[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gear Thead #2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 55

File: 1495152199114.jpg (120KB, 676x442px) Image search: [Google]
1495152199114.jpg
120KB, 676x442px
Let's talk gear, again.
>>
Planning on taking this on a month-long hiking trip through Scotland. Some pieces of pine, bbq-starters and a regular Zippo. I also bought this fire granulate but after fucking around with it today it didn't seem special.

Any experiences with this shit?
>>
>>1035208
For hiking, I'd sooner take a bic lighter. They're not as sexy, but Zippo lighters have no valve system, so your fuel will evaporate over time. That's not an issue with bic.
>>
>>1035220
Cheers to that, I'll take one or two bics. Thanks for educating me.
>>
>>1035221
No problem, m8.
>>
File: pemanent match.jpg (135KB, 1200x1200px)
pemanent match.jpg
135KB, 1200x1200px
>>1035208
i agree with >>1035220
is you really want a wick/ fuel lighter take a permanent match with good seals. that won't leak or evaporate as fast.

also depending on what you gear is made from leaked fuel might dissolve the plastic fabric or rubber of the rain protection.

i like the cube things in your pic i have them as back up in a tiny waterproof container. they soak other fuel well. like from my alcohol stove.
>>
>>1035208
this looks like a bunch of dog treats
>>1035220
no kidding, wow. thanks anon
>>
I do a lot of backpacking and camping in places I cannot hang a hammock (above the tree line, on sandbars while kayaking, innadesert, etc).

I want a shelter that is light and compact, big enough for me and my pack. Must have a floor, and the floor must be fairly puncture resistant (I camp around a lot of tiny cacti).

Budget of up to $600 for the full setup, including footprint.

What are my options?
>>
>>1035256
any 100-200usd 1 person tube tent will do. Throw in a tarpaulin for a rugged ground (begs the question why you'd sleep there though) or use as additional protection from the rain.
I'd skip the tarpaulin though, you can fix the ground and the rain is comfy.
>>
>>1035256
Tyvek groundsheet. Bivy on top of that for cowboy camping. Add a light tarp for rain protection.
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1035205
R8
>>
>>1035436
>cat food
>graphing calculators
>empty calories
Am I being rused here?
>>
>>1035440
What, you don't go camping with a reciprocating saw and a back up just in case?
>>
>>1035440
This >>1035442

Also 3 beanies
>>
>>1035436
That's a nice meme you got there
>>
>>1035436
Well memed, but I don't see a spare duct tape roll. That's essential, fuckface
>>
>>1035436
I can tell you're not actually Dutch by the way you capitalize your last name.

Just wanted to say that.

I'm lonely.
>>
>>1035485
Me too, wanna spoon?
>>
>>1035488
Daddy take me in my Eureka! Solitaire tent tonight! I'm make you Mountain House scrambled eggs for breakfast with my new titanium stove.
>>
>>1035391
I do my best to avoid pokey shit but I'm not always successful. The cacti in Wyoming are pretty easy to overlook since they're about the size of a silver dollar.

I've used tube tents before and found them severely lacking in most areas (weight, weather resistance, bug resistance, packed size).
>>1035418
I need bug protection too. I have been tempted to get a bivvy bag that has a bugnet and a small rain fly though.
>>
>>1035490
Stop, I can only get so erect
>>
File: IMG_0741.jpg (578KB, 1936x1452px)
IMG_0741.jpg
578KB, 1936x1452px
>>1035484
Kek, I will remember that for the next one.
>>
Last week I went to do some jungle trails. My shoes stayed dry through all the mud and stream crossings which was amazing but they ultimately got wet because of my sweat running down my legs into my socks. How do you stop shit like this?
>>
>>1035564
Taller socks and antiperspirant on your feet/ankles.
>>
File: gear.png (38KB, 680x453px)
gear.png
38KB, 680x453px
Since gear threads are gonna be a normal thing from here on out, I made a memey version of the OP image that we can customize and mess around with for more flavor.
>>
>>1035570
nice Paint skill anon
>>
>>1035854
I am le epic meme-smith xDDDDDD
>>
>>1035509
Look into Borah Gear bivys. Hand-made in America, light, bug protection, different models and reasonably priced. Great stuff.
>>
Probably not best thread, but I don't want to take place on board for my bullshit.
In previous thread I asked about cheap(est) way for sleeping outdoors and I was thinking about tarp+blanket, people pointed out that I would have to deal with bugs, rats and whatever the fuck may crawl on the ground, so I came up with idea.
What about sleeping on the trees, is that feasible?
All I would need is rope, anti-bug spray and tarp to cover myself from rain.
>>
>>1036108
You might as well just get a hammock at that point. They're like 30 bucks on Amazon for a functional one.
>>
Anyone own a Yeti cooler? I've been thinking about picking one up but the price is kinda steep. I'm looking for a new cooler to take camping.
>>
>>1036071
>argon 67 or argon 90
eeeh...probably won't hold up to my use, but looks nice.

Also..
>out of stock until further notice
Also also...
>no prices listed
>>
>>1036128
Get a coleman what the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>1036128
Yes, I've got a Tundra 75. I like it but never would have paid for it (won it in a DU raffle).

They work as advertized. Be aware the reason they work is the walls are like 3" thick foam under the plastic, and as a result they're heavy as fuck even empty and they have much lower capacity than their size would indicate (the roadie 20 will only hold a 6-pack of cans and half a bag of ice or 4 beer bottles and half a bag of ice). They're horribly overpriced and require a specialty ($20) bracket to be able to lock to something, and the drain plug is neither tethered nor insulated.

IMO the Igloo Sportsman is the better over-all cooler. Same general design, insulated and tethered drain plug, drain can be attached to a standard garden hose for cleaning or aeration, can be locked to shit with a regular padlock or bike lock, ~40% cheaper (a 55 quart is only $220 instead of $400)
>>
File: 675LG.jpg (80KB, 600x600px)
675LG.jpg
80KB, 600x600px
These are 10/10
>>
>>1036117
Yeah, but you need to find two trees being close enough and you're still in sight of land animals and people.
The hammock idea still sounds fairly good.
>>
File: sturmgepack.jpg (378KB, 630x700px)
sturmgepack.jpg
378KB, 630x700px
I'm thinking about getting the German combat pack from Varusteleka as a little day pack/run-around bag. It's about ten liters and cheap as heck. Anybody have experience with this thing? Are there better options for a similar price?
>>
Anyone use a kukri? where do I find a good one? what length would anyone recommend?
>>
>>1036746
Suyo long, if you need to hit that prostate
>>
>>1035208
>Light My Fire TinderSticks

when you got so much money you bring store bought firewood innawoods
>>
Literally /clueless/ here, want to get an affordable bag that's also decent and not Asda-tier, only been camping once or twice and I hated it because I was in £10 sleeping bags that were frigid even in the summer. Going to slowly start accumulating some gear so I can hopefully get out for my first solo overnighter some time next year.

>Is Snugpak a decent brand?

>I know you aren't supposed to keep down bags (or down anything) stored compressed for extended periods. Does this extend to synthetic/polyester bags as well? Is it safe to keep them in their stuff sack/compression bag but with the compression straps unfastened?

Looking at their £50 bag, which is still fairly fucking expensive if you ask me, but it's nothing compared to the £400 ones all the camping websites that are after that sweet, sweet ad revenue are promoting.
>>
>>1035455
What about the sex wax?
>>
>>1036847
Snugpak make great bivvy bags and some excellent tents. I've got the 1-2 season sleeping bag and it's worth the money. So yes, good value, I'd say.
>>
>>1035440
How does nobdy realize its fucking pepsi? Am I being rused here?
>>
>>1036847
I have snugpak's tactical 2 and love it. A little heavy but it packs down small and is a good tough, warm, sleeping bag.

If possible store any equipment as loose as possible. With sleeping bags you can just buy some larger, cheap draw string bags or something. I tend to just keep mine draped around my room. Apart from my expensive stuff then I have bought storage sacks or they came with one.
>>
Nalgene caps are interchangeable with Camelbak bottles, and vice versa.

Question is would the nalgene sipper fit in a camelbak bottle opening? I'm not sure exactly how the sipper fits, if there's a lip in the nalgene bottle for it to sit in or if it's just friction.

It's a minor issue and I'm probably not going to spend £7 on a nalgene sipper but I'd still like to know.
>>
>>1036896
Would a 45L box be suitable? I don't have a lot of storage space, like a door or wardrobe to hang it in, but I have some room underneath my bed with plenty of those boxes, some empty since I cleaned them out.
>>
>>1036828
>when you plan on backpacking in scotland where they dont have the specific type of pine that lights easly with a flint and steel
>when you cant carry a hatchet or knife because youre going to scotland by airplane
>>
nOOb here, building my kit and now I'm trying to figure out what I should go with for cooking, lightweight propane burner w/pan/pot or sterno gel burner with pan/pot?
Propane vs Sterno gel?
>>
>>1035509
Tarptent has a few good options, but you'd want a groundsheet of some sort.
>>
Anyone have experience/recommendations for portable shower setups to take on car camping trips?
>>
Is this pack worth a buy?
>>
>>1036982
Thanks, I found them earlier and the Protrail is a contender at 26oz.
The other one I'm looking hard at is MSR's Carbon Reflex 1, which is 23oz and is freestanding. The Protrail has a slightly bigger vestibule but the Carbon Reflex has more livable space and a "big enough" vestibule, plus is freestanding so I don't have to worry about trekking poles or wind.

I use trekking poles regardless due to fugged knees, and I'll use a groundsheet regardless because I don't like thrashing nice gear in a season or two.

>>1036986
A DIY one with a 5 gallon bucket painted black and a section of pocket hose with a cheapo spray nozzle on the end. Even if you have to buy the bucket new it'll be like $15, and it's still a bucket when empty.

>>1036989
If it fits you, yes. They're great value packs. Although that's a pretty loud color.
>>
File: gorka.jpg (33KB, 503x539px)
gorka.jpg
33KB, 503x539px
Two question about Gorkas
1) Is there much of a difference between them aside from color pattern and weight as in- are all gorkas created equal or are some better quality while others are shit quality?
2) Where is the best place to get them (including shipping) in the US?
>>
>>1036989
I know a lot of people who are very satisfied with Osprey packs. I would say, experiment with shelters, bags, and misc gear. Don't cheap out on footwear or backpacks- that's what you rely on to get the hell out when things go bad.
>>
>>1036989
I have a kestrel 38 and love it. It's a simple lightweight quality pack.
>>
Currently in the market for an inflatable sleeping mat, and I'm thinking of dropping a packet on a neoair xtherm max, but is it really worth the cash?
I'm a side-sleeper and have read that the neoair series is best to accommodate that, given their thickness. Right now I'm hiking in and around Australia, but would like to head to colder regions in the future, so my current reasoning is that I can just buy a good one now, and save the purchase later. Can pick one up on ebay for 230 AUD. Thoughts?
>>
>>1037106
Define colder.

An uninsulated air pad (R value </= 1.5) is perfectly comfortable for tent camping down to around 5*C, or 0*C with the right bag. An R value of around 3 is comfy down to around -5*C with an appropriate bag. Side sleepers might be able to push that a little farther comfortably since there's less of you touching it, and what is touching it has less surface blood flow so your core temp stays high easier.

The Xtherm is by no means particularly heavy at 15oz, but it is kinda bulky. The XLite has the same inflated and packed size but is 4oz lighter and $50USD cheaper (which should roughly equate to around $70-80AUD cheaper, assuming similar availability). Unless you plan on routinely camping in sub-freezing temperatures save yourself the weight and money imo.
>>
>>1035436
why calculators?
>>
I don't have any proper /out/ gear, only a few small things.

Recommend me some things! Just shit that I will need.

I live in FL, and plan to hike/camp here. I may go to other states in the future but not soon.
>>
>>1037138
To calculate.
>>
>>1037119
>Side sleepers might be able to push that a little farther comfortably since there's less of you touching it, and what is touching it has less surface blood flow so your core temp stays high easier.

you talk a good talk but experience says side sleeping reduces your insulation because the pad compresses so greatly and puts your side very close to the ground
>>
>>1037157
Boots come first, followed by pack, followed by tent, followed by sleeping bag. Buy nice not twice. You do not want to skimp on any of these four things. DO NOT buy boots online.
>>
>>1037282
>bought some oakley boots online. 5 years of use still going strong

also the most comfortable pair of boots i've ever owned
>>
>>1037162
Well, that was predicated on the concept of buying a thick enough pad and inflating it properly so your side isn't touching or almost touching the ground.
>>
>>1037157
>I live in FL
>recommend me things
In order of necessity:
1. Bug spray
2. Boots
3. Tent or hammock+rainfly with good bug net (tent will be cheaper until you get into the UL backpacking tents, hammock will be lighter at any given price point below ~$400)
4. Sunblock
5. Good cookware
You can car camp without a backpack until you get a feel for camping in general. Then buy a pack.
>>
File: F90560-633_0.jpg (103KB, 522x660px)
F90560-633_0.jpg
103KB, 522x660px
i need a replacement for my old AF northface big shot, any day now the bottom is gonna wear through.

need it for dayhikes as well as school/work

cosnidering the Fjallraven Stubben, then it oculd also be my fishing seat.

am i being stupid and getting seduced by Fjallraven meme propaganda?
>>
>>1036718
I've used it quite a bit as a day pack over the past 3 years. Keep your load light(about 12 lbs), or invest in some padding for straps. You can also use it as a messenger bag. I also had to cut off the middle strap meant for a belt and I duct taped the two ends hanging off the straps to the hooks so they wouldn't fall out when putting pack on. The strap closure take some getting used to especially for speedy openings.

I pack some food, nalgene, waterproof layer, and small odds and ends in mine. Be aware the inner rubber liner inside can be kinda fragile, mine ripped. It will survive without it though but it won't be as watertight. It's the only pack I've owned that is truly waterproof. I don't know of any other pack this cheap that is.

Hope I was helpful.
>>
Is there such a thing as a good branded tent for under £100? I've only ever used shitty argos or asda tents as a kid, but they all seem to be cheap chinese shit of the same quality as those until you get to the £180 mark and upwards.

Only going to be using it in the late spring/summer/early autumn months, if that helps. Solo person.

I'd just rely on a tarp and bivvy bag but it's amazing how few trees there are in the UK. Either the tree line is only about 20 feet deep and so you can't (illegally) camp there without getting caught, or it's somewhere like the Yorkshire Dales where there isn't a tree in sight.

Trip in particular is to the Lake District where it's the same story, where you're semi-allowed to illegally camp, you need to be above the tree line, so a cheap tarp/hammock set up isn't possible.
>>
Anyone have any recommendations on water bottles? I'm working in a really dusty area and I need a good sized bottle that has a way to keep the mouth part clean to prevent a mouthful of whatever craps in the air at the time.

Not really an outdoorsy guy myself, but i'd figure this would be the best place to ask or at least get a list of brands to look for or avoid.
>>
>>1037606
Similar situation as you. I'm hiking and camping in Scotland this summer and all i've got left to buy is the tent. I might just say fuck it about buy the heavy as fuck decathlon tent (i live in france)
https://www.decathlon.fr/tente-quick-hiker-2p-id_8386006.html
I tried it in store and it weighs 2.7 kg but it's SUPER roomy. Also 99 euros.

I've also considered the following:
http://www.obicampingandleisure.co.uk/vango-zenith-200-new-2017-colourway/
80 quid here
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF129-138.html
160 quid but really roomy and massive porch area.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2
Much more expensive (200 quid) but pure quality.
>>
>>1037315
For FL, I'm really starting to love the lightweight long sleeve fishing shirts. Even with bug spray, you will get eaten on bad days so long sleeve shirts that breathe are the way to go. Plus they kee the sun from totally frying you.
>>
>>1037529
Very helpful! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and buy one on account of how cheap they are. Many thanks, anon!
>>
>>1035205
What are some good lightweight, breathable shoes for hiking?
>>
>>1037119
Colder being NZ and Tasmania in winter. I'm not too worried about pack-down size, my other gear packs down fairly well. I'd consider the xtherm my luxury item in hopes of good sleep. Also I believe the xtherm is a stronger material.
>>
>>1037157
South Florida Bro
Look into treating your gear with permethrin
Combo that with picaridin bug spray, and you're 100% Florida Trail ready.
Don't buy water-proof shoes, buy vented shoes. You will get your feet wet; water-proof gets water IN and makes it STAY in. We don't have snow, so it has no benefit.
Carry two (2) pair socks, Minimum.
Careful of No-See-Ums; they're worse than mosquito bites.
Carry Benadryl.
Wear mid-length boots because snakes.
Wide brimmed hat.
Don't ever fucking wear cotton.
Fishing shirts like the Tamiami II long sleeve are great.
Don't buy black.
Carry a rain jacket.
>>
>>1036936
>when you cant carry a hatchet or knife because youre going to scotland by airplane
Wat, I'm pretty sure you can check you luggage and take that on a plane.
>>
>>1037764
I am also from South FL!

>Look into treating your gear with permethrin
>Combo that with picaridin bug spray, and you're 100% Florida Trail ready
Are there a lot of ticks?

>buy vented shoes
Shoes or boots?

>Tamiami II long sleeve
I could definitely get a few of those in white.

What pants do you recommend?
>>
>>1037764
What's wrong with black?
>>
>>1037784
>Are there a lot of ticks?
Perm works on all bugs, not just ticks. It helps to be covered.

>buy vented shoes
Misstype - boots are where it's at.

>pants
Up to you. 5.11 has a great line. prAna has the best convertible pants.

>>1037798
Black in my experience truly gets warmer. I feel the sun more, almost boiling me in my shirt. If I could trade in my Tamiami II in black for a lighter color, I would.
>>
>>1037815
Alright, gotcha. Do you have any boot recommendations? Maybe something you have used before or know are good.

Those 5.11 pants look great, but seem to be cotton. Is there any issue with that?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate it.
>>
>>1037724
I will shill NB Minimus, but honestly just get what is comfortable because nobodies feet are the same.
>>
>>1037816
These

Cotton kills.
Fast-Tac is 100% poly.
Up to you honestly. I don't feel too warm/sweat too much in my legs. They're not hairy, either. I use the Taclite Pro, and they're not bad.
>>
>>1037616
https://www.nalgene.com/product/1790-3020/

Otherwise you'll end up buying flip-top bottles that'll break pretty frequently.
>>
>>1037657
That's true in a lot of places.

The LS fishing shirts are pretty okay, love the UPF, but all the button-down ones have too large a mesh in the cape part and no-see-ums and chiggers get through, and the cape chafes if you're wearing a backpack. Some of the synthetic T-shirt style long sleeve shirts are pretty nice, and even the thicker quarter zips from Huk and UA are pretty comfy in hot and humid weather. Huk even has a couple that are t-shirt thin but have a hood.

Also, permethrin.
>>
File: 20170613_220533.jpg (193KB, 675x533px)
20170613_220533.jpg
193KB, 675x533px
>>1035220
Put a piece of innertube over it. Do you even diy?
>>
>>1037784
>are there a lot of ticks?
There's a fair number, but permethrin works on ALL bugs, including spiders (assuming they're not humongous tarantulas or wolf spiders, they're simply too big).
>shoes or boots?
I would recommend boots simply due to the number of pokey and bitey things FL has. Palmettos will scratch the fuck out of you.

>>1037798
>what's wrong with black?
1. It's noticeably and measurably hotter
2. Dark colors attract flies and gnats to some extent
3. Shows every single spec of dirt and sand so you look like a hobo sooner when /out/
>>
>>1037846
>take heavy bulky expensive lighter with low capacity
>have to add even more weight and bulk to it to make it last more than 3 days
Bic is in every single way better.
>>
pls r8
For PNW
>>
>>1037882
Needs more ponchos.
>>
>>1037606
You can pick up a Wild Country Zephyros 1 for just under 100 quid online. I've got one and they're super fast to pitch, take a real hammering, and are relatively light (1.5kg or thereabouts).
>>
>>1037882
I can't judge you properly until I know which gun you're bringing.

It looks like you're going to be out for two days judging by the food, why are you bringing three sharpening stones? You can get by with just the fine one as long as you're not smashing rocks.
Buy a better rain coat, if you're going to spend 20 bucks in ponchos every trip you'll save money in the long run.
Get bigger emergency blankets, even for a manlet like me they're smaller than you'd think.
If you're planning on having a fire, bring something to help it get started, everything is always wet and miserable here. Unless it's forest fire season, then it's no fun allowed and you have to pack a stove.
I don't see any bug spray, those fuckers will ruin your trip if you let them.
And finally burts bee's is best chapstick
>>
>>1037882
What are you doing /out/? Hiking, hunting, just camping?
>>
>>1037016
I would go for only gorka from SSO/SPOSN or BARS, the differences between the different types can be things like pocket placement, where the more water resistant patches are, putting on style etc... for example I have some olive drab gorka 4 that I put on over my torso and some autumn partisan camo Gorka E that buttons up in the front.

Grey-shop is my go to although the shipping is a little steep for one gorka suit... i have bought an individual suit from them as a single order and then at a later date ordered all together another suit, knee/elbow pads, mess tin, cutlery, sleeping mats, goggles, 2 hats, shemagh, balaclava, smersh vest, thermals, gloves, bdu shirt, 30l backpack, 60l backpack and a small waist bag and the shipping was like 40% more than that past order of one suit
>>
>>1037926
They are light. Can't hurt to have extra

>>1037936
>Gun
Remington 788 in .243
>sharpening stones
Yeah I suppose I can bring one instead
>Rain coat
Yep I have one. Ponchos are useful though.
>Emergency blanket
They are big enough, just folded very compact (assuming the packaging isn't lying)
>fire starter
Swedish army flint and steel and waterproof matches just above the cotton cordage
>Bug spray
Yeah I do need some
>bee's chapstick
I'll look for some, thanks.

>>1037947
Hiking for half mile about and then hammock camping for two nights. Hammock (with bug net) and underblanket not pictured because they are still on the way in the mail.
>>
File: IMG_2624.jpg (72KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2624.jpg
72KB, 633x758px
>>1035436
Imagine this dude running at you in the dark of night dual-wielding DeWalt reciprocating saws, calculators clacking on his belt.

Scary.
>>
What do most of you use to prepare food? I was thinking of picking up a mess kit off amazon, or getting a cast iron pan.
Surprisingly, the cast iron pan is cheaper, and would be of greater use in day to day life. On the other hand the mess kit is much lighter and I could boil water with it. Thoughts?
>>
>>1038104
Depends on what I'm doing.
>hunting and car camping
Cast iron dutch oven and a regular 12" skillet and cooking over an open fire or 2-burner Coleman camp stove
>backpacking and kayak camping
0.8L titanium pot and cooking on an MSR Whisperlite Universal
>>
>>1038104
Titanium pot and white box alcohol burner.
>>
File: 1489434146043.gif (899KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1489434146043.gif
899KB, 600x600px
Planning a hike this summer for my short vacation, and there really arent anything plausible other than walking to point A and then walking home again the day after, same route.

The only good route that is longer than two days and doesn't require me walking the same path back or using transportation would require me to cross over a lake, twice.

I'm thinking about using a blow up toy boat for that purpose, should I do it?
>>
>>1038127
If you're a good swimmer and are willing to lose your backpack incase of emergency, go for it.

If you're not a good swimmer, are not willing to lose your backpack incase of emergency or don't have watertight bag for your backpack don't do it.

Else, do it. Great experience.
Protip: take a handpump
Protip: deflate the boat and leave it trogether with the pump around the lake underground
>>
I'll probably pick up the twelve inch skillet then. Me and a couple friends were talking about going camping to celebrate graduation and I don't see us backpacking very far. Thanks anon
>>
>>1038130
shit, meant to reply to
>>1038109
>>
>>1037320
yes
>>
What and how would I go about cooking outdoors ?
Live in a hot and humid tropical climate, so meats may not be the most applicable.

Thank you
>>
>>1038198
>take food
>apply heat
There is your what and how. Everything else is personal preference.

As to meats in your tropics, either use preserved meats or take a cooler with you if you want to eat meat, otherwise there are a large variety of vegetables that keep somewhat better that will provide enough protein for any reasonable length /out/ing.
>>
Is this the right board to talk about binoculars? What's the best bang for the buck?
>>
>>1038379
Vortex Diamondback imo. Out-performs $800 Leupolds, no-bullshit transferrable lifetime warranty. They are themselves expensive by 4chan standards at $300-400 though.
>>
>>1038384
Thanks anon. They seem pretty comfy, but I need something cheaper.
>>
Supposing I could have a mid-tier product of each:
Small full tang camp knife
Larger knife (think BK7)
Camp axe
Machete

What would be the best one/combo to take on weekend hikes?

I know there are a lot of variables to consider, I'm mostly just wondering if anyone has had experience with a variety of kits, and why one might be better than another.
>>
>>1038405
Just bring what you will use.

For 99% of my outings, I don't use more than a small camp knife.

But I am not going through a jungle where I'd need a machete. I am not making campfires or building shelter, so no ax. I'm not planning on fighting in the trenches with limited ammo, so no combat knife.

Don't bring anything you don't have a planned use for.
>>
File: dr-6.jpg (99KB, 640x360px)
dr-6.jpg
99KB, 640x360px
>>1035256
Tarptent! Super light, durable and packable.
Tarptent.com
>>
>>1036549
>wearing cargo pants
it's like you don't want to ever get a blowjob again
>>
>>1038426
> Get married
> Never get blowjob again
Fuck it, guess I can wear cargo pants.
>>
>>1035436
Need another graphing calculator. What are you supposed to do if your first two fail? Die?
>>
>>1038426
Function > Form while innawoods faggot.

I've got two pairs of these 5.11 pants and they're superb. Water resistant, several pockets, good flex, etc etc.
>>
>>1037843
Hit up your local MilSurp and get a military canteen. They're pretty rugged and you can usually land a brand new one for ~$10
>>
>>1037315
Below $400? The hammock I've been camping in for years only cost me around $20, another $30 for a quality rainfly/bugnet and no issues yet.
>>
>>1038389
What's your price range?
>>
>>1038462
And most sporting goods stores sell ready-to-go tents including stakes starting at $12-20. They'll be heavier, but they are quite a bit cheaper.
>>
>>1038460
Those get and stay filthy though. They also absorb the flavor of literally everything, aren't BPA free, are themselves heavy, and don't fit in any pockets other than USGI canteen pouches.

t. milfag
>>
>>1037833
These look good! I'll go for it. Is poly generally cooler then cotton?

>>1037851
I just wanna be careful using that permethrin stuff, might be toxic as hell. Any ideas if the tics here have lymes disease?
>>
>>1038468
About $100~$150
>>
>>1038527
Nor sure if these reviews are any good
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-binoculars/
>>
>>1035205
Anybody who has experience with the swedish LK35?

As far as i found out it does use the same frame as the LK70 and SJ35, but without the waistbelt
>>
>>1038502
>people are scared of putting permethrin on their clothes
>rub DEET on skin instead
>>
>>1035205
Ay, I have that exact same pot
>>
Are boots with 200 grams of thinsulate insulation too warm to wear in the summer or temperatures around 25C or between 70-80F.
>>
>>1038601
Decathlon plebs
>>
>>1038634
Nothing much you can do wrong with a 6 euro titanium cooking pot though
>>
>>1038637
It's aluminium. Titanium is more expensive.

> pic related, my current titanium cup
>>
>>1038652
Whoop, I don't know how I bollocksed that up. Still, nothing much you can do wrong with a 6 euro aluminium cooking pot though.

I'm on a budget at the moment so I'll probably start upgrading a lot of stuff once I start at my new job.
>>
>>1038435
Ugh, is that seriously what it's like getting married? I like the idea of marriage, but I've heard too many horror stories of the woman just turning into a fat lazy bitch who just lets herself go.
>>
File: TEXSPURRT.jpg (186KB, 1280x720px)
TEXSPURRT.jpg
186KB, 1280x720px
>>1038469
Maybe 15 years ago? Nowadays the cheapest tent off Amazon is $22, pic related went from $25 to $35 and is back down to $25 (camo is still $32).

...don't ask me why I know all this about cheap shitty tents. I should get out more.
>>
>>1037616
Based on your need for a dust proof/resistant drinking system, I would look into a bladder system if I were you. Like Camelback, but there are tons of other brands out there.
>>
>>1038602
If you're hiking in them, most likely. If you're just sitting around in them you could get by. It really boils down to the person.

I usually don't opt for boots w/ insulation and instead use thicker socks. But I'm not in a super cold environment either so do with that what you will.
>>
>>1038129
Not worried about loosing the bag despite the shortest crossing being ~500m, more worried about space and weight of the boat.

I have a 75L hiking sack and I need to fit my tent, sleeping blanket, sleeping mat, one change of clothes, rain cloak, towel, outdoor tools, mess kit, water and food for 2,5 days on/in it.

Contemplating on getting a hammock just to cut away the tent and sleeping blanket in one swing but I'm not sure.
>>
File: hqdefault (3).jpg (21KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault (3).jpg
21KB, 480x360px
If anyone is looking for an affordable, easy to set up one man tent, this one's breddy gud
>>
>>1038738
Okay, but what is it?
>>
>>1038502
Don't drink the permethrin and you're fine. It goes on your clothes/gear, not on you.

All ticks in North and Central America can potentially carry lyme disease, and there are cases reported in all 50 states, Mexico, and Canada every year. Yes this includes Alaska and Hawaii.
>>
>>1038701
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/quest-2-person-dome-tent-16queuqst5x72prsncat/16queuqst5x72prsncat

$15, readily available in store, has manufacturer's warranty and store return policy. Occasionally goes on sale for $9.99.
>>
>>1038527
Then I'd recommend the Nikon Monarch 3, or if you can get them on sale the Vortex Crossfires.
>>
>>1038698
Lots of women turn out that way, yes. It's one of the reasons you don't jump into a marriage right off the bat, and why a lot of people live together for a couple years before deciding to tie the knot.
>>
>>1037632
In case anyone wants to know, I ended up buying a "lightent 2" in green from Italian brand ferrino. 1.7kg yet it still very roomy it looks like Good buy. Only downside appears to be that it's not free standing.
>>
>>1038602
They will definitely be too warm. The thing you want in warm weather is breathability, and Thinsulate offers none of that. Your feet will be soaked in sweat and will not dry out.
>>
File: 1493641189976.jpg (52KB, 540x419px)
1493641189976.jpg
52KB, 540x419px
>>1038766
>>1038545

Very useful. Thanks a lot
>>
>>1036847
I love that you admit you're clueless yet feel you are in a position to make.value judgements on gear.

How about assessing gear on function and materials / built quality rather than price?
>>
>>1036936
You're talking out of your ass on both counts. Lots of natural fire lighters here and also perfectly legal to carry tools in checked luggage
>>
>>1038793
No problem.

If you'll actually be wearing them for more than about 20 minutes at a go I also highly recommend getting a chest harness to go with whatever you buy (assuming it doesn't come with one). Greatly reduces neck and shoulder strain, eliminates the risk of your binos strangling you, and keeps them from getting all twisted up.

Cheap ones start at $10.
>>
>>1038800
You getting asshurt because I'm calling £10 sleeping bags dogshit after stating in my post that I've also used them before?
>>
>>1037949
Jesus, that's some expensive shipping. Thanks for the info anon.

Any other recommendos on good Mil-Surp sites? I like Kommando Store and Keep Shooting, I've heard good things about Sportsmans' guide.
>>
>>1038764
I stand corrected. This is an insane deal.

Do you have any experience w/ it anon?
>>
>>1038763
Fuck. Last thing I want is lymes disease, I'll probably kill myself if I get it.
>>
>>1038841
Yes, since I sell them.

They're not great, but assuming you're not a hamfisted retard or use it while falling-down drunk it'll hold up.
>>
>>1038859
Lyme is readily treatable. I've had it twice myself.

If you develop the bullseye rash, go to the doctor. Doctor will prescribe doxycycline or similar. That gets rid of it.

Only the untreated cases have the potential to turn into chronic lyme disease, and that's not a guarantee either. And there's varying severities of that, ranging from "I'd have never known until it popped up on a blood test" to permanently disabling.
>>
>>1038859
>>1038874
Also, you can prevent 99% of tick bites pretty easily.
>use bug repellant
DEET or picaridin on skin, permethrin on clothes and gear.
>wear light-colored clothes
Some evidence points to insects and ticks being attracted to dark clothes, but the big benefit is you can see the little fuckers and get them off you easier and faster in light clothes.
>wear pants, not shorts
Less exposed skin. Also helps with sunburn/skin cancer and mosquitos/biting flies/gnats
>keep ALL your hair short (especially pubes)
Fewer places for them to hide and easier to find them. Also makes you not look like you're homeless, and makes personal hygiene easier on the trail.
>comb your hair every single night, regardless of length or location, with a fine-toothed comb
Standard human hair combs do an alright job of finding ticks, but animal curry combs do better at the cost of potentially being poke-y. Your standard $0.89 drug store "unbreakable" plastic comb will suffice.
>tuck your shirt in and blouse your boots
Ticks have a harder time getting to skin that way
>>
>>1038813
No, because you assume a £400 bag is a scam.
>>
Has anyone any experience using karrimor clothing? Did you like it?
>>
>>1038904
I never called the £400 bags a scam, I implied the reviewers who get free gear to review and then post an amazon link where they get a commission scam artists.

There's a difference, but if you want to be a muppet and don't know how the business works, that's your prerogative.
>>
>>1038908
I've got some Karrimor short tights I run in, but that's about it.

It's an in-house brand of Sports Direct now, so it's cheap shit.

Even if it was somewhat passable, I don't agree with SD practises so I'd go out of my way to avoid it anyway.

They used to be a decent British outdoor company but they got liquidated and they sold the brand so SD, I believe.
>>
>>1038874
How long before it could possibly turn into chronic lime disease? I could also just have some of that fish antibiotics in case that I do get a lyme rash when /out/.

>>1038880
>DEET or picaridin on skin
Which is less toxic for humans?

>permethrin on clothes and gear
What gear?

How often should you apply to yourself and your shit?

>keep ALL your hair short
I have long hair, no way I am cutting it.
>>
>>1038976
5-10 days after the formation of the bullseye, which is usually 48-72 hours after the bite.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT self-medicate with antibiotics other than doxycycline. It and its relatives are the only ones effective against lyme disease, and getting it wrong can mask or delay a lyme infection long enough for it to turn into chronic lyme before you give up and go to the doctor.

Picaridin is slightly less toxic, DEET works substantially better. Neither will harm you unless you douse yourself 24/7/365 for your entire life, both will kill the fuck out of you if you drink it.

Permethrin goes on anything worn or easily washed (sleeping bag, daypack, etc).

Permethrin is good for 6 weeks or 6 washes, whichever comes first.

Cut your hair you stinky hippie.
>>
>>1039007
>DO NOT self-medicate with antibiotics other than doxycycline
Yea, yea. I hear that they make doxycycline fish antibiotics.

>Picaridin is slightly less toxic, DEET works substantially better
How often should I apply either? Once a day?

>Cut your hair you stinky hippie
No.
>>
>>1038976
don't listen to that anon over reacting this is what you do,

>wear trousers
>wear gaiters with your boots or shoes (you can get non-waterproof ankle gaiters)
>have a long sleeve layer
>tuck your top into your trousers
>don't roll around in the long grass

And that's pretty much it. If you're paranoid you can check yourself before going to bed. I've had four ticks over the last 2 years, one was on my belly, the other 3 on my legs. Trousers and gaiters will protect you from the majority.

I'd rather a tick than to coat myself in poison
>>
>>1039043
not clear in my post, but the 4 ticks in the last two years are PRIOR to me wearing gaiters. This year I've had 0 ticks to date
>>
>>1038742
Sorry
Coleman Hooligan. Guess it's actually a two person but you better be fucking the other person
>>
Is a 50l bag big enough for the West highland trail? Taking tent and other gear.

I'm looking at Osprey atmos 50l
>>
>>1039118
>Osprey atmos 50l
50 to 60l should be big enough for any trail, but that's just my opinion. I personally really like ultralight gear for thru-hikes, take a look at the Gossamer Gear Mariposa or ÃœLA Ohm 2.0 if you want to go UL.
>>
What should i look at for a pack to take day hiking/general purpose fishing and whatnot thats good quality and affordable[talking $50 range or alittle higher
>>
>>1039145
Jansport. They seem to do quite well fitting 3700-series tackle trays, last forever, are cheap enough, and are decently comfy as long as something isn't poking you through the back panel.
>>
>>1039145
Osprey Daylite. Lightweight, good build quality, hip and sternum straps, and a lifetime warranty that covers wear and tear.
>>
>>1039050
Yeah, that's how 2 man tents seem to be a lot of the time.
>>
File: 1365729_201_main.jpg (647KB, 1200x1200px)
1365729_201_main.jpg
647KB, 1200x1200px
Anyone here ever hiked in work shoes? I've had pic related for ~10 months now and it's an incredible pair of work shoes. It has a composite toe (so not steel toe) and has yet to make my feet soaked. Walking on them feels like walking on carpet regardless of the surface.
>>
File: 52_1678744302.jpg (118KB, 960x720px)
52_1678744302.jpg
118KB, 960x720px
I'm considering this used tent for 20$, it's made of "airship canvas" or something I can't neccesarily translate.
I just need a cheap light tent as a crawl-in space when I'm fishing but not necessarily pulling an over-nighter. Somewhere to nap during the deadtime the fish isn't active.
It's allegedly old as fuark. With a ton of re-proofing, what can go wrong?
>>
>>1039894
That is dirt cheap, why not? Worst case scenario it breaks after a few months.
>>
File: i-DK7SBwh-L.jpg (115KB, 800x599px)
i-DK7SBwh-L.jpg
115KB, 800x599px
>>1039880
Yep. The footbed that comes with them doesn't last very long in my experience, dr scholls gel inserts will last as long as the boot will.
>giant fucking worm kinda related
>>
How many of you go hi/k/ing? What's the easiest way to tote a handgun while keeping it accessable?

Do drop-leg holsters work?
>>
>>1039917
I do.

Duty drop holster if I can OC, otherwise pocket carry a subcompact.

Avoid droplegs at all costs. Even set up properly (snugged all up in your shit) they flop around more than is comfortable.
>>
File: bahco.jpg (11KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bahco.jpg
11KB, 500x500px
Is this thing sturdy? I hate plastic but everyone seems to love this saw. Any other saw suggestions would be good. Talk to me about batoning and I will baton your ass with my full-tang dick.
>>
>>1040065
I've been working in construction for over 8 years now and we use a lot of Bahco and they have never done me wrong, even with intense and long-term usage. I can't really vouch for that particular saw but Bahco in general is great.
>>
>>1040065
its a very good saw, mines going on maybe 3 years? im looking to go up however to a more bucksaw like design because the wood im using it on is too large, i would say it quickly loses effectiveness on anything more then wrist thick, but it is scary good at stuff that size. can bee a bit hard to open but once you learn its no big deal
>>
im gonna buy a glock knife.

but should i buy the saw back or the plain?
the plain can be sharpened to 90 degrees for ferro rod used and scraping
but the saw can create fine dust and notches

what do?
also, green would be the patrician choice correct
>>
>>1040640
I would go with the clean back. I also wouldn't buy a glock knife though, so take my opinions with a grain of salt. My reasoning here is that if you properly sharpen your knife and have a good 90 degree angle on the back, you'll be able to cut notches and make fine dust without the need of a saw. I personally find saws tend to get pretty uncomfortable when I choke up on the blade for fine carving and whatnot.
>>
>>1040065

those and silky boys are pretty damn good.
>>
>>1040640

i bought the saw back, but it was anoying as fuck. i sanded it down.

the saw bit keeps getting full of wood and wont saw anymore, and you cant put pressure on it because of the blade on the other side.

So i just filed it down.

get the non saw one!
>>
This is the bag I'll be using for a one day hike. I have no idea what the litre size is, but I'm sure I'll have to add a few things.
>>
>>1041259
I'll definitely start with adding something to cover the top. It also has the ability to grow in size.
>>
I'll have to add a hip belt as well, maybe two additional pockets at the sides.
>>
Natural or man made fibres for hot weather safari clothes?
>>
>>1041290
If it's dry, natural. If it's wet, man-made.
>>
>>1040810
Gotcha
>>
>>1041290
Merino is king for moisture maintenance if you're active or in a moist environment. If sun is a concern then a long sleeve nylon safari shirt by somebody like Columbia is your best bet.
>>
>>1038924
>I implied the reviewers who get free gear to review and then post an amazon link where they get a commission scam artists.

do you know what implied means? because this is what you said

>Looking at their £50 bag, which is still fairly fucking expensive if you ask me, but it's nothing compared to the £400 ones all the camping websites that are after that sweet, sweet ad revenue are promoting.

>£50 ... still fairly fucking expensive
yeah no.

>camping websites
not reviewers
>>
>>1041470
Good to see asshurt poster still can't read.

>implying promotions aren't paid for either outright or as a slice of revenue
>getting asshurt because expensive is subjective

)))))))))))))
>>
I need a new hatchet and a pot that I can use for cooking over coals. What would anyone recommend?
>>
good lightweight stakes in europe?
>>
>>1041479
Depends what your budget is. Also, what size of pot? You can get milsurp mess kits pretty cheap if you don't mind old aluminium stuff. For hatchets, Fiskars X7 is still hard to beat for the price.
>>
>>1041483
There's a couple of UL online stores based in Germany and the UK, should be plenty of choice for lightweight stakes on there.
>>
>>1039880
Had a friend who brought his steel-toed boots that he got as a firefighter with him on a hiking trip. They fucked his feet up pretty bad.
>>
>>1037320
Livi in Sweden, I cam assure you that fjällräven is regarded as a very good brand here. That and Lundhags. Both brands make really good gear for a variety of climates
>>
>>1041483
You after something like shepherd's hooks or are you more looking for a Y-stake? Aluminum versions should be available through pretty much any outlet that sells any camping gear in the EU.

Your standard aluminum shepherd's hook is half an ounce/~14 grams, your standard Y-stake is between 0.5oz/14g and 0.7oz/~20g.

Comparable titanium stakes are moderately lighter (0.2oz/5.5g for a 6" shepherd's hook style or 0.4oz/11g for titanium V-stakes. The V-stakes have the best holding power. I don't really know off-hand how available titanium stakes are in the EU, but at a total weight savings of around 1 ounce across your whole sleep setup most people don't find them worthwhile, especially if they're relatively expensive compared to aluminum where you are (they're about $1 more each here in the US, so usually worth it).
>>
>>1041497
budget is probably 100 bucks. Was thinking 2qt pot would be plenty big. Would stainless be better than aluminum for cooking directly on a campfire?
>>
>>1041570
It's technically a lot easier to overheat aluminium on an open fire, but I have yet to have that happen. Stainless is more durable though, so if you want something that'll take a beating it's probably your best option. Doing some quick research on pots brought up these Zebra pots on amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Zebra-Loop-Handle-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0038MT0AI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497912909&sr=8-2&keywords=2%2Bquart%2Bcamping%2Bpot&th=1&psc=1
It looks like the 14cm version holds about 2 quarts, plus it's got the loop handle for taking it off the fire more easily. That leaves you a fair amount of money for a hatchet if you wanna get something nice, but if you don't feel like breaking the bank, you can get a Husqvarna hatchet for around 40 bucks.
https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-576926401-13-Hatchet-Leather/dp/B004VLKLJE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497913166&sr=8-3&keywords=husqvarna+axe
A buddy of mine has this exact hatchet and it's really nice. The handle needs a little bit of fine sanding right out of the box, but the axe head itself can compete with $100+ axes quite easily.
>>
>>1041545
Cool thanks!
>>
>>1041532
Its the shoe anon here. Did your trip have a lot of elevation gain?
>>
File: 20170619_192918.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px)
20170619_192918.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Doubled the solar on my bag so I can charge a spare drone battery at the same time as my phone and camera.

I should bring less shit but I can't come out here without wanting to record all this fucken splendor. Nature is one hot bhabihabiat.
>>
>>1035256
I just started going /out/ and got a hammock and used it last weekend. Do you find that the hammock limits you over time as you explore more and gain more experience? How long did you go before deciding to look for a tent?
>>
>>1041625
Thanks friend
>>
I'm looking to buy a (digital) wristwatch with a compass feature.

I'm thinking either the Casio SGW-100 series, or the G-Shock G9300 series.

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>1041749
>do you find that the hammock limits you over time?
Yes, but a good hammock setup is still the most comfortable sleep you'll get while /out/ and I still intend to use mine regularly. There's just places I like going with no big enough trees for me to hang it on.

Experience doesn't really have anything to do with it, I'm "experienced" with both and have been for over a decade.

I came off a tent to go to a hammock, and I still keep my 3-person UL around for when I want to take my dog or wife with me, just looking for a lightweight/UL setup for solo camping now. I don't feel like there's distinct tiers to camping, I can do the super-ultralite-mountaineering shit one weekend then load the truck up and take my wife and dog to a groomed state campground the next, and they're equally enjoyable to me. As a result I've got a pretty good array of gear.

>>1041784
Yes. Don't trust any watch-integrated compass to be any more accurate than differentiating the cardinal directions. Either get and learn how to use a (good) GPS or get and learn how to use a (good) dedicated orienteering compass and good maps.
>>
>>1035436
>sex wax
>no skateboard
>wants incomplete kit rating
>>
>>1041794
Compassfag here again.

Are non-liquid filled compasses a pain in the ass to use? I would prefer to get one without liquid because 1. they're usually cheaper, and 2. liquid-filled compasses tend to form air bubbles, no matter how careful you are.
>>
>>1041794
hammock anon here. Thanks for the reply/info. I was planning to start bulking up my equipment about $150/monthly to buy gear. I guess I'll start looking at tents/bags now too.
>>
best folding shovel/entrenching tool? i got the NATO entrenching tool but im not really loving the triangular handle and its just got you know, hoe - shovel config, well you can sue it as a chair too i guess but i would love one with more features, like a pick and maybe root-saw
>>
>>1041976
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o
>>
>>1041995
i brought this on myself
>>
>>1036746
http://www.thekhukurihouse.com
>>
>>1042005
What would be better, buying a hatchet or a khukuri? is a khukuri a meme tool for backpacking/camping?
>>
>>1038109
>>1038111
>titanium pot
Why do you do this? Alu is just about as light, waaay cheaper, has better thermal conductivity. If you're concerned about durability or Alzheimer's, get stainless.
>>
>>1042013
really good for beheading chickens and foliage, not a replacement for an axe
>>
>>1040065
yeah recommend. had mine for 5 years and take it in the summer months when a bowsaw is too much saw.

>>1041475
yea no. couldn't care less about your opinion or your anal fixation.
>>
File: S91018000-2.jpg (27KB, 300x330px)
S91018000-2.jpg
27KB, 300x330px
>>1035205

I recently bought a milsurp trenchcoat, and though it fits well in the shoulders, and pretty good in arm length, the waist and below is even more enormous then expected. Its rubber, so can I alter it without fucking it up?
>>
>>1042015
your right, Ti is expensive and has poor conductivity.

however, if you're okay with those then it's the superior choice. Probably 4/5 of what I cook involves boiling water so does fine for that.

If I know I'm going to be cooking-cooking I'll pack an Al frying pan (with tall sides)
>>
>>1042013
I personally carry an estwing hatchet.
>>
I just picked up an osprey atmos 65 from a local store on sale for 200. Anyone have any first hand experience with this pack? it felt good in the store but obviously empty
>>
>>1041803
You want 1 bubble in a liquid compass, that's how you keep the thing level.

I've not used a dry compass before, couldn't tell you how easy/hard they are to use compared to a liquid compass.
>>
>>1042015
Because the weight and bulk savings over aluminum is worth the tradeoff in fuel efficiency brought on by its lower thermal conductivity to me.
>>
>>1042049
>his hatchet weighs more than .3 oz
>>
File: grandmesa2_nofly_kl15.jpg (63KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
grandmesa2_nofly_kl15.jpg
63KB, 1000x1000px
Sup /out/
Going out into the Borrego Desert this weekend and I am debating between some tents.
I am either going to spend the penny and get a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 or go a bit cheaper and get the Boulder creek hiker 2 from Big5

Desert is pretty hot at night (just got back from the Mojave and it was 105 at 11pm) so I was loeaning towards the Kelty because of the mostly mesh design.
According to forecast it will be 90ish at night

Anyone got any suggestions or recommendations for tents?

Also, we will be hiking through the mountains with astronomy equipment, so it cannot be a million pound tent
>>
File: IMG_1313.jpg (65KB, 920x520px)
IMG_1313.jpg
65KB, 920x520px
Should I get the cold steel trail hawk...
>>
File: IMG_1315.jpg (60KB, 920x520px)
IMG_1315.jpg
60KB, 920x520px
...or the frontier hawk?
>>
>>1042081
>You want 1 bubble in a liquid compass, that's how you keep the thing level.
Why do so many people sperg out when their compass develops an air bubble?
>>
>>1042217
>>1042218
>Should I get an axe that also functions as a hammer, or should I just get an axe?
Silly question, to be frank.
>>
>>1042217
I have this one and it has been a great axe. The hammer is very small but still useful.
>>
>>1042218
pipe hawk. bigger/heavier than trail hawk but with hammer
>>
File: ALICE Pack.jpg (150KB, 1155x1155px)
ALICE Pack.jpg
150KB, 1155x1155px
Hey! I've never done an overnight backpacking trip in my life and would really like to get in to it this summer. Only problem is I'm poor as fuck. The only two things I think I really need are a bigger backpack and a mess kit, everything else I believe I already have. For the backpack I was thinking of getting this

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/used-us-military-surplus-large-alice-pack-with-metal-frame?a=721849

It's the same product as in the picture. It's very affordable, and the reviews are very positive. Does it seem like an adequate bag for a first timer?

As for the mess kit I was looking at this on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCMK1W0/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bEGgp_c_x_5_w/132-9218868-6835320?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=Z1RR4RTNESCFWGYPCT1T&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=68c3d885-6b2e-5fed-a918-0a9fdce3ac07&pf_rd_i=3400751

It seems like a good deal, but I'm a beginner to this. Please let me know what you think

If any of you could give me thoughts on what I have selected and also maybe provide me with some other similarly priced products that may be better, that'd be great! Thanks for the help!
>>
File: Eat em uP!.jpg (167KB, 1500x1325px)
Eat em uP!.jpg
167KB, 1500x1325px
>>1042469
Here's a picture of the mess kit as well, the backpack is $50 and the mess kit is $25. I figured I should have put this in the original post so that you don't need to open the links. Thanks again!
>>
>>1042469
>>1042470
I'd say spend a tiny bit more on a backpack and you can find something much better than what you posted.

Such as:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/vaude-asymmetric-52-plus-8-backpack~p~175tu/

A full mess kit is generally unnecessary. You just need a small pan and utensil. You can either bring a fork from home or grab a plastic one from a local restaurant.

A better pot is:
https://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium-550ml-Pot-Version/dp/B018DLEOLS/
If you want cheap:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/jacob-bromwell-stainless-steel-camping-mug-large-28-floz~p~6701h/
>>
>>1042500
Thanks for the input. That bag looks really good for the price, I think I'll get it instead. As for the pot, I think I'll just grab a small light one I already have and some utensils if that's all I need. Thanks for the help!
>>
>>1042098
Lol, my hatchet weighs 38 oz / 1 kg. My pack weighs 4x that, empty.
>ultralight nancyboy thinks his opinion counts
>>
>>1042062
Osprey has always been good for me anon.
>>
File: 20150910_152801.jpg (651KB, 1500x844px)
20150910_152801.jpg
651KB, 1500x844px
>>1042062
love my Osprey. THE FUCKING SQUEAK THOUGH!

everything about the pack is damn near perfect, the back is comfy as fuck, the front mesh is godly, the sidepockets are uselss for anything by a swiss army knife or M&Ms

THE SQUEAK THOUGH
>>
>>1041483
Sticks
>>
>>1042819
sucks to squeak
>>
File: estwing.png (570KB, 534x950px) Image search: [Google]
estwing.png
570KB, 534x950px
>>1042584
Just taking the piss, these are the best
>>
>>1041735
richfag identified
>>
>>1042819
poor animal. you are a perv.
>>
File: 18114464.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
18114464.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>1040065
boring. every bushcraft newfag use it.
>>
am looking for new etool, mine is old and heavy. suggestions??
>>
>>1037882
Brother, have you not watched Wranglerstar's video on that shitty """survival knife"""? It's better to make your own. Just do that. Also why would you carry an axe when you have a saw? If anything get a hatchet. You don't need a cup if you already have a canteen. Why do you have gun oil and 3 ponchos? Don't bring a knife if you already have a leatherman. Don't bring those rubber gardening gloves, maybe get some disposable mechanics gloves that are paper thin and weigh nothing. Why ducktape? Deodorant is kinda a personal choice but you really don't need it. Get some patchouli oil. It lasts forever and apparently repels insects. I accidentally spilled some on a cotton jacket and the smell still remains after a few months and a wash.
>>
>>1041261
>>1041259
>>1041260
If there's any marking or stamps please post, otherwise don't use it. It looks like a heavy military bag from the 50s, if not commercial, it's still a bad choice. Synthetic fabrics are much better but I guess who cares if it's just a day hike.
>>
>>1044669
There are no stamps left. There has been one on the back, but it's missing. The only information I have is it was given to my father and it's military surplus. It is indeed a bit heavy, but I don't intend to go on multiday hikes for now. I'll have to invest in footwear and a lighter backpack. Thank you for your reply.
>>
>>1044669
It's just a single day hike though. I've used worse.
>>
>>1044670
>>1044675
It's a nice bag, don't get me wrong, but I usually prefer something bigger and with faster drying material. Especially if that's a family item I would reccomend using something else, maybe get a alice pack.
>>
>>1044676
It's not even a full weekend though. Hell you can do a single night comfortably with literally just a knife in most temperate climates. Buck naked. The pack quality really doesnt matter for this scenario.
>>
>>1036718
This backpack requires the army belt to be fully in place
>>
>>1042819
I work for a dealer and talked to them about it. They're aware and working to fix it. It sounds like they're going to end up just brush coating the internal frames to fix it. Once the fix is out just warranty your pack.
>>
>>1037882
Why 3. ponchos? Why do you carry them in their bags? Remove the machete, the hatchet. WTF is that metal thing in the bottom left? Wait thers ANOTHER PONCHO. Get a real compass if you plan to do navigation. Unnecesarily long roap. Dont carry the whole duct tape. The rest i cant even recognize.

Ultralight score: -10 / 10
>>
File: whatisthisshit.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px)
whatisthisshit.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
red=nix
yellow=reduce quantity or possibly remove to reduce redundancies.
blue=I have no idea what the fuck this is
green=get better quality
-
why the fuck do you have so many goddamn ponchos
if you were planning to use them as a shelter you need higher quality ponchos, not more. and you're better off converting a tarp, not a poncho.

also, no stove? not mandatory, but most people carry.

It might also be there, but I dont see a firestarter. Again, not mandatory, but extremely helpful. And judging by the rest of your kit, I wouldnt write you as veteran, so you should carry them. Alcohol soaked cottonballs are the easiest and cheapest will still being highly effective.

I'm trusting the metal package in btm left is some pill case or something? Probably just want a normal pill bottle.
>>
File: poncho.png (180KB, 680x453px)
poncho.png
180KB, 680x453px
>>1044837
I know what the next thread should be called.
>Gear Thread #3: Too many ponchos edition
>>
>>1044964
get out of here pablo!!
>>
>>1044968
Make me ._.
>>
>>1036108
Lots of ways of doing it safer than what you suggest- I know because I've done that slapdash deal of tying myself off, and when you wake up you near shit your pants.

SLEEPING in a tree by tying yourself off is anti-bear measure. If you plan on CAMPING in a tree, there are special sleep systems and tents made specifically for that purpose.

Without gear designed for it, it's dangerous, uncomfortable, and you won't sleep well. If you're truly afraid of a dog eating your face you'd do just fine sleeping in a trench.
>>1035436
I have that same chair.
>>1044973
I will build a wall of fire.
>>
>>1038064
>clacking away on his calculators, crunching numbers.
>Finishes
"According to my calculations, your dead meat. Nothing personal kiddo."
>>
>>1039120
what about the ULA CDT?
>>
>>1045462
I don't have experience with the CDT but from what I understand the biggest difference with the Ohm is that it's frameless which makes it lighter than the Ohm. But I really like the way the Ohm sits on my shoulders and my back, it's really comfortable even with higher base weights. If you go frameless you really need to keep your total weight way down for it to be as comfortable as a frame backpack. Unless you're a real UL nut I don't see any reason to get the CDT over the Ohm, it's up to you to decide what's more important for you.
>>
>>1035436
>40 ft extension cord keeping him pinned to house.
Son I don't think you're going to even make it outside.
>>
>>1045106
>reciprocating saw whirs
>>
File: IMG_0232.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0232.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1045504
40' is normally enough where I can sneak up to a cabin innawoods, plug it in somewhere, run it outside, and hide my chargers in a nearby bush.

Unless I bring the generator.
>>
>>1042469
From what I've heard Alice packs are as durable as they are uncomfortable, so you're probably better off getting a different backpack
>>
i'm looking at EDC bags, specifically this condor EDC shoulder bag:

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Edc-Bag-Black-4-5-Inch/dp/B0061G5IE0/

i'm curious how this is supposed to be worn. i don't want something sitting under my arm, and i don't want something strapped to the front of my chest.

is this thing supposed to ride somewhere near my back? none of the reviews have pictures showing where it will sit.
>>
File: condor edc.jpg (180KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
condor edc.jpg
180KB, 1000x1000px
>>1045665
through the power of internet search, i found this.
>>
Somebody recommend me hiking boots, please. I have creepy baby feet (US men's 6) and I want something that doesn't look like aspergers syndrome shoes and is pretty stylish, and at least ankle-length. Preferably made without animals.
>>
>>1035436
Why cat food? Do you feed it to wild animals? Do you take your cat with you? [spoiler]Do you eat it?[/spoiler]
>>
>>1045710
He's trolling.
[spoiler]newmans own cat food is "best" (least offensive taste) cat food [/spoiler]
>>1045650
Doesn't that mean they're indestructable?
>>1045708
Try them on dumbass. Nobody can recommend you shoes.
>>
>>1045719
yeah pretty much
>>
File: 1493096409354.jpg (49KB, 447x723px) Image search: [Google]
1493096409354.jpg
49KB, 447x723px
I fell for the mora meme, got a classic #1, basically using it as something more sturdy than my old cheapo folding knife, I'm going /out/ this weekend and will give it a try
>>
>>1045665
So what you are saying is that you feel the need to carry a purse?
>>
File: IMG_20170619_110327_951.jpg (1MB, 2304x2710px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170619_110327_951.jpg
1MB, 2304x2710px
>>1045462
>>1045488
I love my CDT. Am pretty comfy carrying 4 days stuff on it, 5 at a push. My base is 7.5lb
>>
>>1046141
Report back friend.
>>
>>1036936
Find a hardware or outdoors store in Scotland after you arrive, you knob.
>>
>>1037106
>>1037752
Nay. Kiwi here, bought a klymit insulated off massdrop for 50usd +10usd shipping to NZ. I'm a side sleeper and it suits me well. Only regreat is that I got the ultra light version which it's gets a little narrow as it tapers towards the feet. I need space for my legs and I can't stand mummy sleeping bags which the ultra light is more suited for. Get the regular version.
>>
>>1041652
Not that anon but I had a pair off work boots that I used for hiking for quite a while and they worried well. But they were more like a pair of hiking boots with a steel toe ( they were light) than the picture of boots you posted.
>>
>>1042819
My bag creeks and groans at the waist belt and where the shoulder straps connect at the bottom of the bag. I don't remember it being so noisy before. Feels bad man.
>>
Anyone have opinions on a hammock cocoon, vs ubderquilt and top quilt? The cocoon seems like it would pack smaller, and is easier to attach, but will it be as warm as the underquilt, top quilt combo?
>>
>>1046200
just bought the snugpak cocoon a few days ago, haven't had a chance to go /out/ with it yet. It is NOT small, even with the compression sack. I have a 70L pack and I can put it inside but it would take up most of the space, and strapping it to the bottom might work but it is quite bulky.
It does trap heat in quite well, I would guess it would end up warmer than the top/under quilt combo. You are just effectively carrying around a full sleeping bag instead of pieces. IMO the ease of the set-up will make it worth the space and weight.
>>
>>1037657
>>1037845
What do you use?
>>
https://www.backcountry.com/osprey-packs-kestrel-48-backpack-2800-2900cu-in?skid=OSP004M-DRARD-ML&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6NDhMIEtlc3RyZWw6MToxOjQ4TCBLZXN0cmVs

Is this a good bag?

Also what size would be good? I am 5'9 150 LBS.
>>
>>1046810
yes, S/M
>>
>>1046813
Do I need anything special to attach the tent to the top?
>>
>>1042469
get the medium and put it on the MOLLE frame.
>>
File: IMG_20170627_115538757.jpg (230KB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170627_115538757.jpg
230KB, 1632x918px
Haha time for batoning
>>
>>1046810
Ive had the 38l for years and love it. Its a great bag. For attaching your tent just play around with it when you get it. You've got several options.
>>
>>1046804
Usually wear F&S shirts both button-down fishing shirts and LS tees) since I sell them at work and get a 25% employee discount on them, although I do have a couple Huk quarter-zips that are thin enough to not swelter in in the summer.
>>
>>1046902
is this a good knife to baton with?
>>
>>1046905
Thanks.
>>1046953
Can't find them online, just see some gay looking ripped shirts.
>>
>>1047052
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-mens-latitude-long-sleeve-shirt-15fnsmfslttdlsshrapt/15fnsmfslttdlsshrapt
and
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-mens-evershade-tech-long-sleeve-shirt-15fnsmfsvrshdlstcapt/15fnsmfsvrshdlstcapt
>>
File: backpack.jpg (337KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
backpack.jpg
337KB, 1000x1000px
Just bought this backpack. High hopes.
>>
>>1047061
Never heard of the brand, but it looks like hipster shit banking on "muh German engineering" to sell. I hope it is good but why does it have a laptop sleeve?
>>
File: 20170626_091002.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170626_091002.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
Hey anons,

I just came back from an overnight trip. I went way over the weight by going with a 45lb backpack just as a dry run of sorts (pack weight was meant to mimic the upcoming 5 day trip weight). A friend of mine went with 60 and I'm worried that for an upcoming 5 day trip he will become a liability. I am trying to figure out where to drop unnecessary weight and make room for food (I could drop the weight for that too) and possibly help him out as well. Off the top of my head the gear I brought along with me were:

Leatherman Wave
Ka Bar BK2
Headlamp
Flashlight (much brighter than the former)
A change of clothes for the night
DD hammock tarp
Tent poles (we split up the tent parts among all of us)
Food for the night
German military surplus poncho (I'm hoping to use this in place of a shell and it fits over my pack nicely)
Adidas shoes
DSLR with 3 lenses
Tripod for the DSLR
Binoculars
Phone
Topographic map

I hope to keep the pack around the same weight, possibly even lower. The 5 day trip does not have any significant elevation gain but is quite long at around 50k for the round trip. I am of average fitness level (1.5 mile is 8:50) and have had previous experience with backcountry living (I lived like that but in a different continent prior to immigrating). Any advice? Pic related was the trip
>>
File: badonny.png (79KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
badonny.png
79KB, 800x500px
>>1046972
Yes.
>>
File: wild.jpg (13KB, 190x215px) Image search: [Google]
wild.jpg
13KB, 190x215px
My parents bought me an internal frame backpack years ago. I've only used it twice, as I have just been doing day hikes and car camping for the past few years. I want to do backpacking.

Has technology changed a lot? Will an internal frame from 2002 that has been safely inside a rubbermaid box do just fine for weekend excursions?

Pic related, it's a CampTrails Wilderness internal frame backpack (off brand of Eureka).
>>
>>1047104
You can likely remove the following:
- Ka Bar B2, you already have the leatherman
- Binoculars
- Hammock tarp, unless there's something specific you need it for
- Fewer camera lenses
- Potentially remove headlamp or flashlight (is the headlamp good enough for hiking? If yes, keep it and ditch flashlight. If no, ditch the headlamp)
>>
>>1047104
You really could only get rid of what, the luxury items like the camera, binoculars, and maybe the BK2 ?

What the fresh hell is he carrying?
>>
>>1047169
>Has technology changed a lot? Will an internal frame from 2002 that has been safely inside a rubbermaid box do just fine for weekend excursions?

It had not changed a lot, mainly just some better materials. A backpack from 2002 will do just fine. It's not worth buying a new pack unless you go more often, so use what you have. If you go often enough you will know what you want from a new bag.
>>
>>1047174
Figured as much. My long term goal is to do the HST or JM trail across the Sierras, with the ultimate goal being the PCT, so it's gonna be lots of shorter trips for the next 2-3 years.
>>
>>1047176
Yeah, for the JMT or the PCT, I'd definitely want a different pack. Smaller and lighter, but there's no need to get it now. And you honestly could do the trail with that bag, I just think it would be worth the $200 to get a nice bag to make the trip more pleasant when the time comes.
>>
>>1038839
Varusteleka Com
>>
>>1047184
I'm sure, this thing is somewhat bulky compared to all the packs I see in REI these days.
>>
>>1039499
Heh ain't a problem if you and me go camping bud ;)
>>
File: mr. flippers.png (943KB, 836x1335px) Image search: [Google]
mr. flippers.png
943KB, 836x1335px
>>1047189
Stop being gay, /out/.
>>
>>1047172
My friend was getting water from the stream there. We didn't have the sawyer minj on hand (it was back at camp) and we were just checking the area out.
>>
>>1047171
I've been practicing with the tarp because I want to use it instead of a tent altogether
>>
>>1038064
made me laugh. have a (you) sir!
>>
>>1047190
It's not gay if there's a third guy watching us, he can make sure nothing gay happens
>>
>>1047373
Wouldn't more guys make it more gay? I think I'll sit this trip out, guys.
>>
>>1042819
YOU HAVE A DOG BUTLER? COOL!!!!
>>
>>1047058
They look great but only come in XXL+, fucking massive.
>>
>>1035440
>>empty calories
u wot m8?
a calorie is a calorie...
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.