[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /out/landers, How do I get a job at a sailboat? How do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0213.jpg (173KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0213.jpg
173KB, 957x1300px
Hey /out/landers,

How do I get a job at a sailboat? How do i get training for something like that? and is there a way for me to buy my own?

Thanks

>pic very related
>>
>>1035462
>Go to Monaco
>Go around asking

There.
>>
>>1035462
>and is there a way for me to buy my own?
Yes. With money.
>>
Join a yacht club.
Do a sailing course.
Get a good job and buy a boat or shmoose some old person for theirs.
And most importantly:
Google something for 5 seconds instead of making a thread. You wouldn't have even had to enter a capcha.
>>
Here in Estonia we have a school for this kind of stuff. Basically you'll get a license or some shit to operate a small ship, literal translation would be 'small ship operator', which I'd guess sailboats qualify under. I'm sure any country with a seaborder would have these schools, so just look into that. Also jobwise, my friend finished the school and is now a sailboat captain in the Baltic Sea.
>>
>>1035462
>is there a way for me to buy my own?
>>>/biz/
>>
There's a site where boat owners look for paid/unpaid crew with or without experience.
I think its findacrew dot something.

Unpaid positions basically consist of you cleaning shit around the boat, and standing watch for icebergs, pirates, weaponized dolphin, etc in exchange for passage.
You also might possibly maybe get to learn stuff.

If you live near a port, you can ask visiting boats for passage to somewhere.
Small boats rarely ever hire or take on crew.

But tallships take on new crew all the time.

Protip: Don't be fat.
>>
>>1035462
>and is there a way for me to buy my own?
Yes. Look around on craigslist and sailboatlistings to see what you'd want. I bought a Force 5 off of craigslist in late March and have been sailing on lakes around my house since. I'd recommend taking a class or two first unless you have prior experience.
>>
>>1035462
>How do I get a job AT a sailboat?
Type "How do I get a job on a boat" into google. Follow the steps it tells you.

>Is there a way for me to buy my own?
No, sailboats fall into the property category of Contracted Untransactional Commodity Kept. Basically, any attempt to buy or use a KEK is strictly prohibited by international agreements and sanctions ensuring no KEK is used by someone unqualified. Any attempt to sell the boat, or to un-KEK oneself may result in jail time- light duty, usually done in a small isolation unit referred to as a SHED. You don't want to be KEKED or wind up in the SHED so I suggest you drop all this illicit talk about getting KEKed and maybe finish highschool.

>you have to be 18 or over to post here.
>>
>>1036383
what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>1036530
some jew "kek" hating bullshit

these redditspam fags have been all lver here for weeks at a time
>>
File: sailing catamaran.jpg (23KB, 400x318px) Image search: [Google]
sailing catamaran.jpg
23KB, 400x318px
>>1035462
That depends what you want to do?
you could easily find a job charter fishing where I live although i doubt you'll be going around on a sailboat unless it's super touristy. Another option is work with an outfitter for tourists but regardless you'll find yourself in a tourist industry. Either way you'll need a license for whatever sized craft.

I advise against buying a boat unless you have a large amount of disposable income. A friend of mine has owned many boats and buying a boat is not a sound investment, every time you take it out it'll cost you. generally a boat is a hole in the water you put money in.

if having a boat would be rewarding for you go for it, who am I to tell you how to live your life. It's not a smart idea but people do it anyways.

It's better to invest in a kayak or a small sailing catamaran. I had one when I was in sea scouts and it let me go out on day trips out of the Flamingo and around Biscayne bay.
>pic related

Also make sure you can haul whatever water craft you decide to get.
>>
>>1035621
Fuck is a weaponised dolphin
>>
>>1035621
Crewfinder dawtz cum
>>
>>1035462
>deliver sailboats.
or
>get a captains license
>>
File: 1373567101048.gif (500KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1373567101048.gif
500KB, 500x281px
>tfw just bought a Laser for $1800 on Craigslist

I'm so stoked
>>
So your saying that people will let you travel on their sailboat for free, as long as you help out?
>>
>>1039291
If you know what you're doing, yeah. I was on an 80 year old schooner all weekend and I was running around trimming sheets and shit the whole time
>>
If I could outright buy a nice, newly refited 40' yacht, could I in theory pay next to nothing for living on a comfy boat?

>Buy bulk bags of rice and flour and shit
>Take the boat out somewhere sunny, chill out and fish all day
>Come back to town and sell fish for tidy profit
>Beholden to no one, pay fuck all tax
>Can go anywhere you want for free with sails and time

With sufficient off grid equipment like solar panels, batteries,water distiller, large fuel and water tank, etc... Can it be done?
>>
>>1041243
>tidy profit

It would not be tidy.
>>
>>1041598
Selling fresh caught fish to the local wanky organic market has got to be at least 10 bucks a fish right? It would be a fucking joke to catch enough seafood to make up the bulk of your diet and have 15-20 fish left which you put on ice for a few days. Especially on open waters out here where you can just drop a line with bunch of hooks off the back, sail around and bag a few fish for fuck all work. Got to be at least 100-200 a week which is heaps to live on when the only thing I would be paying for is bulk bags of shit to last months and some fuel/lpg refills which will also last a long time since solar power and batteries cover most of my everyday use.
>>
>>1039136
>Craigslist
R.I.P. anon
>>
>>1041641
Nah son I made it. Thing's in fantastic shape, he sailed it maybe half a dozen times. Came with an upgraded cunningham and vang too. guy even sold me his launch dolly for an extra $150.

Took her out for a couple hours today and loved every second
>>
>>1035462
Go to your nearest yacht club and find someone who needs crew for weekend racing you learn lots and may even meet someone who knows someone who needs crew for a passage. Alternatively, pay to get skippers certificate
>>
File: 4988528099_b25c04f2de_z.jpg (103KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
4988528099_b25c04f2de_z.jpg
103KB, 640x427px
>>1039136
Wear a life jacket.
>>
>>1042041
I do
>>
>>1036143
This, i got an amazing buehler jet boat for a steal of a price. Just look at the listings around you every so often.
>>
>>1035462

I know a girl who did this. She was a political campaign staffer, so on off years she was unemployed. One year she just went to the Caribbean and spent all her time hanging out at bars and on the beach.

Anyway, she's at a bar when she meets a bunch of guys. Turns out that they are professional racing yacht crew. They offer her a job, and for the rest of the year that's what she did.

It was about an hour or two of real work (cleaning, mostly) and the rest was just laying on the deck in her bikini and hanging out in port. She saw basically every island and had the time of her life.

Now, here's the catch. She was female, mid 20s, hot as fuck, and with a very magnetic personality. She could be in a room filled with big drunk men and be in charge within a few minutes.

So those jobs are out there, but odds are you aren't going to get one. If you're male, less attractive, less dominant, or older, then you need real skills to be worth hiring. And that means learning them in a school or from a pro.
>>
Learn basic skills on a small boat. They translate up to the bigger yachts. Maybe find some crews who are just looking for an extra hand, even below deck you can be useful.

Sailors can be an insular bunch, because everyone knows everyone and word gets around, but if you can break in you're golden. I got in with a schooner captain through a combination of small boat skills, knowing the right people, and a pinch of bullshit, and now I have a standing invite to help crew a 75-footer when they have a charter or a race
>>
>>1041632
>he thinks people will just buy food from any rando on the street

Also you need licenses for that shit mane
>>
>>1047273
>Look this up
>Need licences and licences and licences and gps trackers fitted to your boat to catch a handful of fish and sell them
>Meanwhile big fishing companies are busy overfishing the fuck out of fish stocks and lying through their teeth about it

Fucking Jesus man I am tired of this shit. You can't even go out to sea, catch some shit and sell it to a fishmonger anymore without some fat cunts taxing you to death and getting all up in your private business.
>>
>>1047319
is this what its like in america?
here in australia you are literally allowed to go out on your sailboat and fish to your hearts content, you can literally do the same thing those industrial fishing ships do, you cant sell anything commercially, but if its only a dozen fish that will probably slip under the governments radar.
>>
>>1049146
Yeah, in the US it's pretty much the same, recreational licences are incredibly cheap, but you just can't sell any of the fish you caught, if you do you better have some lube for when the state decides to ream your ass for not having a commercial licence, which are priced just so you would really need to fish full time to be able to have a positive income with one.
>>
Fuck guys, I just came down with boat fever and I dont know shit about boats.
I hope I dont impulsively buy a falling apart yacht on ebay :(
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.