass, I'm wondering if it would cover my needs. It's for a prepper Get-Home-Bag, I also have a hiking GPS in there but I think I also would like a powerless option too.

I live in the Netherlands so there are no mountains here, is there even any reason to buy one with a sight for shooting azimuth with a compass?
>>
>>1042440
I know he's autistic and a meme but nutnfancy has a few videos where he talks about how he got his dog ready for hiking/gear he brings for her (sleeping bag, coat, booties if in rough terrain)
>>
>>1052716
suunto a30 has given me everything i need to navigate in the sierra nevada.
>>
>>1052718
Thanks, think I'll just go with the A-10 then which is the same as the A-30 but without USGS markings, the A-10 is more suited for European maps I guess.

>>1052717
Yup he's one heck of a meme but the pure essence or reasoning of what he does is often very well thought out, shame he just makes his videos cringe to watch or a featurefilm length
>>
File: BULLS-MTB-LT-29-2017.jpg (726KB, 1805x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BULLS-MTB-LT-29-2017.jpg
726KB, 1805x1080px
do you guys answer bike questions?

I recently got a mountain bike (10 years since I last rode any bike)
Is it normal, that the front disc brake won't completely block the front wheel, when I pull it as hard as possible? I know you are not supposed to do that anyway and it still brakes good enough I think.
I was just wondering, since I can break hard enough to stop my rear wheel while riding.
Is that "by design" to prevent you from sliding away with your front wheel, or should I get that looked at by a mechanic??

Really appreciate an answer from someone who knows something about this.
>>
>>1052886
>>>/n/
>>
>>1052888
oh, thanks
posted it there
>>
>>1052886
They *Should* be able to do that, however almost all cheaper disc brakes can't, esp. any that are cable actuated (if they are, fitting a linear cable may help) you could try fitting a bigger disc, but you can run into issues with clearance or in extreme cases ripping the brake mount of the fork itself! Most midrange hydro setups however should offer all the braking force you'd need in normal use. FYI, my road bike has TRP Spyres (quite a good cable brake) fitted with a 180mm disc and a linear cable, its shocking compared to my MTB's Saints on 203mm's which DESU have too much power (single finger use can lock the wheel)
>>
Are there any /out/ cameras that do these things:
>not super expensive
>not horribly big
>decently rugged (I'm not rough on my things but needs to survive being in a bag that might be dropped and going on a hike)
>decent battery usage
>good quality pictures
>can change lenses?

Or rather, are there any /out/ cameras at all? I don't do photography, but I want to. All the second hand stuff I see is 350+ for some reason.
>>
I'm no stranger to backpacking but this might be my longest excursion and my first trip to Zion National Park as well. I'm planning on backpacking the Southwest desert, then the Western Rim from Lee Pass to the main Zion canyon (52 miles), then the narrows, and finally the East Rim. All in all it's around a 150-160 mile hike that'll last 8-9 days. Any advice on what to bring besides the basics? My pack is 65L and has a base weight of 5.8 lbs.
Forgot to mention I'm going in mid-September.
>>
File: IMG-20170701-WA0020.jpg (495KB, 1600x934px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170701-WA0020.jpg
495KB, 1600x934px
>>1053178
Pentax k-50. I got one after seeing a couple anons talk about it on /out/. Got mine for $500 on Amazon- body, wide angle lens and telephoto lens. They're kit lenses but they're awesome for this price point. Lenses are waterproof and dustproof. Will dump just a few pics to show you what it can do. I'm a little into photography but still kind of a complete noob really.
>>
File: IMG_20160906_093310.jpg (3MB, 4096x2713px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160906_093310.jpg
3MB, 4096x2713px
>>1054134
I don't think you'll be able to find a camera with multiple lenses for $500. Hell, a single lens is usually much more than that.

This pic is a long exposure at Acadia NP. My first attempt at night sky photography with the Pentax.
>>
File: IMG_20160603_221937.jpg (974KB, 2713x2713px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160603_221937.jpg
974KB, 2713x2713px
>>1054138
With the wide angle lens you'll be able to take awesome landscape pics and I end up using the tele lens as a macro lens a good chunk of the time. Yes, I look stupid trying to take closeups of things from like 6 feet back, but I'm not made of $$ and can't get a proper macro lens yet.
>pic related, using tele lens to take macro shots
>>
>>1054134
>>1054138
>>1054142
These pictures do look great, but what would you recommend for a rookie or amateur? Or just dive into the higher end stuff because none of it is hard to learn?
>>
>>1042087
Fucking dog breeders. Kys for either being apart of it or buying one. Either way axe yourself.
>>
File: n1j5.jpg (58KB, 800x547px) Image search: [Google]
n1j5.jpg
58KB, 800x547px
>>1053178
I'm buying a Nikon 1 J5 soon, a friend of mine is a professional photographer and he recommended it to me. It's mirrorless so it's more compact and lighter and I found a deal with a 10-100mm lens for 600 euros.
>>
>>1054184
If you assholes would stop enslaving dogs for your selfish sexual needs the breeders would go out of business you degenerate hypocrite
>>
>>1054356
my sexual needs are not selfish
>>
>>1054181
I consider myself a rookie/amateur and I think the Pentax is fine for someone that wants to learn. It's a really solid camera and you can always get nicer lenses for it. What made me pick it is that all their lenses, even the kit (budget) lenses, are weather resistant and I liked the grip on the Pentax body.

You can always go mirrorless or go for something more compact, but that's a matter of personal preference. I take the camera hiking and kayaking and wanted something that can withstand the elements.
>>
>>1054580
Continuing my previous post...
What do you want out of the camera?
If you want a good starter DSLR you can get Pentax with 2 kit lenses for $500. This guy >>1054226 got a more compact camera with a single lens for €600.
I definitely find that having a single lens has a lot of limitations, but it all really depends on what kind of pictures you want to be taking. I mean, hell, you can just get a cheap point and shoot and take OK pictures.
>>
>>1054588
It's not a single lens, it just comes with the camera as a package deal.
>>
>>1042118
zesty
>>
>>1053248
>5.8lb base weight with a 65l pack
Post set up
>>
>>1054588
What I wanted is basically a dslr that can be compact and light, that's about it. I'll set my budget at 500 then and shop around some secondhand places
>>
>>1054728
If you start a thread about this I'm sure more people would weigh in. /out/ photography threads (questions but cameras, not just picture dumps) would get a decent amount of responses.
>>
File: 14995278888851649409998.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
14995278888851649409998.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>>1042118
Mora came home today. Today we are working on imprinting and recall.

Thanks for the name anon.
>>
File: wallpaperbjork.jpg (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaperbjork.jpg
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>1042087

What do I need for a 2 night camping trip where we sleep in the same spot but are hiking 2 different routes each day. I got to borrow a 100L backpack to get everything to the camping site and i have a 45L backpack for the days.

There's 2 of us and we both have not camped for over 10 years. We got gasburners, pot/pan and food stuff, tent, sleepingbags and sleepingmats. We both have 3L waterbladders. There's water at the camp site to fill up. Basic medkit. Flashilight. extra clothing and raincoat. Socks and boxers. Toilet stuff. Knife.

Missing anything?
>>
File: download.jpg (9KB, 335x150px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 335x150px
>>1055169
Are you backpacking into the spot?

If you are, make sure to keep your pack weight down. Rookie mistake is bringing too much gear.

You basically only need socks and undies, 3500*days worth of calories, water, and shelter.

There are lots of gear lists online too friend.

Have fun.

Pic unrelated.
>>
/k/ isn't very useful for this kind of thing, a friend and I are going to do a STALKER challenge aka find the sketchest place to hang out while camping with guns. Does /out/ have anything? New here, checked the catalog and didn't see much. Live in CO.
>>
>>1055169
>100l for 2 nights
>45l for daypack
>>
Two questions
Are there any disadvantages to using a dynamic rope for rappelling?
What are some good Us climbing suppliers?
>>
Alright which one of you is it.
>>
>>1055534
damn, read the big headline and had a heart attack before i saw that they're talking about a different guy in australia hahaha
>>
File: Untitled.png (80KB, 1366x628px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
80KB, 1366x628px
Is this a good starting kit for rappelling?
>>
>>1042094
Second this

Although for longevity purposes, maybe change it to Doggo McDogFace at some point
>>
for anybody that wears a baseball cap a lot, what's the best brand?
>>
File: DSC_1267.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1267.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
What should I be doing in the gym to prepare for climbing a mountain?

Background: I'm overweight, out of shape, and I'm hoping to be fit enough to climb Mt. Fuji next year. My understanding is that it isn't a particularly difficult climb as far as mountains go, but I'd like to be physically prepared for it.
>>
>>1056175
Lots of cardio and a strict diet
Load a pack with average load and hike a lot
My question
How much money does one need to do the AT ?
>>
>>1056202
>How much money does one need to do the AT ?
The rule of thumb I've heard is $2000 if you're starting from scratch. If you already have a bunch of gear, it can be pretty cheap.
>>
File: IMG_20170616_231544992-L.jpg (96KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_231544992-L.jpg
96KB, 799x450px
>>1055647
ZHats hold up the longest for me (2-3 years).
Flexfits last about a year.
>>
>>1055490
one big risk of rapping on dynamic line is that if you rap to the very end of you line then unload it the ends will spring up and you won't be able to reach it. it's also more expensive than static line.

>>1056175
like the other anon said, cardio is your friend. but the walk up fuji has something like 14 stops with restaurants and bathrooms and shrines on the way, so it's not like you won't have chances to rest.
>>
File: IMG_5733.jpg (228KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5733.jpg
228KB, 640x960px
>>1042087
BACKGROUND: Hey /out/. I've got a few questions I was hoping someone could answer. So for the first time in my life I'm interested in spending time in nature, this is dude to my recent exposure and delving into some eastern philosophy and some poems. These monks and poets discuss nature a lot and come to the conclusion quite a bit that being one with nature is really important and I'd like to try that. Ive decided that hiking is probably my best bet at accomplishing this because I really enjoy my own bed and am not a fan of bugs at all. Sorry for the blog post but I felt I had to give some background.

QUESTION: My question is, is there anything I need if I just plan on hiking for a few hours other then some water? I don't plant on veering heavily off the trail so I don't think a lot of survival equipment is necessary. But you guys know more then me so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!
>>
>>1056296
>water
>snacks
>sunscreen and bugspray as appropriate
>maybe a warm layer
>trailmap

and nobody gives a fuck about your motivation
>>
>>1056288
Noted, I actually just got some 10 mil static line.

>>1056257
I have all the gear (will probably upgrade a few odds and ends because why not, but not really thinking about those as cost).
My question is really, how much for resupply. I am not an extreme fast hiker, but I am not super slow either.
I have done week long sections and I make roughly average time.
But I tend to be a looky loo and hang out and fish, climb, and do other stuff. What I am concerned about is resupply cost.
I can carry roughly six days of food with me, so every six days I will need to hit a town and resupply on food.
Also, is there really any foods that would allow me to reasonably carry more than six days worth at a time?
>>
>>1055647
I never understood the love for brands on this board but still, I can understand picking equipment from a well-known company - but a cap? I've had the same caps that I got for free at the local inn for years and my dad's been using the same one he got there for about a decade. They lose colour after being in the sun for a while and there's some grime that you can't wash off but that's not really important.
>>
>>1056296
Bring Meditations by Marcus Aurelius to read while you take a break on your hike.
>>
Anyone know of any websites that you can find local groups/clubs that share similar interests with you? I would like to maybe get to know people who like outdoors stuff.

Also anybody have recommendations for good backpacking spots or off trail hiking/camping spots in California. I'm a first timer and plan on going solo
>>
File: georges st pierre.jpg (17KB, 573x346px) Image search: [Google]
georges st pierre.jpg
17KB, 573x346px
>>1042437
>>1044915
I dont know what y'all are talking about. I love taking my GSP on hikes but he prefers to stay in his cage. He's very aggressive when hes not in it.
>>
>>1056949
Yosemite
>>
Whats a good /out/ watch for sub £300?
>>
>>1044273
just tuck it into your clothes dumb cunt
>>
>>1057213
Casio SGW300HB. It was the cheapest reasonably accurate altimeter I could find with good reviews. I've taken mine on half a dozen hikes and it's great.
>>
>>1044293
>Are bear bells effective or do they just instill a false sense of confidence?
I also would like this answered?
>>
>>1044293
>>1057592
>black bears
yes, they effectively tell the bear you're there so it can avoid you
>brown bears
yes, they effectively tell the bear you're there so it can eat you
>>
File: 1498267749894.png (89KB, 596x548px) Image search: [Google]
1498267749894.png
89KB, 596x548px
>>1055365

gotta work with what you got. Also I Just dont feel like bringing the tent and sleeping stuff with Me from the Camp when I dont need to.
But Thank you for the insightfull comment.
>>
>>1057638

>Also I Just dont feel like bringing the tent and sleeping stuff with Me from the Camp when I dont need to

We got a retard here
>>
>>1056175
Kettlebells!!!
>>
>>1057638
or you could leave the 100 at home, use the 45 as your 2 night pack, and pick up a small daypack for 5 bucks at a thrift store. fuckin retard.
>>
>>1057675
One good reason why?
>>
How to go camping/hunting in TN? Never grew up into it and I would want to teach my kids someday.
>>
>>1048254
People have died from falling UP stairs. There is NO minimum height for a fall to cause serious harm or death.
>>
>>1057779
One good reason to not leave expensive shit (that is also essential equipment for your wellbeing) lying around in the middle of the woods?

fuuuuuck
>>
>>1058188
go with someone who grew up into it?
>>
>>1058204

Theres some other people with us who are staying at the Camp site Just fishing and stuff and it's not a known place anyways.

Sure I could buy a cheap daypack but I allready have My 45L so it does seem like money wasted.
>>
>>1057779
>Buy an extra 45 liter pack get to leave tent set up when on a dayhike
>Don't buy extra 45 liter pack have to carry tent on dayhike
>>
Do hiking boots go inside or outside the tent while you sleep?
>>
File: 1499636856522.png (645KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1499636856522.png
645KB, 600x600px
>>1058303

Wut? I allready had the 45L and one of the guys Said he had an extra 100L pack I could borrow and I Said, sure why the fuck not, now I get to bring some otherwise useless shit like beer and my mandolin that wont fit in a small bag.
>>
File: HTB1O3LBOpXXXXcRaXXXq6xXFXXXn.jpg (52KB, 318x400px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1O3LBOpXXXXcRaXXXq6xXFXXXn.jpg
52KB, 318x400px
How sketchy is this aliexpress bag?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3F-UL-GEAR-Water-resistant-Hiking-Backpack-Backpacking-Trekking-Bag-Lightweight-Camping-Travel-Mountaineering-Rucksacks-40/32772890816.html
>>
Should I get a degree in Environmental Science? I quite literally went to a magnet school for environmental studies but then went to work afterwards and haven't really done much else for about a decade. I kind of want to go back to college (probably online via an actual college so I don't have to leave my house) but I don't really know what I want to study.

I do enjoy nature and the like, but I'd also like to be able to make some sort of decent money to where I won't be a barista or something. What does someone in environmental science do? What about climatologist? Is there anything I can read that can tell me about this stuff?
>>
>>1059473
Honestly it does not look too bad
It could have shitty pack material, shitty zippers, shitty buckles...but I mean for that price why not try it out
>>
>>1059490
It's very tough to find a permanent, good-paying job in environmental science. The two people I know who majored in it are both working pretty unrelated jobs now.

Take a class in grant writing and you'll get most of the environmental science degree without paying for the rest.
>>
>>1059580

Fuck. I just want to do something in academia and not be in a trade or something similar because I fucking hate the heat here and I can barely do work outside because of it and I sure as hell don't want to be stuck in it for eight hours a day somewhere or driving around doing something without my brain.

I'm at such a loss on what to do and I'm extremely indecisive.
>>
>>1045024
My search and rescue training taught never to make a fire in a pit without 100% certainty no tree roots could possibly be affected, because they can continue smoldering underground and cause significant individual damage or even forest fires. But maybe that's location-specific to my country's flora? It seems like the kind of issue that would be either worldwide or nonexistent, so maybe that trainer was just bullshitting us.
>>
>>1056296
Important: if you're a noon and aren't taking survival/navigation gear, let someone know where you're planning to go and when you should be back, so if something goes wrong, you're not buttfucked.
>>
>>1059586
>"Work" in academia, no skin in the game, no consequences for failure, surrounded by sjews, poisoning kids minds with pseudo science

Nice Bennie's tho
>>
>>1059902

/pol/ was a mistake.
>>
>>1042087
Recommendations for best battery operated camping fan?

I sleep with a small personal fan blowing on my face at night. Have since I was 12. Looking for something comparable. Would need it to last throughout the night, decent, porbably medium, air stream. Willing to bring battery's with to change out.

Recommendations?
>>
>>1044093
>especially for male hair
Because it pulls out even more of your thinning hair?
>>
>>1056318
>nobody gives a fuck about your motivation

Why doI only hear this from people who are 'hard' or just pretend to be?
>>
>>1060195
>Why doI only hear this from people who are 'hard' or just pretend to be?
why do i only hear this from people who are little bitches that are insecure about the fact that they never challenge themselves?
>>
>>1060075
Reality hard to deal with?
>>
>>1060379

Read Baudrillard.
>>
>>1059745
I've heard this also, in fact the US forestry website specifies to always use existing firepits whenever possible when remote camping, presumably for that exact reason. That said, I don't believe that it's as common of an issue as you've been led to believe. Just be smart about it.
>>
Niggercat
>>
Do you masturbate in the wilds?
>>
I have the esbit stove but it's too small to keep a fire going in it, you need the tablets. That's not bad, but it's only good for 4 pops because that's all you can fit inside the folded stove. Plus you need to refuel for 10 bucks.

Is the larger size enough to keep a twig and stick for going long enough to heat up water? Is there another option, besides a jetboil?
>>
how do I fish on a beach with waves without a rod? I'm camping near one and I just want to see if I can catch something, I'm not willing to invest in a rod or expensive equipement. (Here most stuff costs lots)
>>
>>1060655
You can't, really. You can handline off of a pier if there is one nearby.
>>
>>1042118
hey Mora is the name of the town I grew up in up in northern MN! It is a comfy name tbqhf
>>
>>1054957
what a good pup
>>
>>1060517
yes it feels free
>>
my shitty backpack has no straps or stuff to tie stuff with. It has some holes used to tie shit to it in the bottom. How do I tie my tent (cylindrical thing) to them? Assume two small holes separated by 4 cm
>>
>>1060803
Personally, I'd sew loops into the bag and add straps.
>>
>>1060815
Do you think clothing repair places can sew loops? I mean resistant ones? I don't think I can find them to purchase where I live
>>
>>1060818
You just need a couple inches of 1" webbing (same stuff you'll use for the straps). I'd sew it myself, but you might be able to find a seamstress or tailor willing to do it for cheap. If you do it yourself, you want about 1.25" of space for the straps to go under, front and back about six inches apart, sides about 2" from edge for stability. Make sure to melt the cut edges of all your webbing before you sew them to prevent fraying.

t. I make custom bike bags and packs.
>>
>>1060872
Where do I find webbing?
>>
I'm going to a school in fort Lee, forgot the exact name of the spot but the brochure I got touted the awesome /out/ activities. I want to take in some of the appalachian trail and maybe camp a bit, normally I take a tent but I really think I could get away with a tarp and maybe a bivvy plus blanket.

Is it too memey to buy a milsurp half shelter in the camo pattern of my choice? I mean, are there better performing options for 30 dollars? What else comes in flecktarn?
>>
Why is it so fucking hot in Florida? Literally 100 degrees outside and humid as fuck. Been here for over 10 years and I still hate it.
>>
>>1060886
Fabric stores and hardware stores will carry it, also Walmart, if you want to help finance China's military.
>>
>>1044082
Get a haircut, hippie.
>>
will I get bullied for having a camouflage tent? it's all they had in stock
>>
>>1062119
no bully anon. you'll be fine. it's still better than a tacky bright color that everyone can see from miles away, completely ruining your privacy.
>>
>>1062121
it gets worse anon, I also have a tacticool molle assault pack - it was cheap and suits my needs if I even get seen by qts when I'm /out/ are they going to see me as some larping faggot?
>>
>>1062123
Maybe. I also use tacticool stuff because most of it is good and cheap/free. Oh well. I prefer going out solo anyways, if it bothers you then just do that
>>
got an entire sleep system from a carboot for £30, good as new anyway gave the tent an overnight test and it either filled with condensation or it isn't rainproof really don't want to ditchs the tent so what're my options?

plan on getting waterproofing spray and a tarp
>>
Seriously, how the fuck people deal with flying bugs and overgrown forests without going arab mode? I sort of dream of going wild camping with tarp, but those flying shits non stop land on me and I get paranoid over ticks.
Somehow I had no problems with it in my childhood.
>>
>>1062123
mate
>>
>>1062673
You just get used to it. Bugs are little more than an irritation, that's why they call them 'bugs'.
>>
>>1063363
I wouldn't mind flying bugs that much if not the paranoia of getting a disease.
>>
File: 280px-Kings_Peak_Close_Up.jpg (11KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Kings_Peak_Close_Up.jpg
11KB, 280x210px
Leaving to summit pic related tomorrow.

When I leave my base camp to get to the summit, how much effort should I take to hide everything I don't need?

Is my $60 Amazon special tent going to get stole? What about my hand crafted 850fp double baffled quilt that I sewed all by myself?

Are people bro-tier enough 10 miles in to know not to touch things that don't belong to them?
>>
>>1063541
Bugs only carry pathogens that they pick up from other sources, the further you are into the wilderness, the cleaner the bugs are (in relation to human-capable pathogens).

>>1063611
10 miles in, no one is going to want to walk off with more than they're already carrying. Plus, they'd probably get charged with attempted murder for taking something like a tent or sleeping bag. I wouldn't leave your cash or bag of rubies just lying around though... Why are you even packing a bag of rubies? Are you trying to smuggle them into Wyoming? Anon, there's easier ways of doing that.
>>
>>1063611
>how much effort should I take to hide everything I don't need?
none. nobody's going to fuck with it. people with the disposable time and income to be out there have their own gear, and the social contact is pretty good /out/ in my experience.
>>
>>1063654
>Bugs only carry pathogens that they pick up from other sources, the further you are into the wilderness, the cleaner the bugs are (in relation to human-capable pathogens).
Then I'm fucked because there aren't much deep forests in my country.
And my neighbor got Lyme Disease from tick, and she apparently was just doing work around her house.
>>
>>1063701
Unless you live in the malaria belt or something, you should really only worry about ticks.
>>
>>1063778
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoptena_cervi

>L. cervi are not only a nuisance, but also represent a newly discovered vector for Anaplasma phagocytophilum, a gram-negative, obligate intracellular bacterium that causes anaplasmosis, and also for Borrelia burgdorferi, the causative agent of Lyme Disease.

By "flying bugs", I meant those fuckers.
>>
so is it possible to navigate with a compass and no map, could I just keep a little notebook, take the bearing I headed into the forest at, then use my camp as a point to take bearings from?
>>
>>1064009
It's possible to navigate with neither. Just be aware of your surroundings. Maps and compasses are really just for people who need to find specific locations. And remember, a map and compass doesn't do jack shit if you don't know where you are, so if you're lost you're really just guessing anyway. GPS is the only real way to go, though I don't carry that either.
>>
whats the best drink for innawoods?
>non fizzy
>don't need to carry mixers
>doesn't fucking burn like straight vodka
I was thinking vodka gummy bears?
>>
>>1064218
How about don't be a little bitch?
>>
>>1064218
water
>>
>>1064218
Whiskey.
>>
File: 1466952388579.jpg (2MB, 2234x1498px) Image search: [Google]
1466952388579.jpg
2MB, 2234x1498px
This is absolutely nothing /k/ can help me with but I have a military peice of gear called a "woobie"

The army says it can take you down to 50 F but I need something for -20 F as that is the lowest it has ever been here.

Can it be done with the corresponding poncho made into a low profile tent with a small twig fire in between my crotch?

Of course the fire pit is dug I to the earth.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>1064426
You sound like you don't have the experience necessary to be considering going into such extreme weather.

Also, we can't do anything about your small twig problem.
>>
>>1064435
You're fan right. Guides?
>>
>>1064438
Could you rephrase that? I'm having difficulty understanding your loose English.
>>
>>1064015
Most ignorant comment I have ever seen on this board, holy shit you are alarmingly clueless...please, I implore you, educate yourself on fundamental navigation.
>>
Where do Southeastern Michigan fags go for /out/? The more proximal the better.
>>
File: C7ak14UVsAAqZnx.jpg (198KB, 1102x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C7ak14UVsAAqZnx.jpg
198KB, 1102x1200px
Is there a liquid-fueled heat exchanger stove because I like the concept but fuck pressurized butane canisters srs
>>
>>1065417
alternatively, any tips on alcohol-fueled heat exchanger stoves?

when I say "heat exchanger" I mean, basically, jetboil

https://www.amazon.com/Esbit-CS985H-EX-Cookset-Alcohol-Exchanger/dp/B00B49U1DW looks interesting but idk
>>
File: IMG_2590.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2590.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Got a fairly cheap mora

It rusted in the sheath without me noticing after a day out and I guess I never looked after it properly.

What can I do? How can I prevent this happening in the future?
>>
>>1053248
Watch for White Legs, and stay out of the caves.
>>
>>1056175
Fellow fatfuck here, working on it. As everyone else has said, cardio. Your cardio is a huge component of your ability to endure long stretches of physical activity. Mine is actually pretty good already because I've been walking and hiking since I was very young and my fatness comes more from a poor diet than a lack of exercise.
>>
>>1056296
Always let someone know where you're going and when you expect to be back. Bring WAY more water than you think you'll need. Layer your clothes properly. Bring a complete first aid kit and know how to use it- shit happens, if not you, then to someone else. Bring a map and a compass, stick to the established trail until you're confident enough that you can navigate off of it. Take some snacks- trail mix is called that for a reason. Bring a good, hardy knife and a good amount of rope or twine. Lastly, make god damn fucking sure your phone is fully charged when you leave. Bring a power bank. Being able to contact help if you need it is very important. Shit could save your life.
>>
Is through-hiking the AT/PCT a meme? Has anyone on here done it?
>>
>>1044082
A Ball cap on the head works well
>>
>>1065586
>How can I prevent this happening in the future?
buy the stainless instead of carbon
>>
>>1042156
>>1044824
Legit my actual fucking name
>>
>>1042087
Sophia
>>
I've been looking at poncho/tarp items, obviously to use as a poncho or gear cover when hiking, and then a shelter when stationary.

My only thoughts are that the single poncho won't necessarily be "enough" to keep me warm/dry. I took out a usgi poncho the acu one, and used it for a while and it kept ALL the rain off of me, but made a really tight shelter. Just enough to curl up at fall asleep.

What can I do? Just bring a specific tarp instead?
>>
File: 1498882399614.jpg (87KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1498882399614.jpg
87KB, 720x960px
Hey guys,
So I just bought a Denali sleeping back for my partner. He is planning on going motorbike camping and was looking for something light that would still keep him warm during the winter months- we live in Australia so it doesn't get too chilly at night. I ended up with a bag that was suitable for 0 degree conditions and 1.6kg. It is quite small but I am curious to know if it will still be too big for a motorbike. Could anyone give me any tips for maybe what to look for? I should have asked in advance but it was on sale so I just picked it up.
>>
>>1065586
>How can I prevent this happening in the future?
Oil your blade (brushing it lightly with vaseline) will keep the moisture off of it. You could switch to stainless, but carbon has added benefits like holding an edge longer and being able to throw sparks if you lose your lighter.

>>1066117
>Is through-hiking the AT/PCT a meme?
Yeah, kinda. On one hand, it's a great experience and will get you some level of recognition as an /out/ist, on the other hand, it's far more enjoyable to find your own way than it is to follow the same path that thousands of other people already have. It's basically normie bragging rights.
>Has anyone on here done it?
I started the PCT, decided that I didn't care for hiking through the desert and paying huge markups just for facebook likes. I now spend 50+% of my time in lesser-known NF areas that are far less crowded.

>>1069722
>What can I do? Just bring a specific tarp instead?
It all comes down to comfort/carry weight. If you're thruhiking, sacrifice the sleep comfort to keep your carry weight down and you'll have a more comfortable hike, but if you're just doing a shortish hike-in and staying for a few days, it's worth the weight to sleep better while you're there.

>>1069737
>Could anyone give me any tips for maybe what to look for?
I try to keep my sleep system as warm as weather will allow on the coldest night I can expect on the trip. So if you're a road warrior and you'll hit 0C every once in a while, a 0C bag is what you want; if you don't expect it to drop below 30C (as a random figure, I'm drunk and won't do the conversion right now) than a 0C bag is overkill and is not only extra weight, but it will also be uncomfortably warm on hotter nights.
>>
>>1069739
Thanks for the advice anon! The other sleeping bag I was looking at was minimum 7C, but the place we are going camping in a few weeks is going to be 4C so I think I made the right choice, despite the other bag being much smaller.
>>
>>1069744
You're welcome!
>I think I made the right choice
Looks to me like you did. You can always upgrade to a lighter, smaller bag that has better loft to get the same rating (way more expensive), or do what I do and layer liners to meet your specific needs (higher overall weight, but fully modular).
>>
>>1069746
Layering the liners is a good idea. I was looking at a Denali travel blanket also, but it's kind of pricey for my budget at the moment. Living in Australia its usually not too cold for most of the year so liners would be perfect for the nights it does drop, and to take out on the bloody hot ones.
Also, I'm looking at investing in a cheapish small carry chair for round the fire. What would be a good place to start?
>>
>>1069739
>30c bag
lol
>>
>>1065586
Dry blade after each day of use. Smooch the blade in oil or similar, this protects from rust. Tip: keep oily rag with you in small container. Also let sheath dry up sometime.

Basically avoid moisture and oil the blade. Do you cook? It is similar to care of carbon steel pans (master race tier stuff for cooking).

And most importantly: if at seashore/coast/wet, just get a stainless one.
>>
>>1069838
>small carry chair
Depends on what you want. The most comfortable camp 'chair' I've used was actually a hammock I just set up closer to the fire. Probably next best was just sitting on my rolled bedroll. I pretty much refuse to carry extra weight.
>>
How do you clean all the dirt and shit out of your tent?
>>
>>1069929
turn it inside out and shake it.
>>
File: 6166sIqnoOL._SL1000_.jpg (80KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
6166sIqnoOL._SL1000_.jpg
80KB, 1000x1000px
Newfag here, I recently started hiking. I've been doing short hikes every morning and on my days off I go on day hikes. I got something similar to pic related for free (one canteen, butt pack, additional singular ammo pouch) in olive drab. Am I going to look like a giant autist wearing milsurp in the woods? Is there any reason I should switch it out for a backpack? I like having everything on the belt for easy access.

Also, I lost my knife in the woods this morning. Knife recommendations? I had a Schrade Uncle Henry 153UH.
>>
>>1070003
yeah, you'll look like an autist. but do you care? backpacks are better because they're more versatile.
>>
>>1070003
You can probably fill the pockets with all kinds of bait.
>>
>>1070003
>Toddler here, I just took my first steps. What kind of diapers do Kenyan triathletes wear?

>Also, I lost my rattle. Recommend a more expensive one to lose.

The fuck do you even need a knife and backpack for on a damn hike?
>>
>>1063808
Picaridin for flies, DEET for ticks.
>>
>>1065417
You can get a pot with heat exchanger a la Primus.

https://primus.us/products/primetech-pot

It works with their liquid fuel stoves, but idk how much it really impacts performance.
>>
>>1070073
You've got that backwards
>>
>>1070071
>Hurr durr I'm gonna carry all this water and food in my fucking pockets like a retard.
>>
>>1070351
>carry all this water and food
Fatty can't go two hours without a meal?

You're going for a walk, not a tour in Afghanistan.
>>
>>1042087
need a new stuff sack, but dont want to spend a lot
>>
I was /out/ today, just kinda wandering around the nearby woods to get a feel for it while hitting sticks with other sticks
At one point I came along a pretty decently-sized creek, maybe ten feet across, and I sat down to have a rest.
Ten minutes later, while I was looking down and fiddling with my water bottle, I hear a loud snort/sniffing sound right across from me. I look up and I see a doe sprinting away from me across the creek and I jolt a bit, but wave it off as cool and prepare to keep on going.
Just before I stand up, I hear the snort again and there's a doe and two bucks staring at me, thirty feet away. Keep in mind that that's close enough to where I can see them in detail, but I decide to sit down and purposely not look at them because eye contact = bad (at least, I think that is for most animals). And then, a few minutes later, they walk up on the other side of the creek and start drinking out of it. I shit you not. Eventually they just kinda wandered away but it was pretty cool to me.
My question is this, though; how should I act around deer in the future? at the time I was worried that one of the bucks would get pissed and sprint over and try to gore me- fucker was a lot bigger up close- so I kept my head down. But what can I do to 100% make sure that that won't happen?
Sorry for the blogpost too but I feel like I just have to tell someone, you know?
>>
>>1070717
A few weeks ago I was /out/ in a not-oft-travelled area, and a doe followed me for about a quarter mile. I tried to scare it off at first because I figured that a buck may not be far behind her, but generally, as long as you're not approaching them, they won't attack you; from their perspective, it just doesn't make sense to start shit with a predator, because they don't want to get injured either.
>>
okay so i recently came into some cash and i am stuck between getting a project axe (pic related) and souping it up and putting some money into it to make it alot better
mainly because i really fucking like the design condor put on the head of the axe

or getting a gransfors bruks scandi axe and already know i have quality

i dont wanna get fucked by possibly having a shit grain orientation with the condor or having the head already loose or something
>>
>>1070793
If you're getting a used axe, you can put a new handle on it, and drive in a wedge to tighten the grip on the head.
>>
File: LRM_EXPORT_20170730_125508.jpg (685KB, 1366x2048px) Image search: [Google]
LRM_EXPORT_20170730_125508.jpg
685KB, 1366x2048px
Rate my new/out buddy!
Too young for big trips ATM unfortunately.
>>
>>1070793
> like the design
What is the purpose of that leather piece?
Do you plan to hang the axe on your wall?
>>
>>1070885
Why?
>>
>>1070885
8/10, what's his/her name?
>>
>>1070890
That's there to protect the handle in case you miss so it doesn't start chipping off too soon. I'm not sure how well leather protects it but it should help to keep the handle intact for longer.
>>
I'm making a closed terrarium. I only have willow charcoal used for drawing around the house. Is this a suitable substitute for horticultural charcoal?
>>
>>1071075
research seems to suggest activated charcoal has undergone a heating/boiling step that increases it's surface area which is what you need for a terrarium. looks like i'll have to buy some
>>
>>1071099
Activated charcoal is just a charcoal that due to larger amount of pores can absorb more stuff, making it a better water filter, for example.
>>
I'm hiking down the Grand Canyon with my family in a few months. I've done it once before and the people I went with and I brought tents but didn't need them. This time I was just going to bring two tarps to save weight, but my family is adamant about tents and I know I'll end up carrying some of the extra weight because of it. What do I do? I don't mind the extra weight, but why? It's uncomfortable all around for me since I love open air camping
>>
>>1071491
Get a better family.
>>
Cheap and reliable recommendations for a compass, knife and flashlight?
>>
>>1070071
Not him but I like to have food and water with me. I also take some emergency supplies depending on the likelihood of having to stay the night or incurring an injury.

[Spoiler]I also take a knife with me[/spoilers don't work on /out/]
>>
>>1070482
>he thinks a hike only lasts two hours.
>>
>>1071613
Why couldn't a hike last two hours?
>>
>>1042087
Might be a long shot, but any German anons here looking for someone to hike with?
>>
>>1071749
Just left Niedersachsen, so sorry if you are stuck living there and love to go /out/.
>>
At what point is a rucksack with a frame reasonable? Never tried one before.
>>
>>1072343
lol why? nrw here. waht did you do in niedersachsen?
>>
>>1072464
when you pack is 30%+ of your bodyweight
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.