[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the deal with paracord? Seems like a huge meme to me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: Bild 3.png (1MB, 1258x513px) Image search: [Google]
Bild 3.png
1MB, 1258x513px
What's the deal with paracord?
Seems like a huge meme to me.
>>
File: HTB1SIhfFVXXXXcXXXXXq6xXFXXXa.jpg (102KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
HTB1SIhfFVXXXXcXXXXXq6xXFXXXa.jpg
102KB, 700x700px
Why would anyone need fancy ropes on everything? What is their hidden practical purpose?
>>
>>1037672
i wrap it around my dick.
it's comfy and could be of use in an emergency.
>>
Because muh milspec and operator fantasies. People are retarded anon, but it's a good thing, when you see people wearing paracord bracelets and other shit you get the signal that said people isn't to be taken seriously.
>>
>>1037687
I wear TWO paracord bracelets. Does my attire bother you, Ladasha?
>>
>>1037672

I usually buy around fifty thousand feet of it, for like 100 bucks. It's sturdy, doesn't rot, can do multiple shot with it. That much for that low of a cost...I just can't complain about it.

Always surf online surplus the government does, you can get some amazing deals.
>>
>>1037672
your assumption was correct
>>
File: download_20160419_120835-L.jpg (68KB, 451x600px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160419_120835-L.jpg
68KB, 451x600px
Mule tape master race.
>>
It makes a fine clothesline or cordage to set up a tarp or if you're into autoerotic asphyxiation you can take it anywhere without raising suspicion
>>
>>1037699
>I wear TWO paracord bracelets.
m-m-m-mega cringe
>>
>>1037739
Yup. I love this stuff.
>>
>>1037748

Not as cringy as you. Caring about what another person wears...For shame.
>>
>>1037771
>Assessing a person's personality from the shit he wears is bad
>>
>>1037772
I also wear two watches. Does this mean I'm autistic?
>>
>>1037772

Grow up kid.
>>
>>1038061
yes
>>
>>1037672
It's cheap, readily available, strong enough for emergency rescue and general purpose cordage tasks, is quite UV stable and doesn't rot/mold/mildew, can be broken down into smaller rope/string for shit like lashing and fishing, has less stretch than other cheap and readily available ropes/cords, and comes in subdued colors.

It's the jack of all trades cordage. It's not the best but it's pretty goddamn versatile and it's cheap AF.
>>
>>1038103
Okay, that's a good reason to have regular nylon cordage in a pocket.

Why would you choose to carry it in a way that require 30 minutes to unpack? It look unpractical.
>>
>>1037739
I've used that shit to pull an f450 out of the mud before.
>>
>>1038061
Nail in the coffin.
>>
>>1038108
An educated guess is if you're wearing it as jewelry or otherwise on your body, it's not gonna get lost or left in your pack back at basecamp when you actually need it.

But mostly because memes and fashion.
>>
>>1037739
Thought i was the only one here that uses this stuff
>>
Overpriced string, still handy though. But let's not kid ourselves, most decent string will hold 550lbs.
>>
>>1037739
Is this polytape? Fence tape? How the fuck can you pull a truck with polytape?
>>
>>1038444
>overpriced
A quarter mile roll is $70. In order to go cheaper you're buying baling twine, which has a working load of about 30lbs and will stretch 200% of its original length under tension.
>>
>>1038444
>most decent string will hold 550lbs
lol fuck no. Most natural-fiber ropes (hemp, sisal, cotton, flax) won't hold 200lbs until you get over a half inch diameter. Most strings won't hold more than 50lbs, and most of them stretch a ton.
>things that can be reasonably considered string, that will hold 550lbs
-550 cord
-aramid weave marine cord
-amsteel
-??
>>
Tell me one thing that is better than paracord that is the same size and cost.
>>
>>1038480
It's not the paracord itself. OP is talking more it seems about the survival industry's obesseion over it.
>PARACORD BRACELET
>PARACORD WATCH
>PARACORD KEY
>PARACORD HOLSTER AND SHEATH
>PARACORD COVER
Etc

All of which takes a retarded amount of time to deploy.
All advertised for the idea of having 5 feet of paracord in your edc incase muh sudden shtf.
"Survivalists" love this shit yet don't even know how to tie most basic knots.

Paracord is great but just keep a 100ft bundle or 2 in your backpack, not 50ft of it separated into 10ft increments, strapped all over your body in the form of accessories and jewelry
>>
File: 1463455603196.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1463455603196.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
only the bracelets are a meme
>>
>>1038108
I think the idea is that you don't unpack it casually, it's just more of an insurance policy. If my knife has paracord for a handle, I'm not going to unwrap that if I need paracord casually. I will be happy if I have a knife plus paracord in a survival type situation-- or I guess that's the thinking?
>>
>>1038511
Then, you don't simply loose time, you also have to use a knife without an handle. Not very practical.

If you have your knife, it mean you had time to go to gather your SHTF stuff, so it mean you have your bob too.
>>
>>1038103

>less stretch

Stretches more than even shitty poly rope. Sags badly when wet, which is a real fucker if you've used it for guy lines.
>>
>>1038073
>>1038341
How else are you supposed to tell time when your arm gets blown off ?
>>
>>1038529
hey I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm just trying to figure out the use myself.
>>
>>1038560
Good point. I guess I'm gonna start wearing watches on both legs as well now.
>>
>>1037699
You probably take two dicks in your ass as well
>>
>>1038534
That's not been my experience.

Yes it stretches. No it does not stretch anywhere near as bad as the various braided poly ropes 3-4x its diameter.

I suppose if you were willing to quadruple the weight and quintuple the bulk you could go with like a half-inch diameter poly rope and get less stretch, but then you're solidly into rope territory and not string/cord.
>>
>>1038498
Ah, yeah that is super gay...but I can kind of understand it. If you can get some goofy fuck to spend $20 on a paracord bracelet that has .02$ worth the materials in it, I can't hardly blame them. They did/do the same shit with all the cringey zombie stuff. Nothing like seeing Hornaday zombie rounds sitting on the shelves or a Ka-Bar zombie slashing knife.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.