[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys do it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_1047.jpg (2MB, 2546x2546px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1047.jpg
2MB, 2546x2546px
I'm new to /out/ and have never really put any thought into going hiking/camping and such.

I've had an absolutely horrid past few months socially, and I'm looking to just get away from social media/family for a weekend, or even just have something to do when I get fed up.

What motivates you guys to go innawoods alone? I have plenty of woods around me I could easily go to, but how does one stay hyped and not bail out once the sun starts going down?

Also, overnight camping off the campsite is technically illegal in a lot of the places I go hiking nearby, how does one deal with this?

Any advice or discussion would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1036343
Stealth camping can be an option. Read up about it, and use your own discretion.
As for motivation, personally I just prefer the outdoors and being alone. No super special reason. I don't experience it as 'hype.' I take lots of pictures though, that can be rewarding.
>>
>>1036343
>What motivates you guys to go innawoods alone?
curiosity.

i work a white collar 9 to 5. live in a huge metro area, so i like to disconnect on the weekends.

i started /out/ perpetually. first it was day hikes only. then day hikes + tent camping in heavy use campgrounds. then twnt camping in "wilderness" campgrounds. then 24 hour backpacking.. 48 hour backpacking.. 72 hour backpacking..

truth be told, i never go alone.
>>
>>1036343
>how does one deal with this?
You don't be a dick by camping where you aren't supposed to
>>
>>1036343
I don't like going alone, but I do it because I want to eventually live /out/ and I don't think my friends want to join me.
>>
>>1036343
Do you have anxiety? Sounds like you just need to try it for a couple days
>>
>>1036343
>Also, overnight camping off the campsite is technically illegal in a lot of the places I go hiking nearby, how does one deal with this?

Last weekend I camped in an actual campsite for the first time in years. And the only reason I did it was because I was taking my parents "out"

When solo I always camp in random spots and have never had any issue. The key to success is camping somewhere people aren't going to be. There aren't gangs of guards patrolling the countryside. At least not round here, nor any of the other countries I have done it (Italy, France, Ireland, Germany, Sardinia, UK). On the off chance someone does find me I am pretty confident that being polite and talking to the person is, at worst, going to end up in them asking you to move on.

I used to not light camp fires when doing this but now I've stopped caring and have one. I just keep it small and in the morning take an extra bit of time to hide the evidence. Unless I am somewhere hot and dry where having a campfire is really dumb.

>What motivates you guys to go innawoods alone?
It's just super relaxing. Drink a beer or two, maybe smoke a little hash and just watch the fire, listen to the birds or read. One of the main reasons I like camping is that is resets my body clock. I end up going to bed not too long after the sun goes down and wake up early.
If I am hiking then I am usually pretty wrecked by the end of the day so I tend to just eat some food, stretch then go straight to sleep.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 1456x819px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 1456x819px
>>1036602
A couple of shots of random campsites, all in countries where it is technically illegal to wild camp.
>>
File: 2.jpg (1MB, 1456x819px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1MB, 1456x819px
>>1036605
>>
File: 3.jpg (2MB, 1456x819px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2MB, 1456x819px
>>1036608
>>
File: 1438963592241.jpg (440KB, 1123x806px) Image search: [Google]
1438963592241.jpg
440KB, 1123x806px
>>1036343
just get up in the morning and go do it.

but to get the most enjoyment/appreciation out of it, make sure you at least start off with good hiking clothes, especially boots/shoes. do not skimp on your footware. if your feet are miserable, your miserable and there's no fixing it without going back home

Secondly, after footware, make sure you have ability to get through times during hike with rainy wet conditions and stay mostly dry.
getting soaked can also ruin things for you.
So this means goretex jacket or poncho or rain jacket & rain pants (packable lightweight kind you can bring with you just in case)

Bring enough food and water, and/or a water purifier. extra socks, flash light, knife, a way to make fire.

Even for a day hike, bring enough of the right stuff with you to be able to survive comfortably over nite if need be.

Maybe just start off with long day hikes and work your way towards overniters after you get used to hiking long distances while carrying some things in your backpack.

Plan your trips by finding nearby points of interest in the woods that give you a goal or destination. Like a high mountain peak, or some special waterfall or back country lake or river spot.

It can be kind of boring, for some people anyways, to just walk through the woods with no special scenery or destination.

Leave all your electronic gadgets like phone and mp3 player at home or in the car. Being in the woods while listening to the radio or mp3 music is pointless and ruins the communion with nature.

you need to be able to really soak in the nature, smell the forest and listen to the sounds of the birds and the wind in the trees
>>
>>1036609
comfy/10
>>
>>1036343
I think goals could be useful to motivate your hikes, like reaching a peek or a cave, foraging for mushrooms etc...
>>
I've realized that most of fears and anxieties have to do with other people. When I get out into the woods alone all of that just washes away. My problems become irrelevant because it's only me. I turn into a child again, making noises at birds, stopping to look at mushrooms, and just allowing a sense of unpretentious wonder to overtake me. Without the presence of other people to observe me I get to simply be in an unconscious and secure way. It's the only relief I can find. The hard part isn't getting up the mountain, the hard part is working up the courage to go back down into the world.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.