[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No bikepacking thread? Lets fix that right away.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

No bikepacking thread? Lets fix that right away.
>>
I was going to go bike camping this weekend but I changed my mind at the last minute
>>
File: 20170611_091347.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_091347.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>1035995

I guess this belongs here.
>>
Bikepacking seems like it is up my alley, but I'm not really sure what to look for in a bike.

Anybody got any suggestions? Not looking to spend more than $800 or so.
>>
>>1036033
90s mountain bike with slick tires
>>
>>1035995
I still don't understand why people want a saddle bag, frame pack, handlebar roll, shit strapped onto the forks, wedge bags, a backpack.... and have less capacity and none of the convenience of panniers. I think lightweight panniers will become the next fad everyone goes after. Ortlieb is already making a pair of bikepacking panniers.
>>
>>1036175
It's mostly an offroad thing I think. Racks don't work well with suspension, and you don't have panniers hanging low and to the side to catch on things.
>>
Does motorcycle packing count?

I've been saving for a bike to get me further /out/, looking at a used DR 650 or Honda XR650
>>
File: Suzuha_original.jpg (446KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Suzuha_original.jpg
446KB, 1500x1000px
>>1036033
used stuff is they way to go, you can get some good stuff for 800$ + you get to learn bicycle maintenance which will come in handy when you are out on the road.
I recommend a rigid/hardtail mtb or a road bike with bigger tiers for extra stability. if you mainly are going to ride on paved road switching to slick or semi slick tires on the mtb will do wonders.
>>
File: tumblr_ojj2gkZH2n1teqokwo1_1280.jpg (321KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojj2gkZH2n1teqokwo1_1280.jpg
321KB, 1000x1000px
Aww yis.

I haven't done any this year, but my rig is all the way to the right in this pic. I've since converted it to a KramPug (29+ wheels instead of fatties), ditched the panniers and 8-pack rack in favor or a seatpack and a 24 pack porteur rack (with surly porteur house bag), and that's about it.

It's gonna be good.
>>
>>1036033
>>1036044

go with something semi slick like rackings or maxis ardent like in the OP pic and your done
>>
>>1036175

nobody need the room a real pannier setup offers.

also a bikepacking setup dosen't interfere with the bikes handling as much.

however.
use whatever you want as long as you use it.
>>
>>1036044
Did that just 2 weeks ago, without knowing its a good choice. Lucky me.
Anything I need I would pack on normal hiking trips? Any spare parts I should carry besides tubes?
>>
>>1036885
Don't bring tubes if it's a short trip, patch kit will do.

Spare parts? depends on the length of the tour. And mostly anything can be picked up locally if your in the developed world. Lube the chain a few times a week. The chain stretches somewhere after 2000km and needs to be replaced.
>>
>>1036894
>Don't bring tubes if it's a short trip, patch kit will do
Bad idea. I always bring both even on grocery runs. Patches won't help if you break a valve stem or get a blowout that's too big to patch, both of which happen more often with the shitty chink tubes most places sell these days. And I once had a day with more flats than I had spare tubes. Patching at the side of the road makes you more likely to rush and end up with a patch that comes off.
>>
File: 1496980521038.gif (4MB, 313x238px) Image search: [Google]
1496980521038.gif
4MB, 313x238px
>>1037133
>>1037173
Gonna have to agree with the yes-tubers on this. Beware of retards like >>1036894 in the cycling world, they will give you bad advice on all kinds of crazy shit!
>>
Post models/names of the bikes that are well fit for long trips. Thanks! I'm pretty new in this and planning to buy a better bicycle.
>>
File: bike.jpg (41KB, 359x640px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
41KB, 359x640px
>>1035995
OP what bike is that? Looks sick. Here's the bike I've been beating the shit out of since college and as you can see the front tire is flat as fuck. I've replaced the tube several times but it always goes flat within the day. Am I missing something? What do you dudes think is the problem?
>>
>>1036175
Panniers mess with the balance of the bike and add to the wind resistance by sticking out more. The other options are advantageous because they ride with the weight of the bike.
>>
>>1035995
that's a cool looking bike. what genre of bike is it?
>>
>>1037802

Spin bike stats are always a blatant lie.
I do warmup intervals on one that claims I am going 35mph.

Your girlfriend is pushing 150 watts at the absolute most, which puts her well above the average female cyclist. If you doubt it, go for a ride out in the real world and watch fat old men blow by you all day.
>>
>>1037852
>>1037852

>drunk on a Tuesday night
>delusions of athleticism
>delusions of GF

Too obvious.
Or if even remotely inspired by true events, definitely not for much longer. For either of you.
>>
>>1037847
>division 1 in rowing

*women's
>>
>>1037863
So basically a tier between the special olympics and paralympics.
>>
File: NJD7C_d.jpg (55KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
NJD7C_d.jpg
55KB, 640x440px
>>1037847
Spandex is comfy and makes your butt look cute, I usually wear a pair of shorts over when I am in public but traveling in it is great since you don't need underwear.
>>1037862
Being drunk on a weekday is okay if you are on vacation
>>
>>1037799
looks like some kind of CX bike to me
>>
>>1037964
Back when I was a bike messenger I got drunk most weeknights and rode it off the next day.
>>
>>1037740
Kona unit with gears and drop bar.
>>
>>1037727
Poor doggo :(
>>
>>1037740
You probably have something suck in your tire, remove the tire and feel the inside until you find it if it leaves a large hole you want to replace the tire, a smaller hole can be fixed with the glue you find in tire patch kits.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.