[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: cured-pork-belly-11.jpg (72KB, 599x430px) Image search: [Google]
cured-pork-belly-11.jpg
72KB, 599x430px
Hi /out/.

I'm starting plans for a hike in a few months' time, and I'm trying to figure out what food I can preserve for the trip.

Thing is I don't want to touch carbohydrates. I've been on and off of a ketogenic diet for the past 5 years, and I'd really like to see how my energy stacks up vs the scroggin gobblers.

I'm not too precious about sources of fats, but I'm not that into oils and I can't eat peanut butter. I was more looking at ways to preserve high fat meats, such as pork belly. Bonus is I can plan to prepare some fantastic camp stews with the things I pack.

So, are there any fatty meat preservation methods that don't just make salt pork? Could I smoke pork belly? How well would it keep?
>>
>>1039706
>hiking
>no glycogen reserves
don't do it, anon. keto is otay for normal usage and every day life but if you're going to be using energy reserves throughout the day at a constant "drain", it would not be beneficial to have no glycogen (starches or sugars) in your blood.

Fatty meat preservation would just be pickling or finding something that has limited protein. I use either beef jerk shrink wrapped and coated with salt (in which I can brush off when i open) or fish preserves. My favourite for quick energy is Cod Liver. tins of that shit are $3 and easy to wolf down.
Also, why would you smoke pork belly? Just make it into bacon.

t. fag who did keto for like 3 months
>>
>>1039753
You still have glycogen on a ketogenic diet. You still have glucose in your blood on a ketogenic diet.

Everyday life for me is 10 hours a day of outdoors labour. I do farm clean ups and gardening, so far so good. Far more energy than when I'm on carbs, but that might be some obtuse first world issue I have or something.

And yeah, bacon is great and all but I have eaten so much fucking bacon for the past 5 years that I can really only stomach it for breakfast.

I suppose bacon stores pretty well in a slab. Might have a look.
>>
>>1039760
>I suppose bacon stores pretty well in a slab
No it does not.
Your best bet is to cook then shrink wrap it
>>
>>1039760

good points anon, I've eaten mostly ketogenic for the past 5-6 years as well (under 50 g carbs per day, lower if I'm not doing much activity) and never noticed any handicaps whatsoever.

Maybe look into pemmican? I think it may be more proteiny than fatty, though. Usually too much protein vs. fat inhibits ketosis, but if you're hiking, I figure it'd be no problem. Make sure you have extra potassium as well, I notice I need a lot more of it when more active.
>>
>>1039753
Jerky isn't Keto. Keto is mostly fat.

I doubt you were ever in Ketosis.
>>
>>1039801
It almost sounds like you don't know what bacon is.
>>
Eggs last a long time at room temp.
I've kind of started to hate them though.

Salted, cured, or smoked bacon of course.

Butter.

And Confit.
Confit is basically slow cooking meat in it's own fat. It keeps for a good while.
>>
File: Not a poo.jpg (56KB, 800x436px) Image search: [Google]
Not a poo.jpg
56KB, 800x436px
>>1039706

Keto-bro here. I pack a home made 50/50 mix of ev olive oil and MCT oil to baste or pour over my meals when out hiking or camping. Also turkey jerky was good. When doing heavy physical work I would pop a magnesium supp to help prevent cramping.

Check out some of the boerwors sausage if you can locate it. Tasty treat on cold mornings.
>>
>>1039876
I'm not after jerky. I'm after trail preserved fat.

I'm also not a fad dieter, I know a heck of a lot about managing macros to stay in ketosis.

If I were eating more than a handful of jerky I'd have to supplement it with something like a soft cheese or some double cream. A big blast of protein will knock you out of ketosis almost as quickly as simple carbs, the difference is that you'd have far less energy because your body would be running on glucose produced via gluconeogenesis.
>>
>>1040171
porkbelly is rather simple to preserve though I don't know what water availability is like where you are, methods that are pack stable are heavily salted.

The best thing for pure animal fat would be suet rendered from kidney fat if you want to go all natural. Your grocery store butcher will probably have some but I'd call in advance or give a tip so they'll call you when it's in.
>>
>>1039706
I've taken some artisinal salami with me for up to 5 days. Salami Bedu has good stuff that's softer, Olympia provisions is a harder with a little more funk on it. I would order both again. Kinda pricey.
>>
>>1040204
>suet rendered from kidney
Enjoy you piss fat
>>
>>1040263
From around the kidney, is your head made of shit just because of it's proximity to your ass?
>>
>keto
>five fucking years

Oh man enjoy your kidney failure.
>>
>>1040391
no my kidneys are double from ketonis
>>
>>1040391
I don't do ketosis all day every day. I'm trying for a more natural, seasonal diet. I usually do 3 months on, 3 months off, but in the on months I'll have a day or two every fortnight where I eat natural simple carbs.

Also when I'm off ketosis, I still have a few days in a month where I'll just slip back into it from the food I eat.

Chances are if you were to remove processed foods from your diet (I'm not a paleo fag) and started eating fat and offal at the times when you'd typically have a lean steak you'd find yourself falling into ketosis for a day or two at a time. Simple carbs and sugary fruits are only available in abundance at fairly specific times of the year, if you eat what's available in your area and think of grain as what it is - starvation food - you'd be in ketosis every time you ate a fatty meal.
>>
Salo
>>
>>1039706
>Bonus is I can plan to prepare some fantastic camp stews with the things I pack.

are you thru hiking?

exactly how much weight do you think you will be carrying and how much time are you going to allot to cooking?

because I can tell you right now you're going to be wrecked ass tired at the end of the day, ESPECIALLY with no carbs and you're not going to feel like making a fucking stew
>>
>>1040881
My definition of a stew is everyone takes some of their dried food and puts it in a bottle with some rice to soak while we hike, then when we find a spot to bed down we put it on the fire for 5 minutes.
>>
>>1040881
>no carbs=tired

When will this meme end?
>>
>>1039706
Enjoy your cancer from all of the Heterocyclic amines you're getting from cooked meat. Humans lived off vegetables until they were able to hunt, which was a big pay off and reward for their effort. Only eating meat is unnatural, and unhealthy.
>>
>>1040935
>vegan science
>>
>>1040935
What sort of fucked up diet is it that only eats barbecued meat?
>>
>>1040939
It's not vegan since lol.
>"Oh no, he's telling me to eat more fruits and vegetables, what a madman."
>>
>>1040947
That's not what you said at all.

You said that meat gives you cancer and modern humans evolved on a diet of vegetables.
Both statements are wrong and based on nothing more than vegan pseudoscience.
>>
>>1040956
Cooking meat creates HCA, which has been proven to cause cancer, if you don't want to believe in scientific facts I can't convince you, but you look foolish so please realize that. Secondly, Humans did rely on a diet of vegetables before they learned to hunt for meat, how the fuck else would they survive smart guy =]
>>
>>1040939
>vegan science
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cooked-meats-fact-sheet
>>
>>1040971
>However, the doses of HCAs and PAHs used in these studies were very high—equivalent to thousands of times the doses that a person would consume in a normal diet.
Steve Jobs says hi you malnourished hippy.
>>
>>1040984
OP does not have a normal diet, your point is irrelevant =]
>>
>>1040961
>>1040971

First things first; you are a nigger of the blackest order.

Second:

HCAs are only found in charred and burnt meat. No burnt meat = No HCA.

>HCA causes cancer in humans
There are zero links to Cancer in Humans caused by HCAs. Zero.
HCA are thought to be but not PROVEN carcinogenic in Humans - likely because the probability of you developing cancer from eating meat is minuscule.

All HCA links to Cancer were in tests conducted on rodents who were given THOUSANDS of times the amount of HCAs Humans consume over a lifetime.

It even says this in the article you posted, dumbass.

Pretty much proof you only read titles and Facebook posts.

But guess what's been proven to get rid of early stage cancer cells and is actually used as a treatment?
Don't guess. It's a rhetorical question.

The answer was a diet consisting only of fats or straight up fasting.

I have shit to do right now, but I'll BTFO you later on the second part.
>>
>>1040988
At worst he would get a couple dozen, I think Ketosis is a little dumb but vegans are kidding themselves thinking any net postive comes from psychological effects and calorie restriction.
>>
>>1040991
>HCAs are only found in charred and burnt meat. No burnt meat = No HCA.
This is a lie
>All HCA links to Cancer were in tests conducted on rodents who were given THOUSANDS of times the amount of HCAs Humans consume over a lifetime.
It is easy to eat 1000's of times the amount of HCA's when you have an American diet that consists of several times the recommended serving size of meat.
>But guess what's been proven to get rid of early stage cancer cells and is actually used as a treatment?
This is the very facebook meme science you accuse me of reading =]

After you're not busy masturbating to cartoon girls, please BTFO me lol
>>
>>1040992
I'm not shilling for veganism, i'm saying eating as much meat as OP is talking about is unhealthy and he should incorporate more fruits and vegetables in his diet than there is meat.
>>
>>1041003
They said normal diet and based their numbers around what people normally eat
>recommended serving size
Oh. You're retarded. Carry on.
>>
>>1041009
>Doesn't listen to nutritionists
>calls me retarded

Oh please do tell me more =]
>>
>>1041006
OP here, I have no idea what the fuck is going on in my thread but what I do know is there's a crazy amount of assumptions going on. And obviously a lot of people that are working off of knowledge of a poorly executed HFLC diet.

I eat plenty of fruit and veg. I have leafy greens every time I consume meat or cheese, and I eat complex carb vegetables non stop. At my last job half my co-workers thought I was vegetarian because I'd eat massive salads for lunch (With home made mayo and egg).

People got really confused when after months of thinking I was a vego, I'd sit down to a breakfast of bacon, eggs & cheese kransky.

High fat diets are not high protein diets. They are high fat. I can happily go on for a week on nothing but avocado for breakfast, egg and mayo salad for lunch, a couple of serves of cream cheese during the day and pretty well whatever pops up for dinner. If that sounds like too much meat for you I'd like to see what your diet is like.
>>
>>1041019
>Thing is I don't want to touch carbohydrates

Fruits and vegetables are full of carbohydrates, so i'm a little confused here.
>>
>>1041018
One look at the food guide pyramid makes it clear that nutritionists are retarded.
>>
>>1041024
>i'm a little confused here.
Seems to be a recurring theme with you, weather you realize it or not.

"...the personification of the devil as the symbol of all evil assumes the living shape of the Norwegian."
>>
>>1041018
Nutritionists don't make the food pyramid, bureaucrats and lobbyists do. The best thing most have to say about it is it won't kill you outright.
>>
>>1041024
Most vegetables are not full of simple carbohydrates. Starchy ones like pumpkin, yams, potatoes and such are. I eat them in moderation.

And fruits are full of sugar, yes. So I'll have fruit once every week or so in large quantity, and sporadically in small quantities throughout the week. So long as I don't eat enough to cause an insulin spike it's fine.

But that's different to being on a 5 day hike. I'd be more than happy with Macadamia nuts, but I can't eat more than a handful of nuts in a week because I get massive pimples on the inside of my thighs if I do.

>>1041025
Food pyramid says 22 slices of bread per day is fine. But I'm crazy for eating liver.
>>
>>1041033
>>1041025
>>1041036
No one ever mentioned the food pyramid besides you guys =]
>>1041032
Insulting others is a losers game, and it's obvious, see
>>1041036

He self admittedly made a misleading statement, so I was not wrong in my opinion based on his words. The only assumptions coming from people are on your ends, you see someone type serving size and automatically jump to conclusions.
>>
>>1041043
>He self admittedly made a misleading statement so I was not wrong in my opinion based on his words.
Your interpretation of his statement was incorrect, mainly due to a lack of knowledge of the subject matter on your part.

There are fruits that contain very little carbs/sugars.
Namely tomatoes, acocado, and some berries.

Same goes for pretty much every leafy vegetable, including spinach, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, etc.

"The Norwegian cries out in pain as he strikes you"
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.