[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mountain General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: whistlers mountian.jpg (797KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
whistlers mountian.jpg
797KB, 1920x1280px
I want to start climbing mountains, staring with simple trails on relatively small mountains and working my way up.
My first destination is Whistlers Mountain in Jasper, Canada, about four hours away.

Are there any things that a first timer should know? I've got good physical stamina and I hike regularly, but I've never tacked something with so much verticality.

As well, I've got a friend who wants to come with me, but hes in poor physical health and I'm not sure if he could do it. Would it be a bad decision to bring him with me?
Is scaling a mountain alone a bad idea?

Anyway, /mountain climbing general/

How many mountaineers are on this board?
>>
File: 1415130210880.jpg (77KB, 800x340px) Image search: [Google]
1415130210880.jpg
77KB, 800x340px
Drink water.
Make a plan, but your goal at the end of the day is making it home safely.
The mountain will be there tomorrow.
Elevation can kick your ass. HAPE/HACE are not things to fuck around with. Listen to your body.
Drink more water.
>>
>>1041234
Seems like a pretty easy place to start. Just wear sunscreen and do what you usually do.

>>1041236
He will be barely over 2000 m. The ascent is maybe 400 m?
>>
>>1041234
>>1041238
Also, what do you mean by "poor health"? I think most sedentary people could handle this ascent as long as you get an early start and go slow. How much extra weight is your friend carrying?
>>
>>1041238
>>1041239

It's a 1200m ascent, for a total of 2200m above sea level.
He won't be carrying anything save a couple of water bottles, I'll be handling most of the gear.
>>
>>1041240
1200 m ascent? The mountain only has a prominence of 470 m, where are you starting?

Any more information on your friends "poor health"? I'd say likely no problems, but you made it sound like he's got 1 foot in the grave, or it would be easier to roll him up.
>>
>>1041241

I'm just pulling information from the website. This is the trail here:

http://www.hikejasper.com/Hiking-Whistlers-Mountain-in-Jasper.html

And he doesn't have any health problems, he's just a generally lazy dude that's smokes a lot of pot and eats like shit. We've done hikes together before and he can do a 10k across rough terrain no problem, I've just never climbed a mountain before so I'm unsure of the physical stamina needed
>>
>>1041241

Also, Mt. Whistler & Whistlers Mountain are two different peaks. I'm hoping to scale the latter
>>
File: yeah, nah.jpg (157KB, 960x674px) Image search: [Google]
yeah, nah.jpg
157KB, 960x674px
>>1041241
that's not how prominence works/ that's just the height from the saddle with the closest taller mountain. trailheads don't usually start there. please fuck off giving advice until you educate yourself on basic mountain facts more.
>>
File: P1000687.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
P1000687.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>1041234
>My first destination is Whistlers Mountain in Jasper, Canada
Seems fine to start. If you run into any trouble, you can always take the tram back down to the bottom, I guess.

>Are there any things that a first timer should know? I've got good physical stamina and I hike regularly, but I've never tacked something with so much verticality.
It's a good idea to bring someone with you who has climbed mountains before. Even if you are just hiking up a trail, and there is nothing technical (i.e., using your hands or ropes), pacing yourself so you don't get tired early into the hike is BIG. Many mountaineering newbies who think they are in good physical health end up tiring themselves out early into the hike and have to turn around because they just didn't pace themselves very well. An experienced hiking partner (preferably about your same physical fitness) can help you figure out a good pace on your first time out. Hydration is also just as important. You should be drinking enough that you don't feel thirsty (it can be difficult, even for people with experience).

>As well, I've got a friend who wants to come with me, but hes in poor physical health and I'm not sure if he could do it. Would it be a bad decision to bring him with me?
Bad idea, yes. I've tried bringing several "indoor types" on hikes, and they always have issues. It's much more hassle than it's worth.

>Is scaling a mountain alone a bad idea?
No, just be aware of your health.

>How many mountaineers are on this board?
I guess I am, although only by virtue of most of the hiking where I live being on mountains. I've climbed a few taller peaks with technical sections, but with guides. There's really two types of "mountaineer" in my mind. I will not go by myself up sheer faces or over glaciers; I only go where rocky trails and small snowfields can get me (believe it or not, but pic related only had one snowfield crossing), and if that's to the top of a 14,000' peak, then that's where I'll go.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.