[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpacking Food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: messkit.jpg (192KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
messkit.jpg
192KB, 1500x1500px
I'm trying to figure out what to eat for dinner meals over 2 nights on a backpacking trip. Also, I need cookware to cook whatever I will be making...I currently only have a cheap ass 5 piece kit that won't do much I think (pic related). I'm trying to avoid the bag meals.

Does anyone have any ideas of some tasty hot meals to make while /out/ solo?
>>
>>1036232
That depends on what you're willing to do and whether you have the capability and weight tolerance to take fresh/refrigerated ingredients with you.

The kit you have now, throw everything but the pot and its lid in the closet. The pot suffices for 99.9% of everything you'll eat while /out/.

As for meals:
>just requires boiling water
-Mac n' cheese (can add shit to it as you like, diced spam or precooked brats or kielbasa/smoked sausage always goes well).
-instant mashed potatoes
-any of the various pastas (including ramen), take a small bottle of olive oil and dried basil/"italian seasoning" with you to toss it with so you can go sauceless for less mess and weight (can also add shelf-stable pepperoni slices)
-the various canned soups and stews

>requires some level of actual cooking
-au gratin or scalloped potatoes (I advise against this since you'll spend forever scrubbing all the burnt cheese out of the pot)
-fried/sautee'd spam
-the various dehydrated soup/stew mixes
-the boxed rice dishes like red beans n' rice or jambalaya (can add meat to it)

>can be cooked over open fire
-hotdogs/brats/smoked sausages/kielbasa onna stick
-fresh-caught fish, whole
-chicken breasts and thighs onna stick (takes forever)
-marshmallows
>>
No need to buy cookware, bring some hot dogs, potatoes, cheese, butter, an onion and some foil wrap that shit up and put it in the coals and cook yo weenies on a sapling. Delish
>>
>>1036232
depending on the temperature you can probably cook all of your meals at home.

make something acidic like spaghetti sauce or chilli, up to around 20C the food will keep for a whole weekend(up to sunday night).

you can keep waterproof tupperware in streams to cool it down if youre not travelling far combat higher heat.
>>
File: 14972296357751244696910.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
14972296357751244696910.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Pasta with pesto and/or cured meat like salami.

Ramen noodles with peanut butter, sweet chili sauce and soy sauce.

Rehydrated potatoes with cheese (pre-grate it) and cured meat.

Stock cubes, soup pasta, herbs and cured meat chunks.

I fucking love salami, high protein and high fat makes it delicious and packed with energy.

>posting from /out/ with kiddo
>>
How are the German mess kit? I've heard they're one of the better ones out there
>>1036295
This sounds like a good option too
>>
>>1036295
Aren't they called hobo dinners? They're pretty awesome whatever they're called.

If you're backpacking all that food can be a little heavy, but it's really good.

>>1036232
Honestly OP the bag meals are really good, they taste pretty nice and preparation and clean up is easy. I eat them all the time on the trail.

Makeyourgear.com sells individual dehydrated foods, so you can make your own recipe. They have all kinds of veggies and meats and even small packets of seasoning and stuff. They also sell cheap bowl bags that you can use. Basically it's like a mountain house bag meal but you can make whatever you want.

Also, packet gourmet makes awesome dehydrated stuff.
>>
>>1036232
I've used some stuff from trailcooking.com
Simple rice and beans goes a long way.
>>
>>1036349
>Makeyourgear.com

Damn anon, thank you, I've been needing pretty much this exact website for all kinds of DIY stuff I wanna try.

Here's a couple of good food and cooking videos from HPG that gave me some good direction.

Cook systems: https://youtu.be/NWEspltL7c4?list=PLaHEtpAYzpjKWHWTqbC-Z6f8F8nyYiVDY

Food and cooking: https://youtu.be/IRUV776CbZc?list=PLaHEtpAYzpjIl0L_PnxEAoNgCnC6_RwGe (talks about 'one pot' cooking which is basically the freezer bag method for people who don't want plastic, still easy clean up)

Btw, off topic, but HPG also has comfy as hell videos of different hikes they go on.
>>
>>1036414
saved that video, will try and copy that system soon. Love the nesting ability and simplicity. thank you desu
>>
>>1036232

My go to solo one-pot, just add water, meals are:

- Idahoan potatoes + Oscar Mayer real bacon pieces
- Knorr rice mix + package tuna/chicken + pepper

Of course I have other things but those are easy and quick and tasty.
>>
sup oppo. I have the same tin cookware, be sure to bring an oven mitt

How I tend to pack food for hikes

Breakfast - instant Coffee, Bananas, and oatmeal or something using yesterday's uncleaned pot
Snacks - Ukrainian Sausage, trail mix, snack bars
Dinner - Instant rice mix with cold brewed tea, chips
>>
I like amaranth for trail cooking. Healthy, calorie dense, and you don't have to rinse it like you do with quinoa.
>>
I just bring tins of tuna and bars

No need to cook
>>
I'm thinking about bringing some pasta and pesto. What size pot will be good enough to cook pasta in?
>>
>>1039895
>literally can't cook pasta in a pot
SHIG
>>
File: 1467917672005.png (3MB, 1348x5196px) Image search: [Google]
1467917672005.png
3MB, 1348x5196px
>>1036414
If it is a 2 day trip use a regular gas stove unless you are going ultralight and have alot of patience.
Esbit/alcohol for ultralight short trips
Gas for normal camping
Liquid fuel stoves (non alcohol) for hard conditions
Jet stoves if you are rich or also going in hard conditions or are really inpatient
Wood for chilling with mates and very long trips in normal woody areas

>Pic related
I use the Coleman F1 lite and it works a charm, simple, light as fuck and if you pair it for a gas can suited to the length of your trip (small can small trip, big can long trip), it is perfect.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.