[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roadkill Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: Roadkill.jpg (68KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Roadkill.jpg
68KB, 600x450px
I live in a suburban area with a shitload of deer. They are killed all the time by cars (in addition to other critters of course). It's bad enough that the county pays for bow hunters to come in and cull the population. In the past 24 hours alone, I've seen two fat does dead on the shoulder.

>I want to start harvesting these animals. If possible I want to get the bodies REALLY FRESH, so I could potentially harvest the meat. I definitely would want to skin and try out different methods for preserving the pelt/hide. I've got experience with this from my days as a kiddo with a bb gun, and a back yard full of squirrels.

I'm in MD if anyone has better details. Google has yielded shit results, and I was wondering if anyone had any expertise or sage advice on this matter. I was wondering if I could get on some sort of call list? Or how should I go about getting better intel on very recent roadkill?

Pic isn't mine.
>>
Become a bow hunter.
>>
Imo you could get some pigs and feed the deers to your pigs
>>
>>1040467
Tangentially related, you should read Deerskins into Buckskins. Worth the purchase price tenfold. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0965867242
>>
I'd look into the legality of collecting road killed deer, first of all. In my state you used to have to receive a tag from the police if you wanted take a deer that you or someone else had hit with a vehicle. They changed that recently, but it's worth looking for your state.

>Or how should I go about getting better intel on very recent roadkill?

Buy a police scanner and find the frequency your local PD uses. The good ones will run you around 400 dollars, but you'll have a police radio, basically. You'll be able to hear every report that they are responding to.

You have to keep in mind that if you do start picking up road kill you're going to be doing a lot of clean up work. If the animal's even salvageable you'll still be cutting around bruised meat, broken bones, bone fragments, ruptured intestines, etc.
>>
>>1040467
Call the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. Tell them that you were on their website trying to find any regulations pertaining to claiming freshly roadkilled deer, but that the website doesn't seem have anything about that (I got curious and looked).

Most states have some sort of regulation on roadkilled deer. It's generally legal to claim them, but you often have to call the game department to get permission first. I used to do it when I lived in rural Pennsylvania. It seems like such a huge waste to leave anything fresh and in good shape by the side of the road.
>>
>>1040467
I watched a deer get hit once and pulled over to toss it in my truck. I took it home and strung it up but the meat was all bruised and mushy. Got about 1/3 of it skinned but it wasn't salvageable. Never tried again
>>
Here in the UK you can pick up road kill as long as you haven't hit it. Worked with a guy who got almost all his meat from road kill. He regularly picked up deer and butchered them during the working day.

In terms of intel, unless you set up some sort of radio network I'm not sure how you'd go about it. We just grabbed stuff whenever we found it. It's not hard to jump at, give the animal a once over.
>>
>>1040512
>>1040530
>>1040534
>>1040536
>>1040539
>>1040540
Thanks for all the advice guys.

It sounds like unless I'm lucky, the meat will be fucked
>ruptured intestines not good, don't want to chance it

I'll definitely look into a police scanner. This is a great idea.

I looked at the DNR too and couldn't find shit, so your strategy makes a lot of sense. Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if they said no. The county I live in is infamous for red tape and bullshit. What kind of trouble could you get into for picking up road kill without a permit?

Any ideas on what to make with deer skins/buck skins? I have a few ideas, but maybe there's something I haven't thought of yet.
>>
>>1040615
>It sounds like unless I'm lucky, the meat will be fucked

Depends on where it got hit. A hind quarter could be fucked, but front shoulders and backstraps could be fine. All depends. If you're worried about ruptured guts there's always the gutless method of field dressing. I've gut shot deer before. It's not a pleasant experience, but after I sprayed out the carcass the meat was fine. It's all surface. Just cut what isn't good away or discard it completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsO4tsrKPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXuOq4jz34A

>What kind of trouble could you get into for picking up road kill without a permit?

I would just call the DNR. They're really good at answering questions in my experience. Hell, if they have a Facebook page just shoot them a message over there.

>Any ideas on what to make with deer skins/buck skins?

Moccasins, gloves, sheaths, etc.
>>
>>1040467
This is possible and some people actually do this. You need to drive a circuit of road over and over. Check the time, drive the circuit once. The drive on the circuit shouldn't be over 30-45 minutes. Keep driving until someone hits a deer on that circuit, pick it up. That's really the best way to ensure good meat. However, you can do it however long if you are only looking for pelts and non-edibles.

All the rest of the info you need is easily googled.
>>
>>1040467
>DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT EAT ROADKILL
For the love of god do not eat it. Find other uses please
>>
>>1040648
>For the love of god do not eat it. Find other uses please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHy4-4eFfC8 ???

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOqyFnnwNDw ???
>>
>>1040615
The county shouldn't be an issue. DNR is a state government entity. As long as you have clearance from them you should be okay, since you're not hunting.
>>
>>1040615
So in the gay state you call home (you're in Monkey county, aren't you?) you need s salvage permit to harvest road kill. When I lived there, I would just take deer off of the side of the road in fall/ winter without a permit, I lived in the mountains and didn't give a fuck about illegitimate Cuckapolis legislation. If you get caught with a dead deer outside of season/ no tag, NRP will hit you for poaching it., regardless of how you came by it. If you try harvesting deer in the summer, you are in for a nasty, nasty time.
>>
>>1040648
I eat roadkill. I feed my dogs roadkill almost exclusively. Fuck you, the world is a giant freezer in wintertime.
>>
>>104110
Fucking dead on dude. Monkey and murder are two shitty entities that I wanna move out from. Can't currently cuz job and family, but hopefully soon. People aren't real here, and this is coming from someone living on the """"poor""""" side of the county. Stupid red tape where it doesn't matter. Stupid shit where it does.

I figured it was going to be one of those situations, and didn't wanna bother stirring the pot.
>>
File: Taylor's Island.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Taylor's Island.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
>>1041159
Yeah, I went to a state college and the amount of bumbling fucking retards from the colossal Balt-Wash Metropolitan suburban goatfuck was staggering. They are all helpless idiots, I could not believe they were real people. I come from Eastern Shore, and the first time I visited "nice" areas I was just enraged by the income inequality in lack of representation in the state. Get out, leave your job and family if you have to, the state is a dead end. I suggest Kentucky/ Tennessee, that's where I want to move my elderly parents to, since addicts in my hometown like to murder the elderly during home invasions. "The depot's heel is on thy shore"
>>
In colorado you just pull over and gut that fucker.
You can even leave the gut pile on the side of the road
>>
>>1040648
Eating roadkill is fine, but only if it is fresh. Some states actually have it written into law that it is legal.
>>
>>1041269
>>1042199
>>1041104
So thinking about it, my state is hot in the summer- right after fawning season when a bunch of stupid unlearned deer wander into roads. I've been seeing more and more young ones (just lost their spots) on the side of the road.

I could potentially wait until it's cold to try and grab deer- but until I really get to check what the bodies are like for myself I'm not gonna go around eating them. When it's cold it's way harder to skin which has it's own reason for wanting to grab them while they're warm.

Police radio seems like the only way to go around here. And that requires a permit of some kind because cops can be persnickety assholes about that kind of thing. They can be cool too, but I don't wanna start some shit over my desire to carve up roadkill.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please post'em.
>>
>>1040467
MOCO here. I hunt but have picked up road kill deer before if I see it get hit or hit it myself so I know its fresh. I don't think there's anything you can do about getting notified tho.
>>
>>1042332
You can warm up a cold carcass in your garage pretty easily. Since I'm a fur trapper, everything I skin is at least half frozen.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.