[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UK /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 25

File: Tent.jpg (210KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Tent.jpg
210KB, 1200x800px
So what are are you lot up to here in ye olde britbongistan?

I'm taking the old man camping for his 66th birthday next week. Haven't decided where yet though. I was thinking Dale Head Tarn (lake district) would be a good spot as I havent camped along there myself in a while.

>epic views down the valley
>pitching spot sheltered by a rocky outcrop
>water source
>Abandoned slate mine close by for spoopy exploring shenanigans
>A pretty quiet spot in general
>Easy walk in/out if you park at honister slate mine
>>
lads I'm very inexperienced in hiking and camping but I want to do it a bit more. Live in Essex but prepared to travel

has anyone got any good multi-day routes (ideally 2 days, camping overnight) that I could do as a beginner>
>>
>>1040126

Northumberland here. Just finishing off the last of the wind blow from previous years and squaring away the estate pheasant pens before the birds are delivered in a few weeks. With all the dry weather we've actually been on watering(!) some of our roadside and additional ornamental standards. Watering trees right? In the UK. Fuck my arse.

Anyway, if anyone finds themselves up on the grouse moors soon, be vigilant for the chicks. It looks on point to be one of the first rock solid grouse seasons for a few years with the lack of late snow like we had last year but when you consider every bastard and his mother has a dog that they let run wild and are out walking just for "fitness" that could all change. Same for fires and barbecues, I know we have a lot of folks here who like that kind of thing myself included so I won't go all Saftey Sally but as a personal favour to me, if anybody doing that shit could just be as careful as possible that would be ace. Our countryside is delicate and you guys should give anybody you see acting like an arsehole a good telling off.

I took my girlfriend for her first go at clay shooting this weekend? Anybody else here into country sports or the like?
>>
>>1040136
Bumping for this
>>
File: 1475934637057.jpg (35KB, 229x317px) Image search: [Google]
1475934637057.jpg
35KB, 229x317px
>>1040151
cheers mate
>>
>>1040152
What are you guys looking for more specifically?

I'm in Manchester and get /out/ for multi days at least every few weeks.

North Wales, Peak District, Lake District are all great for varied routes (you can do peaks, flats, whatever you fancy).

Head further north into Scotland and you don't need to worry about wild camping legality. Same with heading south to Dartmoor.

I came back a few days ago from a fantastic multi day walk through Cheshire called the Sandstone Trail (you can wild camp but there's regular camp sites too along the way).
>>
>>1040166
Manc anon here again - if you want to post me a throw away email address I can send contact details I'd be well happy to chat privately and even better meet up for a few days hike and wild camp.
>>
>>1040166
>>1040168
ah mate massively appreciated but I'm a total novice, I'd probably just slow you down, not to mention I don't actually have any gear, as I say I've only done day hikes before
>>
>>1040172
Absolutely no problem anon. The main thing is you're getting /out/ even for just a day.

Slowly step up your game - go a bit further, higher, whatever. Keep going as long as you can (safely) into the winter.

Every time you push yourself further than before you are learning and expanding your experience.

Grab a tarp from B&Q they're cheap as chips. A few pegs and a couple of sticks and a bit of string and you're near enough good for a night out.

Add a hobo stove (look it up) and a pan so you can have a good feed. If you fuck up you've got an uncomfortable night then you walk home. You won't fuck up though.

To enjoy it all best though - work on getting fit. It's something you can work on every day and will pay dividends when you get out there.
>>
>>1040175
cheers mate, you seem like a proper sound bloke, appreciate the patience
>>
>>1040181
I'm sure our paths will cross at some point anon whether we know it or not.

I /out/ a lot with my middle daughter who absolutely loves the wilds. When I first took her for a proper wander and a wild camp under a tarp on Helvellyn in the snow and ice she was shocked at how friendly the other people we met were as we were hiking the trails.

I agree with her. If you wanna meet solid friendly and interesting people - go /out/.
>>
kent here, nothing massive but there are relatively big forests around me
>>
>>1040126
Doing the west highland way then spending a couple days to rest and climb ben nevis.
>>
>>1040752
Midges are gonna be a bitch. How do I fight the tiny menace?
>>
>>1040761
Long sleeves and a head net..
>>
Heading up to finish the Pennine Way tomorrow. I started it in April but ended up having to stop on day 3 with an injury. Not the most inspiring walk but I started it so now I have to finish it.
>>
Scotfag here, recently moved to Northamptonshire for work - fuck me this has to be the the LEAST /out/ region in the UK.
>>
Any have experience in stealth camping in England? I would go camping much more but I can't afford to mess about with planning my entire trip around campsite locations, booking and paying their stupid fees for a patch of grass and faucet.
>>
>>1041668
It's easy. There's plenty of cover to be found when you need it, and I've never met anyone who cares. English folk are pretty good about it as long you seem like you're respecting the land.
Have an evening pint at a local pub and ask them if there's anywhere nearby that's good to camp. As often as not they'll point you in the right direction.
>>
UKfag here visiting sweden right now and let me tell you, uk /out/ fucking sucks. how could we let it get this bad, to the point where 99% of the fucking country is farm land.
>>
>>1041671

Where exactly would you suggest, what type of land? The only time I was ever caught trespassing the farmer threatened to shoot me, so it's put me off a fair bit
>>
>>1041903
lol yes obviously UK isn't great. Even the lake district and snowdonia are kinda shitty. Scotland is still alright. Hey,, at least we arent the netherlands
>>
>>1041939
Even near me where /out/ is entirely farmland and small towns... I know of a couple of wooded areas that I'd bet would do.

I sort of want to try it... hike in and hide, sleep then hike out the next morning.
>>
>>1040592
good ol' kentish man here as well, where abouts are you? I'm north coast nearish canterbury, any good spots in kent you reccomend I check out? I personally like cycling along the crab and winkle line between my town and canterbury and just choosing to pitch my tent somewhere along the way, a long way off from where people could see me obviously
>>
>>1041668
I do it fairly reguarly, just make sure you're off the beaten path where you're unlikely to be disturbed and always clear any mess you make
>>
>>1041939
What a tosser. Be realistic though, do you think for one moment he actually would have?
All terrain in England is pretty much the same, isn't it? There are always woodlands and hedges to hide a tent in if you can't get permission.
Places like Dartmoor and the Peaks are easy-tier.
>>
Ah well 60 miles done in two days but the Pennine way is too boring. Going to call it a day and save my pennies to hike somewhere more interesting.
>>
>>1041939

If he actually has a gun of any descriptions that's enough to get him at least visited and spoken to by the rozzers.

>t. A farmer with a shotgun
>>
>>1042627
I've always wanted to do the Pennine way as I live 1/2 way on it.
Where did you start?
>>
>>1042791
I had walked edale to hebden bridge in April in two days. This time I started out again in hebden bridge and am calling it a day in hawes. To be honest I wouldn't recommend the bits I walked. The Northern section from Bowes on looks a little more interesting but not enough for me to want to continue. Going to rest up, save some money then think up the kungsleden or GR20. I'm kind of done with long distance trails in the UK. Apart from maybe the Cape Wrath Trail but if want someone to walk it with.
>>
>>1042811
I don't think I could give up a walk half way through, but you do you.

Kungsleden would be amazing, some of the photos for there are incredible. Not heard of GR20 but I'll have a look.

Normally I head out with an audiobook or two, normally I encounter someone heading the same way and walk with them for the rest of the way. This has happened a could times!
>>
>>1042847
>>1042847
I was hoping to meet someone on the walk but no luck this time round. I accidentally deleted all the audio from my phone before setting which I've been kicking myself about.

Yeah I very rarely quit a hike. But I'm just having zero fun. I was walking a lot in France earlier in the summer and the landscape was just so much more varied.
>>
Hey so I`m new to /out/, Ive kind of just brokered an interest lately. I`m painfully new so I apoligise in advance.
I would love to go camping. But I mean my experience or what I`ve seen is just tons of tents in a field next to a caravan site. I`m looking for a place where its just me. Alone (or with whoever I go with).
I`ve heard of I think its free camping?, but some place where I could just walk into a woods or where ever and camp there for the night, without getting into legal bullshit. Where could I do this? and what exactly is it called? I live in Yorkshire if thats any help.
Thanks anyways and god I hate being new to a board.
>>
>>1043115
I've been wild camping for the last couple of nights on Yorkshire. Just head up into the hills in the evening, find a good spot and pitch your tent as the sun goes down. I've never been bothered.

Obviously you want to be off the path and a little hidden.
>>
West highland way in a few weeks. I'm gonna go off the beaten path to avoid the crowds.
>>
>>1042887
Me and the dog may have met you for a pint or small section of the way anon, I'm not that far from Hebden Bridge.
>>
File: IMG_20170619_224714_640.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170619_224714_640.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>1043115
Bonus pic.
>>
File: Northumberland.jpg (591KB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
Northumberland.jpg
591KB, 2197x1463px
French anon here, requesting pics of your /out/ings to plan a future trip, if you please
>>
>>1040166
is Manc anon still about?
>>
File: IMG_20170622_140716_449.jpg (2MB, 3559x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_140716_449.jpg
2MB, 3559x2304px
>>1043283
Will post some of my current trip.
>>
>>1043254
Is this looking over to lothersdale ?
>>
>>1043283
Here is one from last year
>>
>>1043283
If you got that picture from here I think I posted it. Have one of me on the wall, apologies for excessive HDR, it's not my fault I swear
>>
File: out 1.jpg (103KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
out 1.jpg
103KB, 960x720px
>>1045795
Oops
>>
File: out 2.jpg (70KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
out 2.jpg
70KB, 960x720px
>>1045795
Glen Coe
>>
South Wales anon here. We've got some amazing places to wild camp locally. Going this weekend for two nights
>>
>>1045199
Hah, nice spot. It is just north of Lothersdale, looking north. Towards Gargrave I think?
>>
File: IMG_20170626_124511_584.jpg (2MB, 2304x2880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170626_124511_584.jpg
2MB, 2304x2880px
Innawoods over the weekend. Just a shortish walk from home.
>>
File: IMG_2661.jpg (78KB, 637x574px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2661.jpg
78KB, 637x574px
Currently on a surfing holiday in Cornwall England and then after that my friend is coming from Australia for a month and we're going around Europe and also going camping with some guys and girls, actually can't wait :)
>>
File: IMG_20161230_130101005.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161230_130101005.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>1043283
>>
>>1046218
>you must be 18 to use 4chan
>>
>>1046282
I am 18 but look young
>>
I'm planing an impromtue midnight hillwalk tonight
http://www.munromap.co.uk/

pick me a Munro, no islands and the more southerly the more likely I am to go with it but if you make a good case I will go anywhere.
>>
I'm camping on Islay right now, doing some distilleries on the cheap.

This fucking wind man. It's not even that strong but it feels like the tent's about to take off. I can't find anywhere sheltered nearby either.
>>
Good boots I can buy in a the UK?
>>
>>1046114
Please share some.
>>
File: IMG_20160802_091743_hdr.jpg (2MB, 3116x3116px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_091743_hdr.jpg
2MB, 3116x3116px
>>1047208
I hope you survived buddy. My first night in Kiloran bay on Colonsay was spent in some kind of gale force storm. I have a Vango Odyssey which while having it's internal tension bands and not being total cheap crap it's in no way what you would call a storm tent but a storm it met that night on a hillside over looking the Atlantic, the kind that had the local ferry heading back to Oban sharpish instead of over-nighting like usual. We had managed to pitch tents and get some burgers & beers down us gullets before the blitzkrieg in a gale arrived. Inside I could usually stand up in the tent but that night I could feel the tent roof was rapping down on my head whilst I was sat up on the air bed skinning up. The tent must have been almost flat with the beating it took. I wasn't sure where or even if I was going to wake up in the morning as I gripped onto my dog until blacking out. And hell fire I was glad when I did, unscathed and where it had been pitched the week only got better and better. four nights later and it was close to Balearic the day we left.
>>
File: IMG_20160804_162448.jpg (2MB, 3120x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160804_162448.jpg
2MB, 3120x3120px
Also to add a couple/friends who we're on the trip had to borrow a tent off our host as theirs had been trashed that night, flattened, ripped zips on the doors and a few peg loops separated from the tent which in fairness was a £60 4 man tent for festivals. Another mate who now has the Vango you see in the above pic, also had a fairly budget 3 man tent which had the porch and fly sheet that gave up the ghost on the second night but with some excess of pole and material we bodged it enough to see him through(the wind had also died by the third night) the final two nights. We still go back every year I love it there.
>>
File: IMG_20150805_114840.jpg (1MB, 3120x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150805_114840.jpg
1MB, 3120x3120px
>>1048393
>>
>>1047245
A forestry mate swears by his meindl and an army mate says lowa personally I buy a pair of cheap ones in the sales and hope they last a year. I got sick of paying £150+ and them not lasting. Berghaus/5.11/Brashers now I won't pay £50 and I'll get 1.5 years approx out of 'em. Do you need specialized ones or just general wear and tear ? for longevity I'd say avoid them silly fabric ones even if they claim they are waterproof they won't be after 8 months. For a one off long hike get something light ''waterproof'' and comfy it'll probably see you through a week or twos hard trekking.
>>
are you sure that he is going to get up the mountain?
>>
>>1048396
Thanks yeah I need something for the West highland way in a few months. Do I definitely need boots? Looks like a lot of it is on a trail.
>>
File: e7bcd9b0ff730a6d590703e68f149e76.gif (121KB, 720x1152px) Image search: [Google]
e7bcd9b0ff730a6d590703e68f149e76.gif
121KB, 720x1152px
good tents for a solo hiker in the UK?
I am thinking Vango Zenith 100 or a Vango Helix 100.
>>
>>1048766

Anyone done the Mendip way? Looks like a fun little 4-5 day hike east 2 west.
>>
>>1040126
Kiwifag here, just popped in to say your country sucks.
>>
>>1046202
Where is this? I'm only near hills. No forests. Fml
>>
Hello,

I'm a stupid gästarbeiter for the summer here in Peterborough, where do I go for two day hikes? Maybe someone wants to hike with me?
>>
File: b_1_q_0_p_0.gif (46KB, 600x371px) Image search: [Google]
b_1_q_0_p_0.gif
46KB, 600x371px
>>1048868
I'm from up north Jerry so I doubt I could help you out properly however if you can get to Wales cheaply enough there's plenty in the North to keep you happy for a long weekend. I'm not sure but Norfolk has some pretty remote areas and nice beaches I doubt two days worth but there is only one way to find out. Also have you looked at Rutland ? The breadknife is from Leicester and says thats the only real open space round there but wasn't very /out/ as a kid so may not be too clued up on whats available now,
>>
>>1048868
I am from the Peterborough area and out is fairly limited here. Norfolk is very beautiful and you could happily walk along the coast line there, it's not remote but that means you don't have to carry much food which is a bonus I suppose. There are long distance walks in this area, however, they will be through a lot of flat land and you'll never be far from man made stuffs. The Nene Way passes straight through Peterborough.

When are you arriving?
>>
>>1048811
East midlands, the area isn't great for /out/ing but there are lots of woods and places that are easy to stealth camp in.
>>
>>1048868
I'm this anon >>1049109

Get on the out discord and post your username here and we could plan a hike if you want
>>
File: jean-reno.jpg (78KB, 777x575px) Image search: [Google]
jean-reno.jpg
78KB, 777x575px
>>1040175

>a tarp, a pan and a hobo stove

you must really hate when people invade your personal /out/ experience so much that you purposefully give such shitty advice to ensure people dont enjoy their first camping experiences and never try again
>>
>>1045803

great job contributing to the destruction of the wall, hopefully sections like this will erode and curmble completely soon so your photo of you walking on it is extra special!
>>
>>1047245

I love my brasher supalites
>>
>>1049331
That's not shitty advice at all. That's a lot of fun.
>>
Anyone walked the West Highland way in scotland?

I was going to do the first few days in late october but I'm not sure of how the conditions are going to be and how many kms to aim for a day or where to stay. I'm not going to do the whole thing, just 3-5 days from Milngavie
>>
File: bog-snorkelling-620x400.jpg (106KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
bog-snorkelling-620x400.jpg
106KB, 620x400px
>>1049808
Cold and wet. If you are fit aim for ~30km a day. Sleep in a tent. You can camp anywhere legally in Scotland.
>>
Any N.I /Out/landers on here?

Where do you go?

I've literally walked all over Donegal as its close, Are the Mourne's decent?

Pic is from the top of Errigal.
>>
>>1049860
Nice view! I have spent a lot of time around Dundalk, but not much further north than that.
>>
>>1049861
Nice, What's the hiking like around there?

I'm rarely down south unless its to fly out, wanting to change that though and get down to Kerry.
>>
>>1049324

Sorry for the delay, I didn't have Discord before so I made and account just now, not very sure how to use it yet. My uhhh user name is superfastdoggo#4758. I'm here in Peterborough for a week already, I'm a 24yo lithuanian if that makes any difference.
>>
>tfw raised in the western highlands but now live in the east mids where there is approximately fuck all /out/
I’m compensating now I’ve caught the hiking bug and planning trips probably way more ambitious than is sensible. Im going up with my gf in a couple of weeks to try and bag 6 mountains in 9 days.
>>
>>1050122
https://discord.gg/GcGXtdZ

hop on this server
>>
>>1050419

Done
>>
File: pepe.gif (725KB, 373x280px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.gif
725KB, 373x280px
>>1048766
>tfw one of the trails runs through my street
>>
>>1049110
I'm East Mids as well, what sort of area?

There are some good spots for stealth camping like you say, especially near the rivers.
>>
Another question on wild/free camping:
How's the situation in Cornwall, especially in the high season?
Thinking about heading to Cornwall for some climbing, but it'll probably be in August, and my google-fu tells me that this is in the "bank holidays" and thus rather crowded.
But it seems like the crowds are mostly an issue for the touristy hotspots and the roads to/from the east and you can still find parts without too many folks.
And how easy is it to get a spot at an official, paid for campsite for two people + car and small tent, without booking in advance? How busy is the busy season?
>>
>>1051753
There are some beautiful wild camp spots on the coastal path but any further inland is an impossibility. As for official campsites, it depends on whether school holidays are on - sometime like August even the most tucked-away campsites will be absolutely rammed with insufferable posh glampers.
>>
>>1051787
>it depends on whether school holidays are on - sometime like August even the most tucked-away campsites will be absolutely rammed with insufferable posh glampers.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. The idea was to go in August, since that seems to promise the best weather (climbing ain't no fun in the rain), but I'm having second thoughts. also looking at airbnb for our planned period, for another low cost option, it seems like most are already booked, so I'll probably rething.
Any other anons got some opinions?

And how's September for crowds and weather?
For climbing, it musn't necessarily be hot, but cold and rain sucks and it would be nice if there is a high chance of being able to quickly skinny dip for a bit, without freezing my dong of.
And the crowds? Holidays end after first week of september, it seems?
>>
>>1046323
>I am 18

are you fuck
>>
File: 1463257280274.jpg (11KB, 240x193px) Image search: [Google]
1463257280274.jpg
11KB, 240x193px
>>1048778
>>
>>1048778
You better watch it you upstart or we will dispatch our finest vessels to reclaim your backwater colony and put you all to work.
>>
>>1051360
Between Northampton and Norfolk. Yeah plenty of spots to camp. I know a lot of the land owners in the area as well which makes it all a bit easier.

>>1051792
Go to South Wales, less people, cheaper, better all round IMO.
>>
>>1051861
>Go to South Wales,
I have the Pembroke climbing guidebook, I guess that's south wales, and it looks nice, but I really need some sweet seaside granite in my life.
But it's just a 4 hour drive, so seems like something we could also do.
>>
File: 1475663248707.png (1MB, 1203x899px) Image search: [Google]
1475663248707.png
1MB, 1203x899px
Anyone know how to get over these hills in the south downs? Seems to be cut off by the river arun, didn't have time to search anymore. Plan to go back and try to get over them this time. Any advice?
>>
>>1052588
Use a map dude
>>
Hey UK sc/out/s. I'll be moving to England in the fall, Exeter specifically. I've lived in the Boston area for the past 8 years. I kayak, bike and hike. Please redpill me on what camping and hiking are like in the UK. Not many mountains in Devon but it looks like there's decent spots for paddling...

What gear should I bring with me? I am definitely bringing my 22 L and 50 L packs, sleeping bag and pad. I can bring most of the backpacking gear with too since it's so light, but I don't know if I can get the same fuel and etc... Also what's up with knifes? Would my Leatherman Rebar be ok to carry? I can make a separate thread if necessary...
>>
>>1052600
> Boston
Lincs ?
>Please redpill me on what camping and hiking are like in the UK
Much less wild and much less space than the USA, as is with everything tbf
>What gear should I bring with me?
what ever you can't do without that can't be bought cheaply here, maybe ditch the kayak if you're struggling with hand luggage
>I am definitely bringing my 22 L and 50 L packs, sleeping bag and pad. I can bring most of the backpacking gear with too since it's so light, but I don't know if I can get the same fuel and etc...
You may have to tell us more information to get more help
>Also what's up with knifes?
kiddies use them to settle gangfights like your niggers use guns and they kill people
>Would my Leatherman Rebar be ok to carry? I can make a separate thread if necessary...
I carry a knife daily but I have a reasonable excuse to carry it, I have two businesses both of which make extensive use of a knife and fuck those staff members that never put the stanleys back where they should be. A true sc/out/ always has a reason to carry a knife.
>>
File: IMG-20170704-WA0020.jpg (312KB, 1600x1059px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170704-WA0020.jpg
312KB, 1600x1059px
>>1052616
>Lincs?
Dunno what that is but here's a pic of the Boston skyline yesterday as seen from my rental kayak.

>more info on gear
Sure. I dont own a kayak, so ill be living that rental life unless I find a good cheap folding/inflatable one. Also leaving my bike behind, hoping to just buy a good one on location.

I'll know 4 people in Exeter, all married with kids so I'm assuming all of my camping/hiking/biking will be done solo. Might be able to get a group together for camping. So although I own a bunch of gear I'm thinking of focusing on bringing the solo stuff.

Definitely bringing with:
- 22L Osprey Sirrus day pack
-50 L Osprey Aura AG
-BA sleeping pad
-TNF 20 F sleeping bag
-Leatherman
-various dry bags and stuff sacks
-other little things like eating utensils, GPS, etc
-hiking boots (duh)

Other stuff I own:
-TNF Stormbreak 1P tent (most likely going to bring since I doubt I'll have a hiking/backpacking buddy at first)
-Coleman 3P tent (backup tent option, good for camping, not bad for backpacking if there's another person to split the weight with)
-Coleman 8P tent (overkill)
-MSR pocket rocket (will bring with if I can get the fuel for it in the UK)
-titanium cookware (will bring if Pocket rocket is OK to bring)
-Coleman Classic stove (tempted to bring for maximum comfy camping, but might be overkill of it's just going to be me)
-spare sleeping bags and pads (only bringing the best/newest ones with)

Is it actually worth bringing a tent? Can you backcountry camp or are there huts, etc along longer routes?

What are campsites like, other than crowded? Here they're standard with a firepit and some sort of grill.

Also, what would be some good hikes in that area that would be OK to do in November?

Thanks anons.
>>
>>1052645
>Dunno what that is
faceciousness. Boston, Lincolnshire is the namesake of your New-Boston
I've no kayaked in years (back in scouts) however I don't thinks it's popular over here so rentals may not be available look for cheap 2nd hand ones on gumtree, afaik you may need local waterboards permission where you can sail (if you care about permissions that is, UK is pretty weak ass when it comes to the buearocracy of enforcing petty stuff)
Bring all the shit you want if shipping costs are not an issue. Things like pads and 8p tents will take up space and money on flights over. Bags can be what you bring gear over in so no worries about those.
go outdoors (a popular UK chain store) sell MSR stoves and fuel, make sure US and UK have same connections
>This 4 oz. canister is sized to fit inside the MSR 1.0L Reactor® Stove System.
>Is it actually worth bringing a tent? Can you backcountry camp or are there huts, etc along longer routes?
The UK is very small and land is precious so people are very protective about their land. Backcountry camping is done by people myself included (and almost expected on long trails in lake district or wales) but if your not innawoods enough you may get hassle from land owners some farmers will accept a £10 back hander it's always worth trying your luck.
>What are campsites like, other than crowded? Here they're standard with a firepit and some sort of grill.
full of normies kids and dogs, it depends on the campsite, some on trails are designed for walkers some by rivers / seaside are mainly families. We went to one on Welsh coast and a huge party of slopes have a giant gazebo/day tent with flatscreen and a PS3 in. You will be lucky to find one with firepits or some sort of grill and will pay a premium for those sites.
>Also, what would be some good hikes in that area that would be OK to do in November?
can't help I'm a northern monkey
Hope others can advise more/better and have a safe journey anon
>>
>>1052670
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/msr-isopro-4oz-113g-canister-p321964
>>
>>1052600
From that part of the world you can get pretty affordable advanced train tickets to the peak/lake district. Great walking and wild camping up there.

>What gear should I bring with me?
Gear for rain and wind.

>but I don't know if I can get the same fuel and etc
I use a alcohol stove so can't talk about gas. But Methylated Spirits are cheap and easy to get hold of.

>Also what's up with knifes?
Best not carry your machete around the city center but your multi-tool, pocket knife, whatever is fine to take hiking. I carry a folding knife daily for work.

There is loads of amazing rock climbing in the UK if you are into that.

>Is it actually worth bringing a tent? Can you backcountry camp or are there huts, etc along longer routes?
Plenty of bothies (unmanned huts) up in Scotland but in England you'll need a tent unless you want to use youth hostels.

>What are campsites like, other than crowded? Here they're standard with a firepit and some sort of grill.
They vary hugely from a field with no facilities to full on plotted pitches with an electrical out let. The sites I have used are always of the former and are pretty comfy and cheap. Rarely crowded.

>Also, what would be some good hikes in that area that would be OK to do in November?
Anything south of Scotland is going to be doable but be ready for miserable weather! Scottish routes will also be manageable but there is much higher chance of snow. Britain isn't huge so don't write off areas that you think are far away from where you are living. A couple of hours on a train will get you there. As long as you buy your tickets in advanced they'll be ok. Also if you are <25 get a young persons rail card.
>>
>>1052645
www.ldwa.org.uk
>>
>>1052670
>>1052671
>>1052679
>>1052681

Thank you guys! Sounds like I'll definitely bring the 1P tent then and maybe even the camp stove. I'll be transporting everything via checked baggage so the size is somewhat an issue, but I'll have 2 trips of 3 checked baggage pieces so that should be enought to move my /out/ stuff and other housewares I'll be bringing with.

I'm 26 so can't get that discount card, but if PhD students count as students, maybe I can get a student discount on stuff. I'll also have an international driving permit so I would be able to rent a car to get around if it's cheaper and less of a hassle than public transit.

Once I'm settled I'll probably make a thread and see if anyone would be down for some adventures in the spring/once weather is good. Never done hiking or camping solo, always manage to convince at least one other person to come with, so I wouldn't wanna do solo stuff like that in a country I'm not used to. Kayaking is different--usually go by myself and almost prefer it that way.
>>
File: yotsuba_recommends_by_pardner.jpg (119KB, 781x382px) Image search: [Google]
yotsuba_recommends_by_pardner.jpg
119KB, 781x382px
>>1052723
Oh if you are PhD you should qualify for the rail card. I am sure my PhD buddies all have them!

Yeah do make a thread! Always nice to meet /out/ists!
Thread posts: 105
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.